All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byEdutain2ten April 15, 2010

Not for the little guys - PG13 is there for a reason

I heard conflicting reviews about the decency of the film for younger children (mine range from 4-11) and went to pre-screen it with their father and found many times us nodding "no way" to even our eldest seeing this due to innuendos all-throughout the film, forcibly/random cussing, etc... despite the enormity of genius and groundbreaking 3D execution. There were eco-political themes my kids could benefit from, but the sex-driven storyline was a bit much.
Adult Written bymassak February 5, 2010

We took my 10 year old daughter and my 13 year old son. They are not allowed to use language like what's in the movie, nor do we talk like that at home. They were surprised to hear the frequency of the language used, as was I. I think for my daughter, who is a mature 10 year old, but not worldly, she could have waited a couple more years to watch this. I had to help her understand parts of the storyline as some of the dialogue was hard for her to follow. She did correlate some of the thematic content to what she has learned in school about Native American Indians. I thought that was a pretty mature correlation. It's great entertainment. Just warn your kids about the language if this is something that is important to you.
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2010

Great Movie

I liked this movie a lot when i saw it, but with younger kids, be careful. there is some scary images, and a LOT of swearing; basically every word but f**** . Also, there is a scene of "mating" which really just is kissing but can be interpreted differently by a young kid. its also really long, so if you get bored with long movies maybe not the one for you... but still it was a great movie with a positive message and good brave role models!
Adult Written byamiellen January 28, 2010

Highly entertaining - recommend.

This is a really good movie - my kids ages 13, 15, 17 all loved it, as did my husband and I. It is a re-run of familiar plots - Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc... But the 3D version was awesome. I found some of the previous reviews interesting - they objected to the Americans being killed in the story - yet had no problem with the fact that the Americans were slaughtering the indigenous people in order to profit from their world's natural resources? It's an old story, but deplorable all the same - for most anyway.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRaeRae28 January 26, 2010

I really love it, saw it twice. Might go again.
Adult Written byTiredofSexScenes January 25, 2010

e.g. great on the big screen in 3d

Super great to see on the big screen in 3d! Very good movie, although it could have done without the breasts/nipples and the "mating" scene etc,it just wasn't necessary, and then all ages could get to enjoy such a great show with great positive messages. It does have swearing, and violence, and sad in parts, but for a tween and up, esp if accompanied by adults (and you should go adults, its good!) it is a great movie. You can talk about it afterwards about the destruction some humans do and are capable of, and also how other humans do good things. Very well done!
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bykjm January 10, 2010

Great for the imagery, not so much the story.

I saw Avatar in 3D and it was worth the money...only for the computer generated imagery. The scenery looked realistic and captured the imagination of "another world". The storyline was too predictable. I've watched enough Disney movies...Pocahontas, Atlantis, plus Fern Gully. For all the money they spent on the movie, I would expect an original plot.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2010

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

This was the awesomest movie I've ever seen! There is intense violence, though, and some of it thoroughly freaked me out. In one scene, the military fires balls of fire and explosives at "Home Tree" where the Na'vi (Avatar people) live. It is explained that there are children, women, and whole families living in that tree when it is destroyed, which I thought was disturbing and sad. But I think everyone 11+ can handle it. It also had a really great story. You can't keep your eyes off the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bybolobao January 9, 2010

Challenging with many adult themes but filled with enough thoughful (and entertaining) material to engage all auds.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byshimmerlake January 2, 2010

good rating, breath of new imagination

Loved it! The rating is good, my grandkids are a little young for it, 8 & 7. Good values are in the movie, a very wonderful breath of imagination. All the stuff out there doesn't use imagination like this. I'd be proud to have all of the creators as a neighbor.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2009

basicly fine for any mature child no matter of age.

I absouloutly love this film. I wasnt so big on termanator, but this movie deserves a grammy for best picture. I only hated the ultmate bad guy lived so long. he was very evil. i also like this movie because most of the charectars were very nice and good. but the bad guys were way to much. the sex was mild and brief, no blood, just action, and some moderately strong language. all in all an incredible movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymysim20 December 26, 2009

Ok so this movie is perfect for kids who dont get bored easily i mean theyll try to watch it most of the time but just want more action. yet the older ones will aprreciate the story,scenery and action scences. the main thing is that i cant think of one non enternaining part of this film.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 10 year old Written byhfreeman17 December 24, 2009

Pure entertainment, but with a strong underlying political/spiritual message

It's bias toward pantheism should cause monotheistic parents to prepare to talk about that issue. Good fodder for discussion on cultural sensitivities, capitalist exploitation vs. entrepreneurialism/value creation, and respect.
Kid, 9 years old April 26, 2015

best movie ever

Avatar was a very good movie. It just had a few bad words. And the violence isn't bad except in one of the scenes a avatar stabbed a human with a knife.
Teen, 14 years old Written by2jayz April 4, 2015

One of the Best Movies

This is one of the BEST movies I've ever seen! It has a good plot, good acting, and great graphics. Everything you could hope for in a movie. The sex is nothing severe and the language occurs everyonce in a while. The violence is heavy and lots of destructive scenes.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bysassysas March 30, 2015

Can your kids handle it?

This is great sci-fi movie with amazing graphics and a stunning display of directing, but you really should be sure your kids are ready for it first. My ten-year old (technically nine, but almost ten) was off at a sleepover, so I sat down with my son and watched this movie with him. The ending is extremely violent, involving bombs, gases, guns, gunships, etc. Many characters die, but aren't shown bloody, merely falling or their area exploding. The Avatars are only fighting back because the humans destroyed their home, which is a good reason for war in my book. :-) Sexuality was okay for my older kids. The male Navi wear loincloths and that's it, while the women wear necklaces to cover their you-know-whats (keeping it cool for the kids on this site). All of the basic swear words are used including s--t, b---h, and others. The same four characters are always swearing and, the good thing is, they usually have a reason. Other than all that, the movie heartfelt, revolving around an other-wordly relationship and an adventure to find true identity.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy February 14, 2015

Avatar review

Avatar is a good movie, the first half is the best. It's violent, and at the beginning has a lot of language, but no f words. The violence can be intense at times, but not particularly graphic or anything. It racks up to a pretty high body count at the end though. 10 and up should be able to watch this, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone younger than that.
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2014

good movie but violence and sex and language

The movie is good but I don't think its suitable for children 8 or under and there's alot of violence at the end and there's a bit of swearing such as "bi**h and the aliens look like there naked(maybe they are)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviewatcherII November 22, 2014

ok svi fi movie with good morrals

Language: 1/2 There are uses of @ss, bit©h, sh!t. Violence: 1/4 Characters are shot and killed by explosions. Sex: 8/8 The na'vi where barely any clothing, with only a loin cloth to cover their genitals, women's breasts are covered with necklaces, and their backsides are covered by their tails. The main female's unclothed chest are occasionally exposed. The main character's exposed bottom is shown when he is floating in water. When the na'vi turn, their unclothed breeches are often seen.
Teen, 14 years old Written byanimebiscuit November 12, 2014

Meh

You should watch avatar the last airbender instead.