All parent member reviews for Avatar

Adult Written bygabbygirlcuccaro July 1, 2010

perfect for teens and middle aged people

It was good,but very long.They could have shortened the movie by at least 30mins,but i would definitely recommend it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymmkcfam June 27, 2010

Adult movie. PERIOD!

The first 5 minutes of this movie sets an obvious tone, and any parent in their right mind would know that it is NOT a movie for children. It should not be seen by anyone younger than 14, and in most cases, 17 years of age. The content and complexity are way over kids' heads...this is not a cartoon, and should not be treated as such.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byyoooooooooooooo... June 23, 2010

yo

love it
Adult Written byMidnightCresent June 22, 2010

One of the best movies I've ever seen!

This movie is amazing, I watched it at least 6 times! It takes a while to understand it, but I mostly got it now. Of course there are things you may not want your kids to see like- Jake and Neytiri 'mate' but it doesnt exactly show it. They have some bad words, violence, and some characters die (some grusumly) Otherwise, it shows good things, like how connected the Na'vi are to the forest. I think human beings should share that connection that the Na'vi have. Like they care about eachother and the world around them. Human beings don't.. at least not all of them. Nor to all humans care what happens to another. Some even incourage death and murder.. which makes me feel sshamed to be part of the same race..
Parent of a 15 year old Written bytrspa June 14, 2010

Watch to satisfy curiosity, not entertaining, plot very predictable, special effects fantastic

Type of profanity very inappropriate for all ages. Very disappointed, otherwise could have been a great movie. Underlying theme has deep political overtones fitting the "Green" agenda. Although, not surprised from Cameron and others.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010

Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

Good messages and great effects!!

The moral of the story - take care of the earth and don't destroy nature! All that and beautiful graphics too! You can't lose!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLANP2010 May 27, 2010

I thought the plot was excellent and deep. The effects were beautiful and amazing. I recommend this highly for mid-teens and up! However, it seemed to have graphic, not just implied violence. There were scary creatures/characters, main character smoking and lots of military images. Added in was the use of foul language and I will have to refrain from letting our younger boys see this one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written by1401chest May 26, 2010

Violent but just a few fights every now and then some scary dogs in a scene GREAT MOVIE I'm nine and my parents just covered my eyes the firs time i saw it and i watched it two times now second time it was my choice -great movie-
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Good, but too long, negative against the military

This movie is good enough to see once and has great visual effects but I don't think I could sit through it twice. It was way too long. The language is not as bad as it could be. The sexual content is mild. The girl says "we mate for life", but I don't think my kids noticed that they did more than kissing. The violence is not good and it is unusual to see "military types" trying to take down people to exploit their natural resources. I thought that made the military look bad and it was not a message I want my children to see in a movie.
Adult Written bytennis player May 20, 2010

visual masterpiece

Avatar is a beautiful movie with very good special effects and great acting. However, behind amazing effects, the story has a really simple context. There is a feeling that you have already seen it somewhere. Cameron, the director of the movie, used the "war" story. Acting was very professional. Actors showed great emotions, even when they played aliens and not people. Overall, the movie is a visual masterpiece, and has the credits for watching it.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 17, 2010

Great stuff

That was a fantastic film and is great for everyone in the family.
Adult Written by4Spice May 12, 2010

good movie GROSSED ABOUT 2/1 BILLION WORLD WIDE

GOOD MOVIE ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF DECADE MILD VIOLENCE MILD LANGUAGE DONT WORRY ABOUT SEX
Adult Written byFroHead May 9, 2010

The movie entertains... but only by taking from other films

It was OK, but I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. The plot was extremely predictable, probably because it borrowed from many other movies. Also, the Na'vi looked almost like a cartoon. Granted, they where a different species so who knows what they would look like, but it seemed out of place with the human actors. To me, the message was iffy, and it was full of stereotypes. One quote, from the stereotypical military leader bad guy, kind of made me think about the message. He said to Jake "How does it feel to betray your own race". Although that wasn't totally the case for, it made me think. The movie also is obviously politically driven, and I would almost go as far as to say it is unabashed leftist tree hugger and anti-capitalist propaganda.
Parent of a 7 and 17 year old Written bydecadebabies May 9, 2010

Language is the only issue I had with this movie. We discussed why you don't use those words before watching. The message was worth the discussion on bad language.
Adult Written byDaisy97 May 8, 2010

Pretty Good

This movies pretty good but can be confusing at parts. the only major problem is language which is a little bad, but nothing a teenager can't handle.
Parent of a 7, 7, 11, 11, and 14 year old Written byTeachnSPE May 4, 2010

Horrible for kids-Too much cursing!!!

After seeing the PG-13 rating my husband and I were very unprepared for all the cursing within just the first 30 minutes of the movie. We had our 5 children there ages 7-11 and had too walk out out of the theater because the longer we sat there, the worse the language got. When he used the word "goddamn" that was the last straw. I could not sit and watch a movie where God is disrespected and I had to talk to my children about why we had to leave. Standing up for what you believe in sometimes cost but it's worth it to keep your integrity in tact. We walked out and took our kids to see "Furry Vengance" and "How to Train Your Dinosaur" and we had a GREAT time. All the cursing was necessary for this movie. We were very disppointed and know now the PG-13 is not what it used to be and might as well be thought of as rated R in the mind of parents so you won't waste money thinking that PG-13 ratings are ok for your children.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybenito jug May 2, 2010

love it
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySingerLLK4J May 1, 2010

Awesome earth loving movie you need to see!

My 14 yr old daughter and I watched this awesome movie together and both agreed the CGI was wonderful and the overall message of world peace and connection to nature was an important one for people to think about. However, I was a bit upset with the use of GD several times in a PG13 rated movie. My child says the B word and S word are pretty common to hear, even on TV now a days, which also upsets me some, but overall, this was a great movie with several positive messages. LOVED it!
Parent of a 5 and 17 year old Written byNoodle2602 April 30, 2010