All parent member reviews for Avatar

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bystreborkb January 27, 2011

May be too intense for VERY young kids (elementary and pre-school)

My teen and 'tween are mature and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. They stayed 'engaged' the entire time. However, I do agree with Common Sense that it may be intense at times for very young kids. However, most middle school children today are accustomed to more fast-paced action and should be fine. As an adult, I thought it was a VERY good film and would be willing to watch WITH (note the supervision) most, if not all, kids age 9+.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byAxis360 January 19, 2011

Right and wrong and a connection we have to make to protect what we have

Great visual effects and wonderful fairy like magical land. There is a fight for what is right and wrong. The connection of the land and the people is right on. We are the invaders and also the explorers trying to make that connection. Talk to your kids about the rights we have and how we have to protect our own world! I like it my kids love it. They are 5 & 6
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Good movie, not for young ones.

There's an alien sex scene, which is not so bad, but can be awkward for teens to watch with parents. Overall a good movie, though a bit violent for preteens. Good messages.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byNCTPD January 7, 2011

Okay for some 7/8 year olds

I have a 6 and 8 year old boys. They actually liked the movie. If your kids have seen the Star Wars movies or The Clone Wars episodes, it's not that different in terms of warfare and violence. There is a little more intensity, but I'm not sure they get that at this age. The one sexual scene was really iffy and I asked my husband to fast forward through that.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byCAVA January 1, 2011

As with many things in life, this movie is something best shared with your kids. The movie deals with a lot of heavy topics, yet also includes beautiful scenes and a strong pro-nature/inclusion message. It offers a way of viewing nature and our relationship with nature and with others. Avatar's characters struggle with morality, differences, friendship, love and participatine inviolence towards others. So enjoy the movie and all the magic that it creates, and use it an an opportunity to explore some of these real life subjects with your kids/family.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjanaleen December 27, 2010

Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

e.g. Perfect for teens not for children

love this movie great special effects and soundtrack the pros the action music storyline casting special effects cons constant curse words good people and their land getting destroyed for no reason a small mature scene
Adult Written byasmartperson December 8, 2010

I liked this movie, it took me a long time to sit down and watch it because I thought that I would not like it, but it is good. There could be less language, and thee battle scenes are rather violent, but this is a action movie so there are going to be violent scenes. The only thing that really botherd me was the lanugage. Some say that there is a "sex" scene but all they do is embrace and kiss. It is "mating" in the avatar way however. It is a good movie, I would recomened it, it also has good music.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

One of my all time favorites!

I love this movie. It's breathtaking. And, I know, from a sarcastic point of view it's just "Dances with Tall, Blue Aliens," but I still loved it. I couldn't believe how mad people were over how unoriginal the story was. Sure the story wasn't that original, but so what? I love an original story as much as the next person, who doesn't? But I still found this to be amazing, deep, and mind-blowing! Not only are the effects spectacular, but the cast is top-notch! Everyone acts really well, and the action and (unoriginal) story are compelling! I believe people were too sensitive about the story. I mean, what did you expect, another District 9? Although, if you didn't find District 9 original, then you can compare it to another movie you think is original. But, to those who think District 9 isn't original, please tell me why?! Anyway, despite unoriginality (although I loved the planet (moon) and creatures; those i thought were original), I still love this movie. Parents: There's lots of intense and violent battles, plus sensuality, partial nudity, and salty language. Bottom Line: A gorgeous and truly awesome specatacle that shouldn't be missed, despite some other reviews! You be the judge! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written bytdog99 September 29, 2010

The women aren't covered in clothing and the smoking

great movie, but the women are effectively naked. tons of skin for a kids movie. also, the smoking is obviously not good.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byParentwholovesmovies September 20, 2010

Breath Taking film may be too long for young ones.

I took my kids to see this movie in 3D and they absolutely loved it! we were all on the edge of our seats and thought pandora looked amazing! at first we were confused because there was a show on nickelodeon called Avatar: The last air bender but it was just a coincidence with the name. My only concerns is the language and violence. there isn't really any sexual content at all except for a couple people kissing and the Na'vi are barely dressed. I think this movie would be ok for kids 8 and up, iffy for kids ages 6-7 and off for ages 5 and under
Parent of a 5, 9, and 11 year old Written bykbttexas@yahoo.com September 18, 2010

OK for teenagers, but not younger ones - way too much language

With the military setting, there is quite a bit of offensive language. My husband watched it with our girls without me present. They loved the movie but warned me the next day not to listen to the bad words. Had I seen it first, my kids would not ever have seen it. But if you could watch the movie on mute, the cinematography, beauty, and effects are some of the best I've ever seen. So, even though this movie was a big oops, in regard to language, it was quite an amazing movie. I would recommend you watch it first and decide for yourself if it's ok for kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byJLP1947 September 1, 2010

AVATAR--DANCES WITH WOLVES ON PANDORA

I would not like to explain some of the language to a 12 year old. I have been hit on the head enough with the scenario of the mean industrialized "white nations" exploiting the environmentally sensitive peoples of other cultures. Hope the Director who feels thIS way dumps 2 or 3 tons of the money he makes on this into a fine charity. I am not concerned with the cartoon violence and nudity. The special effects makeS this good family entertainment.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybuild99940 August 18, 2010

Adult Written byangrypanda90 August 14, 2010

Pocahontas.....in blue and HD

Basically this movie is what you get when you play Pocahontas on a tv that has a very strong blue hue to it.lol still a good movie though.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

GREAT MOVIE

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Phenomenal Film--But Parents Be Advised.

I don't think we need to discuss further the awesomeness of Cameron's audio/visual effects throughout this movie. It's certainly in a class by itself when it comes to that. For me, the main problem is the language. Jake Sully is a Marine and surrounded by both military and non-military that use an arsenal of military jargon (profane and otherwise). Most of the language that is within sitcoms (today) I can handle. But the language of this movie is very pervasive. So if that's something you're concerned about for any reason, I suggest you make your kids wait, despite the fact that they'll be begging you to see it. Additionally, this movie has a ton of sci-fi violence and scary images (especially if watching in HD and/or with surround sound). On a positive note, the movie is chock full of great morals. A typical James Cameron film, it's anti-establishment and focuses on everything from corporate greed taking precedence over life to insinuating that those meant to protect us are human too and make mistakes.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTW2 August 3, 2010

Important message for kids and adults at this difficult time

Loved it...the message surprised me and pleasantly. I think it points out important side effects of the actions of our current world powers and hopefully will give some food for thought and hopefully a new appreciation for cultures different from ours. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where we cared about something other than ourselves?
Adult Written bydudeman123 July 19, 2010

A Beautiful Film

Yes the plot is very similar to many other previous films but Avatar stands alone when it comes to the special effects and just the pure beauty of Pandora. It is for sure nothing like you have ever seen before and, really the only movie that needed to be in 3d or the only movie worth the money to see it in 3d. Just the breathtaking effects is enough for my approval. Plus the plot is not too shabby eigther it's a great story of a man standing for whats right. An epic film!
Adult Written bynorma48 July 10, 2010

What is the Message?

I saw it as a repeat of the white man coming to the new world and violently taking the land away from the Native Americans. Only this time the Natives win and are not placed on reservations! I reject the idea that it is a portrayal of what America is doing in the Middle East. Many Middle Easterners support terrorism and the Na'vi do not.