All member reviews for Argo

Teen, 13 years old Written byZdn312 October 19, 2012

Amazing movie

Great movie. No blood. Some language but nothing teens don't hear on a daily basis.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 October 14, 2012

Argo(2012)

Argo is a well crafted drama thriller that has great direction by Ben Affleck. The movie has a consistent tone that alway's has a vibe of fresh smell we have had in years. The movie suprisingly has alot of laughs. SPOILER: the joke Bryan Cranston & Ben Affleck and the dad from The Change-Up make up "Argo ---- yourself" is hilarious. Overall, Argo is one of the most thoughtful and well crafted films in 2012.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 15, 2012

The Best Movie of the Year so Far.

This is an amazing movie its intense and kind of disturbing. The language is pretty strong and there is a ton of smoking. But the main character is a great role model.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristian Movie Buff October 30, 2012

....it's even a true story

I was really excited to see this movie and I got what I wanted out of it. It was very engaging, funny and suspenseful. The acting and directing was excellent and pacing was pristine.Granted there were about 25 f-words in the movie, but it didn't ruin the film for me. It was also very uplifting with positive messages. Also lets remember that this is a true story which makes it even better. I'd say this film is already for kids who are least 15 or 16 years of age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustino4 October 15, 2012

Didn't Blow Me Away But Good

I thought this movie was going to blow me away. It didn't. It is without a doubt a good movie either way.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 14, 2012

The best thriller of the year by far!

Boy does "Argo" deliver. I went into this knowing close to nothing about the Iran Hostage Crisis and came out with more knowledge than I would've learned at school! The casting is...well it's just perfect, I think Cranston gave the best performance, but Arkin gave the funniest! The suspense near the end is nail-biting, and the whole film goes by in a flash. I loved "Argo," and I'm sure the Academy will agree with me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 October 28, 2012

epic thriller is very taught, very intense.

this expertly made, extremely taught thriller is one of the best films of the year. it's a smart, well acted, well made piece of filmmaking that will probably be up for an Oscar or 2. this tense political movie does not have many things that will turn off kids. the beginning is very realistic and even has real footage of people starving and dying. there is even an image of a person hanging upsidedown with bloody holes in his body. other violent scenes include the take over of the embassy shown in real footage and in reenacted. people brake things, soldiers fire tear gas, and there is overall suspense. there are also images of firing squads, and quick, bloodless shooting, and real and fake images of people hanging. otherwise, there is lots of language, with frequent uses of f**k, s***, a** and others. there is an image of a nude woman bathing in milk and we see her bare butt. some skimpy costumes are shown. people also smoke and drink heavily in many scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byUSNA19 October 21, 2012

Argo: This Movie Will Win Some Oscars!

This is an excellent movie for anyone whether they have an interest in the Iran Hostage Crisis or not. In history class, we`ve touched on this, but didn`t really talk about the 6 who escaped. This is a realistic movie that portrays how there were some serious tensions during that time between countries, and how we worked with Canada to get the 6 out of Iran. Fast paced, daring, and bold, this is something that is truly a must see. Ben Affleck really did an outstanding job on this one, and the supporting cast is amazing too. As far as what age should be allowed to see it, I`d say 15 for sure and up. Yes, it has a R rating, but there isn`t too much violence as one might think. There is absolutely no blood and gore, and really, from all that I remember, there are dead bodies shown, and some violent demonstrations (i.e., burning the American flag, protesters chanting and shouting, storming the buildings, etc.) but no brutal killings and whatnot. The only reason it`s rated R as far as I could tell is because of the intense language used. In all honesty, I`ve heard worse at the high school, but there really is a lot of language in this movie, especially the f-word....the whole tag line of the film is "Argo, f-yourself", so it`s said repeatedly, among other words. There`s also heavy smoking, and some drinking. Affleck is depicted at one point in time smoking cigarette after cigarette and drinking a bottle of scotch or vodka, or something alcoholic. There`s also a few tense scenes that aren`t violent, but there`s a lot of yelling and frenzy and stuff that sub 13 year olds probably shouldn`t see. That said, there IS positive role models/messages. The U.S. government and Canada works together to get out the 6, the ambassador of Canada is risking his life and his wife`s life to harbor 6 Americans who are wanted, and Affleck`s character, CIA agent Tony Mendez never gives up on getting the 6 out, even after major setbacks and obstacles. All in all, I`d say POSSIBLY a very mature 14 year old could see it, but in all honesty, 15 and up is safe for this one. It`s a terrific movie that really helps our generation who wasn`t around then see what happened, and for all ages, it shows what it felt like to be a hostage, not knowing if your next move would kill you, or whether or not you`d be able to see the light of day again. Fast paced, breathtaking, and exciting, it makes you feel as if you`re working right alongside of Mendez (Affleck) and at the end, it`s truly amazing, as a speech from President Carter is heard, and they compare photos from the real like 6 to the actors that played them. 5 starts hands down, see it; it`s no waste of money.
Kid, 9 years old November 4, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS

THIS IS THE RUDEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTruthForYouIdoits November 4, 2012

An almost family movie

This was a great movie that keeps your attention the whole way through. I loved almost everything about this movie and if swearing isn't an issue for your kids then this would be a perfect movie for most ages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCaden147 November 24, 2012

10/10 great movie and ok for teens

I know I'm just a 13 year old but please hear me out. I saw this movie on my 13th birthday and LOVED IT. Its a 10/10 movie. I was very surprised to find VERY little violence in this movie. There was no sex at all but there was language. Id say about 35-45 f words. Over all i guess just kniw your clild, if he has heard the f word and is ok with it they they can see this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byRehan Sagarwala November 4, 2012

Argo, the movie that actually told the truth

This was the best movie movie I have ever seen this year(even better than The Dark Knight Rises).Argo is about the 1979 hostage crisis in Iran.Argo didn't really have any violence.One guy was shot and you see a dead body on the crane(on a construction site).Argo literally kept me on the edge of my seat.Especially the end.My heart was pumping faster and faster as the movie went on.The movie was mainly set in Iran.The movie had a total of 25 f bombs and one hand gesture.Overall,this was this was an amazing movie and I recommend it to someone that is either 14 or over.Little kids(1-12) won't get it and a 13 year old might not get it.GO SEE THIS MOVIE IF YOU ARE 14 OR OVER!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 November 10, 2012

Intense Escape Thriller can be seen by mature teens

Teen, 13 years old Written byiLovett November 22, 2012

Argo, amazing.

Argo was one of the best films I saw in 2012. Without using the words "f--k" and "s--t" this movie would easily be rated PG or PG-13. This movie has beautiful cinematography, great acting, and a great message. The main character is a great role model, I came out inspired and with a great respect for the people who risk their lives everyday doing these things.
Kid, 10 years old November 18, 2012

Get Ready To Hear "Argo for Best Picture"

No movie being showcased by this year's Toronto International Film Festival caught our interest as much as Ben Affleck's directorial follow up to The Town. Argo, based on a true story and starring Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman and Adam Arkin, tells the astonishingly true story of how a CIA exfiltration specialist attempts to free six Americans who have taken shelter in the home of the Canadian Ambassador during the Iranian hostage crisis. The story opens on November 4, 1979 when Islamist militants took control of the U.S. Embassy in Iran. 52 Americans were taken hostage and held for 444 days until their eventual release. But six American's were able to sneak out of the Embassy and find refuge unbeknownst to the Iranian rebels. The CIA, lead by agent Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) hatched a plan to rescue the house entrapped Americans by posing as producers of a fictional science fiction film. The idea was that Mendez would land in Iran and then convince the six Americans to assume roles as screenwriters, directors and co-producers of the film and they would all fly out of the country together once location scouting was complete in 48 hours. In an effort to have the mission legitimized, Mendez recruited Hollywood producer Lester Siegel and Special Effects man John Chambers to green-light the script and give the entire project credibility. If the entire notion of the plan sounds like something that only Hollywood could come up with – well, you're half right. But Affleck sticks to the facts of the true events and ravels a bite-your-nails type thriller that is guaranteed to be rewarded with year-end nominations for Best Picture, Best Director and most certainly Best Supporting Actor for Alan Arkin. Every note, every frame of Argo looks authentic. Affleck, who received incredible support for his last directorial effort, The Town, ups the ante and films Argo with the confidence of a maestro at the top of his game. The movie shifts between locations of Iran, Hollywood and both the CIA Headquarters and even the White House in this brilliantly crafted adventure. Each scene and character oozes with atmosphere and purpose and Affleck confidently and flawlessly directs himself as the expected hero of the film – a man who risks his own life and career for the lives of six strangers. Towards the concluding chapters of the film, audiences are sure to be on the edge of their seats – even if they are aware of the historically recorded outcome (shades of Apollo 13). Once the rescue attempt his its apex, the audience at the Toronto screening erupted in an applause never before experienced by this reviewer in his thousands of theatrical screenings. That reaction is a testament to Affleck's direction that grabbed audiences by the emotional drawstrings keeping us involved in our character's fates and caring for their safe return. Argo is not only an important piece of history that many of us were completely oblivious – but it is also one of the better films
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 November 12, 2012

Fascinating true story, but boy, is it intense!

For a movie based on a true story, 'Argo' is VERY intense. The whole movie isn't dramatic or intense throughout as there are several funny scenes to lighten the mood, but keep in mind this is one has some very tense moments especially when the six hostages and Ben Affleck's character attempt to escape Iran and go home with angry revolutionaries on their tails with guns in their hands - the whole scene is at least 15 minutes long and definitely has your anxieties going - even if you know what happens because you remember the event in real life (if you were around back then). Along with the frequent tense sequences, there is (not surprisingly) point-blank gun-fire and imagery of a man being hung on public streets. Language isn't frequent (although it's fairly frequent towards the beginning of the movie) but it does include several f-bombs (including an ongoing joke involving the movie's title + f-yourself), the s-word, the d-word, b*stard, and more. Sex isn't an issue. Since the movie takes place in 1979, there is some smoking and drinking - two common acts back in the day. As for positive role models - the main character, Tony Mendez risks his life for an all-or-nothing quest to save six innocent American hostages and the CIA helps out the cause even if they're a little reluctant to join in. Kids and teens may learn about the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979 and how truly scary this event was in American history. Kids shouldn't see this due to its language and tense moments, but older teens should be okay to see this - just let them know about the movie's story - that it really happened and make sure they know what's going on because otherwise (unless they pick up the storyline during the movie) they may not know what is going on.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShine Easton January 29, 2013

A must-see

Argo was a wonderful film, but faces the harsh reality of what happens in the world. For mature kids!!!
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2012

Argo: Must See for Older Tweens!!

Argo is an inspiring important movie that everyone over the age of 11 should see. It has a lot of language, has some moderate violence, and some drinking and smoking. But it is a great powerful movie. Great for mature 11 year olds. It is a great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywilsonbiggs February 28, 2013

Best for teens who know anything about politics

It has a good number of curse words, but the story is really great.
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2013

Let the truth be known

as long as your kid understands that the US did nothing and sat there buts on the ground begging canadians then they can watch it. Let the truth be known