All member reviews for Arthur Christmas

Fabulous, funny holiday movie about the Christmas spirit.

Adult Written byDr3w November 23, 2011

A Christmas Movie For Cynics

"Arthur Christmas was written with the cynic in mind. It's for kids who can't quite figure out how Santa delivers presents in Toledo and Tokyo and Timbuktu all in one night. It's for kids who've seen that even the supposed best of adults don't always act admirably. It's for kids for whom this "magical" time of year sometimes feels a little less than. It tells these children that even if things aren't perfect, that even after your mom and aunt get into a squabble during Monopoly or Dad eats Santa's Christmas cookies, there's still something special about the season. That specialness is embodied, of course, by Arthur Christmas—a goofy, awkward, kid-like guy who answers Santa's letters for him. He knows the elves make fun of him. He knows he'll never be as cool or efficient as his big brother. On some level, he knows he's a disappointment to his father. And yet he puts all that aside because he believes in Santa's true goodness. It's Arthur's awe-filled optimism—and, frankly, sense of forgiveness—that carries this movie. Arthur doesn't spend much time worrying about what his father thinks of him. As long as Santa cares for the children, that's all Arthur needs. When Santa lets Arthur down, though, it's still a brutal blow. Indeed, our hero almost gives up on his quest to "save Christmas" for the little giftless girl. But then he has an epiphany: It's not about Santa the man, but about Santa the ideal. Santa is bigger than any one fallible father can be. And as long as that ideal remains true and pure, the gift-giving spirit of Christmas survives. It's a salient message for us to teach to our children, I think, who have observed moral or spiritual leaders stumble and fall. Our faith and our integrity should never be pinned to people, but rather to principles. Neither, of course, should Christmas be pinned to Santa. But you already knew that." from plugged in . com
Parent Written byRichard Addlesee December 9, 2011

The true meaning of Christmas

I wish I was a kid again, Arthur Christmas really shows us what the true meaning of Christmas is, going the extra mile for each other regardless of the effort :)
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl February 1, 2012

Ever wonder how Santa does it? Here's your chance to find out!

A hilarious, heart warming story about a bumbling brother who becomes a reluctant hero. The second the lights came up in the theater, my 10 year old turned to me and said "We have to buy that on DVD!" I can see this becoming an annual tradition for our family right up there with The Grinch and Charlie Brown. Although the father, grandfather, and older brother are negative role models through most of the movie, in the end they pull together and do the right thing. Some mean language and insinuation of drinking but most of the language is tame. The grandfather's reindeer sidekick is hilarious. Very young kids might be scared by some of the tense, suspenseful chase scenes but on the whole the movie is a delightful twist on the traditional Santa Claus myth.
Parent of a 2, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan November 23, 2014

Great Christmas Movie

This is a great Christmas movie. Language is fine. There's a little peril, but nothing that would scare kids.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymarcif August 13, 2014

Great family film

This was the first movie I took my 3 year old daughter to see in the theater. It was a great choice. The movie has a lot of action which kept her interested, and it was fun for me to see too. The movie had a nice warm message and there were no parts that I felt were inappropriate for her. I can see watching this every holiday season.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byTV free family December 29, 2011

Great movie but the youngest won't get the story.

I went with my five and seven year old boys (their first time in a theatre) and the seven year old liked it but did not really follow what was happening. The five year old has no clue what the movie was about, so I would not bring children that young to see it. One difficulty came from the accents in the movie, quite a few of "Santa's helpers" had British or other accents that were difficult to understand. It took me a while to follow the script too because of that. The lion scene was very frightening for the five year old but we do not have a TV so this was quite impressive for him. My husband and I really enjoyed the jokes and the very imaginative story. We laughed the whole time.
Parent Written byJadeAutumnGreen December 22, 2011

Not For Your Younger Children!!!

This is off for any kid who still thinks 'Santa' comes to their house on Christmas night! This show completely undermined everything my little sister thought about Christmas! It replaces the sleigh with an alien-looking ship and reindeer with high- tech engines. The elves are like a stereo-type of the military and at the end of the movie, they supposed 'moral' is that it doesn't matter how the present gets there, only that it did get there. It sucked all the magic out of Christmas for my FIVE year old sister. I personally didn't enjoy it either.
Parent Written byjannetto December 7, 2011

Heartwarming, tear jerking, just go see it!

I laughed and cried all the way through. It's a great movie, and I've told all the kids I work with (I teach 10 year olds) to go see it- those who already have, loved it, as did my own kid. Some lovely small touches too, typical little Aardman details that you might miss the first time. I saw it 4 days ago and am still smiling. I think all kids will be rooting for that last girl to get her present- my daughter was on the edge of her seat at the end. Really lovely movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywc20mcdonaldj November 26, 2011

dumb

a corny movie for little kids who wonder how santa comes.
Adult Written byBperk23 October 30, 2012

Christmas

This movie is great to learn how people do Christmas around the world.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Arthur Christmas 2011

an ok christmas tale. but 5/5 stars of good positive messages about caring for 1 single person.
Kid, 9 years old November 26, 2011

author cristmas

i thinkthis is the best movie ever!
Parent Written bybeckyellis November 14, 2012

Wanting to show at a elementary school. Will the older kids (5th and 6th graders like it as much as young kids?

I havent seen this movie yet, I just have a question for all of you out there who have seen it. I am thinking about doing this movie for our school movie night. We have kindergarten up to sixth grade students. Do you think that the older kids would enjoy it as much as the younger ones. Input on this,please. I would greatly appreciate it.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bycatht December 18, 2011

Loved this movie!

This is a great movie, one that I enjoyed seeing as much as my kids, ages 4.5 and 7. I rated it "on" for ages 5 and up, as I didn't notice a lot of the usual things that I wouldn't want my kids to see, however there were nuances that neither of them really understood. For example, the whole spy/army sort of setup that they had for gift production and delivery was just bizarre to them, they didn't see the humour because the whole concept was new. And more importantly, the deeper storyline about the rivalries between Grandsanta and Steve, and the issues regarding whether Steve or Arthur would be the new Santa were lost on them. When I explained it later they understood, and I'm sure we'll eventually buy the dvd and they'll really get it, but in the moment, first time seeing the movie, it was more about the big screen and popcorn. Which they were perfectly happy with. :) There were a few scary scenes that had my 4.5yo in my lap. At one point some menacing lions surround some of the characters, but the tension doesn't last long, and is followed very quickly by a silly scene that had both my kids laughing. Another time the sleigh is about to be shot down my missiles, and whether or not the characters survive is in question, but again, it's not a prolonged scene and is relieved by humour. Overall, I highly recommend this movie.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byKristin B November 25, 2012

Great Holiday Movie for the Whole Family

My sons age 7 and 4.5 LOVED this movie. They laughed and were dazzled by all the imagery. One reviewer mentioned this movie might spoil the Santa story for young children, but I disagree. Before watching it, we talked about how this movie was one person's idea of how Santa gets all the presents delivered. The modern technology was a fun adaptation to the original story. It has a positive message, the dialogue is appropriate for young kids and adults will like it too. The hero is admirable and the other characters learn valuable lessons. It's not too scary, there is no monsters or bad guys. It is suspenseful as the hero and his crew try to deliver the last present before day breaks. They encounter some scary lions and other obstacles along the way and at times it seems like they won't make it in time. But as other reviewers mentioned, the scary lion scene is fast and has a very funny ending. My sons usually don't like to re-watch movies, but they keep asking for this one.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydgjd December 27, 2011

my seven year old liked it

They did a nice job of mixing more traditional Santa-isms with modern twists.
Adult Written byCoho December 20, 2011

This 8-Year-Old Loved It!

I am 8-years-old and I think the movie is really good. It's a little iffy for kids 4 and younger because it is a little tense. When I was that age, tense scenes bothered me. I like that it shows that if something seems impossible you can still do it if you try your hardest and have help from your friends. I liked seeing a little bit about other country's Christmas cultures. Most of all it's really funny. My whole family, including my 5-year-old brother, laughed a lot and enjoyed it very much.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

Impressive movie.

This is a very fun movie.I just didn't like that Justin Bieber sang in the movie,I HATE Justin Bieber.There is educational value,positive messages,and positive role-models.There IS violence,a use of the H word,and a couple of drinking.Besides that this movie is awesome! The computer graphics were just perfect.If you want a great Christmas this year,WATCH THIS MOVIE!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bykhancock0 January 5, 2012

Wonderful family fun.

Our whole family enjoyed this humorous, positive take on what the North Pole is like, who Santa is, and what it means for the next generation to take over from its parents. Our 7- and 9-year old kids loved it, as did we.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 19, 2012

good movie, good role models

i think this movie portrays a good role model, for those who dont know it is about the son of Santa (Arthur, he has another brother too, who wants to be Santa, they pass it down by the years) they have delivered all the presents except for one. one little girl. Santa and his other son (not Arthur) want to just go to bed and not deliver it. Arthur on the other hand wants to deliver it, so he goes on an adventure with his grandpa to deliver it, but they go old school, a slegh.