All member reviews for Argo

Taut political thriller based on real-life escape from Iran.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 October 28, 2012

epic thriller is very taught, very intense.

this expertly made, extremely taught thriller is one of the best films of the year. it's a smart, well acted, well made piece of filmmaking that will probably be up for an Oscar or 2. this tense political movie does not have many things that will turn off kids. the beginning is very realistic and even has real footage of people starving and dying. there is even an image of a person hanging upsidedown with bloody holes in his body. other violent scenes include the take over of the embassy shown in real footage and in reenacted. people brake things, soldiers fire tear gas, and there is overall suspense. there are also images of firing squads, and quick, bloodless shooting, and real and fake images of people hanging. otherwise, there is lots of language, with frequent uses of f**k, s***, a** and others. there is an image of a nude woman bathing in milk and we see her bare butt. some skimpy costumes are shown. people also smoke and drink heavily in many scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byUSNA19 October 21, 2012

Argo: This Movie Will Win Some Oscars!

This is an excellent movie for anyone whether they have an interest in the Iran Hostage Crisis or not. In history class, we`ve touched on this, but didn`t really talk about the 6 who escaped. This is a realistic movie that portrays how there were some serious tensions during that time between countries, and how we worked with Canada to get the 6 out of Iran. Fast paced, daring, and bold, this is something that is truly a must see. Ben Affleck really did an outstanding job on this one, and the supporting cast is amazing too. As far as what age should be allowed to see it, I`d say 15 for sure and up. Yes, it has a R rating, but there isn`t too much violence as one might think. There is absolutely no blood and gore, and really, from all that I remember, there are dead bodies shown, and some violent demonstrations (i.e., burning the American flag, protesters chanting and shouting, storming the buildings, etc.) but no brutal killings and whatnot. The only reason it`s rated R as far as I could tell is because of the intense language used. In all honesty, I`ve heard worse at the high school, but there really is a lot of language in this movie, especially the f-word....the whole tag line of the film is "Argo, f-yourself", so it`s said repeatedly, among other words. There`s also heavy smoking, and some drinking. Affleck is depicted at one point in time smoking cigarette after cigarette and drinking a bottle of scotch or vodka, or something alcoholic. There`s also a few tense scenes that aren`t violent, but there`s a lot of yelling and frenzy and stuff that sub 13 year olds probably shouldn`t see. That said, there IS positive role models/messages. The U.S. government and Canada works together to get out the 6, the ambassador of Canada is risking his life and his wife`s life to harbor 6 Americans who are wanted, and Affleck`s character, CIA agent Tony Mendez never gives up on getting the 6 out, even after major setbacks and obstacles. All in all, I`d say POSSIBLY a very mature 14 year old could see it, but in all honesty, 15 and up is safe for this one. It`s a terrific movie that really helps our generation who wasn`t around then see what happened, and for all ages, it shows what it felt like to be a hostage, not knowing if your next move would kill you, or whether or not you`d be able to see the light of day again. Fast paced, breathtaking, and exciting, it makes you feel as if you`re working right alongside of Mendez (Affleck) and at the end, it`s truly amazing, as a speech from President Carter is heard, and they compare photos from the real like 6 to the actors that played them. 5 starts hands down, see it; it`s no waste of money.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustino4 October 15, 2012

Didn't Blow Me Away But Good

I thought this movie was going to blow me away. It didn't. It is without a doubt a good movie either way.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 15, 2012

The Best Movie of the Year so Far.

This is an amazing movie its intense and kind of disturbing. The language is pretty strong and there is a ton of smoking. But the main character is a great role model.
Adult Written byAwesomeness142 February 25, 2015

Pretty good

It is a good movie to tell about what happened but not the best movie
Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2014

Ok movie

Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Riveting political thriller has great messages about braveness

"Argo" is an excellent film that will keep you on the edge-your-seat from start to finish, despite some profanity. Regardless, this an ideal film to show to teens, and is not deserving of an R-rating.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlexThaReviewer July 9, 2014

100% OVERRATED FILM OF ALL TIME

This movie was so dissapointing, and it's not the direction, acting or writing. It's the editing that is so choppy and appalling. It tries SO desperately to grasp at straws of humor, but none of the "jokes" were hitting for me. It's direction is OK at best, but there are very few moving shots, almost all of them are still, boring and lazy zoom ins. The acting was good, arguably the best thing in the movie, but compared to its competition such as the new Tarantino masterpiece "DJANGO: Unchained" or the beautiful David O. Russel film "Silver Linings Playbook", one of the funniest and entertaining love stories of the 21st century, this BS wins best picture at the oscars AND GOLDEN GLOBES. That is 100% unnacceptable. If you want a moving story, watch "Life of Pi", "Forrest Gump" or even "The Shawshank Redemption"! I feel a generous 2/5 on this movie because Bryan Cranston gave a good performance. Argo f**k yourself academy!!
Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written bydgaston March 19, 2014
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie man 15 March 10, 2014

so good

look little kids (9 to 12) won't understand so don't bring them if you have a 13 year old who is interested bring them but there are some violent images (pg13 level ) but just so you no swearing goes everywhere from damn to f!$k but you have to know you're kid
Kid, 11 years old March 1, 2014

Great film but lots of language

Argo is a great film with some menace but there is a lot of bad language but it's nothing worse than you would hear at school. I would say that Argo is ok for anyone who is 12 and over just because of the language but some families have different views on language so I'll leave it here.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJavier Noyola February 21, 2014

great movie

I loved this movie. The ending scene of it was in the town of where I lived and, the house they used was my friends old house.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjacon101 February 14, 2014

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python November 17, 2013

Good Film

I thought this movie was good, but not very good. The movie's main problem is the language. If the language was removed (unless I have missed something, have not watched it in a while) then it could be a 12 rated movie (or PG-13)
Teen, 14 years old Written byShnep007 August 14, 2013

MY FAVORITE MOVIE!

This is the only movie that had enough suspense to make me actually jump in my seat. A VERY epic movie. Filled with high stakes and drama. Parents need to know that this could have been rated PG-13 if it weren't for the uses of "f--k." Positive messages include teamwork, trust, bravery and perserverance at hard times. Tony works hard for the good of other people; Violence is mostly PG-13 but it includes angry Iranian riots burning the American flag and waving guns in the air, people hanged on cranes, and suspense of whether they will get past this croud or that; No sexual content; Language is the biggest issue with lots of uses of "f--k", "s--t", "son of a b---h"; some consumerism includes a reference to the movie "Planet of the Apes" (1968), famous '70s Hollywood filmakers, The Golden Globe Awards, some car brands, and Alan Arkan's character calls Tony "007" because he's a spy; some social drinking and Tony drinks straight from the bottle when he's stressed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySome guy. July 28, 2013

Great movie, okay for some kids.

If your kid knows to not repeat any bad words, and can handle intense scenes, your kid can totally watch this movie. Sure, they curse a lot, but like I said, if your kids knows to not repeat anything they hear, it should be no problem. Pretty much the only reason I can think of why they rated this movie R is because most kids would have a tough time sitting through it, and because most kids would think it's boring. Had it been more fast paced, I think it would have earned a solid PG-13. I watched this movie when I was 13 and loved it-it won Best Picture on the Oscars for a reason.
Parent Written bykidhuger1234599 June 24, 2013

AMAZING BUT LANGUAGE

It is an amazing movie and nothing ten year old can'y handel but it does contain some language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson May 26, 2013

Taut political thriller is an easy r

This movie is on the level of rated PG-13.the movie was great . It was kind of confusing you know. It is a mayhem of 2hrs thrills and chills. There's lots of language . 25 uses of the f word .and other frequent uses of s--t d--k pr---k a-s a---hole. And mutch more
Kid, 10 years old May 16, 2013

Taut political thriller base on real life is really good

Taut political thriller based on real life is really good because a movie like this is really good and mostly to be onset whith you guys its really good a movie like this did not come out .