Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Astro Boy

Action-packed adventure a fun bet for young superhero fans.

Adult Written byDave L. April 24, 2017

A special type of hero

Too many modern heroes are too keen to fight. My kid thinks good guys want to kill bad guys and bad guys want to kill good guys. In other words, there's no difference! Astroboy is different. Like the best kind of hero, he wants to save everybody if he can. In that respect, he reminds me of the hero in Princess Mononoke. Unfortunately, this movie still has a lot of violence, meaning it is probably not appropriate for very young kids.

Adult Written byJLFM May 8, 2012

A little violent, but not too bad

Adult Written byTony632 April 9, 2012

blast off !

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byAunt Kren March 26, 2010

Good for older children

Started with the death of the boy. Then, once the robot is made, from the boy's memories, the Dad rejects the robot. Too much going on in this movie, hard for younger kids to go over all of this adult subject matter that so happens to be in a cartoon form.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byndebane March 12, 2010
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJollyPumpkin December 4, 2009

Perfect for ALL ages! An above-par movie!

I loved this movie as much as my son did. It's got heart to spare, a lead character you can't help but love, great, uplifting story, great animation and thrilling music score. Really it's the best animated film my family has seen all year, and I'm including "Up" (my kid got bored at that film, although he did like the dog). Yes, it has some darkness and sadness, but so did The Lion King, and it's hardly traumatizing. I haven't seen a movie that moved me so much SINCE The Lion King, come to think of it. My son adored this film so much, we saw it again with my niece and she loved it too. It's a shame it hasn't done better at the box office; the only movie we've seen that comes close to its overall entertainment value was "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs", and "Astro Boy" was even better than that. We are definitely getting the DVD of this film, and my son is hoping for a sequel!

Educational Value
Adult Written byquicksilver369 November 1, 2009

Entertaining but not in my top 10.

My 7 and 9 year old boys liked the movie. It wasn't too violent and was somewhat entertaining. However my youngest didn't like that Astroboy dies twice. When the human boy dies it is a sad moment for the younger kids.

Adult Written byRockmoma October 29, 2009

Perfect for my 9 yr old autistic son

Very definite about good and evil. Encouraged learning and to use abilities for good. Showed that family and friendship should be valued. Although I didn't understand why there was no mother.

Educational Value
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycyberBeach October 29, 2009

Astroboy is a lot of fun

Astroboy was a lot of fun. My 9-year-old girl really liked it too. Not the bestof the year, but very entetaining and very interesting. She is old enough to understand "bad guys" who are misguided, not just pure evil, and Astroboy's dad is that.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMom 2 Seth October 23, 2009

Too Violent

The negatives far outweight the positives in this movie. Very violent including (but not limited to) the death of a man's son (who is easily replaced), attempted murder, and suicidal behavior. The little ones might not catch all of that, but they can't miss the exploxions that are so loud they vibrate the chest cavity. For my money, I'd rather my kiddo see something less confusing.