Taut political thriller based on real-life escape from Iran.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 January 24, 2013

Argo

Argo is a well crafted drama thriller that has great direction by Ben Affleck. The movie has a consistent tone that alway's has a vibe of fresh smell we have had in years. The movie suprisingly has alot of laughs. SPOILER: the joke Bryan Cranston & Ben Affleck and the dad from The Change-Up make up "Argo ---- yourself" is hilarious. Overall, Argo is one of the most thoughtful and well crafted films in 2012.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovie Kids Count January 5, 2013

Excellent movie, not many issues

This thriller that is based on a true story is tame for an R-rated movie. There are positive messages and role models, as the main character Tony Mendez risked his life to save a group of people. There is minor violence as they show the attacks, and burning of the U.S. flag. There is also smoking, but that is accurate for the time period. The real reason why it is rated R is for language due to about 10 uses of the F word which involves a joke around that word and Argo. Fine for kids 12+, but most 10 and 11 year olds can proabably handle it. It is an excellent master-class movie that has to be seen though. Iffy for kids 11+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiLovett November 22, 2012

Argo, amazing.

Argo was one of the best films I saw in 2012. Without using the words "f--k" and "s--t" this movie would easily be rated PG or PG-13. This movie has beautiful cinematography, great acting, and a great message. The main character is a great role model, I came out inspired and with a great respect for the people who risk their lives everyday doing these things.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheItalianSensation November 18, 2012

Argo

One of the best films I have seen this year. Just because it has an R-rating doesn't mean that you should stray away from seeing it. It is brilliant from start to finish. It is intense, it's humorous, and has a great cast and great script. This is a must see.
Adult Written bydavyborn November 13, 2012

Thought provoking and well made historical thriller. Educational value okay for teens+

Ben Affleck (The Town, Gone Baby Gone) has fashioned a masterpiece, with this year's shoe-in for Best Picture at the Academy Awards next March. Argo, a factual, historical thriller based upon real-life events, which are interwoven with an incredibly far-fetched but absolutely real attempt at a hostage rescuer's (Affleck) attempt at going into Tehran, during the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis. Now, that sounds reasonably simple enough, but, if you have seen the ads for the film, you will know that there is a major twist to that sitatuon: In order to safely infiltrate the country and remove the American hostages hiding out in Iran, Tony Mendez, who is played by Affleck, here, devises an incredibly imaginative plan to get them out, by enlisting the help of a hollywood makeup artist (John Goodmen, in another dynamite performance) and an aging ang slightly bitter hollywood producer (Alan Arkin), to go into the country as a charade that Mendez is actually filming a movie in the country, and that the hostages that he is trying to rescue from that country are put into the disguise of the film crew. Now, that may sound far-fetched, and believe me, I know how it sounds, but this is still based off of a completely true story, and, Affleck, who, after years of mostly mediocre performances and hackjob entrys substituting for real acting, finally scores huge, here. Like the Town, he both directs and stars in this film, and it can mainly be described as an experience of awe-inspiring daring, educational and informative historical accounts, fantastic acting, pulse-pounding intensity and humor. It is a hard sell, but Argo manages to be all of those things done to a degree of very near perfection. Really, Argo is one of those rare films this year, like Prometheus, Looper, Savages and Sinister, that you just simply must watch again, and you want to, as soon as it ends. Plus, it is not a bad thing that it also has one of the best casts of the year, with the previously mentioned Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston, Phillip Baker Hall, Victor Garber and Clea Duvall, with Arkin providing much of the films humor, and Goodman cheerfully joning in, but working very well together in scenes near the end, where a hgih level of dramatic intensity is required in there performances, and they absolutely nail it. Also fanastic, hear, is Affleck, who, I previously talked about as the director of this thrill ride, but really does put down one of his absolute best performances, here, keeping a level eye on low-brow comedy, but jumping into gear when the films more traumatic scenes take there courses. But, now, when I really think about it, there just isn't a bad performance in this movie. It is just, all around oscar-worthy work from everyone involved, here, and deserves the audiences attention, when they are on screen. Now, despite the fact that Argo sports an R Rating, I would like to make something perfectly clear to parents and everyone else reading this and trying to decide whether or not this film is suitable for there teens, based off of Ben Affleck's track record for previously directed films: Unlike The Town, Argo does not assault the viewer with brutal violence, and extremely pervasive language. While it does contain nearly 30 uses of the F-word, and does have some extreme intensity, substituting for violence, this is a much less gritty film, and, as such, could be used as educational material and, of course, doubling as great entertainment for teens. So, while I think that Argo is one of the very best films of the year, come next March during the 2012 Academy Awards Cermony, while I certainly hope that this fim will gain multiple oscar nominations, I cannot completely count on it winning best picture. Still, here's to hoping, at the very least. Reccomended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRehan Sagarwala November 4, 2012

Argo, the movie that actually told the truth

This was the best movie movie I have ever seen this year(even better than The Dark Knight Rises).Argo is about the 1979 hostage crisis in Iran.Argo didn't really have any violence.One guy was shot and you see a dead body on the crane(on a construction site).Argo literally kept me on the edge of my seat.Especially the end.My heart was pumping faster and faster as the movie went on.The movie was mainly set in Iran.The movie had a total of 25 f bombs and one hand gesture.Overall,this was this was an amazing movie and I recommend it to someone that is either 14 or over.Little kids(1-12) won't get it and a 13 year old might not get it.GO SEE THIS MOVIE IF YOU ARE 14 OR OVER!!!
Kid, 9 years old November 4, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS

THIS IS THE RUDEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristian Movie Buff October 30, 2012

....it's even a true story

I was really excited to see this movie and I got what I wanted out of it. It was very engaging, funny and suspenseful. The acting and directing was excellent and pacing was pristine.Granted there were about 25 f-words in the movie, but it didn't ruin the film for me. It was also very uplifting with positive messages. Also lets remember that this is a true story which makes it even better. I'd say this film is already for kids who are least 15 or 16 years of age.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 14, 2012

The best thriller of the year by far!

Boy does "Argo" deliver. I went into this knowing close to nothing about the Iran Hostage Crisis and came out with more knowledge than I would've learned at school! The casting is...well it's just perfect, I think Cranston gave the best performance, but Arkin gave the funniest! The suspense near the end is nail-biting, and the whole film goes by in a flash. I loved "Argo," and I'm sure the Academy will agree with me.