All parent member reviews for Avatar

Parent of a 7, 13, and 14 year old Written byfive5ofhearts5 February 21, 2010

It's about time!

I'm very picky about what my children see and often don't even let them see PG movies. I made an exception for this (for my 13 yo and 14 yo) because it's just so good! There is some violence and cussing, but it's overshadowed by the excellent story, characters, and graphics. It has been a long time since I've seen a movie I want to share with everyone!
Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byOmni January 30, 2010

Amazing movie, but language not good for young kids

This movie is amazing, but many of the reviews on this site greatly down played the language. There were curse words that were NOT appropriate for younger children. It is unfortunate that these words had to be used, but overall, the movie is remarkable.
Parent of an infant, 4, and 5 year old Written bycycleboymoss January 3, 2010

A predictably story that's still fun with a serious side.

This is a very good movie, I quite enjoyed it. I agree that under 13's should not go - there's a lot of violence and some sexually themed content that would be a bit much for younger children. There are no real surprises plot-wise in the move; you can figure out almost the whole story from the trailer and every major plot point is telegraphed by a mile. For all that, it is visually stunning and I did enjoy seeing it. It is long, but not unduly so and I didn't feel like it was overindulgent or in need of some prudent editing. The review notes a parallel between current events and what's happening in the Middle East, but I think it's more intended to be an allegory to the historical treatment of American Indians and indigenous peoples around the world by explorers who "discover" their lands and force them off. I couldn't help being a bit saddened by what I saw and reminded of how shameful our own history is in this regard, but there could be value in it for discussing with older children to give them insight into history. All in all a good story well told and worth the trip. 3D didn't contribute anything special to my experience, however, and I wouldn't recommend paying extra for it.
Parent Written byInAnyEvent January 1, 2010

We loved it, however my daughters didn't like (covered their eyes during) the more violent battle scenes. Language was a bit rough, but we discussed the overall theme of the movie and thought it was quite good. Both my daughters have native-American heritage and were able to relate to the message.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bymoviewatcher01 December 31, 2009

Too much bad language that the movie could have been fine without. Don't take little ones!! 3d effects were fine but would have been more comfortable to watch in high def instead. Glasses rubbed against head for almost 3 hours. Overall story line was not that great either.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byJGTarrant December 23, 2009

Environmentalist propaganda thinly disguised as hi-tech sci-fi

After all the hype, I was a little disappointed in the film. It was essentially a high-tech knock off on the animated film "Fern Gully" where the "enlightened" environmentally sensitive protagonists battle the heartless military/industrial villains. Younger kids will miss the connection, but teens and adults won't.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byslseed December 22, 2009

Superb adventure with great messages through out. A visual experience never before seen in the movies. It might be a little too real and violent for children under 8.
Adult Written byfaithmom December 20, 2009

My husband and I saw it and thought it was fantastic. The special effects were the most realistic we've seen to date and the story line was terrific, too. However, we were disappointed that it is being targeted towards kids, although we can see why they'd want to watch it. There was a lot of bad language throughout, including multiple god***n's. The aliens showed their backsides almost completely, and the barely covered female breasts were exactly like humans except in color (blue). A few times when they leaned forward you could see their nipples, which we felt was totally unnecessary for the film. Aliens or not, nudity should not be in films aimed at children. Just my two cents. Again, great movie and one we'd see again. We just won't be taking our 12-year-old or 8-year-old.
Parent Written byindianhillsted December 20, 2009

Kids might not like it

I will take my 11 yr old, but my 7 yr old who also wants to go will stay at home. It is just too sad of a tale. This may also be a boys/girls thing, but I have a feeling my youngest would not get it. The subtitles, the "why are they fighting", the science...I would be explaining the whole things to her. The 3d is incredible. The story good, if not completely predictable. My kids haven't seen many old westerns or "Dances with Wolves" so it might not be familiar to them. It does transport you to Pandora for 2.5 hours! It is a great spectacle. I can't wait to take my 11 yr old.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 3, 2013

Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic! Magnificent! 10 and up! The special effects are great! the green screening is perfect. This is a visual miracle that you won't want to miss! The greatest movie of extincttion
Adult Written bycritic sense November 5, 2012

Recommended Rating: 12+ for sci-fi/action violence, sexual references and mild language

This epic sci-fi/action film presents some battle scenes where people are shot and killed, are impaled by arrows and have explosions. However, the violence itself is quite mild and not bloody. Some scenes may be too intense for young children though, especially the big battle at the end of the movie. There are many long scenes where the aliens show casual, partial nudity. There is an implied sex scene but it's shown off-screen. There are some instances of mild language.
Adult Written bytuhkii April 2, 2012

fantastic

It is a very wonder full movie .i loved this movie aloot and i want to watch it agan, and again..... i want to thankss the director ,produser and all those who were in tha movie to make this movie for us , we want avtar 2 very soon
Adult Written byD-Fresh June 16, 2011

Overtly left-wing, great visuals and special effects

This movie is very left-wing, eco-focused, and anti-American. If you can get past that, the visuals are incredible and special effects are also very well done. Can't belive you gave it 4 out of 5 stars though... let's try not to be so overtly PC
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byParentwholovesmovies September 20, 2010

Breath Taking film may be too long for young ones.

I took my kids to see this movie in 3D and they absolutely loved it! we were all on the edge of our seats and thought pandora looked amazing! at first we were confused because there was a show on nickelodeon called Avatar: The last air bender but it was just a coincidence with the name. My only concerns is the language and violence. there isn't really any sexual content at all except for a couple people kissing and the Na'vi are barely dressed. I think this movie would be ok for kids 8 and up, iffy for kids ages 6-7 and off for ages 5 and under
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTW2 August 3, 2010

Important message for kids and adults at this difficult time

Loved it...the message surprised me and pleasantly. I think it points out important side effects of the actions of our current world powers and hopefully will give some food for thought and hopefully a new appreciation for cultures different from ours. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where we cared about something other than ourselves?
Parent of a 15 year old Written bytrspa June 14, 2010

Watch to satisfy curiosity, not entertaining, plot very predictable, special effects fantastic

Type of profanity very inappropriate for all ages. Very disappointed, otherwise could have been a great movie. Underlying theme has deep political overtones fitting the "Green" agenda. Although, not surprised from Cameron and others.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLANP2010 May 27, 2010

I thought the plot was excellent and deep. The effects were beautiful and amazing. I recommend this highly for mid-teens and up! However, it seemed to have graphic, not just implied violence. There were scary creatures/characters, main character smoking and lots of military images. Added in was the use of foul language and I will have to refrain from letting our younger boys see this one.
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Good, but too long, negative against the military

This movie is good enough to see once and has great visual effects but I don't think I could sit through it twice. It was way too long. The language is not as bad as it could be. The sexual content is mild. The girl says "we mate for life", but I don't think my kids noticed that they did more than kissing. The violence is not good and it is unusual to see "military types" trying to take down people to exploit their natural resources. I thought that made the military look bad and it was not a message I want my children to see in a movie.
Adult Written bytennis player May 20, 2010

visual masterpiece

Avatar is a beautiful movie with very good special effects and great acting. However, behind amazing effects, the story has a really simple context. There is a feeling that you have already seen it somewhere. Cameron, the director of the movie, used the "war" story. Acting was very professional. Actors showed great emotions, even when they played aliens and not people. Overall, the movie is a visual masterpiece, and has the credits for watching it.
Adult Written byDaisy97 May 8, 2010

Pretty Good

This movies pretty good but can be confusing at parts. the only major problem is language which is a little bad, but nothing a teenager can't handle.