All member reviews for Arthur Christmas

Fabulous, funny holiday movie about the Christmas spirit.

Adult Written byDr3w November 23, 2011

A Christmas Movie For Cynics

"Arthur Christmas was written with the cynic in mind. It's for kids who can't quite figure out how Santa delivers presents in Toledo and Tokyo and Timbuktu all in one night. It's for kids who've seen that even the supposed best of adults don't always act admirably. It's for kids for whom this "magical" time of year sometimes feels a little less than. It tells these children that even if things aren't perfect, that even after your mom and aunt get into a squabble during Monopoly or Dad eats Santa's Christmas cookies, there's still something special about the season. That specialness is embodied, of course, by Arthur Christmas—a goofy, awkward, kid-like guy who answers Santa's letters for him. He knows the elves make fun of him. He knows he'll never be as cool or efficient as his big brother. On some level, he knows he's a disappointment to his father. And yet he puts all that aside because he believes in Santa's true goodness. It's Arthur's awe-filled optimism—and, frankly, sense of forgiveness—that carries this movie. Arthur doesn't spend much time worrying about what his father thinks of him. As long as Santa cares for the children, that's all Arthur needs. When Santa lets Arthur down, though, it's still a brutal blow. Indeed, our hero almost gives up on his quest to "save Christmas" for the little giftless girl. But then he has an epiphany: It's not about Santa the man, but about Santa the ideal. Santa is bigger than any one fallible father can be. And as long as that ideal remains true and pure, the gift-giving spirit of Christmas survives. It's a salient message for us to teach to our children, I think, who have observed moral or spiritual leaders stumble and fall. Our faith and our integrity should never be pinned to people, but rather to principles. Neither, of course, should Christmas be pinned to Santa. But you already knew that." from plugged in . com
Teen, 16 years old Written bywc20mcdonaldj November 26, 2011

dumb

a corny movie for little kids who wonder how santa comes.
Kid, 9 years old November 26, 2011

author cristmas

i thinkthis is the best movie ever!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIceFlamer14 December 3, 2011

What DID happen to going down the chimney......

Even though I havent seen this movie, I can already tell kids will be confused. This whole movie just turns the way kids look at Santa and how he manages to deliver presents. Instead of the traditional slay, Santa uses this huge spaceship looking thing, and requires no raindeer in which we use to love. One question remains: What DID happen to the REAL Santa Story?
Parent Written bymoviemom7681 November 27, 2011

Cute, feel good Christmas movie that is appropriate for the whole family to share.

This movie was fun and the lack of an evil, bad guy out to ruin Christmas was refreshing. It kept our girls laughing through the whole movie. It has a cute, little message of everyone mattering and a guy who won't give up even with no one believing in him. I think most little kids (and a lot adults by the laughter in our theater) would enjoy this movie. My kids have been talking about this movie since we saw it..2 days ago.
Parent Written byembeau December 2, 2011

5 and under are okay to see, but may not get the storyline

Nothing offensive for any age really and it was a cute movie, but my five year old had a hard time following all the action. There were a few scenes with GrandSanta where the dialogue could have been toned down (references to alcoholics etc), but the characters outside of that were cute and sweet. Some scenes were scary due to the fact that the sleigh seemed out of control, but no real "bad guys" in this movie. Funny for adults and probably enjoyable for 6 and up, but I think that it was all lost on my child. She liked it but preferred the Muppets and Gnomeo and Juliet much more.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 November 26, 2011

Few funny moments, but still really good

I went to see this movie and there wasn't much in the movie that was inappropriate for kids. I didn't notice the word, "hell" being used or a scene with a bunch of alchol bottles. The movie doesn't have many funny moments, but it's still really good and has a good message about working together and caring about others. Violence: Some mild cartoonish violence and peril, but no one gets hurt. Consumerism: Mentioning/showing of Bambi, Versace, and Google Earth. Drinking: Mentioning of champange, and Grandsanta is apparently shown standing by a bunch of alchol bottles, but he isn't shown drinking any.
Parent Written byDr. H December 3, 2011

Wait for it to come to the library

Don't bother going to the theater. The 3D, if you see it that way, just makes you keep waiting for it to kick it. It is cute enough to get from the library, but I wouldn't spend money on it.
Parent Written byjannetto December 7, 2011

Heartwarming, tear jerking, just go see it!

I laughed and cried all the way through. It's a great movie, and I've told all the kids I work with (I teach 10 year olds) to go see it- those who already have, loved it, as did my own kid. Some lovely small touches too, typical little Aardman details that you might miss the first time. I saw it 4 days ago and am still smiling. I think all kids will be rooting for that last girl to get her present- my daughter was on the edge of her seat at the end. Really lovely movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 1, 2011

Great movie :)

Parent Written byRichard Addlesee December 9, 2011

The true meaning of Christmas

I wish I was a kid again, Arthur Christmas really shows us what the true meaning of Christmas is, going the extra mile for each other regardless of the effort :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheGreatNoOne December 4, 2011

Very cute, but not an "LOL" movie.

Although it's considered a comedy, don't expect to be laughing too hard. Truthfully, I couldn't remember what the plot points were directly after I saw it. Basically, it's cute, but not very memorable.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2011

Very good; exceptional.

I think that this is a wonderful holiday movie and is not inappropriate in any way. Allthough the movie does center largely around the material gifts of Christmas and not the true meaning of the holiday season, it is an exciting and heartwarming adventure for the whole family.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bycatht December 18, 2011

Loved this movie!

This is a great movie, one that I enjoyed seeing as much as my kids, ages 4.5 and 7. I rated it "on" for ages 5 and up, as I didn't notice a lot of the usual things that I wouldn't want my kids to see, however there were nuances that neither of them really understood. For example, the whole spy/army sort of setup that they had for gift production and delivery was just bizarre to them, they didn't see the humour because the whole concept was new. And more importantly, the deeper storyline about the rivalries between Grandsanta and Steve, and the issues regarding whether Steve or Arthur would be the new Santa were lost on them. When I explained it later they understood, and I'm sure we'll eventually buy the dvd and they'll really get it, but in the moment, first time seeing the movie, it was more about the big screen and popcorn. Which they were perfectly happy with. :) There were a few scary scenes that had my 4.5yo in my lap. At one point some menacing lions surround some of the characters, but the tension doesn't last long, and is followed very quickly by a silly scene that had both my kids laughing. Another time the sleigh is about to be shot down my missiles, and whether or not the characters survive is in question, but again, it's not a prolonged scene and is relieved by humour. Overall, I highly recommend this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycherrycoke347 December 17, 2011

Ok, but boring for kids over 12

My brother liked it, but me and my grandma think it dragged on too long. The first part was good, but then it seemed to slowly get boring.
Kid, 11 years old December 23, 2011

Arthur Christmas

This movie is amazing. Well worth the money. This movie explains a way how kids could get their toys on Christmas Eve (for Santa believers), but just provides laughs and entertainment for non-believers. Believer or not, this movie is for everyone.
Adult Written byCoho December 20, 2011

This 8-Year-Old Loved It!

I am 8-years-old and I think the movie is really good. It's a little iffy for kids 4 and younger because it is a little tense. When I was that age, tense scenes bothered me. I like that it shows that if something seems impossible you can still do it if you try your hardest and have help from your friends. I liked seeing a little bit about other country's Christmas cultures. Most of all it's really funny. My whole family, including my 5-year-old brother, laughed a lot and enjoyed it very much.
Kid, 10 years old December 24, 2011

Arthur Christmas

This Movie was so Cute (SPOILER ALERT0) I luved when thee animals were flying and theres Always Time For A bow!!!!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadaMadman December 23, 2011

Good holiday choice and my favorite wrapping elf ever (spelling intended)

My 6-year-old enjoyed the film, as did I, and I agree with others about the content. The relationships between the various Claus generations was too sophisticated for him, and the references to the military went flying over his head, but there was more than enough to enjoy otherwise. There is one scene with vicious tigers and lions that went on for a while and was quite scary. I did note that the first 10:00 or so of the film, a sort of Mission Impossible parody, moved really, really fast -- like so many movies for kids these days -- and as always I wished the moviemakers would stay on a shot longer to allow us to enjoy it rather than moving rapid-fire from image to imaginative image, MTV-style. Perhaps directors seem to feel they have to do this to keep the young audience's attention, but this is a self-fulfilling process...it changes our expectations for what is dramatic in a film, but is unnecessary if the film is made well -- and for me, as an old fogey of 46, it was too fast to enjoy. As we only get a moment to enjoy each idea and image, the result is a jam-packed stream of sensory input that I think is inappropriate for all audiences -- do we really have to condition our children for a world where ideas pass in a flash? Are we catering to ADHD and harming children's ability to concentrate, simply soak in an image, be patient? I would like to see Common Sense add this as a category to their film reviews somehow.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydgjd December 27, 2011

my seven year old liked it

They did a nice job of mixing more traditional Santa-isms with modern twists.