Parent of a 6 year old Written byfairknowledge January 28, 2010

Go see it for Valentine's Day! A great date film for adults.

Loved it. I've already seen it 4 times and plan to go back at least once more. Parents/adults should definitely go see it before they decide if it is right to take their kids.
Parent Written byjuicemom January 28, 2010

a good movie, and perhaps a teaching opportunity

My children really wanted to see this movie so we went as a family. Over all I'd say it's fine for kids as young as 8 or 9. The subject can be quite bothersome for some tender hearted kids. My 9 y.o. was really bothered by the attempted relocation but he still loved the movie. It did bring up some great conversations on treating all living beings with respect.
Adult Written byTiredofSexScenes January 25, 2010

e.g. great on the big screen in 3d

Super great to see on the big screen in 3d! Very good movie, although it could have done without the breasts/nipples and the "mating" scene etc,it just wasn't necessary, and then all ages could get to enjoy such a great show with great positive messages. It does have swearing, and violence, and sad in parts, but for a tween and up, esp if accompanied by adults (and you should go adults, its good!) it is a great movie. You can talk about it afterwards about the destruction some humans do and are capable of, and also how other humans do good things. Very well done!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycorneater January 22, 2010

No questionable behavior

This movie is pretty good. The special effects show the creativity and adventure in the story. It is a great story line of how 2 polar worlds collide and some mix well as for other don't. Watch with your family or friends.
Parent Written bybolobao January 9, 2010

Challenging with many adult themes but filled with enough thoughful (and entertaining) material to engage all auds.

Parent of a 3, 11, and 13 year old Written byB H. November 5, 2016

Amazing movie...for older kids!

This movie truly is the best! I love the sci-fi/fantasy mixture, and both my oldest daughter and I found it very interesting as the characters traveled between planets, transferred their consciousness to another life-form, and explored the truly stunning world of the Na'vi. The brightly-colored plants and animals, plus the unique culture is so fun to watch! However, small amounts of cussing, sex, and violence made it a little iffy for my 13-year-old. First of all, the Na'vi are aliens that slightly resemble human beings. The men and women's sexual parts are completely covered by loincloths, but women's breasts, nipple and all, can be seen. Most of the movie they are covered by ornate necklaces, but are visible at some points. About halfway through the movie, the two main characters have sex, or whatever you'd like to call it. It's a truly stunning scene to watch, actually. The whole idea of the Na'vi is that you are connected to the planet by the plants. The two characters are straddling each other and making out with some amount of moaning before a beautiful glowing tree, which is the heart of planet Pandora. After they are done, the female tells him that they are "mated for life". As an adult, it was beautiful, and my daughter was indifferent, but that's not such a good scene for younger kids. Human characters use pretty much all of the basic swear words, but the main issue I had with the movie was the unnecessary scene of violence at the end, when the humans are bombing the planet and shooting at the Na'vi with semi-automatic weapons and tanks, killing many of them all because they want a special mineral that grows there. My daughter burst into tears and gesticulated at the screen with a cry of "why?!" It was really upsetting to her to see the characters she had bonded with hurt and their planet destroyed. Still, though, the movie is a beautifully done, symbolic classic.
Educator Written bycajungirl81 August 10, 2016

Remember enjoying this movie

We watched Avatar in the theater and REALLY enjoyed it. What stands out the most for me are the graphics. Age is really a personal choice. When my boys were little they'd act out after watching Power Rangers so I wouldn't let them see it until they stopped. So, their behavior changed. If you're really on the fence, preview it but I think it's worth a try.
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2016

Good plot, but watch out for the special effects.

This is a good movie and is really not too scary. Moreover, women are more or less on par with men in this movie. The women actually have more interesting roles than the men. The characters may be frightening to some children under 12, however. Even if they aren't frightened, some adolescents and even some adults might find some of the special effects disturbing or disorienting, as I did.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo January 3, 2016

Exciting, award-winning, adventure.

Parents need to know that the film Avatar is extremely violent, including explosions, deaths of main characters, animals killed brutally, and shooting with both guns and bows. The main characters are often in danger and/or peril. Plus, there some disturbing imagery, including arrow wounds. There is also a certain part in the movies where it's as if it's a montage of all the secondary characters dying. There is also a good deal of frequent strong language, including,"s--t", "bulls--t", "bitch", "bastard", "goddamn", "a--", "pissed off", "damn", and "hell." As for sex, a human "mates" with an alien, there is some kissing, and a couple is shown sleeping together.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 25, 2014
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom October 4, 2013

My daughter can see this when she's 14 or 15

Robo-warfare totally over the top and takes the film in a whole other direction. Cheapens it, if you ask me. Also, if plugging your tails together and then flying around isn't evocative of human intercourse, I dunno what is. Every 8 year old knows what body parts fit together.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 3, 2013

Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic! Magnificent! 10 and up! The special effects are great! the green screening is perfect. This is a visual miracle that you won't want to miss! The greatest movie of extincttion
Adult Written bycritic sense November 5, 2012

Recommended Rating: 12+ for sci-fi/action violence, sexual references and mild language

This epic sci-fi/action film presents some battle scenes where people are shot and killed, are impaled by arrows and have explosions. However, the violence itself is quite mild and not bloody. Some scenes may be too intense for young children though, especially the big battle at the end of the movie. There are many long scenes where the aliens show casual, partial nudity. There is an implied sex scene but it's shown off-screen. There are some instances of mild language.
Parent Written byKHTWA July 30, 2012

Strong female role models in a sci-fi movie

Excellent special effects and strong female role models. Nice to have strong female roles for our daughter who particularly likes sci-fi movies.
Adult Written bycharlie2411235 July 13, 2012

Awesome!

Lots of destruction is in this movie. Along with godd--n, pu--y, b---h, h--l, a--hole, s--t, ba---rd, crap, and d--k for the swear words. Lots of constant, nonstop smoking through out.
Adult Written bynkaryb April 9, 2012

Uses the LORD's name in vain

WHY did John Cameron have to blaspheme GOD's name? Cursing GOD adds nothing to a movie, it only takes away. Please don't pay money to support this language.
Adult Written bytuhkii April 2, 2012

fantastic

It is a very wonder full movie .i loved this movie aloot and i want to watch it agan, and again..... i want to thankss the director ,produser and all those who were in tha movie to make this movie for us , we want avtar 2 very soon
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

Even better than the show!

This was a GREAT movie! It was very funny and very action packed! Awesome awesome awesome!
Adult Written bydadnmelover123 January 28, 2012

the best!!!!!!!!!!!

one kind of sex scene. lots!! of violence and lots of swearing its some brutal deaths and the navis are extremely scantley clad and one moderatley bloody scene as well as one refference to takilla. this movie is not appropriate for kids under twelve great movie and a must see!!!!!!!
Parent Written byDLucia January 16, 2012

Children viewing extreme violence

The artistic aspects of this movie are phenomenal. I was really impressed with this movie until the warring started. The violence is loud, direct, and goes on far too long. People die in fiery explosions and are thrown from flying machines. People are killed with arrows, bullets, guns, sticks and knives. To say nothing of the many animals killed violently in the melee. Those who are offended by language should reconsider the greater effects that viewing violence has on children of all ages. And to those who found the violence to be inoffensive because its effects are largely unseen, ask yourselves if it isn't worse for children to be exposed to the drama of violent conflict without seeing the results of the violence. If violence isn't shown for what it truly is, then it is okay because it's just entertainment? And what about the view of the piece of wood sticking out of Eytukan? That is so much worse than a child hearing someone saying "b---ch".