Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons November 10, 2011

Take your kids, talk before

This is Dances with Wolves in Sci Fi, perhaps one of the most creative 'effects' films ever made. Cameron crafted an entire eco-system (hundreds of species, with common genetic links). It will go down as one of the finest science fiction films of the decade (perhaps like Jurassic Park). There is some mild swearing, but even my 6 year old knows those never get used by children. The 'native' bodies are partially clad, but nothing is made of that - in fact the effect would be to normalize bodies rather than have them be objects of titillation - a very good thing. There are two early scenes with native animals that are immensely scary, and some military style violence that had an emotional effect on my son. On the other hand, violence comes out very badly (as does the military, as do corporations). While there is plenty of violence, violence is not revered (as perhaps in Rambo style movies or GI Joe or the like), but rather to be deplored. However the imagery is intense - and certain under 8 year olds might be disturbed.
Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 8, 2011

Avatar: Amazing visuals, unbelievably clichéd.

Avatar is an OK film with great special effects. I went to see it, mainly because of all the Oscar buzz it was getting. It was... nice, I guess. It has a completely unoriginal and clichéd storyline, but the visuals were good. Language and a little sex implied, but kids will thoroughly love it.
Adult Written byD-Fresh June 16, 2011

Overtly left-wing, great visuals and special effects

This movie is very left-wing, eco-focused, and anti-American. If you can get past that, the visuals are incredible and special effects are also very well done. Can't belive you gave it 4 out of 5 stars though... let's try not to be so overtly PC
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla March 30, 2011
Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 22, 2011

Avatar Not A Movie For Teens Or Kids Alike!!!

This Movie Is Awesome When I Went To Go See It I Saw That Jame's Cameron's Work Has Been Done! And It's A Cool Movie Especially For Kids And I Am Betting That This Movie Is Great To Watch And Positive Messages Are To Take Care Of Your Planet And Not Let Extinction Come To It! This Movie Has Some Violence But It's Not Over The Top But Some Scenes Are Intense And Scary Like The Part Where Pandora Is Under Attack By Human Soldiers Ready To Kill Animals And Creatures Alike And There Is Plenty Of Blood Splattiring As Animal's Die In A Violent Way There Is Also A Part Where Humans Kill Soldiers In A Brutal Violent Way And Plenty Of Them Callapsing And Dying And There Is A Scene In Which Jake Sully Fights A Guy In A Machine He Attacks Him And Inside The Machine Blood Can Be Seen Spurting Out And It Is Shown That The Man Dies Because He Was Attacked And Haunted By Strange People And Jake Sullly Is Alright! And Some Langauge is Not okey for Kids Such As S--- A--- H--- Oh my g--- And Other Obsenites! And This Movie Has Adult Themes For Both The Child And The Teen And If You Are Older And Don't Understand How The Soldiers Threaten Pandora Then Don't Watch This Movie! 18+
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants February 14, 2011

violent but outstanding movie

Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bymichugalug February 13, 2011

Not for pre-teens

Way too violent for pre-teens and too much breast/nipple shots. Lots of bad language and American soldiers are portrayed as being ready to kill anyone that gets in their way, even children. Too mature for young teens as well.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bystreborkb January 27, 2011

May be too intense for VERY young kids (elementary and pre-school)

My teen and 'tween are mature and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. They stayed 'engaged' the entire time. However, I do agree with Common Sense that it may be intense at times for very young kids. However, most middle school children today are accustomed to more fast-paced action and should be fine. As an adult, I thought it was a VERY good film and would be willing to watch WITH (note the supervision) most, if not all, kids age 9+.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byAxis360 January 19, 2011

Right and wrong and a connection we have to make to protect what we have

Great visual effects and wonderful fairy like magical land. There is a fight for what is right and wrong. The connection of the land and the people is right on. We are the invaders and also the explorers trying to make that connection. Talk to your kids about the rights we have and how we have to protect our own world! I like it my kids love it. They are 5 & 6
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Good movie, not for young ones.

There's an alien sex scene, which is not so bad, but can be awkward for teens to watch with parents. Overall a good movie, though a bit violent for preteens. Good messages.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byNCTPD January 7, 2011

Okay for some 7/8 year olds

I have a 6 and 8 year old boys. They actually liked the movie. If your kids have seen the Star Wars movies or The Clone Wars episodes, it's not that different in terms of warfare and violence. There is a little more intensity, but I'm not sure they get that at this age. The one sexual scene was really iffy and I asked my husband to fast forward through that.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byCAVA January 1, 2011
As with many things in life, this movie is something best shared with your kids. The movie deals with a lot of heavy topics, yet also includes beautiful scenes and a strong pro-nature/inclusion message. It offers a way of viewing nature and our relationship with nature and with others. Avatar's characters struggle with morality, differences, friendship, love and participatine inviolence towards others. So enjoy the movie and all the magic that it creates, and use it an an opportunity to explore some of these real life subjects with your kids/family.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjanaleen December 27, 2010
Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

e.g. Perfect for teens not for children

love this movie great special effects and soundtrack the pros the action music storyline casting special effects cons constant curse words good people and their land getting destroyed for no reason a small mature scene
Adult Written byasmartperson December 8, 2010
I liked this movie, it took me a long time to sit down and watch it because I thought that I would not like it, but it is good. There could be less language, and thee battle scenes are rather violent, but this is a action movie so there are going to be violent scenes. The only thing that really botherd me was the lanugage. Some say that there is a "sex" scene but all they do is embrace and kiss. It is "mating" in the avatar way however. It is a good movie, I would recomened it, it also has good music.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

One of my all time favorites!

I love this movie. It's breathtaking. And, I know, from a sarcastic point of view it's just "Dances with Tall, Blue Aliens," but I still loved it. I couldn't believe how mad people were over how unoriginal the story was. Sure the story wasn't that original, but so what? I love an original story as much as the next person, who doesn't? But I still found this to be amazing, deep, and mind-blowing! Not only are the effects spectacular, but the cast is top-notch! Everyone acts really well, and the action and (unoriginal) story are compelling! I believe people were too sensitive about the story. I mean, what did you expect, another District 9? Although, if you didn't find District 9 original, then you can compare it to another movie you think is original. But, to those who think District 9 isn't original, please tell me why?! Anyway, despite unoriginality (although I loved the planet (moon) and creatures; those i thought were original), I still love this movie. Parents: There's lots of intense and violent battles, plus sensuality, partial nudity, and salty language. Bottom Line: A gorgeous and truly awesome specatacle that shouldn't be missed, despite some other reviews! You be the judge! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written bytdog99 September 29, 2010

The women aren't covered in clothing and the smoking

great movie, but the women are effectively naked. tons of skin for a kids movie. also, the smoking is obviously not good.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byParentwholovesmovies September 20, 2010

Breath Taking film may be too long for young ones.

I took my kids to see this movie in 3D and they absolutely loved it! we were all on the edge of our seats and thought pandora looked amazing! at first we were confused because there was a show on nickelodeon called Avatar: The last air bender but it was just a coincidence with the name. My only concerns is the language and violence. there isn't really any sexual content at all except for a couple people kissing and the Na'vi are barely dressed. I think this movie would be ok for kids 8 and up, iffy for kids ages 6-7 and off for ages 5 and under
Parent of a 5, 9, and 11 year old Written bykbttexas@yahoo.com September 18, 2010

OK for teenagers, but not younger ones - way too much language

With the military setting, there is quite a bit of offensive language. My husband watched it with our girls without me present. They loved the movie but warned me the next day not to listen to the bad words. Had I seen it first, my kids would not ever have seen it. But if you could watch the movie on mute, the cinematography, beauty, and effects are some of the best I've ever seen. So, even though this movie was a big oops, in regard to language, it was quite an amazing movie. I would recommend you watch it first and decide for yourself if it's ok for kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byJLP1947 September 1, 2010

AVATAR--DANCES WITH WOLVES ON PANDORA

I would not like to explain some of the language to a 12 year old. I have been hit on the head enough with the scenario of the mean industrialized "white nations" exploiting the environmentally sensitive peoples of other cultures. Hope the Director who feels thIS way dumps 2 or 3 tons of the money he makes on this into a fine charity. I am not concerned with the cartoon violence and nudity. The special effects makeS this good family entertainment.