All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 5, 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bymdpwilliams February 16, 2010

Okay, they're alien life forms, but their bodies resemble humans completely and the lack of clothing (bare breasts and nipples) were a problem for me. Most of the time, the females are covered - when viewed from the front, by a necklace, but there are 5 or 6 occasions where you get a good, clear profile of a bare breast with an erect nipple right in front of you. There's also a sex scene. You don't see any graphic hard core sex, but they make out and moan some. You have no doubt as to what they are doing, especially when she states after they finish (and she's straddling his lap) that they have now "mated for life".The storyline was great. I wasn't even bothered by the whole "Mother" of the planet topics. But to say that sex isn't an issue in this movie is misleading. If the nudity had been made clear, I would not have gone to see it. So, parents, if you wouldn't take your teen to a movie where they show a woman's bare breast in profile 5 or 6 times, don't take them to see this. The only difference between what you see in this movie and what you see in real life is that the breast in question is blue.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 10 year old Written byboyzintx January 10, 2010

After reading many reviews and talking to many other parents, I finally took my kids to see Avatar in 3D. They are boys aged 10 and 6. I did not think the violence was a concern at all. There was no blood and all of the action is seen from a distance. There were fire balls and explosives, but no close-ups of anyone dying. I also did not think the sensuality ended up being a concern. There is a brief kissing scene, and the term "mating" is then used as a synonym for marriage. There is never an overt reference to sex. The na'vi people wear very little clothing, and there are a few scenes shot from a distance where you can see the side of a female breast with nipple. Since it is from a distance and from the side it is mostly in shadow. Throughout the rest of the movie the breasts are mostly covered with ornate necklaces. I also was not concerned with this matter since these are a native people and not portrayed to be human or expected to be dressed as such. I did discuss this matter with my kids beforehand. The language is extremely rough and not used just in the battle scenes. The movie starts with adult language and the language is used throughout. Though I knew there was adult language in this film there was a lot more and more continuous use of adult language than I realized. This proved to be my largest concern, though I discussed this issue both before and after the film with my children. I think most of the language was gratuitous and did not add to the intensity of the film. Whether or not you take your child will need to hinge on whether or not you believe your child can hear these words and still have the maturity to know not to use these words. There are numerous uses of a**, sh**, g**-da**, and some terms that a curious child might want to have explained, such as limp-d*****.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypbout January 6, 2010

language

too many God's in vain -- I do not care how good it is if it does that!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion February 5, 2010

A Miraculous Experience...

AVATAR shows that James Cameron is truly one of his generation's finest directors. Not only has he mastered visual effects, animation, and 3-D to stunning effect, but he can always create plots and characters that are engaging, deep, and sympathetic. AVATAR is an absolutely stunning movie, and is the realization of the entire decade of movies striving towards perfect visuals. AVATAR is miraculous entertainment. It is positive, uplifting, entertaining, and down-right awe-inspiring. However, it is not for all kids. Violence is, for the most part, constant but non-graphic. However, there are several emotionally harrowing scenes that come towards the climax of the film that show the demise of major characters. The villain is menacing, but not scary. Actual sexual content is very brief and mild, aside from the fact that a lot of the film features the non-sexual nudity of the Na'vi. Language is a bigger issue than I though: there are almost constant "d**n"s, "a*s"s, "b***ard"s, and "b**ch"s. The movie plays up loyalty and sacrifice while condemning war and violence. While there are plenty of villains, all of the central characters are excellent role models. AVATAR is a must-see movie, but not for the family.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byblissful January 18, 2010

Amazing movie that we will share with our boys in a few years when they're ready.

This is an excellent movie with a good message for older children. We prescreened it without the kids, and decided that the monsters were too scary for our 5 and 7 year old boys, and that the violence was so personal that it would upset them. Some day they will need to know that war is very real and that good people die in senseless ways. They will know about greed and evil, and we will not shelter them from that knowledge because it's part of growing up. But for now, this is way too mature and too much to put on their little shoulders. McDonalds should be ashamed for marketing this to young children with toys, making it seem like a kids' movie. That said, my husband and I loved it, and I think the right 11 or 12 year old would do well with this movie. The violence is not gratuitous. It is integral to the story, and it's disturbing, but it's supposed to be. It's an amazing movie that families with teens should see. Families with young children should get a babysitter so the grownups can see this in the theater. Very worth it.
Adult Written byshavais January 11, 2010

too raunchy for 10

One 40 year old man's perspective - Being an avid sci-fi/fantasy fan from an early age, I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I personally think the 3D effects weren't nearly worth the money they spent on them, and I do agree with people who feel it lacked originality. I was much more concerned, however, about the impact the movie will have on my 10 year old nephew and his friends. Because this movie was rated PG, practically every kid is going to see it, at some point, which I think is a bit of a subtly-slid-in disaster for our culture. It's fairly clear to me that many, many modern single mothers are not really fully cognizant of the impact that sexual imagery (ie. nipple slips, nipples seen in shadows or through flimsy material, etc) and vulgar language has on young, developing male minds. No amount of talking, before or after, is going to reduce the impact. The idea that it will is a laughable misconception, imo, born out of the mother's need to reassure herself that she should be allowing what she's allowing. My take: If, after careful review, you feel a need to reassure yourself - don't.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBest Mom January 14, 2010

See the movie first then take your child.

I saw this movie twice. First with my husband then with my 7 year old daughter. It was a fantastic 3-d movie! Just be aware of the language. Talk to your children about the movie. I explain to her about the movie before she saw it. My daughter loved the movie. We all loved the movie. It was the best 3-d movie I ever saw. Fantastic!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bysassysas March 30, 2015

Can your kids handle it?

This is great sci-fi movie with amazing graphics and a stunning display of directing, but you really should be sure your kids are ready for it first. My ten-year old (technically nine, but almost ten) was off at a sleepover, so I sat down with my son and watched this movie with him. The ending is extremely violent, involving bombs, gases, guns, gunships, etc. Many characters die, but aren't shown bloody, merely falling or their area exploding. The Avatars are only fighting back because the humans destroyed their home, which is a good reason for war in my book. :-) Sexuality was okay for my older kids. The male Navi wear loincloths and that's it, while the women wear necklaces to cover their you-know-whats (keeping it cool for the kids on this site). All of the basic swear words are used including s--t, b---h, and others. The same four characters are always swearing and, the good thing is, they usually have a reason. Other than all that, the movie heartfelt, revolving around an other-wordly relationship and an adventure to find true identity.
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

good movie not for really little kids though.
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2010

Parent of a 13 year old Written byFarmerDad January 28, 2010

Worst movie I have ever seen!!!

I have put up with bad movies, but this one I actually wanted to ask the theater for a refund for three reasons: 1 - I'm tired of the Hollywood messages underlying this movie (military is evil, corporations are greedy at any cost, whites are evil, natives are noble and environmentally green, etc. etc. Where's the barf bag with my ticket? I want to puke... 2 - The story is soooooooooo predictable from beginning to end (really there's not much of a story here. 3 - The language is awful The only thing the movie had going for it was the special effects which I saw in 2D --they'd definitely be better in 3D
Adult Written byDPet December 23, 2009

Mother Nature & Sex Change Allegory Candy Coated for your kids.

This movie is full of 'Mother Nature' new age crap candy coated with beautiful sci-fi action and 3-D. One of the 'moral choices' a character makes is to change is race to alien permanently teaching your kids that as long as you feel different than what you are its o.k. to change your physical being to be that person. With that in mind, this movie is beautifully 3-D, colorful, and interestingly written. I'm sorry but this movie is NOT appropriate for immature children.
Written byAnonymous June 6, 2010

Meh...

Well, sorry, if you haven't seen it on the big screen in 3D (I did), forget you ever heard of it. The graphics are well, out of this world, but the storyline is like Pocahontas meets the smurfs sadly...
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

Please read my full review. Many different messages within the movie.

A "blur the lines" message is present throughout the whole film. The concentration of how "evil" the "aliens" are is ever-present and echoes concerns of actual certain governments presently on this Earth. Within 25 minutes of the movie, you will hear God's name used in vain 2-3 times. By the end of the film, God's name is 'damned' approximately 8 times. As an Evangelist and as a Youth Minister, I find the contents of this movie inappropriate for - 1) Young people, 16 and below. 2) Christians I actually went to the other room for about 30 minutes during this movie due to the overwhelming amount of language. There is a rule inside my home where, if God's name is used in vain, we cut the movie off. If it were a movie that I was showing, it wouldn't have made it to the 30 minute mark. I can remember in the early 80's how movies like this would automatically be rated R for such extreme language. Now, it is PG-13? Definitely shows the Moral Compass of Today's Society. There is a sub-masked meaning to this movie that does bring a good message but the overtones and characters that tell the story with their dialog are definitely NOT role models. Jake Sully, who is presumably "Adam" -- takes of the "fruit," is involved in a "sensual scene," takes God's name in vain a couple of times, turns on "his people," and is "reborn" as "Spirit-people" who "worship nature" mirroring somewhat of a "wiccan" setting. The movie had potential and if some scenes would have been changed and the language cleaned up, this could've been a classic. Unfortunately its nothing more than a "pop-movie" that will lose it's touch in a couple of years.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegurl March 24, 2010

Kinda violent.

I thought Avatar was a good movie, it had a really good message. It was really violent though, that's the only part that I really didn't like about it. There are a lot of cussing in the movie, but it wasn't too bad... It's really a good movie, and if you are thinking about taking your family to see it, I would suggest it... It's a little intense for anyone under age 12, but it's got great animation, and is a must see!
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2010

Great Movie

I liked this movie a lot when i saw it, but with younger kids, be careful. there is some scary images, and a LOT of swearing; basically every word but f**** . Also, there is a scene of "mating" which really just is kissing but can be interpreted differently by a young kid. its also really long, so if you get bored with long movies maybe not the one for you... but still it was a great movie with a positive message and good brave role models!
Adult Written byamiellen January 28, 2010

Highly entertaining - recommend.

This is a really good movie - my kids ages 13, 15, 17 all loved it, as did my husband and I. It is a re-run of familiar plots - Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc... But the 3D version was awesome. I found some of the previous reviews interesting - they objected to the Americans being killed in the story - yet had no problem with the fact that the Americans were slaughtering the indigenous people in order to profit from their world's natural resources? It's an old story, but deplorable all the same - for most anyway.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN January 14, 2010

Movie Man on Avatar

Avatar is a great movie. It has a lot of action that will make teens want to see it. The action is actually most of the movie. One part of the action is someone puts a sword through someone else's stomach. And this is a long movie. It is two hours and forty minutes which may be to long for young viewers. If you need to go to the bathroom go before it starts because you don't want to miss a second of this movie. There are a few problems though. There is language in it. Also a couple "mates" but they don't show anything. There is also some smoking. Also the women are half dressed. Besides those problems this movie is a movie you and your children don't want to miss but this movie is only appropriate for children 12 and up for the action and how the women are dressed.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byshimmerlake January 2, 2010

good rating, breath of new imagination

Loved it! The rating is good, my grandkids are a little young for it, 8 & 7. Good values are in the movie, a very wonderful breath of imagination. All the stuff out there doesn't use imagination like this. I'd be proud to have all of the creators as a neighbor.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2009

basicly fine for any mature child no matter of age.

I absouloutly love this film. I wasnt so big on termanator, but this movie deserves a grammy for best picture. I only hated the ultmate bad guy lived so long. he was very evil. i also like this movie because most of the charectars were very nice and good. but the bad guys were way to much. the sex was mild and brief, no blood, just action, and some moderately strong language. all in all an incredible movie.