Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Aquaman

Underwater origin story has lots of comic book action.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byrand_mhr January 3, 2019

the best family movie in 2018!

great movie, with great story and conflict. the message is deep and good. I highly recommend having a family gathering to discuss what is meant by the movie after watching it. Tell your kids that swearing is not something good.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byPrincess Consuela B. December 29, 2018
The movie is quite long, which usually means that it's good, but they stuffed a lot into it, and it was too much. Some of the lines were just lazy. The beginning was boring, but it got better towards the middle, and there was a good amount of language. Overall, if I were you I would skip the theater for this one. Also, it had some political, important lessons to stop polluting the oceans.

Adult Written byWhat are we tea... February 15, 2019

What are we teaching our kids?

If you want to teach your children that men are in charge, young women must be sexy, mothers can't be sexy, and black people are the bad guys, go see this movie. I'm really getting sick of movies where the women are dressed like sex objects, and begging the man to save them, while the men (except Aquaman of course) are wearing full body armour, as you would if you were going into battle. There were some great scenes, but the overall message was a continuation of the misogyny rampant in our culture. I was happy to see the first female character was not shown with her chest bursting out of her costume, until I saw the young female's costume. Yuck. Wouldn't recommend it, unless you're going to discuss these issue with your kids. Only redeeming feature, the portrayal of what happens when one powerful person is in charge, and sends a bunch of innocent people into war for his own gratification.
Adult Written byTtca December 24, 2018

Fun movie, one drawback

Fun movie, great visual effects. One drawback is the flat performance of Amber Heard
Adult Written byDYP December 23, 2018

Overdone CGI, constant fighting, predictable, plot holes, and generally cheesy. Prob fun for young kids but dull for anyone over 12

Don't expect same quality as Marvel movies. Like Justice League, this is filled with CGI, corny lines, C+ acting, and just lots of big battle scenes from beginning to end. No character development, predictable, etc. Movie could have been a 30 min tv show. If you have kids under 10, they'll prob like it.

Adult Written byTikaaniMoon May 16, 2019

Didn't Live Up to the Hype

With all those advertisements, I was excited to see this movie, but was disappointed when I finally saw it. There were a few dry, corny moments and some weak plotting and scenes. This movie is not very appropriate for younger children due to swearing and suggestive and some materials l found could have been left out.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTyler Crawford May 3, 2019

Really good movie!

A great movie with a good plot, great acting, and brilliant special effects. That been said, there was frequent bad language, and at one point he bad-mouths his brother. At one point there's a knife fighting scene. Not too much blood though. There was one point where these monsters crawl onto their boat, and they have to fight them off, eventually having to swim through a swarm of hundreds of them. Not suitable for under 13s. At the end though Aquaman shows an act of mercy to a character trying to kill him. This would have got a 5 star rating from me, accept for the bad language and that the story just didn't seem to progress; the movie dragged on a little.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byGnasher1001 April 13, 2019

Fun, predictable romp.

Fun film, but it's a 12A in the UK pretty much just for the language, the violence is not bloody at all, bar one injury to Aquaman.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byHendo H. U April 12, 2019

Adult Written byNikirocks April 7, 2019

Feast for the eyes - pretty harmless fun

I prewatched this before taking my 9 year old daughter, and it was a pleasure to get to see it twice on the big screen! It did not disappoint in terms of superhero fun and spectacle. I have a few points in the movie to watch out for. Early on, there is a long fighting sequence involving a takeover of a Russian submarine. There is a stabbing of the captain which my daughter found shocking when I did not manage to cover her eyes in time - oops! Once Aquaman arrives, the fighting becomes more cartoonesque. However, towards the end of this battle, the Villians father dies - he is pinned down in a stricken submarine after a fight with Aquaman, leaving him the choice of drowning or suicide by grenade: his son cannot save him, no matter what he tries. This would have been a hard watch for my daughter - suicide in front of your own son seemed a bit too heavy of a concept, so she skipped that bit. You don’t actually see what happens but it is clear which the dying man has chosen. Then for the most part of the film we bounce from back story flashbacks to action scenes. My daughter found all the underwater stuff thrilling and fantastic. People riding sharks and giant seahorses for goodnesakes - She was beaming! She adored the strong female figures in this movie, even if their costumes were a bit objectifying, but arguably, Aquaman himself is mostly eye candy. Do not go to this film expecting highbrow script and complex plot lines! There was a long sequence involving “Trench Creatures” (about half way through for those waiting with a sheet to put over their children’s head, when our hero and heroine are out to sea on a fishing boat). They have scary thin human/creature bodies with anglerfish heads and they are a bit overwhelming but no one actually gets hurt. Then the final enevitable battle involves lots of fighting and good guys and bad guys alike use their “riding sharks” to bite people in half and do all manor of crazy killing. However, it is such a mass battle that it does not dwell on individual gore. I can’t remember much blood but there is a huge leviathon type creature who some children might find too much at first....but will come to love. My daughter found this all fine, but bear in mind, she is a big superhero fan. As far as Aquaman goes, his heart is in the right place but he is a drinker and he does swear. He could easily rock up as an extra on Sons of Anarchy so I’m not sure he is exactly a role model. I did not find this a problem but maybe some parents might. His smile should win most mums over (!) By the end, the message of good triumphing over evil was strong. My daughter and I were buzzing from the sheer visual craziness that is Aquaman. It has some really fun and visually exciting/beautiful concepts where the creators have played around with what living underwater would be like and that imaginative side was what my daughter took with her from the movie.
Adult Written byRichdoja April 5, 2019

Pure shit

Who ever said that movie was any where near good was paid off. That was easily the worst movie I have seen of 2019 and all of 2018. The Meg was more exciting to watch.
Adult Written byNeon 999 April 5, 2019

A fun but stupid superhero movie

Aquaman was pretty solid the film was visually stunning the action was saysfiying and momoa was charismatic. However the plot was very goofy and poorly paced, the dialouge and humor suckedand so did oram as a villain. Solid pick for ages 10 and up
Parent of a 1 year old Written bybonnbonn1989 April 4, 2019

Love it!

Aquaman is, as of right now, my family's favorite DC Universe superhero movie. It has a very Marvel Comics Universe feel to it. There's action, plot, love, and sympathy. My almost 2 year old even enjoys it. *Some spoilers follow* There is some cussing and comic-book style violence. There's drinking in one scene but it's pretty much portrayed via selfies. There's death but it only really focuses on two (the rest are casualties of fights). One is a pirate who gets stabbed and stuck in a submarine that he then chooses to blow up. His son, who becomes the villain, Manta, then swears to get revenge on Aquaman. The other death is of the Fisherman King. Aquaman's brother stabs and kills him when he refuses to hand over his armies. Ultimately, the good guy wins, obviously, but if your child is sensitive to things like that, I'd be wary. Overall, I think it's a great family movie that has more positives than negatives.

Adult Written bySens11 March 31, 2019

Awesome Sci-Fi/Fantasy epic

This is not a superhero flick. This is a Sci-Fi Fantasy flick and a really good one, best in recent memory, including the new Star Wars films. Strong storytelling with an engaging quest, most characters- both heroes and villains - are properly fleshed out (a couple come across two dimensionally so a slight knock there), visually gorgeous. Adventure, humour, scares, epic battles, individual heroics, role models for boys and girls...this movie has something for everyone (ok, not much in the romance dept ;) ).

Adult Written byPipeCine March 28, 2019

Epic, mythological CGI mega-spectacle blending "Star Wars" and "Avatar" with "Thor: Ragnarok," one for the ages

"Aquaman" is a stunning miracle; the most visually oddball and mesmerizing big-budget superhero film the world has ever seen. Do not misunderstand me, the Arthur Curry solo film is far from perfect, it presents an origin, born-to-be-king story, rhythmically goes from dynamite to languor and storytelling-wise is whimsical and silly dealing with Greek mythology, but that bravery and audacity, coming from a huge budget and an amazing source material, are what makes it an experience as dangerously unconventional as imperfectly extraordinary. It's no secret that the DC Extended Universe went from bad to worse within American comic book film landscape; diabolically histrionic, unnecessarily drawn-out, fiercely dark, overly serious; whatever the dilemma may be, Walter Hamada, the new president of DC-based film production after legends Geoff Johns and Jon Berg stepped down in early 2018, had to move quickly and wisely his cards after "Justice League"'s inglorious financial outcome and poorly critics' response. An angel from heaven, "Wonder Woman" opened at the very right time — #MeToo and #Time's Up, — displayed a powerful war tale of exquisite female empowerment aided by Patty Jenkins' unflinching direction, introduced the only superheroine portrayed on the big screen so far through Gal Gadot' astonishing performance and let free a fictional universe as feminist and uplifting as promising with a few drops of fish-out-of-water humor that put the subsidiary of Warner in competition again. Clearing their minds and knowing what to do and what not to do as for the kind of movie audiences want to see, they left a bunch of projects behind, rewrote some scripts and gave the go-ahead to ideas discussed for a very long time. Among the category of polished and slightly modified scripts, with special emphasis on comedy, was its latest, most risky and pleasant Hollywood chaos. If "Wonder Woman" was somewhat like a Spider-Man for DC, Arthur Curry would oddly be a colorful hybrid with DNA from Tony Stark, Thor and Star-Lord. The King of the Seven Seas has chances to become the most outstanding, fascinating and exotic superhero of the whole combo out there. Momoa gives his role a dominant macho vibe and look, as well as silliness and sarcastic humor that provide much of the funny and not-so-funny jokes spread throughout the feature film. His acting range and rancidity in each of his scenes are the reason why he's so special, so unique, so emotionally relatable and flat-out politically correct. Bigger-sized muscles, two antagonists, responsibility, legacy, kingship, splendid chases, and hand-to-hand combats, we've seen this before, haven't we? — cough, "Black Panther," cough. — But as Ryan Coogler diligently proposed to make a stand against racism, politics, Hollywood's diversity and some other highly important social matters, Wan loosens up and never takes the material too seriously; it's simple: a silly, funny, over-the-top fantasy actioner with two specific purposes on its mind: a message of solving your problems peacefully and an act of redemption for DC; its fuzzy proceedings are what makes it so enjoyable, so strangely magnetic and carefreely brilliant. "Aquaman" is a bona fide rara avis, and one of the big ones. Auteurs entrusted with a nine-digit budget to make an original screenplay a reality— Mr. Christopher Nolan — can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Fewer filmmakers get such whopping sums of money to pull off a bizarre comic book adaptation, which is under the eye of a whole company; judgments, visions and worldwide expectations included. After a hurtful slate of bad decisions and critical misfires, DC changed its mind and left its unexpectedly successful billion-dollar baby to one of the most qualified, professional and creative artists working today in the industry. James Wan is a filmmaker for the ages. Visionary, maestro of horror and action, creator and owner of the most profitable, breathtaking and poignant entry in "Fast & Furious" franchise yet and king of mainstream contemporary horror at the expense of his 2013 vintage masterpiece/hit, a billion-dollar IP from which spin-offs, prequels, and sequels emanate. These endless victories are the reason why the Malay is now Warner's spoiled child, which was more than enough to entrust him one of the riskiest, most crucial projects for the future of DC. His kinetic and idiosyncratic style for action is high and low from stem to stern. Fight sequences are provocative, diligent, straight out of the wildest video game. The filmmaker also finds time to experiment and toy with settings, nearly masterful camera movements and angles, with explosive 90/180-degree rotations he previously tested in the Hobbs vs Shaw hand-to-hand combat in "Furious 7" and then F. Gary Gray in the prison escape in "The Fate of the Furious." The camera savagely runs at the audience, endowing dynamism and thrill in large part by the uber-excellent technical, artful features of a couple of incredibly and masterfully executed sequences that might be easily part of the annals of this postmodern genre. Despite CG-overstuffed, even in scenes perfectly filmable in real locations, the film does not limit its creative faculties. We all agree that CGI is everywhere and at all times, which might constantly divert attention from the flick's narrative purpose. Its aesthetics and visual fearlessness, however, make pictures an alluring spectacle propelled by truly great VFX. So far, far away from the gigantic old-fashioned set-pieces of modern Hollywood masterpieces as "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "Mission: Impossible - Fallout," and yet the film's an artificial delight. By taking place mostly underwater, it was to be expected that even with the enthusiasm and commitment of the crew, it needed to be conceived or at least rendered digitally. Wan and his team created an entirely unique aquatic world for us, certainly embellished by Don Burgess, which is over-the-top, dazzling and exciting, absorbent and carefully designed, is pure visual ecstasy crowded with creatures, altered animals, Atlantic beasts and, why not, an octopus playing the drums. There is time for natural, majestic landscapes as well, such as a beautiful Italian village, the stunning Sahara desert or the claustrophobic Trench. Portraying the fantasy-tinged Greek mythology from the comics sounds heavy, but it pulls it off fabulously with inventiveness and audacity unusual in big-budget cinema. In the end, it's appreciated that this extremely gorgeous world, harmonized by the high-sounding techno-compositions of an unbeatable Rupert Gregson-Williams, is not only a reflection of the cinema of our time, but a reminder of the magnificence sound and image can achieve. Kidman nails it as Atlanna, a kind of character not entirely foreign to her if you take a look at the prolific career of the "Eyes Wide Shut" actress. After the ten-minute prologue and a surprise appearance amid the story, she does have no time on screen. Still and all, her interpretative balance between fish-out-of-water humor and family drama puts her in a strange yet brilliant position; a golden gift for the genre. Played by Amber Heard, Mera's design is literally and figuratively sparkling; she's the one who leads a couple of commendable sequences that breathe #MeToo. Willem Dafoe as Vulko embraces ambiguity, having fun in a simple, smaller role that doesn't seem to agree with his previous efforts, especially keeping in mind that after the eccentric characters he delivered to the genre, the actor has focused on more serious, raw roles in outstanding dramas by Sean Baker and Julian Schnabel. Patrick Wilson and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, King Orm and Manta respectively, wrongly take turns for being the bad guy. It's hard to tell who and where is the real villain here, whether in the ambition of the former or the anger-driven vengeance of the latter. They both try their best, but the material does not help them at all. "Aquaman" by horror mastermind James Wan is a cinematic oddity; it has an irregular pace, speaks louder than it should, ergo runs longer than it should, but even so, Arthur Curry's first solo adventure is the most playful, hilarious, rewarding and profitable comic book adaptation you will find in the troubled DC Cinematic Universe to date. Even if my voice is shaking, I dare say it is the most eye-catching, wildly stunning sci-fi show I have seen into a big-impact Hollywood production since James Cameron's "Avatar," visually speaking. To make your life easier, "Aquaman" could be synthesized like this: "Black Panther" and "Star Wars" meet "Avatar" and "Jupiter Ascending," and these, in turn, bump into "Thor: Ragnarok," energized by a kinetic video game vibe and an unhealthy dose of toxic masculinity and sheer spectacle.

Adult Written byahmed aiman 99 March 15, 2019

All hail the true King, James Wan!

Callmeyourkingsobeit: The Movie. It's admittedly overlong because it's overstuffed with too many story-lines, and a long introductory opening sequence that could, and should, have easily been omitted; as there are many better-executed flashbacks which are more than enough. Add to this the fact that the aforementioned opening sequence is filled with cringe-inducing moments, including those which concern the romantic aspect, which is, in my opinion, the only silly thing that didn't work in the movie. That said, the movie is packed with thrilling, kinetic, and meticulously designed and choreographed action set-pieces, in which you really can follow the action and the liberated fight sequences buoyed by raucous deluge of dazzling array of visual effects. Replicating underwater movement, and offering exotic creatures and characters' outfits that contrast the deep blue sea with splashes of bright colors, James Wan did a tremendous job creating an underwater world that's a visual feast that's consistently boasting a visual feast for the eyes. I enjoyed the out-of-water action sequences more, they are better and more masterfully designed than those that take place underwater; but nothing can compete with the stunning free-flowing underwater action scenes from the visual standpoint. Aside from Furious 7, Wan's filmography is strictly horror related, having launched franchises in his own right with Saw and The Conjuring. Here we can see that he still uses his background in horror to deliver some moments that have shocking and surprising value, and they are quite effective. It's not hard to tell that the entire cast and crew went all out. Their dedication does not go unnoticed. All the cast did their best to give a strong comeback, considering that most of them once had a quite promising and auspicious career. As for Jason Momoa, he really shines as the titular superhero. His physical appearance suits the badass character that the DCEU wanted to make from the get-go. He looks and fights as if he is a WWE superstar! Amber Heard is great, and the chemistry between her Indiana Jonesian character, Mera and Momoa's Aquaman is electric and gripping. They make an awesome dynamic duo, and their sugary cheerful relationship made up for the nauseating, saccharine romance of Tom Curry and Queen Atlanna. The two villains have quite compelling background and convincing motives. And each one's sub-plot never overshadows the other's. Also, Patrick Wilson and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II are pretty good. Aquaman is An Extremely Cool and Bad-ass Epic Fantasy Adventure of Cheesiness! It's decidedly a step in the right direction for DC. I still think Wonder Woman is the best movie in their extended universe, so far; but Aquaman is now my personal favorite. (8/10)

Adult Written byfrbi32rn February 24, 2019

Not terrible

Amber Heard is really hot, so is Aquaman. Amber brings in some feminist ideas and some about pollution. You get to see the humanity of the villain in the first part when he has to watch his dad die. You also get to see the humanity of the mother of the hero.
Adult Written byCriticus February 23, 2019

Aquaman Goes Off Swimmingly!

I'm not here to preach the tremendous virtues of Aquaman's story, characters and message - by reason that the story and characters are entirely simple, non-developed and predictable, and the meaning non-existent. I'm here to tell you how FUN and COOL this movie is. As Aquaman says (to great effect) at a climactic moment: "I'm bringing the wrath of the Seven Seas with me". That's the flick in a nutshell. No-one's going to ball their eyes out (I'd like to hear if I'm proved wrong on the point, though!) or change their minds about any serious topics on this film's count. It's about good solid action, and having the time of your life watching it! Aquaman deliberately embraces a kind of cliché - a reinvention of the classic 90's action tough-man genre - and adds drum-beating octopus and a talking crab king. It feels like a self-conscious parody of what's come before it in all the best ways, and although it can't be taken too seriously, this goofy fantasy wins it a crown (or trident?) of gold in the long run. The action sequences feel perhaps more akin to Marvel's action than DC has ever felt before - yet different. James Wan's talent comes across in the kinetic, dynamic flow of choreography and visuals constantly on display, and in the design of the novel Trench monsters. I can understand now the appeal of seeing Aquaman in cinemas (especially IMAX), as it's truely a spectacle to behold, and has all the makings of a true popcorn movie. As reported unhappily by other CSM reviewers, the costumes on display tend to objectify the women, hugging the skin and exposing cleavage. There are a couple of kisses, one quite long, with characters half-hugging each other. And of course, Jason Momoa himself often goes shirtless. There's definitely violence, though mostly of a relatively mild nature. The movie presents some problems for families, as the language adds some maturity; unfortunately it didn't have the good taste to avoid "sh**", "d*ck", "ass", and "hell". The word "bast**d" is often used in relation to Arthur's parentage.

Adult Written byGeeEchoes February 13, 2019

Mixed timeline in Aquaman

In Aquaman they said Arthur hadn't been to Atlantis and they mentioned him defeating Stephen Wolf from Justice League. But when Stephen Wolf attacked Atlantis in Justice league, Aquaman swam all the way down to Atlantis to fight Stephen Wolf. How did he know Atlantis then, when he didn't know Atlantis in the Aquaman movie.
Adult Written byJthompson222 February 10, 2019

Violent with foul language.