All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNetflixAddict October 13, 2011

This over-lengthed, intense epic was disappointing.

However millions of people enjoyed this film, when i watched a copy I got from the library about a year after it went into theaters, I just found it a little overrated. I thought that it was too long to keep with, (I usually avoid films over 2 hours and 15 minutes becuase they get boring early.). It has some entertaining stuff, but I was bored for most of it. Also, aside from it being mediocre at times, the PG-13 rating was defiantly accurate, concerning that there are violent scenes which may be disturbing (reason why it's a pause), and some heavy romance that both are very iffy for children under 13, despite that it is popular with kids. (in Canada this movie got a 14A, which has the same restrictions as a our R rating, except it is 14 instead of 17 and the content is more PG-13.) When I say that this film is violent, I mean it, it's even implied that a character bled so much a medic had to syringe blood back into him. I didn't have much time to write this, but one more thing, however the smoking in this film is controversial to some, in the DVD's subtitle menu, there is a anti-smoking PSA. Sorry I found Avatar mediocre. I just couldn't enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviePringle October 28, 2010

One of the best mvies i've ever seen!

This movie was great the action was amazing the graphics really amazed me throughly! This movie is brilliant and i dont think you really need to be 13 to see it appropriatley. It is a wonderful movie and the characters are excellent!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviesarecoolxx June 19, 2010

Best Movie Of Well...Ever? (:

a must see for everyone! some intense scenes, but it should be ok for anyone 11 or maybe 10 and older- no ones going to want to miss out on something this epic (:
Adult Written byMomofboyz May 18, 2010

Glad I saw it, sad I took my kids too early.

I wish I would have read this site prior to taking my 2 boys (ages 8 and 10) to see it. My husband and I sat there wondering if we should leave in the first 5 minutes of the film when every other word was "B***h" our fear was that the next word would be the F bomb! The mating scene fortunately (?) was preceded by enough kissing that my boys had already looked away before the intercourse act itself. Lastly, though we understand as adults that ex-military personnel may take on jobs that are military-like, but not actually working for the government (ie; Blackwater) younger children will just see this as the military/government choosing to hurt innocent people for monetary gain. Not that that isn't sometimes true, but it needs to be a discussion that the film doesn't provide. Which feels unpatriotic. Overall, amazing graphics, color and animation. Glad I saw it, sad I took my kids too early.
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

Please read my full review. Many different messages within the movie.

A "blur the lines" message is present throughout the whole film. The concentration of how "evil" the "aliens" are is ever-present and echoes concerns of actual certain governments presently on this Earth. Within 25 minutes of the movie, you will hear God's name used in vain 2-3 times. By the end of the film, God's name is 'damned' approximately 8 times. As an Evangelist and as a Youth Minister, I find the contents of this movie inappropriate for - 1) Young people, 16 and below. 2) Christians I actually went to the other room for about 30 minutes during this movie due to the overwhelming amount of language. There is a rule inside my home where, if God's name is used in vain, we cut the movie off. If it were a movie that I was showing, it wouldn't have made it to the 30 minute mark. I can remember in the early 80's how movies like this would automatically be rated R for such extreme language. Now, it is PG-13? Definitely shows the Moral Compass of Today's Society. There is a sub-masked meaning to this movie that does bring a good message but the overtones and characters that tell the story with their dialog are definitely NOT role models. Jake Sully, who is presumably "Adam" -- takes of the "fruit," is involved in a "sensual scene," takes God's name in vain a couple of times, turns on "his people," and is "reborn" as "Spirit-people" who "worship nature" mirroring somewhat of a "wiccan" setting. The movie had potential and if some scenes would have been changed and the language cleaned up, this could've been a classic. Unfortunately its nothing more than a "pop-movie" that will lose it's touch in a couple of years.
Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2010

A boring James Cameron film

Constant swearing including "b***h" and many others. Lots of violence and a very poor movie.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byEdutain2ten April 15, 2010

Not for the little guys - PG13 is there for a reason

I heard conflicting reviews about the decency of the film for younger children (mine range from 4-11) and went to pre-screen it with their father and found many times us nodding "no way" to even our eldest seeing this due to innuendos all-throughout the film, forcibly/random cussing, etc... despite the enormity of genius and groundbreaking 3D execution. There were eco-political themes my kids could benefit from, but the sex-driven storyline was a bit much.
Adult Written bymassak February 5, 2010

We took my 10 year old daughter and my 13 year old son. They are not allowed to use language like what's in the movie, nor do we talk like that at home. They were surprised to hear the frequency of the language used, as was I. I think for my daughter, who is a mature 10 year old, but not worldly, she could have waited a couple more years to watch this. I had to help her understand parts of the storyline as some of the dialogue was hard for her to follow. She did correlate some of the thematic content to what she has learned in school about Native American Indians. I thought that was a pretty mature correlation. It's great entertainment. Just warn your kids about the language if this is something that is important to you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRaeRae28 January 26, 2010

I really love it, saw it twice. Might go again.
Adult Written byTiredofSexScenes January 25, 2010

e.g. great on the big screen in 3d

Super great to see on the big screen in 3d! Very good movie, although it could have done without the breasts/nipples and the "mating" scene etc,it just wasn't necessary, and then all ages could get to enjoy such a great show with great positive messages. It does have swearing, and violence, and sad in parts, but for a tween and up, esp if accompanied by adults (and you should go adults, its good!) it is a great movie. You can talk about it afterwards about the destruction some humans do and are capable of, and also how other humans do good things. Very well done!
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bykjm January 10, 2010

Great for the imagery, not so much the story.

I saw Avatar in 3D and it was worth the money...only for the computer generated imagery. The scenery looked realistic and captured the imagination of "another world". The storyline was too predictable. I've watched enough Disney movies...Pocahontas, Atlantis, plus Fern Gully. For all the money they spent on the movie, I would expect an original plot.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2010

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

This was the awesomest movie I've ever seen! There is intense violence, though, and some of it thoroughly freaked me out. In one scene, the military fires balls of fire and explosives at "Home Tree" where the Na'vi (Avatar people) live. It is explained that there are children, women, and whole families living in that tree when it is destroyed, which I thought was disturbing and sad. But I think everyone 11+ can handle it. It also had a really great story. You can't keep your eyes off the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bybolobao January 9, 2010

Challenging with many adult themes but filled with enough thoughful (and entertaining) material to engage all auds.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymysim20 December 26, 2009

Ok so this movie is perfect for kids who dont get bored easily i mean theyll try to watch it most of the time but just want more action. yet the older ones will aprreciate the story,scenery and action scences. the main thing is that i cant think of one non enternaining part of this film.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 10 year old Written byhfreeman17 December 24, 2009

Pure entertainment, but with a strong underlying political/spiritual message

It's bias toward pantheism should cause monotheistic parents to prepare to talk about that issue. Good fodder for discussion on cultural sensitivities, capitalist exploitation vs. entrepreneurialism/value creation, and respect.
Kid, 9 years old April 26, 2015

best movie ever

Avatar was a very good movie. It just had a few bad words. And the violence isn't bad except in one of the scenes a avatar stabbed a human with a knife.
Teen, 14 years old Written by2jayz April 4, 2015

One of the Best Movies

This is one of the BEST movies I've ever seen! It has a good plot, good acting, and great graphics. Everything you could hope for in a movie. The sex is nothing severe and the language occurs everyonce in a while. The violence is heavy and lots of destructive scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy February 14, 2015

Avatar review

Avatar is a good movie, the first half is the best. It's violent, and at the beginning has a lot of language, but no f words. The violence can be intense at times, but not particularly graphic or anything. It racks up to a pretty high body count at the end though. 10 and up should be able to watch this, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone younger than that.
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2014

good movie but violence and sex and language

The movie is good but I don't think its suitable for children 8 or under and there's alot of violence at the end and there's a bit of swearing such as "bi**h and the aliens look like there naked(maybe they are)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviewatcherII November 22, 2014

ok svi fi movie with good morrals

Language: 1/2 There are uses of @ss, bit©h, sh!t. Violence: 1/4 Characters are shot and killed by explosions. Sex: 8/8 The na'vi where barely any clothing, with only a loin cloth to cover their genitals, women's breasts are covered with necklaces, and their backsides are covered by their tails. The main female's unclothed chest are occasionally exposed. The main character's exposed bottom is shown when he is floating in water. When the na'vi turn, their unclothed breeches are often seen.