All member reviews for August Rush

Pleasant, emotional, fable-like family drama.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byKunmingMom July 2, 2010

true love?

August's parents meet, start kissing after exchanging just a few sentences, come together in a one night stand, never forget each other, and eventually find each other, reunited in true love after 11 long years. There's only a little kissing shown on screen, so the images are not a problem. The more troubling issue: what constitutes true love? What forms the foundation of a durable, lasting love relationship that produces a stable marriage? Is it looking into each other's eyes on a moonlit night and sharing a mystical connection through music? I want my kids to be exposed to stories about what true love really looks like. I don't want to fill their imaginations with romantic but flimsy models of what it's like to meet 'the one'. This one's not worth seeing for a number of reasons. That particular message is most troubling to me.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

sweet and innocent, with an excellent cast
Adult Written bymominthenow June 21, 2010

Loved it when we saw it in the theatre- bought it on dvd as part of Father's Day gift, and will watch it for the second time with our girls- ages 8 and 10 (both very mature)- this week...
Teen, 14 years old Written bygeckogirl May 13, 2010

It was ok

It was an ok movie... actually, it was pretty good... but a little uncomfortable if you wanted to watch it with little kids...
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviestar511 February 16, 2010

Great movie, family movie

I loved the movie. It was great and had a great ending to it. I advise anyone to see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoBro_Fan_7 February 4, 2011

Wonderful Movie

I started whaching it in choir, then ended up renting it to finish. It was a very beautiful movie, and I wish it had gotten better reviews from critics. Then again, I'm a band geek, and the music in this flim is phenominal.
Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2009

This movie is all about music which is cool because I LOVE music.It shows what happens when a boy goes to find his mother and father but he doesn't know he has a gift.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 September 4, 2009

This is my favorite movie!

Amazing movie! Gives me chills every time I watch it! Music can really move you.
Kid, 10 years old July 17, 2009

PARENTS MUST READ THAT...

it's very sad story- there is bad language and all of that stuff- but the here are the two things that really hit me: VIOLENCE There is a man capturing kids for money, and it has at least 1 scary scene of the man threatening August. SEX A couple is making out on the stair way... yikes! A couple sleeps together, but not naked, just cuddling a lot- but it's a little explicit. It's a good movie, but parents better watch out!
Adult Written bytdage April 9, 2008

Adult Written byMatt Berman April 9, 2008

Beautiful and moving

This is the kind of movie everyone says they wish Hollywood would make more of -- flat-out gorgeous, exciting, moving, great for kids and adults, a true family movie, and perfect for the holidays. Visual and aural poetry, great performances. Leave the cynicism at the door and open yourself to the experience.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

A homage to music and hope

Married as I am to a classical musician and composer - and being myself someone who finds God and the Holy Spirit closest when I hear music - I was entranced by this film. An incredible witness to the power of music and a dazzling twist on (er..) oliver twist. As Robin Williams' character says, 'Music is God's little reminder that there's something more than just us'. The principal actor - the boy - plays an amazing role. I cried buckets! Beautiful!!
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2014

August Rush

This was a so-so film, as it had an incredible soundtrack but the plot just dragged along and there's ton of flashbacks so it's a bit confusing. There's only implied sex, and the couple are fully clothed the next morning.
Kid, 12 years old July 31, 2013

Stunning!

Don't miss it!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus September 17, 2012

Love it!

Great inspirational movie. If you have a passion for music you will like this movie. Good family movie if you have older kids. Some language and violence (could be kind of scary for kids).
Teen, 13 years old Written bykiranbala March 30, 2012

August Rush

I am the mother of a 14 year old and i watched the movie on a computer with him when he was 11. He joined me when the part about the parent's one night stand was over so I did not feel very discomfited. The best part of the movie was that it motivated my son to pick up the guitar!!..and he has learnt to play quite well now. I want to watch the movie with him again but do not know how much knowledge he has gained about intimacy between people by now. Apart from this one fact I found the movie to be superb, entertaining and it had some great music.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byobsrvr January 13, 2012

This movie is now #3 on my list of favorite artistic movies

While I agree with the parent who wrote that it should not be treated as a shining example of "true love", you can discuss that fact with your children. It's just a story. I had a harder time explaining the mysticism to my son. That said, I agree with the principal view that music is all around us, even though not everybody can "tune in." I did roll my eyes when little August, with only one lesson on actual theory and practice, writes this beatiful piece and gets accepted to Julliard and goes straight to conducting the Phil. You will need to explain that this is completely unrealistic; even musical geniuses need to study and practice to achieve such goals.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 June 1, 2011

August Rush Is the Rush

This is a great music film with lots of music and messages
Teen, 15 years old Written byshanno15 April 30, 2011

Musically Amazing movie has heart

My favorite movie, made beautifully, has a great message and the music is amazing! A must see movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bywebkinzlover April 11, 2011