All member reviews for Astro Boy

Action-packed adventure a fun bet for young superhero fans.

Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byHoneyMommy November 2, 2009

Young kids watching young kids get beaten and killed? Bad Idea

I'm not usually one to urge people to boycott something I don't like. I try to reserve that for the super serious issues, and keep the attitude that for the average stuff, "to each his own". But as a fellow parent, I would be grossly remiss to not warn you to at least THINK TWICE before taking your kids to see the movie ASTRO BOY! Most of us with small kids don't get to go to the movies often anyway, but every now and then a good animated film is advertised, captures our kids' attention and seems worth the risk to attempt a trip to the cinema. My kids are usually great at theatres, so when a fun cartoon comes out we jump at the chance to see it and get some movie-theatre popcorn. So was the case with Astro Boy. My warning to you is that this movie is highly inappropriate for young children. It was deceivingly advertised and marketed to young kids. Firstly, it's a cartoon, with a kinda bubbly animation form that usually translates to "safe for kids" content. Secondly, it's about a kid. Thirdly, they pushed it at little kids with Astro Boy toys in HappyMeals (those are for young kids, right) But most importantly, it got a PG rating. And it really is not for kids. WHAT'S INAPPROPRIATE ABOUT ASTRO BOY? In a nutshell: -There is a ton of GUN violence -The words "kill" and "die" and "dead" are said constantly throughout -The young star of the film is KILLED in the first 15 minutes of the movie. (it's an explict scene as he cries to his father to save him) -It's full of abuse, neglect, and violence towards children or child-like characters. -The fight scenes are long, scary, and gruesome -There's a ton of political messaging I'm assuming this movie managed to get a PG rating because, technically, there is no explicit foul language, nudity, or sex. But it baffles me because there is a great deal of explicit violence that is very scary for young children. And since when did kid's movies replace moral messages with political ones? I know that sometimes, there's a gray area between the two, but this movie was clearly more political than moral. And despite what my own political opinions may be, I don't want political innuendo constantly reiterated (literally over and over) to my 3 year old during a cartoon. I want my kids to be happy-go-lucky little kids for quite a while longer. It was uncomfortable for me to watch this movie with my kids, and by the end, my 3 year-old was wailing. His heart was heavy, he was sad and scared, and saying he did not like this movie. It was sad without being redeeming and violent without being exciting. Now, personally I'm a free spirit who feels that all forms of entertaiment have a place, because no one brand of entertainment fits all people. Again, I have always had a "to each his own" view of this, and still do, even with regards to this film. I believe it's a parents responsiblity to protect their own children from inappropriate content in media and elsewhere. And in that spirit, that's what I tried to do. Ideally, I would have spent the (excessive) $11.00 for a movie ticket (and 2 hours of my life) to go the the movie by myself and pre-screen it before taking my children, to make sure it was appropriate. But, is that realistic? No! Instead, I did the best I could as a parent (who had already had this movie over-marketed to my 3-year-old before I even knew about), I read the summary, I read reviews, and I looked at the rating. None of which gave any clue of the violence or death contained in the movie. So after being begged by a kid who had recieved an Astro Boy toy with his Happy Meal, and saw commericials that did not hint to any of the violence, I spent $50 to take my family of 4 to an early matinee. And so that's why I'm writing this message, now. As parents we need to look out for eachother, right? When product marketing becomes our nemesis, when rating systems fail us, and when reality just does not allow for us to "pre-screen" everything, we need the help of fellow parents! It's why we band together for mom's clubs and playdates, and why we give recommendations on everything from car seats to cribs. I wish someone had warned me about this movie before I traumatized my own kids with a so-called "treat to the theatre." Unfortunately, my husband and I both think that this "mis-rating" of movies is a growing trend. Since animated movies tend to do better in the box offices, it seems like producers are pushing through "adult" themed movies in animated form. Maybe I'll just have to start doing that $11 self-screening, afterall. Having said all this, I'm not advising anyone NOT to see it, I'm just warning you to think twice before you take your kid(s).
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySaft-e November 15, 2009

I just took my daughter to see this movie and I am totally disappointed by what I saw. The dad was completely unsupportive and the child died three times. Twice was the dads fault. It was a terrible picture and had my daughter crying. I would not recommend this movie to anyone and we definitely will not purchase this one when it comes out on DVD.
Kid, 9 years old October 12, 2010

VERY..... VIOLENT....... MOVIE

I Don't think this movie is any good. anyway a guy dieing at the start of the movie but brought back to life? that was a little to tense for kids that are 5 and under and scary for those with hyper or exellent imagination A.K.A me also the alien attack is slightly scary but we all know that aliens cannot float like that and they dont even exist the peacekeeper is violent when it comes to say im voting for the other guy yeah yeah violent but preety good
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ November 14, 2009

Astroboy may be marketed to the wrong audience: the main character looks like a small child, but at heart this is an adolescent movie, dealing with classic adolescent questions: Who am I? Where do I belong? I was utterly riveted by Astroboy, except for the parts I spent consoling a crying 6-year-old. Despite its made-for-toys appearance, this is NOT a movie for the Toy Story set. While my son didn't want to leave the theater, and now says that he liked this movie, he sobbed heartbrokenly over parts of it--and this is a kid who wasn't scared by the Wicked Witch of the West or Darth Vader, and didn't cry when E.T. died. The sad portions of Astroboy hit closer to home for a young child. In a floating city above a polluted earth, privileged humans live in luxury, served by robot slaves, and dump their garbage to the earth's surface, where the poor live. A cynical president bolsters his popularity with military prowess, enforced by armed robots designed by the brilliant Dr. Tenma. The roboticist's bright, cocky son, Toby, impatient with perpetually busy Dad, tails him to a demonstration of a new military robot and uses his precocious computer skills to break through security and see the demonstration up close. Too close. In a kids' movie, you may expect a smartass like Toby to get his comeuppance, like Lightning McQueen in Cars. You don't expect him to get himself killed. Well, as I mentioned, this isn't entirely a kids' movie. Dr. Tenma tries to recreate his dead son as a robot with state-of-the-art defense systems to protect him, powered by a heart of "positive blue energy." (BTW, the scientibabble in this movie makes Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs look like hard sf by comparison. This is OK with me, but your milage may vary.) Programmed with all Toby's memories, the robot boy thinks of himself as Toby, but both Dr. Tenma and the viewer can spot differences right away. In an odd spin on the Pinocchio theme, the robot seems more of a "real boy" than the original, less driven, more playful, more attuned to others' feelings--including those of the robot servants, whose language he now understands. Dr. Tenma rejects him as a flawed copy; the president wants to take his blue energy core and use it for military technology; and robot-Toby, soon renamed Astro, flees to the earth's surface to find a place for himself. Humans see Astro as a boy; robots, with their differing senses, recognize him as a robot. Instinctively benevolent toward human and robot alike, he is perfectly poised to serve as a bridge between worlds: between the floating city and the surface, between the robots and their human overlords. Yet he can trust none of them, and feels at home with none of them, till he earns acceptance through an act of self-denying heroism. Astroboy has plenty of action and pure fun. When Astro first discovers he can fly, his antics had my 6-year-old son bouncing out of his seat with joy. Pythonesque humor comes from the Robots' Revolutionary Front, a ragtag crew whose dream of rebellion is hampered by their programming not to harm a human. But beneath the fun is a more serious, almost mythic tale of loss, grief, sacrifice, and redemption. Teens may not be attracted to this movie because of the baby-faced hero, but they may find it a pleasant surprise. There's plenty here for the adult viewer, including political satire and background visual jokes that I'll look forward to replaying on DVD. But if you want to bring young children, you may want to discuss in advance some plot points they may find deeply threatening: the death of a child, a father's betrayal of his son, and a child's discovery that he is not the "real boy" he thought he was.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byclcfh June 16, 2010

Fathers and father figures endanger and reject children

I regretted taking my children to this movie because of the messages it sends about fathers. A boy with no mother who craves his father's attention sneaks into his father's work area, leading to his death. The father creates the boy's replica, Astro Boy, only to reject him too. Astro Boy chooses another father figure who forces him to fight for his life. It was actually after my bad experience with this movie that I started relying on Common Sense Media reviews, which have been very helpful to me, so it was a surprise to me that the Astro Boy reviewer didn't share my concerns about this one. Obviously older children could handle these messages, but after a certain age, surely interest in this movie would drop off, so I'm rating it "off." (P.S. I'm not a teen reviewer. The registration form wouldn't take my real birth year for some reason.)
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byMrsAllnut November 19, 2009

What was the message? In this military household, we try to avoid caricatures of military personnel; this one was simply violent for violence's sake. The kill-em-all mentality of the commander was over the top and ridiculously out of date. That doesn't even begin to address the young lad who will become Astro Boy. First, he's vaporized in front of his father, whose relationship with his son has already been established as dysfunctional. Then, after recreating his son as a robot, he rejects the boy, allowing him to be hunted down by the military. After he escapes to the planet below, basically a dump, the movie shifts into "Pinocchio" gear. Frankly, at this point I quit watching. It was an offensive piece of trash. The only levity was purely adult-oriented humor from the communist robot trio. My older children tell me this is standard anime fare; I found it frightening, as did the the younger children in the audience.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 November 12, 2009

Don't let other reviews scare you away from this movie

I was hesitant to take my 5 year old son to see this movie after reading some of these reviews. I had a long talk with him and warned him that the boy dies and is replaced by a robot before we even went to see the movie. All of that was completely unnecessary. Of course their is cartoon violence and of course the boy dies but it is in no way over the top or scary. The movie has a very good message and was ok for me. My son loved it. He said it was one of his favorites. So if you have a kid that is over 5 and has watched any tv, no worries, just enjoy.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bybeth721 July 20, 2010

Too scary for little ones

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 25, 2010

Another so-so kids movie.

Astro Boy isn't bad, but it could be better. Robots killing each other is a bit iffy at best, but it doesn't resonate as scary with younger kids, and doesn't bother older kids. In our family, this movie raised no particular issues. Astro Boy came off as a good role model, although I'm not sure that sacrificing himself for the greater good is such a great message for kids to take out of it. All in all, pretty harmless.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySallyPDC June 24, 2010

Inappropriate themes and plot events, handled insensitively, make this movie inappropriate for ANY children

I was aghast to discover that the main plot is established after the on-screen death of a child in a horrifying military experiment gone awry. Worse, the child's death occurs seconds after his father promises that everything's going to be okay. While the themes of the movie thereafter address the father's grief and his wrong-headed efforts 'replace' his lost child with a robot/clone, it's not a message that my under-10 year old children are prepared to confront, nor does the film address it sensitively. Essentially, a character who seems central at the beginning is dispensed with early and the tragedy of that loss never fully addressed by the film (because, obviously, that would spoil the 'fun'). Much of the rest of the film depicts terrible acts of violence directed towards a character who is admittedly a "robot" but one who appears to be a real child, with authentic feelings and fears. The authentic-seeming child also faces complete rejection from his father (like many movies, there's never been a mother in sight from the start), and falls into the clutches of a cultish robot-slave master who forces him to battle to the death in a Roman-style gladiator's ring. I am generally considered to have pretty loose standards for allowing my children to confront dark themes and cartoonish violence, but at every plot turn in this film, my jaw just dropped at the inappropriate themes, addressed insensitively. I can't believe anyone could for one second consider this a childrens' film, and assume it was made with older, anime-enthusiast teens in mind.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written bybjck March 26, 2010

This is a repeat one at our house - they LOVED it!
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written byginagriff November 10, 2009

I took a group of kids to see this movie and they all enjoyed it, boys & girls. I think the majority of the kids didn't really pick up on the fact that Astro Boy really died in the begining. As far as it being violent, I tend to disagree. Compared to some of the stuff that is out there this was tame and totally sci-fi.
Kid, 7 years old November 1, 2009

Too scary for seven year olds

I left after the first half hour because it was so scary. I think it would still be scary later. I think it is inappropriate for ages seven and under. I found the evil robot really scary and I kept expecting more bad things to happen to Astro Boy.
Parent Written bySMNetwork April 12, 2015

Rip off

I've seen this movie before. It's called Big Hero 6. And Big Hero 6 was the best movie ever. This is just a low budget rip off.
Adult Written byJoshuaHMP January 17, 2015

Toby/Tobio=Astro/Atom

Astro Boy should be the best even though it has violence in it well at least nobody dies right? Oh yeah I forgot Toby died so what? To people who complain about it just let me ask you something how can Toby become Astro if he doesn't die? The story about Toby dies and reborn as a robot has been the same origin of Osamu Tezuka works and he is after all the godfather of anime. As far as it being violent, I tend to disagree. Compared to some of the stuff that is out there this was tame and totally sci-fi, Astroboy was a lot of fun not the best of the year, but very entertaining and very interesting. And this movie is not a cartoon movie! but an animated movie. For children who watched this movie will understand being good is much better than being bad, and for parents who watched this movie will understand that they should spend more time with their kids than at work.
Adult Written byislamalking October 13, 2014

film, youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1buMDTF21FY film, youtube
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2013

A Science Fiction Movie For Littler Kids

There aren't very many science fiction movies for littler kids. The only other one I can think of right now is Wall E. There are WAY too many prudes on this website. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM! THEY'RE OVERPROTECTIVE! There is some violence, but not that much. There's also good messages and role models. I liked the action, and my sisters liked the humor.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStarX May 23, 2012

Good cinema, but LOTS of action and emotion...

I actually watched the movie and it is not at all bad for 8 and up. But there's a lot of violence indeed, and emotions are plentiful, for when Astro dies, it creates an extremely emotional situation. Sex is negligible, for such looks and blablabla are there in almost all cartoon movies. Language also creates a small factor, so mute whenever necessary. I would definitely recommend it to 8 and up, but for 7 and down, you may think on it a bit...
Parent Written byJLFM May 8, 2012

A little violent, but not too bad

Adult Written byTony632 April 9, 2012