Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for As Above/So Below

Cool heroine in scary but uneven found-footage horror movie.

Written byAnonymous October 30, 2018

The butt review

This is a good movie. Not much blood but there is a lot of action and not to much bad language
Written byAnonymous March 19, 2017

Great movie!

This movie does have a fair amount of violence and gore, but it's nothing that a 12-13 year old can't handle. This is a great movie and I highly recommend it for kids 12 and up!
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byKeegs M February 26, 2016

Left Me Shaking 'Til The Last Second!

As Above So Below Was An Absolutely Terrifying Movie! Taking Your Worst Fear And Into You Biggest Nightmare! The Movie Gets Off Very Quickly. This Movie Is About A Young Archeologist On The Search For A Stone Of Immortality. This Movie Has The Typical Jump-Scares Of Any Horror, But Incorporates The Horrors Of The Psyche. This Movie Makes You Ask "Did I Really See Or Hear That?" This Movie Also Incorporates Claustrophobia Into It, Which Made It Somewhat Unenjoyable. In My Opinion, It's A Better Movie To Watch With Friends-Definitely Freaking You Out For Days To Come!

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycasacrimi August 7, 2015

This is a great scary movie with a lot of gore

Scary movie with gore and lots of swearing under 15

Adult Written byVacuum_Cleaner_Man October 9, 2014

Historical Horror

If you enjoy a little history and horror this is a must see. They give pretty accurate information in the movie about the catacombs. Also not many jump scares but its more about the creepy images in this movie more than anything.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byJWilliams303 September 3, 2014

Surprisingly Scary For a Found Footage Movie!!

Mainly I hate found footage movies but this one is an exception! This movie is freaky on so many levels...a lot of scenes made me jump but to be honest movies that just make loud noises in their movies is a cheap way to scare people, the sound effects in some scenes sounded creepy and went along with those scenes very well, a lot of the creatures or other things (I'm not going to say what or else I would probably spoil it) were very creepy in the movie and looked freaky, a lot of the scenes were messed up (in a good way) and kept messing with your mind and made you feel like the characters did in the movie, and lastly, there were a lot of claustrophobic scenes that made me have to look away because I am very claustrophobic and couldn't stand seeing them going through tight spaces. The only things I hated was how the movie ended very quick and how the camera was sooo shaky that it made me a little nauseous at times or irritated with the cameraman handling the camera, but what do you expect from found footage movies. All in all, one of the best scary movies that I've seen in a while!

Parent of a 13 year old Written bySongbird21 September 3, 2014

Depends how mature your child is

This was my daughter's first rated R film. She's 13. I will admit thought that it may not be for every 13 year old because my daughter is oddly mature for her age (She gets along best with kids 2 years older than her). That said, the gore really isn't all that much. The worst of it is one part where the main character is covered in "ghost blood" (It's blood from the past in an underground channel and she falls in) and another part where one of the characters get's an injury to her arm where you can see the muscle. Other than that there isn't much else to speak of for gore.

There are a lot of psychological scares which would be very bad for a timid teen.

The F-bomb is in it a lot. My daughter is allowed to hear it now that she's 13 but if you're a more conservative parent you'll want to steer clear.

I liked the movie and will buy it when it's on DVD but I will warn you, a LOT of the first 40 minutes is preamble. I would say maybe 20 minutes of that time frame actually have something to do with the story. Because of this the movie takes a long time to get to the actual main event and makes the story drag a bit. Once it gets to the main plot it's one heck of a ride and I definitely think you should give it a shot. If you easily get motion sick I would take some dramamine though cause the shaky "live footage" camera work can be a bit much in some spots. It gave my brother a mild headache.