Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Astro Boy

Action-packed adventure a fun bet for young superhero fans.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byJollyPumpkin December 4, 2009

Perfect for ALL ages! An above-par movie!

I loved this movie as much as my son did. It's got heart to spare, a lead character you can't help but love, great, uplifting story, great animation and thrilling music score. Really it's the best animated film my family has seen all year, and I'm including "Up" (my kid got bored at that film, although he did like the dog). Yes, it has some darkness and sadness, but so did The Lion King, and it's hardly traumatizing. I haven't seen a movie that moved me so much SINCE The Lion King, come to think of it. My son adored this film so much, we saw it again with my niece and she loved it too. It's a shame it hasn't done better at the box office; the only movie we've seen that comes close to its overall entertainment value was "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs", and "Astro Boy" was even better than that. We are definitely getting the DVD of this film, and my son is hoping for a sequel!

Educational Value
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byMrsAllnut November 19, 2009
What was the message? In this military household, we try to avoid caricatures of military personnel; this one was simply violent for violence's sake. The kill-em-all mentality of the commander was over the top and ridiculously out of date. That doesn't even begin to address the young lad who will become Astro Boy. First, he's vaporized in front of his father, whose relationship with his son has already been established as dysfunctional. Then, after recreating his son as a robot, he rejects the boy, allowing him to be hunted down by the military. After he escapes to the planet below, basically a dump, the movie shifts into "Pinocchio" gear. Frankly, at this point I quit watching. It was an offensive piece of trash. The only levity was purely adult-oriented humor from the communist robot trio. My older children tell me this is standard anime fare; I found it frightening, as did the the younger children in the audience.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ November 14, 2009
Astroboy may be marketed to the wrong audience: the main character looks like a small child, but at heart this is an adolescent movie, dealing with classic adolescent questions: Who am I? Where do I belong? I was utterly riveted by Astroboy, except for the parts I spent consoling a crying 6-year-old. Despite its made-for-toys appearance, this is NOT a movie for the Toy Story set. While my son didn't want to leave the theater, and now says that he liked this movie, he sobbed heartbrokenly over parts of it--and this is a kid who wasn't scared by the Wicked Witch of the West or Darth Vader, and didn't cry when E.T. died. The sad portions of Astroboy hit closer to home for a young child. In a floating city above a polluted earth, privileged humans live in luxury, served by robot slaves, and dump their garbage to the earth's surface, where the poor live. A cynical president bolsters his popularity with military prowess, enforced by armed robots designed by the brilliant Dr. Tenma. The roboticist's bright, cocky son, Toby, impatient with perpetually busy Dad, tails him to a demonstration of a new military robot and uses his precocious computer skills to break through security and see the demonstration up close. Too close. In a kids' movie, you may expect a smartass like Toby to get his comeuppance, like Lightning McQueen in Cars. You don't expect him to get himself killed. Well, as I mentioned, this isn't entirely a kids' movie. Dr. Tenma tries to recreate his dead son as a robot with state-of-the-art defense systems to protect him, powered by a heart of "positive blue energy." (BTW, the scientibabble in this movie makes Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs look like hard sf by comparison. This is OK with me, but your milage may vary.) Programmed with all Toby's memories, the robot boy thinks of himself as Toby, but both Dr. Tenma and the viewer can spot differences right away. In an odd spin on the Pinocchio theme, the robot seems more of a "real boy" than the original, less driven, more playful, more attuned to others' feelings--including those of the robot servants, whose language he now understands. Dr. Tenma rejects him as a flawed copy; the president wants to take his blue energy core and use it for military technology; and robot-Toby, soon renamed Astro, flees to the earth's surface to find a place for himself. Humans see Astro as a boy; robots, with their differing senses, recognize him as a robot. Instinctively benevolent toward human and robot alike, he is perfectly poised to serve as a bridge between worlds: between the floating city and the surface, between the robots and their human overlords. Yet he can trust none of them, and feels at home with none of them, till he earns acceptance through an act of self-denying heroism. Astroboy has plenty of action and pure fun. When Astro first discovers he can fly, his antics had my 6-year-old son bouncing out of his seat with joy. Pythonesque humor comes from the Robots' Revolutionary Front, a ragtag crew whose dream of rebellion is hampered by their programming not to harm a human. But beneath the fun is a more serious, almost mythic tale of loss, grief, sacrifice, and redemption. Teens may not be attracted to this movie because of the baby-faced hero, but they may find it a pleasant surprise. There's plenty here for the adult viewer, including political satire and background visual jokes that I'll look forward to replaying on DVD. But if you want to bring young children, you may want to discuss in advance some plot points they may find deeply threatening: the death of a child, a father's betrayal of his son, and a child's discovery that he is not the "real boy" he thought he was.

Adult Written bywallyk2334 November 12, 2009

Don't let other reviews scare you away from this movie

I was hesitant to take my 5 year old son to see this movie after reading some of these reviews. I had a long talk with him and warned him that the boy dies and is replaced by a robot before we even went to see the movie. All of that was completely unnecessary. Of course their is cartoon violence and of course the boy dies but it is in no way over the top or scary. The movie has a very good message and was ok for me. My son loved it. He said it was one of his favorites. So if you have a kid that is over 5 and has watched any tv, no worries, just enjoy.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written byginagriff November 10, 2009
I took a group of kids to see this movie and they all enjoyed it, boys & girls. I think the majority of the kids didn't really pick up on the fact that Astro Boy really died in the begining. As far as it being violent, I tend to disagree. Compared to some of the stuff that is out there this was tame and totally sci-fi.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byHoneyMommy November 2, 2009

Young kids watching young kids get beaten and killed? Bad Idea

I'm not usually one to urge people to boycott something I don't like. I try to reserve that for the super serious issues, and keep the attitude that for the average stuff, "to each his own". But as a fellow parent, I would be grossly remiss to not warn you to at least THINK TWICE before taking your kids to see the movie ASTRO BOY! Most of us with small kids don't get to go to the movies often anyway, but every now and then a good animated film is advertised, captures our kids' attention and seems worth the risk to attempt a trip to the cinema. My kids are usually great at theatres, so when a fun cartoon comes out we jump at the chance to see it and get some movie-theatre popcorn. So was the case with Astro Boy. My warning to you is that this movie is highly inappropriate for young children. It was deceivingly advertised and marketed to young kids. Firstly, it's a cartoon, with a kinda bubbly animation form that usually translates to "safe for kids" content. Secondly, it's about a kid. Thirdly, they pushed it at little kids with Astro Boy toys in HappyMeals (those are for young kids, right) But most importantly, it got a PG rating. And it really is not for kids. WHAT'S INAPPROPRIATE ABOUT ASTRO BOY? In a nutshell: -There is a ton of GUN violence -The words "kill" and "die" and "dead" are said constantly throughout -The young star of the film is KILLED in the first 15 minutes of the movie. (it's an explict scene as he cries to his father to save him) -It's full of abuse, neglect, and violence towards children or child-like characters. -The fight scenes are long, scary, and gruesome -There's a ton of political messaging I'm assuming this movie managed to get a PG rating because, technically, there is no explicit foul language, nudity, or sex. But it baffles me because there is a great deal of explicit violence that is very scary for young children. And since when did kid's movies replace moral messages with political ones? I know that sometimes, there's a gray area between the two, but this movie was clearly more political than moral. And despite what my own political opinions may be, I don't want political innuendo constantly reiterated (literally over and over) to my 3 year old during a cartoon. I want my kids to be happy-go-lucky little kids for quite a while longer. It was uncomfortable for me to watch this movie with my kids, and by the end, my 3 year-old was wailing. His heart was heavy, he was sad and scared, and saying he did not like this movie. It was sad without being redeeming and violent without being exciting. Now, personally I'm a free spirit who feels that all forms of entertaiment have a place, because no one brand of entertainment fits all people. Again, I have always had a "to each his own" view of this, and still do, even with regards to this film. I believe it's a parents responsiblity to protect their own children from inappropriate content in media and elsewhere. And in that spirit, that's what I tried to do. Ideally, I would have spent the (excessive) $11.00 for a movie ticket (and 2 hours of my life) to go the the movie by myself and pre-screen it before taking my children, to make sure it was appropriate. But, is that realistic? No! Instead, I did the best I could as a parent (who had already had this movie over-marketed to my 3-year-old before I even knew about), I read the summary, I read reviews, and I looked at the rating. None of which gave any clue of the violence or death contained in the movie. So after being begged by a kid who had recieved an Astro Boy toy with his Happy Meal, and saw commericials that did not hint to any of the violence, I spent $50 to take my family of 4 to an early matinee. And so that's why I'm writing this message, now. As parents we need to look out for eachother, right? When product marketing becomes our nemesis, when rating systems fail us, and when reality just does not allow for us to "pre-screen" everything, we need the help of fellow parents! It's why we band together for mom's clubs and playdates, and why we give recommendations on everything from car seats to cribs. I wish someone had warned me about this movie before I traumatized my own kids with a so-called "treat to the theatre." Unfortunately, my husband and I both think that this "mis-rating" of movies is a growing trend. Since animated movies tend to do better in the box offices, it seems like producers are pushing through "adult" themed movies in animated form. Maybe I'll just have to start doing that $11 self-screening, afterall. Having said all this, I'm not advising anyone NOT to see it, I'm just warning you to think twice before you take your kid(s).

Parent of a 9 year old Written byS Snape November 1, 2009

bad.it is boring.it is the same thing over and over

it is pretty bad but it isnt as bad as some other movies it is just the same thing over and over... astro boy vs robots

Adult Written byquicksilver369 November 1, 2009

Entertaining but not in my top 10.

My 7 and 9 year old boys liked the movie. It wasn't too violent and was somewhat entertaining. However my youngest didn't like that Astroboy dies twice. When the human boy dies it is a sad moment for the younger kids.

Adult Written byRockmoma October 29, 2009

Perfect for my 9 yr old autistic son

Very definite about good and evil. Encouraged learning and to use abilities for good. Showed that family and friendship should be valued. Although I didn't understand why there was no mother.

Educational Value
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycyberBeach October 29, 2009

Astroboy is a lot of fun

Astroboy was a lot of fun. My 9-year-old girl really liked it too. Not the bestof the year, but very entetaining and very interesting. She is old enough to understand "bad guys" who are misguided, not just pure evil, and Astroboy's dad is that.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMom 2 Seth October 23, 2009

Too Violent

The negatives far outweight the positives in this movie. Very violent including (but not limited to) the death of a man's son (who is easily replaced), attempted murder, and suicidal behavior. The little ones might not catch all of that, but they can't miss the exploxions that are so loud they vibrate the chest cavity. For my money, I'd rather my kiddo see something less confusing.