All member reviews for Argo

Taut political thriller based on real-life escape from Iran.

Adult Written bydavyborn November 13, 2012

Thought provoking and well made historical thriller. Educational value okay for teens+

Ben Affleck (The Town, Gone Baby Gone) has fashioned a masterpiece, with this year's shoe-in for Best Picture at the Academy Awards next March. Argo, a factual, historical thriller based upon real-life events, which are interwoven with an incredibly far-fetched but absolutely real attempt at a hostage rescuer's (Affleck) attempt at going into Tehran, during the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis. Now, that sounds reasonably simple enough, but, if you have seen the ads for the film, you will know that there is a major twist to that sitatuon: In order to safely infiltrate the country and remove the American hostages hiding out in Iran, Tony Mendez, who is played by Affleck, here, devises an incredibly imaginative plan to get them out, by enlisting the help of a hollywood makeup artist (John Goodmen, in another dynamite performance) and an aging ang slightly bitter hollywood producer (Alan Arkin), to go into the country as a charade that Mendez is actually filming a movie in the country, and that the hostages that he is trying to rescue from that country are put into the disguise of the film crew. Now, that may sound far-fetched, and believe me, I know how it sounds, but this is still based off of a completely true story, and, Affleck, who, after years of mostly mediocre performances and hackjob entrys substituting for real acting, finally scores huge, here. Like the Town, he both directs and stars in this film, and it can mainly be described as an experience of awe-inspiring daring, educational and informative historical accounts, fantastic acting, pulse-pounding intensity and humor. It is a hard sell, but Argo manages to be all of those things done to a degree of very near perfection. Really, Argo is one of those rare films this year, like Prometheus, Looper, Savages and Sinister, that you just simply must watch again, and you want to, as soon as it ends. Plus, it is not a bad thing that it also has one of the best casts of the year, with the previously mentioned Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston, Phillip Baker Hall, Victor Garber and Clea Duvall, with Arkin providing much of the films humor, and Goodman cheerfully joning in, but working very well together in scenes near the end, where a hgih level of dramatic intensity is required in there performances, and they absolutely nail it. Also fanastic, hear, is Affleck, who, I previously talked about as the director of this thrill ride, but really does put down one of his absolute best performances, here, keeping a level eye on low-brow comedy, but jumping into gear when the films more traumatic scenes take there courses. But, now, when I really think about it, there just isn't a bad performance in this movie. It is just, all around oscar-worthy work from everyone involved, here, and deserves the audiences attention, when they are on screen. Now, despite the fact that Argo sports an R Rating, I would like to make something perfectly clear to parents and everyone else reading this and trying to decide whether or not this film is suitable for there teens, based off of Ben Affleck's track record for previously directed films: Unlike The Town, Argo does not assault the viewer with brutal violence, and extremely pervasive language. While it does contain nearly 30 uses of the F-word, and does have some extreme intensity, substituting for violence, this is a much less gritty film, and, as such, could be used as educational material and, of course, doubling as great entertainment for teens. So, while I think that Argo is one of the very best films of the year, come next March during the 2012 Academy Awards Cermony, while I certainly hope that this fim will gain multiple oscar nominations, I cannot completely count on it winning best picture. Still, here's to hoping, at the very least. Reccomended.
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2013

Let the truth be known

as long as your kid understands that the US did nothing and sat there buts on the ground begging canadians then they can watch it. Let the truth be known
Parent Written byDan G. February 22, 2013

Still an R-rated movie due to uncountable F-bombs.

The language used in this movie is vulgar and profane. The number of times the f-bomb is dropped is uncountable. The story itself can be disturbing, although the values portrayed are largely good. There is a referance to abortion. If the language of this movie had been cleaned up some, it would have be appropriate for older teens.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byTuesdayBear November 3, 2012

Excellent movie, not to be missed

This truly is a very well-done film. Yes, there are historical inaccuracies, but they don't detract from the overall tone of the subject. If anything, this film should inspire the audience to learn more about this event in our history. From an educator's viewpoint, there is potential for some good discussion from this film. As a parent, I would hesitate to show this movie to anyone below the 10th grade level. I just don't see that many people below that age would have much interest in it. The violence is minimal given the topic, but there are disturbing scenes that I certainly would not show to anyone below the high school level. I also disagree with the CM review that the casting of Affleck was a poor choice. I thought he did a fine job. Furthermore, I felt the inclusion of his character's family life added to the story, rather than detracted. After all, the preservation of American family life is a fundamental reason why we involve ourselves in issues like this. That concept wasn't just a cute side story - it was a reminder of how much we take for granted.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

Great movie.

An Awsome movie! I am 11 and it is a great movie. New favorit, has minor minor violence and well TONS of language and some drinking and smoking but the language is all the time f*ck sh*t f*ck p*ck. other wise any mature 11 or 12 year old could watch it but probebaly best for 14. Anywho great movie (a must see). And reply to: kid 9 years old said: (not for kids) THIS IS THE RUDEST MOVIE I HAVE EVR SEEN, he/she is good at lieing, not anything close to what he/she said, it is not rude positive message's and positive role models. So Argo fart on yourself.
Parent Written byOaksmom November 4, 2012

Better for kids than most PG-13 action movies

There is a lot of swearing in this film, and yes the one image of a swinging corpse is gruesome. But compared to a lot of "action hero" movies rated PG-13, I would rather have my kids see this than those. At least there are true heroes in this movie. Just discuss the language and the one or two graphic scenes with them afterward.
Parent Written byLSU Mom March 2, 2013

Good for Older Teens

Excessive smoking and profuse bad language, both probably pretty closed aligned with reality of the 70s, particularly in political and Hollywood circles. There is an early reference to abortion, which I tied to the proximity of Roe v Wade to the time frame, probably also in context with the era. Other than that, a good history lesson for kids. The movie seemed seriously dedicated to sticking closely with factual information.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byvictizing April 22, 2013

Really good and should be pg-13

It's so good but like 10 uses of f--k, and two characters make a joke saying "Argo f--k yourself", there are some hung dead bodies, characters are shot, and people come door to door to find the hostages,but there is a message about not giving up.It's really more pg-13
Parent Written bySinfoniarc March 23, 2013

A Fine Film For A Child Of The Right Age

One thing that I'm sure will be over-looked regarding this film is that some will view this film as being offensive towards the people of Iran. While I personally do not, be sure to be sensitive to the fact that the United States is portrayed as "the good guys" while we are at least partially responsible for creating the situation depicted in the film. If your children are not familiar with this incident in American history, you might do well to pre-educate before letting your teenagers watch this film. Especially in a post-9/11 society, it will be easy for children who don't fully understand the situation to take on anti-Middle Eastern attitudes that may or may not be fair. There is not any nudity to speak of but the movie portrays a very real sense of terror and suspense surrounding the situation. The film has a fair amount of bad language in it, but I suppose it's appropriate for the situations portrayed. This film is drastically different from anything else that Ben Affleck has ever been a part of and it blows the rest away by comparison. There's a reason why this movie won the Oscar for Best Picture and you'll see why when you rent it.
Parent of a 10, 14, and 16 year old Written byGOOD MOTHER March 24, 2013

Argo was a good movie just note that some small parts may be a bit much for young ones.

I thought that kids at a certain age should see this so that they can understand some history and at the same time please keep in mind it has three parts to the movie that show some very near nudity. The first was at the beginning on the movie and it shows a drawing of a naked women the next is of two women in very revealing customs when the contact the sci-fi man. The third was when they try to convince the media of the movie and they have women dressed in very reveling costumes again. You may want the kiddos to turn around in these parts. I understand that this is history and what happened so they couldn't change it to much. Theses scenes don’t show very long they are brief parts of the movie. There was some bad langue and casual drinking and smoking did happen as well. Violence was talked about and showed throughout the movie but not too harsh. The most disturbing was when they showed a man hanging but again was brief. Over all I enjoyed the movie with my 15 and 16 year old children and just had them turn around for the parts I thought were inappropriate. The movie has a great story of courage hope and shows life lessons.
Parent Written bythenoah December 17, 2012

One of the best films ever made

This is one of the greatest movies ever made. There is a lot of language, but that is it. This movie is okay for kids eleven and up. Its very intense, and has you at the very edge of your seat. Tony Mendez is definitely a role model. This movie will go down in the books as a classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 1, 2013

Canadians are so nice.

This movie is close to flawless, it's extremely tense, slow moving, and well written and has scenes of unanticipated hilarity. The violence is at a PG-13 level. The swearing is stronger though. 15 uses of f--k, and about 11 uses of pr--k.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie Kids Count January 5, 2013

Excellent movie, not many issues

This thriller that is based on a true story is tame for an R-rated movie. There are positive messages and role models, as the main character Tony Mendez risked his life to save a group of people. There is minor violence as they show the attacks, and burning of the U.S. flag. There is also smoking, but that is accurate for the time period. The real reason why it is rated R is for language due to about 10 uses of the F word which involves a joke around that word and Argo. Fine for kids 12+, but most 10 and 11 year olds can proabably handle it. It is an excellent master-class movie that has to be seen though. Iffy for kids 11+.
Parent Written bykidhuger1234599 June 24, 2013

AMAZING BUT LANGUAGE

It is an amazing movie and nothing ten year old can'y handel but it does contain some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

GOOD

I'm not saying its unsuitable for kids under 7, but it just might be confusing and boring for them. Might make them worried about wars and the 70s too. Good film, creative storyline.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson May 26, 2013

Taut political thriller is an easy r

This movie is on the level of rated PG-13.the movie was great . It was kind of confusing you know. It is a mayhem of 2hrs thrills and chills. There's lots of language . 25 uses of the f word .and other frequent uses of s--t d--k pr---k a-s a---hole. And mutch more
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

Argo truly amazing

Argo is downright amazing. The acting, the editing, the script, the shots, the whole thing is great. You'll be on the edge of your seat the whole time. I absolutely love this movie. I thoroughly agree with the decision that this one best picture. Argo a great picture.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byMbenz1962 March 24, 2013

Excellent movie, but could have cleaned up the language to appeal to a wider audience.

Quite a lot of profanity (go f*** yourself) that was unnecessary. This movie would have been absolutely great with less foul language.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byKresstech February 17, 2013

Sophisticated film with little that is inappropriate

No idea why this has an R. PG-13 would be fine. The only reason I say 14 and up is that the situation is a little complicated, and I'm not sure that every child would understand it. The age rating is more about whether a person will find it interesting and comprehensible than much that is inappropriate. The language is very strong if that bothers people e.g F bomb everywhere. A few quick graphically violent images e.g. a still of someone being hung upside down and tortured, but not much more than you'd see in "Iron Man". Excellent film, particularly for a child who is starting to get some political sophistication. They do a particularly nice job of portraying both why the Iranians are so angry at America and why being with an angry mob is so frightening. An unusually balanced view of the Arab world for an American film. There are indeed unappealing Iranians in the film, but the attentive viewer should understand why they are so angry, and there are some unappealing Americans too.
Kid, 9 years old July 22, 2013

argo

Being a historical movie, this somewhat lessens the violence that you see in the movie