All parent member reviews for Avatar

Parent of a 13 year old Written bymathew109 January 2, 2010

ousm

it is very ousm I Love it
Parent of a 11, 11, and 13 year old Written byapsteiner January 2, 2010

After seeing this movie with my 11 year old twins and their 11 year old cousin we all agreed that it was great entertainment. We loved the effects and the overall feel of the movie. But even the kids felt that the plot was not the strongest. Overall we loved it. This was a great opportunity to introduce the concept of "Allegory" to them. They were fascinated by the idea that a story could be about an entirely separate concept than the obvious plot that was in front of them.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 12 year old Written byspringsmom January 1, 2010

Fantastic movie, great for 12+

I second Snowflake_UKs review! We LOVED the movie! I watched it (twice) before deciding to let my husband take our 12 1/2 year old to go see it. What sexual references is everybody talking about? The one scene where Neytiri and Jake "become" a couple was short, relevant to the story, and very tastefully done. AND they mated for life not for 'till something better comes along'. Whould you watch an old Cowboy and Indian movie and say it was very sexual because the Indians very scantily dressed? I'd suggest concentrate more on the story than what the natives are wearing or not wearing. And please parents a PG-13 movie is NOT meant for a 9 year old. My 10 year old son will not see this movie. There is a lot of bad language and some smoking by Sigourney Weaver (Grace) in this movie but as any middle schooler will tell you, they hear worse in school by their peers (talk to your kids before taking them). If in question you should ALLWAYS see the movie BEFORE taking your kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bysassyshutterbug January 1, 2010

very good movie for older and more mature teens

I was a bit taken back by the language and sexual references and scene of "mating", my son is 13 and even he was looked at me with some shock. I would NOT suggest this movie to immature tweens!
Parent Written byInAnyEvent January 1, 2010

We loved it, however my daughters didn't like (covered their eyes during) the more violent battle scenes. Language was a bit rough, but we discussed the overall theme of the movie and thought it was quite good. Both my daughters have native-American heritage and were able to relate to the message.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 16 year old Written byMomosan December 31, 2009

Fabulous movie.

I really liked this movie. Yes, the story was simple. But it had timeless themes and easy for tweens to understand. The visuals were breathtaking. We took a group of kids ranging from age seven to age 20. All enjoyed it but I felt it was a little too intense for the seven year old. Although the movie was long, everyone sat and didn't move a muscle. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp December 31, 2009

Ahhh,,...

The visual graphics in this movie were incredible, but the story line was just so-so. It bothered me that the Navi women were only wearing a necklace, really, they could have been at least more covered up, even if it's CG. I also don't like going to a movie and having political views crammed down my throat. I felt this was way too political. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see the amazing special effects, but I don't think I'd ever watch the movie again.
Adult Written byStarZero December 31, 2009

I heartily disliked some aspects of this. The story would have been much better without going to the effort they did to demonize both businesses and the military. It's not a political dig at out Mid-east tatics, it's an outright insult to anyone who supports our military. That aside, it's not a bad story.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bymoviewatcher01 December 31, 2009

Too much bad language that the movie could have been fine without. Don't take little ones!! 3d effects were fine but would have been more comfortable to watch in high def instead. Glasses rubbed against head for almost 3 hours. Overall story line was not that great either.
Adult Written byNeytiri.Shelby December 30, 2009

A movie that is perfection in my eyes

This movie was amazing, i recommend it to children from the ages of 12 and up. There is some violence and language and kissing and touching, but that is only mild, there is though alot of gun battle and weapon use.
Adult Written bykeanve December 30, 2009

This a beautiful movie, and while not completely original in plot (several times during the movie we commented on scenes as compared to other well known movies), it was an enjoyable film. There is a fair amount of tension and violence, comparable to the mainstream cartoon movies this year (Transformers, etc.), but more adult language.
Adult Written bycmkingston December 30, 2009

I loved it! Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. However, consider there are many subtitles when bringing younger children that cannot read to the theater. You can't very well sit there and explain it and ruin other's experience. There is also subject matter that may be to difficult for younger children to grasp without asking a million questions. Whether theaters are cheaper than sitters or not, I suggest renting it and watching it in your own home where you can adequately explain the violence and swearing to your 3-7 year old. It is labeled PG-13 for a reason. Younger kids will need to be pretty mature to handle the war scenes, smoking, sexual situations, swearing and story line, if not just the length of the movie in itself. The main review does not mention the subtitles and it happens often in the movie.
Adult Written byDemonOni December 29, 2009

James Cameron's epic, Avatar.

Avatar is simply a science-fiction epic. I had the pleasure of watching it today (in IMAX 3D, the way to go) and I already want to go back and watch it again. The film has a rating of PG13, which I agree with, there shouldn't be any problems on a maturity basis to the voilence, language, and so on, which is all low-impact. The biggest problem you may have is keeping the kids happy for around 3 hours (including trailers), a running time which even had me sore (but the movie really is terrific, every minute). Under 13, there may be some problems, the death and mourning displayed is emotional, and the action gets heated with explosions and Pandora's wild life attacking humans and the Na'vi alike. I really wouldn't recommend it for under 13s. Anything over, and you'll be able to enjoy a visually stunning film, which is in my opinion a great movie to boot.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bySnowflake_UK December 29, 2009

Truly amazing film, but too long and complex for under-12s.

We absolutely loved it - went to see it without the kids first, so that we could decide. Pandora is a breathtakingly beautiful planet, and the animation is simply incredible. This really stands out in the scenes where there is mixed CGI/live action, and will amaze you in the scenes where there are real humans interacting with Na'vi. The role models are fantastic - a disabled hero who won't let anything get in the way of living a full, meaningful life. He fights for what he believes in with all his heart. Many teenage boys will really relate to Jake Scully, and his character goes through a gripping development in the film. All of the female characters are strong and inspiring, whether intellectually, like Grace, or militarily, like Trudy, and the female Na'vi are very much the same - they're feminine, but they work on an equal level with the men in every way. There is a fairly large amount of violence, although it's not very gory, between the humans and the Na'vi aliens. However I felt this was well-balanced in showing the horrors of war - the colonel is shown as a ridiculous, dangerous character and violence is never glorified. In fact, when Neytiri loses one of her family in battle, she mourns him at length and weeps over his body - it's desperately touching but probably too upsetting for under-12s or so. Purely because of the lengthy battle scenes, the complex plot, and the fact that overall the film is pushing for 3 hours once you include trailers and such, I really wouldn't recommend this for under-10s at all.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bycrisleem December 28, 2009

Great movie and I took my 11 year old from what was written here. Poor reviews Common Sense. I expected far better from you since you normally do well. I read here that the only bad word was the "S" word. So, parents know that every bad word but the "F" word is used. And most kids know what 'mating' is. So, if Alien sex scenes are ok, then you shouldn't worry. However, I think my 11 year old is mature for her age and I'm not too bugged by the bad advice from others. But I might have thought not to go had better reviews been given. I use this site for a reason! But I'm extremely happy I did not allow the 7 year old to go! The movie itself for me was the most amazing visual movie I've ever seen! The story was decent enough, but very political (extremely liberal actually), but a reasonable person can ignore that and just watch for the entertainment only. I enjoyed it. It was very beautiful! And it kept me looking for more things to find in the film Didn't even notice it was 3 hours long. But overall the actual movie rating is appropriate. It's just too mature for anyone under 13
Adult Written bykra December 28, 2009

Wow! What a ride!

Avatar has, in my opinion, WAY too much strong language. I just don't understand why a movie like this "needs" all that. It wasn't nasty, just a lot of exclamations. A tad violent, but not really bloody per se. Also, you might want to be aware that the alien people are very human-like and the females are pretty topless. If they were human, I beleve it would be counted as nudity without a doubt. They're covered, but only with necklaces and such. All that said, it was one of the most amazing 3D movies I've ever seen, I enjoyed it very much, and I'll probably see it again in the theater! It was stunning! The 3D was very believable and didn't give me a headache. If you and your family can cope with the elements described above, I strongly recommend seeing it. In 3D for sure. If not for the language, I would have rated 5 stars.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bykayote December 27, 2009

Good movie for teens and adults to discuss ethics and politics

I did like it, however, I go to most movies without any expectations. It's not an earth shatteringly good storyline, and I wasn't impressed by the 3D (save $ and watch it in 2D) for most of the movie. That said, I did like the storyline even if it's rather predictable. I didn't realize that it was almost 3 hours long when we went to see it! I was impressed by the several wonderful female role models in the movie. There are no damsels in distress waiting on the male hero to come save them. The movie is rated PG-13 and CommonSenseMedia.org media also puts a minimum age on it at 13/14. I would definitely agree with this age range. Ben wanted to see it, but after watching it, I told him he was too young for the movie because of (1) the violence, (2) the language in the movie, and (3) the length. My son repeats movie lines incessantly and there isn't any age appropriate language for a 9 year old in that movie. The person that I saw it with has a daughter who just started kindergarten this year; he objected to kids seeing the movie due to general nakedness and a sex scene.
Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written byUrkMan December 27, 2009

A Must See Thrill

This is the type of movie that I will keep for a life time.
Adult Written bymusserjd1 December 27, 2009

Terrific movie all-around

This is the best film I've seen in a while. It is a violent film, but not gratuitously. One of the most moving scenes, early on, is when one lead character mourns the fact that she had to kill (terrifying) animals in order to save the main lead. The sanctity of life and of nature is one of the main themes, and its very moving. If you are sensitive to nudity/sexuality, you might want to know that there isn't any, but the Na'vi are indigenous humanoids and are scantily dressed. (Check out images/clips from the movie if you're concerned.) Also, two Na'vi mate, but it is (surprisingly/refreshingly) not sensual or explicit. Language is likewise refreshingly mild. "Sh-t" is said often, but nothing worse than that. (There is some angry words and taunting in heated situations.) Overall, this is the best film to come out in a long time: epic and serious, yet accessible and positive.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMelonee December 27, 2009

Perfect for older kids, but no good for kids under 13 or so.

Too violent and intense for my 9 year old. (But a very good movie in all other respects! I plan to see again, without the kids:)