All member reviews for Attack the Block

British sci-fi action movie is clever but gory, druggy.

Parent Written bybill colins September 10, 2011

This film is great - belive.

Greatfilm with very witty dialogue. This film is a fun escape and appeals to teenage boys in particular. The main thing to remember here though is these hoodies a real thugs. Violence is a way of life so when the aliens come a good weapon is at hand and the gang mentality is scarily factual. 'yeah mum i'm just playing soccer' says one as they are robbing a single defensless female. A good point to make with the wannbe hoodies in your middle class family. They may be the good guys now but they are in reality thugs. But letting it all go and enjoying the ride is what this movie is about and what a ride. Mini bike getaways, firework rocket missles and near misses as the glowing teeth just skim by. Gore and death are detailed and a few horror moments make it a nightmare enducer for the 13 and unders. Lots of pot smoking and time spent in amongst a hydro room set up but again some classic lines takes the edge of it all. Great indie flick. .And look out for mayhem - wickid.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlastAr April 2, 2012

Attack the Block is action-packed fun for mature teens and up.

Violence: 4/5 Constant threat, including a mugging. People are attacked brutally by aliens, and we see the aftermaths (severed heads, mangled bodies, blood sprays). Aliens are killed but this isn't horribly graphic (think PG-13 level). Language: 4/5 Many uses of f*ck and it's derivatives by kids, teens, and adults. As well as uses of sh*t and milder terms. Drug Use: 3/5 Teens smoke weed and are around weed in many scenes. One character has a "weed room". Total Explicit Content: 11/15 My Rating: 15+ for bloody violence, language, and drug material.
Parent Written byhorror movie genus March 13, 2012

read it

this movies about aliens attacking earth. there are shooting,gangs and weesd this movie would be rated pg-13 if it wasnt for the drugs and launguage
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byluchau September 20, 2014

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 28, 2014

Cult sci-fi movie clever, predictable

I heard many, many good things about "Attack the Block" a few years back. Those expectations were not reached, as halfway through the movie I still had no sympathy for the punks that robbed the poor woman. But eventually their character is fleshed out, and you see a bit of their back story. The visuals were practical and impressive, the language fairly strong throughout. Might need to use captions for the very strong South London accents!
Teen, 13 years old Written byattacktheblock1962 September 7, 2013

great great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i seen it and im 9 i live in n ireland its 15 there it real great where would a kid get drugs let your kid wathch it
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilgymnast11 August 11, 2013

Great Movie

My parents watched this and probably bugged me to watch it for a good couple of weeks. I watched it last night and loved it so much that i watched it again this morning. The main character, Moses, is so mysterious.. Every character almost becomes a part of you. I absolutely loved this movie. Yes, it does swear a lot. But this movie is about a group of teenage boys. You should already expect that. It is also very gory. In some scenes, it actually shows the aliens tearing the humans apart. I absolutely love this movie and recommend it to everyone.
Kid, 12 years old March 7, 2013

A Movie I'll See When I'm Older

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I'll see this when I'm older.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymariie99 October 21, 2012

13+

I love this movie. Its great! I was surprised when i saw the rating. I find it ridiculous to not let a 16 year old watch this. I saw it when I was 12 with my dad and my sis and it was great we all liked it.
Kid, 9 years old November 30, 2011

The truth

This is my favorite movie but really lots of suggestive themes. The violence is gory and bloody and the language is horrible more than 70 uses of the word f**k and lots of use of ni**er. the drugs are bad to lots of people smoke weed and there is a room full of weed. But there is great role models and positive messages.
Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2011

BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR SO FAR!

Attack The Block is a great movie. While it does have some good role models there is some violence. Like in one scene we see a face ripped up and another scene when one of the aliens eat a neck. And another when one of the aliens beherad a person. And there is some pot-smoking., but it is only at least 50 seconds of it. Great movie. :D
Teen, 17 years old Written bySynchronicity July 30, 2011

Most entertaining film of the year, by far; a fantastic horror comedy perfectly okay for teens

Attack the Block was on my must-see list ever since SXSW premiered it, but since its main characters are British hoodies (gangsters) that used a lot of street slang in pretty hard accents, the likelihood of it coming here was pretty slim. Until Screen Gems, Stage 6 and Sony picked it up for US release, that is. And although I'm a little bit angry at their method of distributing it in only seven cities for the time being (but I understand why), I'm glad we get it. Why? It's the most fun I've had at the movies this year! (And this has been a pretty good year to begin with...) More on ATB itself: the film opens with a young woman named Sam getting mugged by a group of five hoodies named Moses, Pest, Dennis, Jerome and Biggz. The attack is interrupted, however, by an alien life form crashing into a car, and the hoodies subsequently attack and kill it while Sam calls the police at her house in the local council estate (welfare apartment/public house). Little does she know that all five of the hoodies live in the same council estate - and the aliens will be invading it any minute. Against all odds, the group of six teams up to fight them off. Along the way, we meet Ron (Nick Frost, who's as amazing as ever), a drug dealer who smokes joints with the gang, his stoner friend Brewis, another really bad drug dealer named Hi-Hatz, who thinks he's the king of the block, and a cast of crazy tenants (some related to the hoodies), including two nine-year-olds named Mayhem and Probs who want to fight aliens with the big boys too. Indeed, everything about Attack the Block is fantastic: the visual effects (especially the monsters' glowing teeth), the score (by Steven Price, Felix Buxton and Simon Ratcliffe - we know the other two as Basement Jaxx), the acting (many people here are unknowns, and John Boyega as Moses is the best of them), and especially the dialogue. There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and they're not all in the trailers (unlike most movies). Attack the Block is hilarious and satisfying in a sea of by-the-book horror and comedy films. It's also appropriate for teens like its forebears, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead (both directed by Edgar Wright, who produced this film). Violence is pretty rampant throughout. While the film starts off with a mugging and a bit of knife threat involved, that's the only part that's realistic in its depiction. It's when the aliens come out that things get gory. The aliens wreak a lot of havoc on the council estate, with bloody bitings and scratchings, a decapitation, a lot of head and throat-ripping, and blood spurts all around. The strongest moment is when Hi-Hatz and his cohort get eaten and ripped to pieces by the aliens in an elevator. We briefly see one of their bloody heads ripped to the bone, but there are three things that mitigate this: it looks fake, it's only shown for about two seconds, and it's done to an evil character, so he pretty much gets what's coming to him. The hoodies get back at the aliens with many weapons, including katanas, flick knives, the occasional handgun, a Super Soaker filled with gasoline, a lighter, and fireworks, among others. There are also a few jump scenes. Language is quite raw, with about 50 f-bombs and 3 mf-bombs, mostly said by the teen cast, but sometimes said by the two 9-year-olds, and there's milder profanity like "p*ssy", "sh*t", "b*tch", "*ssh*le", "d*mn" and "h*ll". There are only one or two really crude sexual references worth noting. Finally, there's a lot of drug use, especially since the kids end up hiding in Ron's Weed Room (a big room full of weed, and it's Ron's), and the main antagonist deals cocaine (not shown). However, even though the hoodies do pass around and roll joints, they're clearly disoriented after smoking. Moses, the leader of the gang, is pretty much anti-drug. Well, that's it. Overall, this is the best time I've had at the movies this year. Even with all of the typical action-packed offerings (X-Men: First Class, Captain America, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2), funny comedies (Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses, Midnight in Paris) and good arthouse films (Meek's Cutoff, Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest, The Tree of Life), Attack the Block is by far the biggest blast of 2011. It may not win any Academy Awards, but its hilarious script, good scares and funny-cheesy gore prove that Joe Cornish has much promise as a director. It's also perfectly okay for most teens, despite the R-rating, and the Brits gave it a 15 and up. (I find that more appropriate.) When it attacks your block, SEE IT! We need more films like this!