All parent member reviews for Avatar

Parent of a 11 year old Written byshrikant December 18, 2009

jyuytutu7

tut67t67tu
Adult Written bycaitlin414 December 15, 2009

Parent of a 7, 7, 11, 11, and 14 year old Written byTeachnSPE May 4, 2010

Horrible for kids-Too much cursing!!!

After seeing the PG-13 rating my husband and I were very unprepared for all the cursing within just the first 30 minutes of the movie. We had our 5 children there ages 7-11 and had too walk out out of the theater because the longer we sat there, the worse the language got. When he used the word "goddamn" that was the last straw. I could not sit and watch a movie where God is disrespected and I had to talk to my children about why we had to leave. Standing up for what you believe in sometimes cost but it's worth it to keep your integrity in tact. We walked out and took our kids to see "Furry Vengance" and "How to Train Your Dinosaur" and we had a GREAT time. All the cursing was necessary for this movie. We were very disppointed and know now the PG-13 is not what it used to be and might as well be thought of as rated R in the mind of parents so you won't waste money thinking that PG-13 ratings are ok for your children.
Adult Written byroute66 March 2, 2010

This movie is a rehash of several segments from other movies:Pocahontas,Jurassic Park,Star Wars,Star Trek,Star Trek TNG,...etc.This is an old formula movie:Big bad mining corporation wantonly abusing and destroying indigenous people.3D is 1950s technology.Been there,done that.IMAX is not a regular flat screen,but that's what was shown.Good wins versus evil mining company.So unimaginative,predictable,unoriginal.This was a giant ripoff.Any other sci-fi movie is better than this old garbage.If you are a kid you will be dazzled by all the technology.The plot is SOO trite.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi February 25, 2010

Don't wait for the video, this movie MUST be seen in the theatre!

There's a powerful message about appreciating and preserving nature which is very good, but mainly you have to see this movie for the visuals. They are absolutely stunning! The creatures and the landscapes are so beautiful and creative. This movie should be seen in the theatre to really get the most from the gorgeous graphics.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written bycamris February 13, 2010

I just LOVED this movie!! I left the theater in a complete state of awe!!! As a Christian, the language was a little rough, and completely unnecessary, but nothing we all don't hear every day in this world we live in. I went expecting to see "body parts", etc. through the costumes (as warned).....but found nothing distasteful or lude. As far as the story goes, it was PHENOMENAL and I can't wait to see it again!!!!
Parent Written byCoolHomeschoolMama February 4, 2010

A must see for tweens & older...

I thought this was definately the best movie I have ever seen!! The storyline was interesting, the graphics were beautiful, and the emotional range was intense. With that in mind, I think younger children would enjoy the movie (altho the fight scene could be upsetting), my concern is more that the story would probably be too complicated for younger kids to follow...and parts of the story (ie: when the humans try to destroy Pandora) could be extremely upsetting for younger kids (as it was upsetting to adults). This is one of those movies that I think it depends on each individual child and how well they can handle emotional scenes, etc.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCanadianJen February 1, 2010

I took my 12 year old to this - and we discussed together beforehand some of the objections or buzz about it. Yes, consumerism (money over consideration for right/wrong) racism (the dirty savages are just in the way) and war thinking (phrases like "shock and awe" and "terror" are used) can and should be talked about these days. All that being understood, it was then a beautiful and fascinating adventure story, with neat flora and fauna in 3D - but I am glad my son is ready to read into and judge some of the messaging himself. I was not trying to tell him what to think, just making him aware that there are real-world discussions around religion, politics, history etc. brought up. One funny thing - Americans have felt it is exactly showing whites invading and slaughtering natives on this continent - but did you know China is worried about its message relating to THAT empire's relocation (and sometimes killing) of minorities from valuable lands, there? The story is a universal one.
Adult Written bykeanve December 30, 2009

This a beautiful movie, and while not completely original in plot (several times during the movie we commented on scenes as compared to other well known movies), it was an enjoyable film. There is a fair amount of tension and violence, comparable to the mainstream cartoon movies this year (Transformers, etc.), but more adult language.
Adult Written byPandorasbox13 December 23, 2009

Avatar: The True IMAX Experience and a Great Film

This magnificent film uses special effects, CGI, motion capture, and 3D filming to the highest degree to create a captivating film worthy of the greatest praise from critics and normals viewers alike. In short, this movie takes place in 2154 on a moon called Pandora in the Alpha Centauri Star System. A group of humans mine the planet for a substance known as 'unobtanium,' which will supply Earth with near infinite energy. The problem is, a group of humanoid creatures known as Navi live on the planet and will not move from the large resource areas of unobtainum. So, now our main character Jake Sully, a crippled Marine who lost his legs in combat, must come and impersonate the Navi in a special program called Avatar to negotiate terms with the Navi so they will leave their sacred grounds. In this program, a person's DNA is copied to create an avatar of a Navi which they can control telepathically (or that seems to be how it works.) And so the film begins. The rest of the terrific story comes through in a creative blockbuster piece with a strong anti-military and anti-technology message. This movie has some flaws and loopholes, but the movie soaks in Christian and Native American/pre-Imperialism African metaphors and allusions which only improve the piece. Though the film contradicts itself (it cost around $300 million to make with the most advanced technology in the film industry and the best parts are the fights but it is about the evils of technology and the military,) the movie is too great to pass up. The racist, cuss-loaded, ultra-violent, sexist, commercialized, and crude elements of Transformers 2 are thankfully nowhere to be found in this film. As for children, no one under 11 should go considering the gratuitous amount of violence, some cursing, and some of the Navi women (especially the main female) have easily shown nipples throughout the film. (James Cameron, the only man to get away with nipple shots and a PG-13 rating.) But, this film also has good role models and great themes which make it worthwhile to teenagers and adults alike. From all the films I've seen which have come out this year, Avatar gets second place only to Watchmen. So, go to IMAX and watch it ASAP.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bySmitty000 December 19, 2009

no smoking

Smoking is a no no in movies
Adult Written bybgcola December 19, 2009

a very well-made movie. The violence, esp. the first violent scene, was too much for a 9 yr old girl in the audience, and had to leave. However, the other five boys (ages 11-13) thoroughly enjoyed it. I, as an adult, found the final scenes very violent, but in a strange way, all for the good of the cause. The positive message of "don't take what's not yours" gets through to the kids, I think. Loved the story, movie, cinematography, etc... A classic.
Adult Written byexgamerdotnet December 19, 2009

Fantastic film. I agree with CSM's review and issues for kids. The main standout is the profanity, but everything else - including sexuality - is toned down to the point of being barely noticeable. This is ironic given the scantily clad Na'vi are everywhere in Avatar.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byNana Sue December 19, 2009

Fine for older kids, but tweens and below should have parents with them to talk about it.

Violent scenes are too strong for tweens and below. graphics and the story line is excellent. But the character Grace smokes several times, making it seen as if she can't live without it. Sexual content is kept to reality of love, with no real sex acts committed.
Parent Written bydreamcatcher14 June 14, 2013

Good movie other than the language

Overall, I liked this movie. The only problem I had with it was the language. I counted 4 "b***tch" (and that includes SOB). It's too bad that the writers of these movies fail to realize that the language is unnecessary. I'm not sure what their thinking is. People would have come to see it without the derogatory language. If you are trying to raise respectful kids and don't want them to use this kind of language, it becomes a problem.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byJLP1947 September 1, 2010

AVATAR--DANCES WITH WOLVES ON PANDORA

I would not like to explain some of the language to a 12 year old. I have been hit on the head enough with the scenario of the mean industrialized "white nations" exploiting the environmentally sensitive peoples of other cultures. Hope the Director who feels thIS way dumps 2 or 3 tons of the money he makes on this into a fine charity. I am not concerned with the cartoon violence and nudity. The special effects makeS this good family entertainment.
Adult Written byFroHead May 9, 2010

The movie entertains... but only by taking from other films

It was OK, but I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. The plot was extremely predictable, probably because it borrowed from many other movies. Also, the Na'vi looked almost like a cartoon. Granted, they where a different species so who knows what they would look like, but it seemed out of place with the human actors. To me, the message was iffy, and it was full of stereotypes. One quote, from the stereotypical military leader bad guy, kind of made me think about the message. He said to Jake "How does it feel to betray your own race". Although that wasn't totally the case for, it made me think. The movie also is obviously politically driven, and I would almost go as far as to say it is unabashed leftist tree hugger and anti-capitalist propaganda.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybenito jug May 2, 2010

love it
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySingerLLK4J May 1, 2010

Awesome earth loving movie you need to see!

My 14 yr old daughter and I watched this awesome movie together and both agreed the CGI was wonderful and the overall message of world peace and connection to nature was an important one for people to think about. However, I was a bit upset with the use of GD several times in a PG13 rated movie. My child says the B word and S word are pretty common to hear, even on TV now a days, which also upsets me some, but overall, this was a great movie with several positive messages. LOVED it!
Adult Written bymontanamommy April 3, 2010

Saw this movie in 3-D with a couple of tweens, and though we found the movie to be a thrilling depiction of a beautiful other-world, the extreme brutality at the end put a damper on our experience. Cameron's Pandora is an incredible cinematic creation, and the 3-D effects put us IN the landscape in a much more visceral way than a traditional 2-D movie, though the story is rather two dimensional. Loved the clash of Corporate and Environmental interests -- found that to be a powerful message. Love story was tender but tame. Definitely worth seeing in 3-D, but I think it would be too brutal for kids under 12.