All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 10 year old Written byboyzintx January 10, 2010

After reading many reviews and talking to many other parents, I finally took my kids to see Avatar in 3D. They are boys aged 10 and 6. I did not think the violence was a concern at all. There was no blood and all of the action is seen from a distance. There were fire balls and explosives, but no close-ups of anyone dying. I also did not think the sensuality ended up being a concern. There is a brief kissing scene, and the term "mating" is then used as a synonym for marriage. There is never an overt reference to sex. The na'vi people wear very little clothing, and there are a few scenes shot from a distance where you can see the side of a female breast with nipple. Since it is from a distance and from the side it is mostly in shadow. Throughout the rest of the movie the breasts are mostly covered with ornate necklaces. I also was not concerned with this matter since these are a native people and not portrayed to be human or expected to be dressed as such. I did discuss this matter with my kids beforehand. The language is extremely rough and not used just in the battle scenes. The movie starts with adult language and the language is used throughout. Though I knew there was adult language in this film there was a lot more and more continuous use of adult language than I realized. This proved to be my largest concern, though I discussed this issue both before and after the film with my children. I think most of the language was gratuitous and did not add to the intensity of the film. Whether or not you take your child will need to hinge on whether or not you believe your child can hear these words and still have the maturity to know not to use these words. There are numerous uses of a**, sh**, g**-da**, and some terms that a curious child might want to have explained, such as limp-d*****.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypbout January 6, 2010

language

too many God's in vain -- I do not care how good it is if it does that!
Parent of a 5, 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bymdpwilliams February 16, 2010

Okay, they're alien life forms, but their bodies resemble humans completely and the lack of clothing (bare breasts and nipples) were a problem for me. Most of the time, the females are covered - when viewed from the front, by a necklace, but there are 5 or 6 occasions where you get a good, clear profile of a bare breast with an erect nipple right in front of you. There's also a sex scene. You don't see any graphic hard core sex, but they make out and moan some. You have no doubt as to what they are doing, especially when she states after they finish (and she's straddling his lap) that they have now "mated for life".The storyline was great. I wasn't even bothered by the whole "Mother" of the planet topics. But to say that sex isn't an issue in this movie is misleading. If the nudity had been made clear, I would not have gone to see it. So, parents, if you wouldn't take your teen to a movie where they show a woman's bare breast in profile 5 or 6 times, don't take them to see this. The only difference between what you see in this movie and what you see in real life is that the breast in question is blue.
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2010

A-MA-ZING!

THIS IS EASILY MY FAVORITE MOVIE! And it is. Any kid over 9 should be able to watch this movie. i LOVED it. The title of the review should say it all.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion February 5, 2010

A Miraculous Experience...

AVATAR shows that James Cameron is truly one of his generation's finest directors. Not only has he mastered visual effects, animation, and 3-D to stunning effect, but he can always create plots and characters that are engaging, deep, and sympathetic. AVATAR is an absolutely stunning movie, and is the realization of the entire decade of movies striving towards perfect visuals. AVATAR is miraculous entertainment. It is positive, uplifting, entertaining, and down-right awe-inspiring. However, it is not for all kids. Violence is, for the most part, constant but non-graphic. However, there are several emotionally harrowing scenes that come towards the climax of the film that show the demise of major characters. The villain is menacing, but not scary. Actual sexual content is very brief and mild, aside from the fact that a lot of the film features the non-sexual nudity of the Na'vi. Language is a bigger issue than I though: there are almost constant "d**n"s, "a*s"s, "b***ard"s, and "b**ch"s. The movie plays up loyalty and sacrifice while condemning war and violence. While there are plenty of villains, all of the central characters are excellent role models. AVATAR is a must-see movie, but not for the family.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byblissful January 18, 2010

Amazing movie that we will share with our boys in a few years when they're ready.

This is an excellent movie with a good message for older children. We prescreened it without the kids, and decided that the monsters were too scary for our 5 and 7 year old boys, and that the violence was so personal that it would upset them. Some day they will need to know that war is very real and that good people die in senseless ways. They will know about greed and evil, and we will not shelter them from that knowledge because it's part of growing up. But for now, this is way too mature and too much to put on their little shoulders. McDonalds should be ashamed for marketing this to young children with toys, making it seem like a kids' movie. That said, my husband and I loved it, and I think the right 11 or 12 year old would do well with this movie. The violence is not gratuitous. It is integral to the story, and it's disturbing, but it's supposed to be. It's an amazing movie that families with teens should see. Families with young children should get a babysitter so the grownups can see this in the theater. Very worth it.
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

good movie not for really little kids though.
Adult Written byshavais January 11, 2010

too raunchy for 10

One 40 year old man's perspective - Being an avid sci-fi/fantasy fan from an early age, I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I personally think the 3D effects weren't nearly worth the money they spent on them, and I do agree with people who feel it lacked originality. I was much more concerned, however, about the impact the movie will have on my 10 year old nephew and his friends. Because this movie was rated PG, practically every kid is going to see it, at some point, which I think is a bit of a subtly-slid-in disaster for our culture. It's fairly clear to me that many, many modern single mothers are not really fully cognizant of the impact that sexual imagery (ie. nipple slips, nipples seen in shadows or through flimsy material, etc) and vulgar language has on young, developing male minds. No amount of talking, before or after, is going to reduce the impact. The idea that it will is a laughable misconception, imo, born out of the mother's need to reassure herself that she should be allowing what she's allowing. My take: If, after careful review, you feel a need to reassure yourself - don't.
Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2010

A boring James Cameron film

Constant swearing including "b***h" and many others. Lots of violence and a very poor movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBest Mom January 14, 2010

See the movie first then take your child.

I saw this movie twice. First with my husband then with my 7 year old daughter. It was a fantastic 3-d movie! Just be aware of the language. Talk to your children about the movie. I explain to her about the movie before she saw it. My daughter loved the movie. We all loved the movie. It was the best 3-d movie I ever saw. Fantastic!
Adult Written bykneecoalyoli January 4, 2010

For older kids, DOES show a nipple!

I just want to say that there is DEFINITELY a nipple slip on the main female alien. I really think parents need to know this before allowing their kids to watch it. Very awesome movie, I loved it, but I would want to know before sending my kids to see it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFarmerDad January 28, 2010

Worst movie I have ever seen!!!

I have put up with bad movies, but this one I actually wanted to ask the theater for a refund for three reasons: 1 - I'm tired of the Hollywood messages underlying this movie (military is evil, corporations are greedy at any cost, whites are evil, natives are noble and environmentally green, etc. etc. Where's the barf bag with my ticket? I want to puke... 2 - The story is soooooooooo predictable from beginning to end (really there's not much of a story here. 3 - The language is awful The only thing the movie had going for it was the special effects which I saw in 2D --they'd definitely be better in 3D
Teen, 15 years old Written bySookyounghan June 17, 2010

Great Movie

OMG! This is one of the best movie ever!
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2010

I loved it! Most amazing movie ever, though it was a bit violent. A friend of mine was giving a sort of informal poll and found that most boys liked the last 40 minutes (the violent part) and that most girls liked the first 2 hours (the non-violent part). Just an interesting observation. But, otherwise...best movie ever! I've seen it twice and would love to see it a third time, let alone have it! xD Best ever!
Kid, 9 years old June 21, 2010

I loved it! Great imagination going for kids 9+ just a few scary parts.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviesarecoolxx June 19, 2010

Best Movie Of Well...Ever? (:

a must see for everyone! some intense scenes, but it should be ok for anyone 11 or maybe 10 and older- no ones going to want to miss out on something this epic (:
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2010

Amazing Movie for Preteens and Up

I absolutely LOVED this movie! I would say this movie is not appropriate for kids under ten because there is a little romance going on and the last 30 minutes is kinda violent. The violence includes much gunfire and bow and arrow shooting,huge explosions ,and war planes crashing. They characters use a lot of swears all through the movie . Overall best movie ever!
Adult Written byDPet December 23, 2009

Mother Nature & Sex Change Allegory Candy Coated for your kids.

This movie is full of 'Mother Nature' new age crap candy coated with beautiful sci-fi action and 3-D. One of the 'moral choices' a character makes is to change is race to alien permanently teaching your kids that as long as you feel different than what you are its o.k. to change your physical being to be that person. With that in mind, this movie is beautifully 3-D, colorful, and interestingly written. I'm sorry but this movie is NOT appropriate for immature children.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2010

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

This was the awesomest movie I've ever seen! There is intense violence, though, and some of it thoroughly freaked me out. In one scene, the military fires balls of fire and explosives at "Home Tree" where the Na'vi (Avatar people) live. It is explained that there are children, women, and whole families living in that tree when it is destroyed, which I thought was disturbing and sad. But I think everyone 11+ can handle it. It also had a really great story. You can't keep your eyes off the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bykjm January 10, 2010

Great for the imagery, not so much the story.

I saw Avatar in 3D and it was worth the money...only for the computer generated imagery. The scenery looked realistic and captured the imagination of "another world". The storyline was too predictable. I've watched enough Disney movies...Pocahontas, Atlantis, plus Fern Gully. For all the money they spent on the movie, I would expect an original plot.