Parent of a 6 year old Written byJLP1947 September 1, 2010

AVATAR--DANCES WITH WOLVES ON PANDORA

I would not like to explain some of the language to a 12 year old. I have been hit on the head enough with the scenario of the mean industrialized "white nations" exploiting the environmentally sensitive peoples of other cultures. Hope the Director who feels thIS way dumps 2 or 3 tons of the money he makes on this into a fine charity. I am not concerned with the cartoon violence and nudity. The special effects makeS this good family entertainment.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybuild99940 August 18, 2010
Adult Written byangrypanda90 August 14, 2010

Pocahontas.....in blue and HD

Basically this movie is what you get when you play Pocahontas on a tv that has a very strong blue hue to it.lol still a good movie though.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

GREAT MOVIE

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

Phenomenal Film--But Parents Be Advised.

I don't think we need to discuss further the awesomeness of Cameron's audio/visual effects throughout this movie. It's certainly in a class by itself when it comes to that. For me, the main problem is the language. Jake Sully is a Marine and surrounded by both military and non-military that use an arsenal of military jargon (profane and otherwise). Most of the language that is within sitcoms (today) I can handle. But the language of this movie is very pervasive. So if that's something you're concerned about for any reason, I suggest you make your kids wait, despite the fact that they'll be begging you to see it. Additionally, this movie has a ton of sci-fi violence and scary images (especially if watching in HD and/or with surround sound). On a positive note, the movie is chock full of great morals. A typical James Cameron film, it's anti-establishment and focuses on everything from corporate greed taking precedence over life to insinuating that those meant to protect us are human too and make mistakes.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTW2 August 3, 2010

Important message for kids and adults at this difficult time

Loved it...the message surprised me and pleasantly. I think it points out important side effects of the actions of our current world powers and hopefully will give some food for thought and hopefully a new appreciation for cultures different from ours. Wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where we cared about something other than ourselves?
Adult Written bydudeman123 July 19, 2010

A Beautiful Film

Yes the plot is very similar to many other previous films but Avatar stands alone when it comes to the special effects and just the pure beauty of Pandora. It is for sure nothing like you have ever seen before and, really the only movie that needed to be in 3d or the only movie worth the money to see it in 3d. Just the breathtaking effects is enough for my approval. Plus the plot is not too shabby eigther it's a great story of a man standing for whats right. An epic film!
Adult Written bynorma48 July 10, 2010

What is the Message?

I saw it as a repeat of the white man coming to the new world and violently taking the land away from the Native Americans. Only this time the Natives win and are not placed on reservations! I reject the idea that it is a portrayal of what America is doing in the Middle East. Many Middle Easterners support terrorism and the Na'vi do not.
Adult Written bygabbygirlcuccaro July 1, 2010

perfect for teens and middle aged people

It was good,but very long.They could have shortened the movie by at least 30mins,but i would definitely recommend it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymmkcfam June 27, 2010

Adult movie. PERIOD!

The first 5 minutes of this movie sets an obvious tone, and any parent in their right mind would know that it is NOT a movie for children. It should not be seen by anyone younger than 14, and in most cases, 17 years of age. The content and complexity are way over kids' heads...this is not a cartoon, and should not be treated as such.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byyoooooooooooooo... June 23, 2010

yo

love it
Adult Written byMidnightCresent June 22, 2010

One of the best movies I've ever seen!

This movie is amazing, I watched it at least 6 times! It takes a while to understand it, but I mostly got it now. Of course there are things you may not want your kids to see like- Jake and Neytiri 'mate' but it doesnt exactly show it. They have some bad words, violence, and some characters die (some grusumly) Otherwise, it shows good things, like how connected the Na'vi are to the forest. I think human beings should share that connection that the Na'vi have. Like they care about eachother and the world around them. Human beings don't.. at least not all of them. Nor to all humans care what happens to another. Some even incourage death and murder.. which makes me feel sshamed to be part of the same race..
Parent of a 15 year old Written bytrspa June 14, 2010

Watch to satisfy curiosity, not entertaining, plot very predictable, special effects fantastic

Type of profanity very inappropriate for all ages. Very disappointed, otherwise could have been a great movie. Underlying theme has deep political overtones fitting the "Green" agenda. Although, not surprised from Cameron and others.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

Good messages and great effects!!

The moral of the story - take care of the earth and don't destroy nature! All that and beautiful graphics too! You can't lose!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLANP2010 May 27, 2010
I thought the plot was excellent and deep. The effects were beautiful and amazing. I recommend this highly for mid-teens and up! However, it seemed to have graphic, not just implied violence. There were scary creatures/characters, main character smoking and lots of military images. Added in was the use of foul language and I will have to refrain from letting our younger boys see this one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written by1401chest May 26, 2010

Violent but just a few fights every now and then some scary dogs in a scene GREAT MOVIE I'm nine and my parents just covered my eyes the firs time i saw it and i watched it two times now second time it was my choice -great movie-
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Good, but too long, negative against the military

This movie is good enough to see once and has great visual effects but I don't think I could sit through it twice. It was way too long. The language is not as bad as it could be. The sexual content is mild. The girl says "we mate for life", but I don't think my kids noticed that they did more than kissing. The violence is not good and it is unusual to see "military types" trying to take down people to exploit their natural resources. I thought that made the military look bad and it was not a message I want my children to see in a movie.
Adult Written bytennis player May 20, 2010

visual masterpiece

Avatar is a beautiful movie with very good special effects and great acting. However, behind amazing effects, the story has a really simple context. There is a feeling that you have already seen it somewhere. Cameron, the director of the movie, used the "war" story. Acting was very professional. Actors showed great emotions, even when they played aliens and not people. Overall, the movie is a visual masterpiece, and has the credits for watching it.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 17, 2010

Great stuff

That was a fantastic film and is great for everyone in the family.