Taut political thriller based on real-life escape from Iran.

Teen, 15 years old Written byUSNA19 October 21, 2012

Argo: This Movie Will Win Some Oscars!

This is an excellent movie for anyone whether they have an interest in the Iran Hostage Crisis or not. In history class, we`ve touched on this, but didn`t really talk about the 6 who escaped. This is a realistic movie that portrays how there were some serious tensions during that time between countries, and how we worked with Canada to get the 6 out of Iran. Fast paced, daring, and bold, this is something that is truly a must see. Ben Affleck really did an outstanding job on this one, and the supporting cast is amazing too. As far as what age should be allowed to see it, I`d say 15 for sure and up. Yes, it has a R rating, but there isn`t too much violence as one might think. There is absolutely no blood and gore, and really, from all that I remember, there are dead bodies shown, and some violent demonstrations (i.e., burning the American flag, protesters chanting and shouting, storming the buildings, etc.) but no brutal killings and whatnot. The only reason it`s rated R as far as I could tell is because of the intense language used. In all honesty, I`ve heard worse at the high school, but there really is a lot of language in this movie, especially the f-word....the whole tag line of the film is "Argo, f-yourself", so it`s said repeatedly, among other words. There`s also heavy smoking, and some drinking. Affleck is depicted at one point in time smoking cigarette after cigarette and drinking a bottle of scotch or vodka, or something alcoholic. There`s also a few tense scenes that aren`t violent, but there`s a lot of yelling and frenzy and stuff that sub 13 year olds probably shouldn`t see. That said, there IS positive role models/messages. The U.S. government and Canada works together to get out the 6, the ambassador of Canada is risking his life and his wife`s life to harbor 6 Americans who are wanted, and Affleck`s character, CIA agent Tony Mendez never gives up on getting the 6 out, even after major setbacks and obstacles. All in all, I`d say POSSIBLY a very mature 14 year old could see it, but in all honesty, 15 and up is safe for this one. It`s a terrific movie that really helps our generation who wasn`t around then see what happened, and for all ages, it shows what it felt like to be a hostage, not knowing if your next move would kill you, or whether or not you`d be able to see the light of day again. Fast paced, breathtaking, and exciting, it makes you feel as if you`re working right alongside of Mendez (Affleck) and at the end, it`s truly amazing, as a speech from President Carter is heard, and they compare photos from the real like 6 to the actors that played them. 5 starts hands down, see it; it`s no waste of money.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 15, 2012

The Best Movie of the Year so Far.

This is an amazing movie its intense and kind of disturbing. The language is pretty strong and there is a ton of smoking. But the main character is a great role model.
Adult Written byNicole G. December 20, 2016

Excellent film, very thrilling!!!!

Despite this movie having an R rating, it isn't that bad at all. Yes, there is cursing, but children here cursing every day. The only thing is that the film may be seen as boring for younger viewers, even though it's anything but. It's a great true story that sends good messages, really a great watch
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 September 18, 2016

Fabulous

Amazing movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshaydog101 August 2, 2016

Awesome movie!

Argo is a great movie based off a true story. It has some bloodless violence, constant swearing, and drinking. Other than that, Argo is a great and very tame R rated movie that is a great choice of teens 13+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaHenster February 12, 2016

Extremely intense thriller is fine for young teens

Violence- PG-13 (Intense scenes, riots and hostages) Sex- PG-13 (Some crude sexual references) Language- R (Infrequent f-bombs) Drugs- PG (Not much, some cigarette smoking)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan May 26, 2015

"Argo" movie review

"Argo" is the movie that showed Ben Affleck is actually talented. This movie is a very well-directed, beautiful cinematic achievement. Ben Affleck made one of the best political thrillers ever in my opinion. "Argo" was so interesting and suspenseful. It's riveting to see the 6 hostages trying to escape Iran with the help of Ben Affleck's character. What amazes me is that the events of this movie actually happened. The tone of this picture for the most part was absolutely right. The performances were great especially Alan Arkin. My only complaint with "Argo" is that there is one tone inconsitency. Nevertheless, this is a brilliant and praise-worth picture. "Argo" won Best Picture at the 2012 Oscars(R) and it was well-deserved. While on the topic of Oscars(R), Ben Affleck should ABSOLUTELY have been nominated for Best Director. The Academy messed up big time not nominating him. In conclusion Ben Affleck's direction, Alan Arkin's performance, the screenplay make this movie one that should not be missed. I was surprised I loved it so much because political movies can be boring. "Argo" was one of my favorite movies of 2012 and I highly recommend it to history buffs and young filmmakers for I think they should study this film to be more knowledgable.
Adult Written byAwesomeness142 February 25, 2015

Pretty good

It is a good movie to tell about what happened but not the best movie
Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2014

Ok movie

Teen, 14 years old Written byAlexThaReviewer July 9, 2014

100% OVERRATED FILM OF ALL TIME

This movie was so dissapointing, and it's not the direction, acting or writing. It's the editing that is so choppy and appalling. It tries SO desperately to grasp at straws of humor, but none of the "jokes" were hitting for me. It's direction is OK at best, but there are very few moving shots, almost all of them are still, boring and lazy zoom ins. The acting was good, arguably the best thing in the movie, but compared to its competition such as the new Tarantino masterpiece "DJANGO: Unchained" or the beautiful David O. Russel film "Silver Linings Playbook", one of the funniest and entertaining love stories of the 21st century, this BS wins best picture at the oscars AND GOLDEN GLOBES. That is 100% unnacceptable. If you want a moving story, watch "Life of Pi", "Forrest Gump" or even "The Shawshank Redemption"! I feel a generous 2/5 on this movie because Bryan Cranston gave a good performance. Argo f**k yourself academy!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJavier Noyola February 21, 2014

great movie

I loved this movie. The ending scene of it was in the town of where I lived and, the house they used was my friends old house.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python November 17, 2013

Good Film

I thought this movie was good, but not very good. The movie's main problem is the language. If the language was removed (unless I have missed something, have not watched it in a while) then it could be a 12 rated movie (or PG-13)
Parent Written bykidhuger1234599 June 24, 2013

AMAZING BUT LANGUAGE

It is an amazing movie and nothing ten year old can'y handel but it does contain some language.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

Argo truly amazing

Argo is downright amazing. The acting, the editing, the script, the shots, the whole thing is great. You'll be on the edge of your seat the whole time. I absolutely love this movie. I thoroughly agree with the decision that this one best picture. Argo a great picture.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

Great movie.

An Awsome movie! I am 11 and it is a great movie. New favorit, has minor minor violence and well TONS of language and some drinking and smoking but the language is all the time f*ck sh*t f*ck p*ck. other wise any mature 11 or 12 year old could watch it but probebaly best for 14. Anywho great movie (a must see). And reply to: kid 9 years old said: (not for kids) THIS IS THE RUDEST MOVIE I HAVE EVR SEEN, he/she is good at lieing, not anything close to what he/she said, it is not rude positive message's and positive role models. So Argo fart on yourself.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 1, 2013

Canadians are so nice.

This movie is close to flawless, it's extremely tense, slow moving, and well written and has scenes of unanticipated hilarity. The violence is at a PG-13 level. The swearing is stronger though. 15 uses of f--k, and about 11 uses of pr--k.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc March 23, 2013

A Fine Film For A Child Of The Right Age

One thing that I'm sure will be over-looked regarding this film is that some will view this film as being offensive towards the people of Iran. While I personally do not, be sure to be sensitive to the fact that the United States is portrayed as "the good guys" while we are at least partially responsible for creating the situation depicted in the film. If your children are not familiar with this incident in American history, you might do well to pre-educate before letting your teenagers watch this film. Especially in a post-9/11 society, it will be easy for children who don't fully understand the situation to take on anti-Middle Eastern attitudes that may or may not be fair. There is not any nudity to speak of but the movie portrays a very real sense of terror and suspense surrounding the situation. The film has a fair amount of bad language in it, but I suppose it's appropriate for the situations portrayed. This film is drastically different from anything else that Ben Affleck has ever been a part of and it blows the rest away by comparison. There's a reason why this movie won the Oscar for Best Picture and you'll see why when you rent it.
Parent Written byLSU Mom March 2, 2013

Good for Older Teens

Excessive smoking and profuse bad language, both probably pretty closed aligned with reality of the 70s, particularly in political and Hollywood circles. There is an early reference to abortion, which I tied to the proximity of Roe v Wade to the time frame, probably also in context with the era. Other than that, a good history lesson for kids. The movie seemed seriously dedicated to sticking closely with factual information.
Parent Written byDan G. February 22, 2013

Still an R-rated movie due to uncountable F-bombs.

The language used in this movie is vulgar and profane. The number of times the f-bomb is dropped is uncountable. The story itself can be disturbing, although the values portrayed are largely good. There is a referance to abortion. If the language of this movie had been cleaned up some, it would have be appropriate for older teens.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byKresstech February 17, 2013

Sophisticated film with little that is inappropriate

No idea why this has an R. PG-13 would be fine. The only reason I say 14 and up is that the situation is a little complicated, and I'm not sure that every child would understand it. The age rating is more about whether a person will find it interesting and comprehensible than much that is inappropriate. The language is very strong if that bothers people e.g F bomb everywhere. A few quick graphically violent images e.g. a still of someone being hung upside down and tortured, but not much more than you'd see in "Iron Man". Excellent film, particularly for a child who is starting to get some political sophistication. They do a particularly nice job of portraying both why the Iranians are so angry at America and why being with an angry mob is so frightening. An unusually balanced view of the Arab world for an American film. There are indeed unappealing Iranians in the film, but the attentive viewer should understand why they are so angry, and there are some unappealing Americans too.