Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Aquaman

Underwater origin story has lots of comic book action.

Adult Written bygonzofilmguy December 29, 2018

Momoa is Pretty but the Movie is Pretty Bad

Stupidest superhero movie ever - terrible story - horrible dialog - bad acting - but Jason Momoa is pretty. - I had great hopes that Aquaman was going to live up to the hype unfortunately it drowns in a sea of inane dialog, poorly acted scenes, and predictable fight sequences. I didn't notice the bad language but others have commented elsewhere that it isn't suitable for small children, I don't think it's suitable for adults either so I'm not sure who the films audience really is. - I had a bad feeling right from the start of the film when the lighthouse keeper discovers a beautiful wounded merwoman on the rocks near his lighthouse. Of course he takes her in dresses her wounds and they fall in love and have a baby. As if the queen of an undersea empire would abandon the post she had been trained for since birth, take up with the technologically less advanced landlubber, and have a child with super ocean powers that nevertheless grows up to be a musclebound confident defender of the ocean. If you made it through that paragraph without gagging, you should go see the movie, you'll love it. - It just gets worse from there frequently giving the impression that the script was written to showcase the CGI sequences instead of the actors. The cast has plenty of starpower but it is totally wasted with predictable conflicts between the ocean factions, the pureblood would be king and his bastard half-breed brother, and a made up mercenary villian that never really develops into a credible threat. - All in all the two and a half hour joy ride left me tired and impatient for some real action. DC should just license their characters to Marvel for any future movies so that we can really enjoy the characters that we came to love as kids. - Don't bother to see this in the theater, save your money for the special collectors deluxe extended edition with special features ... this film needs all the help it can get.
Adult Written byBagpusscat January 5, 2019

First ten mins is pure violence

I had already checked out the reviews before taking my (almost 9 year old) son., so thought it would be fine. I was wrong. The first ten mins were so violent; machine type guns, fight scenes, doors being smashed into people’s faces and stabbing with a trident. OK, you don’t see blood - but there must have been about 15+ people beaten up or killed in the opening scenes, which is pretty full on and uncomfortable. We walked out after 10 mins and so did another parent in the cinema (her son was almost 10). We chatted outside and everyone agreed, including the kids, it was way too much. I would avoid this film with any kids under 12yrs. Plus the script and acting was already dire. Save your money x

Adult Written byCalicopp December 21, 2018

9.7/10

Too much water
Parent of a 14 year old Written byrand_mhr January 3, 2019

the best family movie in 2018!

great movie, with great story and conflict. the message is deep and good. I highly recommend having a family gathering to discuss what is meant by the movie after watching it. Tell your kids that swearing is not something good.

Adult Written byBAscione December 30, 2018

Very violent, lots of foul language, poor plot

Wildly violent. Stretches and stretches of thin plot and just violence and language. My 13 year old asked to leave.

Adult Written byteddy2 December 31, 2018
Written byAnonymous December 24, 2018
Adult Written byAhlanderj January 1, 2019

Adult Written bySomeSJW January 25, 2019

Shows how water if vital for life.

My child always complains at restaurants that he wants a soda but I get him water instead. I took him to see this movie, and now he understands how important water is for your body. Now he is a water enthusiast.

Adult Written byWhat are we tea... February 15, 2019

What are we teaching our kids?

If you want to teach your children that men are in charge, young women must be sexy, mothers can't be sexy, and black people are the bad guys, go see this movie. I'm really getting sick of movies where the women are dressed like sex objects, and begging the man to save them, while the men (except Aquaman of course) are wearing full body armour, as you would if you were going into battle. There were some great scenes, but the overall message was a continuation of the misogyny rampant in our culture. I was happy to see the first female character was not shown with her chest bursting out of her costume, until I saw the young female's costume. Yuck. Wouldn't recommend it, unless you're going to discuss these issue with your kids. Only redeeming feature, the portrayal of what happens when one powerful person is in charge, and sends a bunch of innocent people into war for his own gratification.
Parent Written byCriticus February 23, 2019

Aquaman Goes Off Swimmingly!

I'm not here to preach the tremendous virtues of Aquaman's story, characters and message - by reason that the story and characters are entirely simple, non-developed and predictable, and the meaning non-existent. I'm here to tell you how FUN and COOL this movie is. As Aquaman says (to great effect) at a climactic moment: "I'm bringing the wrath of the Seven Seas with me". That's the flick in a nutshell. No-one's going to ball their eyes out (I'd like to hear if I'm proved wrong on the point, though!) or change their minds about any serious topics on this film's count. It's about good solid action, and having the time of your life watching it! Aquaman deliberately embraces a kind of cliché - a reinvention of the classic 90's action tough-man genre - and adds drum-beating octopus and a talking crab king. It feels like a self-conscious parody of what's come before it in all the best ways, and although it can't be taken too seriously, this goofy fantasy wins it a crown (or trident?) of gold in the long run. The action sequences feel perhaps more akin to Marvel's action than DC has ever felt before - yet different. James Wan's talent comes across in the kinetic, dynamic flow of choreography and visuals constantly on display, and in the design of the novel Trench monsters. I can understand now the appeal of seeing Aquaman in cinemas (especially IMAX), as it's truely a spectacle to behold, and has all the makings of a true popcorn movie. As reported unhappily by other CSM reviewers, the costumes on display tend to objectify the women, hugging the skin and exposing cleavage. There are a couple of kisses, one quite long, with characters half-hugging each other. And of course, Jason Momoa himself often goes shirtless. There's definitely violence, though mostly of a relatively mild nature. The movie presents some problems for families, as the language adds some maturity; unfortunately it didn't have the good taste to avoid "sh**", "d*ck", "ass", and "hell". The word "bast**d" is often used in relation to Arthur's parentage.

Adult Written by[email protected] January 11, 2019

Um...it was ok...I guess

I never thought Aquaman was 'movie-worthy'.....and I was right....I just went to see Jason...outside of that, too many dumb fighting scenes and I really didn't care for the language...like I said, I just went to see Jason...

Parent of a 14 year old Written byPrincess Consuela B. December 29, 2018
The movie is quite long, which usually means that it's good, but they stuffed a lot into it, and it was too much. Some of the lines were just lazy. The beginning was boring, but it got better towards the middle, and there was a good amount of language. Overall, if I were you I would skip the theater for this one. Also, it had some political, important lessons to stop polluting the oceans.

Adult Written byTtca December 24, 2018

Fun movie, one drawback

Fun movie, great visual effects. One drawback is the flat performance of Amber Heard
Adult Written byDYP December 23, 2018

Overdone CGI, constant fighting, predictable, plot holes, and generally cheesy. Prob fun for young kids but dull for anyone over 12

Don't expect same quality as Marvel movies. Like Justice League, this is filled with CGI, corny lines, C+ acting, and just lots of big battle scenes from beginning to end. No character development, predictable, etc. Movie could have been a 30 min tv show. If you have kids under 10, they'll prob like it.

Adult Written byTikaaniMoon May 16, 2019

Didn't Live Up to the Hype

With all those advertisements, I was excited to see this movie, but was disappointed when I finally saw it. There were a few dry, corny moments and some weak plotting and scenes. This movie is not very appropriate for younger children due to swearing and suggestive and some materials l found could have been left out.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTyler Crawford May 3, 2019

Really good movie!

A great movie with a good plot, great acting, and brilliant special effects. That been said, there was frequent bad language, and at one point he bad-mouths his brother. At one point there's a knife fighting scene. Not too much blood though. There was one point where these monsters crawl onto their boat, and they have to fight them off, eventually having to swim through a swarm of hundreds of them. Not suitable for under 13s. At the end though Aquaman shows an act of mercy to a character trying to kill him. This would have got a 5 star rating from me, accept for the bad language and that the story just didn't seem to progress; the movie dragged on a little.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byGnasher1001 April 13, 2019

Fun, predictable romp.

Fun film, but it's a 12A in the UK pretty much just for the language, the violence is not bloody at all, bar one injury to Aquaman.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byHendo H. U April 12, 2019

Adult Written byNikirocks April 7, 2019

Feast for the eyes - pretty harmless fun

I prewatched this before taking my 9 year old daughter, and it was a pleasure to get to see it twice on the big screen! It did not disappoint in terms of superhero fun and spectacle. I have a few points in the movie to watch out for. Early on, there is a long fighting sequence involving a takeover of a Russian submarine. There is a stabbing of the captain which my daughter found shocking when I did not manage to cover her eyes in time - oops! Once Aquaman arrives, the fighting becomes more cartoonesque. However, towards the end of this battle, the Villians father dies - he is pinned down in a stricken submarine after a fight with Aquaman, leaving him the choice of drowning or suicide by grenade: his son cannot save him, no matter what he tries. This would have been a hard watch for my daughter - suicide in front of your own son seemed a bit too heavy of a concept, so she skipped that bit. You don’t actually see what happens but it is clear which the dying man has chosen. Then for the most part of the film we bounce from back story flashbacks to action scenes. My daughter found all the underwater stuff thrilling and fantastic. People riding sharks and giant seahorses for goodnesakes - She was beaming! She adored the strong female figures in this movie, even if their costumes were a bit objectifying, but arguably, Aquaman himself is mostly eye candy. Do not go to this film expecting highbrow script and complex plot lines! There was a long sequence involving “Trench Creatures” (about half way through for those waiting with a sheet to put over their children’s head, when our hero and heroine are out to sea on a fishing boat). They have scary thin human/creature bodies with anglerfish heads and they are a bit overwhelming but no one actually gets hurt. Then the final enevitable battle involves lots of fighting and good guys and bad guys alike use their “riding sharks” to bite people in half and do all manor of crazy killing. However, it is such a mass battle that it does not dwell on individual gore. I can’t remember much blood but there is a huge leviathon type creature who some children might find too much at first....but will come to love. My daughter found this all fine, but bear in mind, she is a big superhero fan. As far as Aquaman goes, his heart is in the right place but he is a drinker and he does swear. He could easily rock up as an extra on Sons of Anarchy so I’m not sure he is exactly a role model. I did not find this a problem but maybe some parents might. His smile should win most mums over (!) By the end, the message of good triumphing over evil was strong. My daughter and I were buzzing from the sheer visual craziness that is Aquaman. It has some really fun and visually exciting/beautiful concepts where the creators have played around with what living underwater would be like and that imaginative side was what my daughter took with her from the movie.