Parent of a 13 year old Written bysurfsolar March 4, 2010
All in all a good movie- I've almost given up on the language in anything rated above G, the sex scene ( mating)was actually very tastefully done-but why do they have to have to have that in the first place?
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written bycreeves March 4, 2010
I enjoyed it a lot. BUt it's so long it actually got boring for my 8 year old. BIg mistake to take him to it. It was too violent for him and that's what he said when he came out probably because it was so realistic. He's a mature 8 and would say world of war video game and other army stuff is his favorite, but this was still too much for him. WIsh I'd read reviews first. I am online because he is convinced it was R, and I thought PG 13 which I think is appropriate rating and probably should be followed.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom23k March 4, 2010
I really enjoyed the movie (not necessarily the plot, but the visuals were stunning) but wouldn't even consider bringing one of my children to see this movie. The violence didn't get me so much as the nearly naked humanoids mating. I felt uncomfortable sitting near a 7 year old girl during that scene. It was far too graphic for kids.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byiku_app March 3, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie and if you're kids are mature, maybe even younger than 14 is ok. My major concerns where with the graphic depiction of warfare, the hollowness of humanity and their values and the trauma of a civilization facing destruction. I know some parents were concerned with language but to me the visuals were much more of an issue! But if your kid can handle it and you can talk about the topics I mentioned, I say go for it.
Adult Written byroute66 March 2, 2010
This movie is a rehash of several segments from other movies:Pocahontas,Jurassic Park,Star Wars,Star Trek,Star Trek TNG,...etc.This is an old formula movie:Big bad mining corporation wantonly abusing and destroying indigenous people.3D is 1950s technology.Been there,done that.IMAX is not a regular flat screen,but that's what was shown.Good wins versus evil mining company.So unimaginative,predictable,unoriginal.This was a giant ripoff.Any other sci-fi movie is better than this old garbage.If you are a kid you will be dazzled by all the technology.The plot is SOO trite.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydavesteer February 28, 2010
Great message and amazing movie.
Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written bysnubee February 27, 2010

I would stick with the PG-13 rating and not take young kids to this.

Great special effects. Horrible and frequent use of the B word. Very intense battle scenes and monsters. I saw parents in the theater with their kids under 7 (some even 3 or 4 year olds) and I thought they were crazy to bring their kids there. I wouldn't bring my seven year old to see it.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi February 25, 2010

Don't wait for the video, this movie MUST be seen in the theatre!

There's a powerful message about appreciating and preserving nature which is very good, but mainly you have to see this movie for the visuals. They are absolutely stunning! The creatures and the landscapes are so beautiful and creative. This movie should be seen in the theatre to really get the most from the gorgeous graphics.
Adult Written byfregggga February 25, 2010
You have never seen or felt anything like this before. This is truly a cinematic masterpiece beyond imagination with incredible spiritual power.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMarkissC February 24, 2010

great movie

I loved the movie, everybody should go and see it, its worth watching
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bybnksmom February 23, 2010

Excellent Movie - maybe too intense for most kids under 12

My husband and I saw the movie first and loved it. We both agreed that it was too intense for our 8-year old but felt that our almost 11-year old could handle it (with some conversation about some of the scenes). I later took my son and he loved it. It's amazing how kids see things through totally different filters than we do as adults. Above all, the message in this movie makes it well worth seeing (and in 3-D is totally worth it)!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written bymr.travis February 22, 2010

Way too scary and tragic for my kids

I saw Avatar with adult friends and was frankly astounded at the many achievements of this sci-fi war movie; we enjoyed it very much. It was a total onslaught on the senses in 3D, showing us a magnificently imagined other-world and then seeking to destroy it in a series of horrifying war scenes. For my kids it's way too far over the top with violence, suspense, tragedy and sensory overload. On the upside, I found the themes of the movie ultimately uplifting (about 160 minutes in) and also morally unambiguous: there is no doubt who the good guys are. Also, the dozen or so objectionable words are not new to my kids nor inappropriate for the harrowing wartime scenes where they occur. It seems unusually moral for main characters to declare they are "mated for life," and I did not find the issue of nudity or sex to be troubling otherwise, though reading other reviews below give me pause here. (I don't recall seeing bare breasts, and shapely blue behinds were covered by tails, but I'm sure the other reviewers know what they saw). I imagine I will be comfortable with this material when my kids are teenagers (wish me luck), but not now when they are 8 and under.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byPirate fan February 22, 2010
I saw this movie and man the effects are better than ever. The story had something to it, not those crapy little killer movies. I think that there is nothing really bad about but yeah its got to be seen in 3D or it kind of has bad graphics.
Adult Written byprvt8ball February 21, 2010

AVATAR the best special effects movie but overall, corny and poor,

Avatar was very good as a super special effects movie. I saw it in IMAX and would say it's the ONLY way to see it or it will, well stink. It's much too long....acting is terrible. I don't think it should have been included with the other "real people".......sorry Mr Cameron but this movie belongs inthe best special effects category....it's a great movie for the 12 to 17 criowd. It is NOT a great movie.
Parent of a 7, 13, and 14 year old Written byfive5ofhearts5 February 21, 2010

It's about time!

I'm very picky about what my children see and often don't even let them see PG movies. I made an exception for this (for my 13 yo and 14 yo) because it's just so good! There is some violence and cussing, but it's overshadowed by the excellent story, characters, and graphics. It has been a long time since I've seen a movie I want to share with everyone!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bypattigr February 17, 2010
I loved it as did my husband, daughter and her boyfriend. I saw it 3-D and I don't think it would be fair to the movie to be watched any different way. It was stunning
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bywdhoke February 14, 2010

Good story, great graphics, mega violence

Parents just need to know that this movie has classic hollywood brutal slaughter war scenes.
Adult Written bydefaultuser February 14, 2010

Perfect for Everyone.

I took my 9 and 5 year old daughters to see this movie. They both adored it and agreed with the "message". My youngest actually asked "Why is that man being mean to the animals???" . She identified wit the Na'vi.Maybe because their ideas and way of life is so innocent? WHo knows. At any rate, I think this movie is outstanding for any age.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written bycamris February 13, 2010
I just LOVED this movie!! I left the theater in a complete state of awe!!! As a Christian, the language was a little rough, and completely unnecessary, but nothing we all don't hear every day in this world we live in. I went expecting to see "body parts", etc. through the costumes (as warned).....but found nothing distasteful or lude. As far as the story goes, it was PHENOMENAL and I can't wait to see it again!!!!
Adult Written bywjbyman February 13, 2010

Hollywood's signature is to use the Lord's name in vain

I can't recommend this as the director decided to use the Lord's name in vain, just as if they were using a swear word.