All parent member reviews for Avatar

Parent of a 2 year old Written byajviolet December 18, 2009

Saw it last night and fell in love with the detail and beauty of Pandora. I appreciated the fact that it was not predictable and cheezy. At about an hour and a half into it, I felt like it had been fifteen minutes, because I was just as intriqued by this new world as Jake was when he first arrived. This innovative new style of 3D CGI was seemless, and seems almost like it was filmed rather than generated. Amazing! The violence and romance was moderate. It was not overly bloody or overtly sexual. If your child watches most Prime time television and hears some swearing without it scarring or influencing them, they would be fine to watch this incredible movie!
Parent of a 1, 5, 9, and 11 year old Written byBig Galah December 17, 2009

Perfect action flick for teens and adults

YOu owill be blown away by Cameron's latest epic. This movie is amazing in 3D as you are emmersed in another world. This is a great movie for kids aged 12+ especially tagging along with parents so you can both enjoy the action.
Parent Written byPlague December 18, 2009

Awesome flick! Action packed with intense battle scenes, and otherworldly beasts. Dazzling effects make a simply breathtaking world. A must see for the whole family.
Adult Written byOverlyProtective December 17, 2009

Not for Sensitive Children...

For kids that can handle action it's a great film. Most kids have heard the words used in this film, but there are some words used that one wouldn't use in a house of worship.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Phenomenal Film--But Parents Be Advised.

I don't think we need to discuss further the awesomeness of Cameron's audio/visual effects throughout this movie. It's certainly in a class by itself when it comes to that. For me, the main problem is the language. Jake Sully is a Marine and surrounded by both military and non-military that use an arsenal of military jargon (profane and otherwise). Most of the language that is within sitcoms (today) I can handle. But the language of this movie is very pervasive. So if that's something you're concerned about for any reason, I suggest you make your kids wait, despite the fact that they'll be begging you to see it. Additionally, this movie has a ton of sci-fi violence and scary images (especially if watching in HD and/or with surround sound). On a positive note, the movie is chock full of great morals. A typical James Cameron film, it's anti-establishment and focuses on everything from corporate greed taking precedence over life to insinuating that those meant to protect us are human too and make mistakes.
Adult Written byMovie Man December 18, 2009

The Best Movie of the Year and Quite Possibly the Best Epic of All Time!

I loved this movie; it had action; it had emotion; it had the best effects this year by far! The acting was awesome; the direction was fantastic; the scale was epic and flawless; the battles were intense and grand; and the humor was funny! This film had it all! PARENTS: Although bloodless, this is a very intense film to watch: there are many sad deaths and destruction of homes. There's salty language and revealing but natural cloth clothing. I highly recommend this film! In fact, please go see this film right now! It will be worth it! Why am I so happy? Because I just saw Avatar, the best film since District 9 or The Dark Knight; maybe even better! Thanks very much for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 13 year old Written byfuser December 18, 2009

perfect for anyone...all u reqiure is a pair of eyes!!!

tis film is really fantastic...you cant even imagine the characters shown in tis film...i love te film alot..rate it more than titanic....a very must c film...film of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byMrs. Motorcycle Bob December 10, 2009

Parent of a 2 year old Written byakiyt December 18, 2009

Loved the flick.Must watch for dreamers and those who love adventure.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bywdhoke February 14, 2010

Good story, great graphics, mega violence

Parents just need to know that this movie has classic hollywood brutal slaughter war scenes.
Parent Written bykimcsw January 30, 2010

Safe to Watch With Parents

The plot of this movie was similar to Dances With Wolves. Instead of the American military you have corporate recruited and paid mercenary soldiers hired to be a security unit for the company's executives, scientists, and mining crew on an wild terrestrial planet. Instead of tribes of Native Americans you had tribes of 12 feet native aliens called the Navi. In both movies they want to relocate one of the tribes of natives off their tribal land because they have something they want. The comparisons go on, but it is a refreshing different spin on this otherwise familiar plot. Warning the profanity is bad. The first two hours have really no violence. The violence is basically limited to the last 30 minutes.Their is no sex, but it is implied after a couple chooses to be "sealed" as life long mates in a holy place. Great opportunity to talk to your children about the historical parallels to a regretful past part of American history.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTrojan December 18, 2009

A breakthrough

Parent Written bytobewunaskwun March 15, 2010

Just One More Kids Movie That Is Not a Kids Movie

I said this movie has "good role models," but I was really torn which way to go with that. While the main character stands up for the Na'vi, after some time spent with them, the incessant attacks on the mean old capitalists gets really long in the tooth. It was a fun movie, in an action-adventure kind of way, with lots and lots of flying, battles, shooting, etc. Also, the beauty of this 3-D world is almost breathtaking. Yet, it has several moments and words that are unfit for children, or adults, and its anti-capitalist sentiment, (from a multi-millionaire producer,) is blatant and silly. Yes, I love my freedom and would fight for it too, but the last time I checked, the American military are the good guys. BTW, it's fairly obvious that the Na'vi are Native Americans and the crazy jar-head commander of the troopers is analagous to George Custer or, at least, this is an indians versus the U.S. Cavalry metaphor of some sort. The Lord's name is taken in vain at least five times, (yes, I was counting.) The Na'vi are practically...naked. Also, there is a scene between the two main characters, Neytiri & Jake, that takes place under the "holy tree" that obviously goes beyond first base. I heard about a local church that took their young teens to see this movie without having it screened by an adult first. BIG MISTAKE!!! Don't make the same one. One more thing: why is McDonald's selling this adult movie's merchandise in its kids meals? I'm not yet sure if I'm going to buy the blu ray...probably, probably not.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byfairknowledge January 28, 2010

Go see it for Valentine's Day! A great date film for adults.

Loved it. I've already seen it 4 times and plan to go back at least once more. Parents/adults should definitely go see it before they decide if it is right to take their kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

GREAT MOVIE

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMannamedbob February 2, 2010

Amazing special effects!

I'm not going to comment slot, I'm just going to rate it. Action and Adventure: 9.5 Violence: 8 Sex-related Themes: 3 Language: 7 (No F-bombs but pretty much everything else) Drugs: 3 (smoking) If you have a rainy day, check this movie out. Not for kids under 9.
Parent Written byjuicemom January 28, 2010

a good movie, and perhaps a teaching opportunity

My children really wanted to see this movie so we went as a family. Over all I'd say it's fine for kids as young as 8 or 9. The subject can be quite bothersome for some tender hearted kids. My 9 y.o. was really bothered by the attempted relocation but he still loved the movie. It did bring up some great conversations on treating all living beings with respect.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMadison M December 19, 2009

Avatar Rocks!

"Avatar" tells the story of a crippled marine named John sent to a base on a foreign planet, his mission to gain the aliens trust. On a planet with gun reflecting predators around every corner, and only aliens to guide his way, he learns to trust his non-crippled avatar body and learn the way of the natives. Once he learns that his marine bass tends to destroy their home and race, John must chose a side to fight and maybe die for. Which will he choose? His new-called home, or a bunch of murderers? Review: LOVED IT. To be upfront, it was the best 3-D movie I've ever seen. It was pretty long, but oh man was it worth it! I Thought it was brilliant! The semi-animation they used for the planet's surroundings and the creatures was just beyond incredible. Something that really drew my attention was the fact that they didn't film the whole movie around the fact that it would be seen in 3-D, they just made what was already awesome even better. Read my review at justsayknow.net
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bymegansfloyd December 18, 2009

This movie was great for mature audiences. However, at several points, there was partial frontal nudity. Also, there was a scene in which to Na'vi have relations. It is also discussed afterward. It is very intense. Please know what your children are capable of comprehending and know what you are comfortable exposing them to before you head to the theater.
Adult Written byNVP December 18, 2009

Two eyes are not enough to watch this movie. James Cameron gone out of wildest dreams of movie making. I don't have words to describe my experience watching this movie. My chest was heavy even after 4 hours I came out of the theater, Overwhelming, experienced the unexpected. Unbelievable..., extreme creativity & imagination of movie making, gone above and beyond the standards of movie making if any existed today. James Cameron challenged the whole world if anyone can make a movie close to his standards......God bless you James and need more from you.....! --Kondal Kandregula