All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byFearTheTaco February 12, 2011

It is pretty good, but not the best.

It is good, but not great. I agree with everyone else who said there was way too much love story, but the 45 minute action scene at the end made up for it. It is probably ok for younger kids though, if you dont mind medium level langauge and sci-fi violence.
Kid, 10 years old February 12, 2011

Good

Avatar is a very good film. It is quite violent. Near the end a man is badly injured with blood all over his face. There is some sexy stuff when Jake and Naytiri mate. They are almost naked. Language includes: a couple of uses of 's--t' and 'holy s--t', one use of f--k. There's also a use of p--s and ass.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2011

Eh...

It was pretty good, minus the whole love story. It had some good action though, and wasn't very innapropriate except for a few bad words and a lot of explosions. Bruteslayer out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrockrgrl637 February 6, 2011

Disappointing

Love the special effects, hated the cliche story... otherwise, there was lots of cursing, and honestly, pretty explicit sexual content in my opinion... also a good helping of violence.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 6, 2011

Not a great movie, but pretty family friendly.

Not nearly as great as everyone says. As far as content concerns, violence is the only real issue here, and it's nothing extreme. Still, there are much better movies to see.
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2011

Great overall message, keeps up with the times

I love avatar!! I hate all the toys and games associated with it, but t is a great movie. I would definitely say it is appropriate for older kids. Great ideas, and supports nature, (all leaving natural things ALONE ;))and shows that greed is a powerful yet dangerous thing. A happy ending.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny January 31, 2011

Great movie! Stunning!

The movie is different from other movies with the same rating. It's really worth watching. The action is incredible. The story is good. The special effects and graphics are not crappy. In fact, they're one of the best I've ever seen. Following the main protagonist, Jake Sulley, the movie is about him and a few others going into avatar bodies, and exploring a planet known as Pandora. Their avatar bodies are formed to look like the natives there, known as Navi, which stand 9 feet tall and are blue. The reason they are there, retreive a valuable mineral called unobtanium. There is plenty of violence, especially near the end, but it's not too intense, in my opinion. Scary animals try to kill some of the main characters, but they are later used to defeat the "Sky People", as they so call them. There are some uses of "sh*t" and "d@mn". Sexual content isn't shown a lot, but one scene does show them embracing. They are declared as mates. Jake and the others who were sent in the avatars, are good role-models because they try to protect the Navis from destruction, and help them defeat the "Sky People" at the end.
Kid, 10 years old January 31, 2011

Its good

I've seen its good, not for 11 to 10 year olds and under
Kid, 12 years old January 30, 2011

Good movie But may disturbing to little children

When I saw this movie I really liked it but there are some violent,kissing,and language in this that may be disturbing in some ways to little children . the movie is About Jake sullie and him going to the planet Pandora. there is some bad Language . there is a Secne where Jake and Neytiri mate, but can't really see anything. There is a fighting Secne may be Disturbing. but overall the movie was good I recomend 10 +
Kid, 10 years old January 29, 2011

It could have been OK, but they ruined it.

It just drags on and on about Jake and Neytiri falling in love, and there is hardly any action until the battle at the end. I actually fell asleep during it. They also use WAY too much special effects. The only upside is that its pretty appropriate, except for a few bad words.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJourdy288 January 27, 2011

A true epic.

I absolutely LOVED this film. I've written a review with regard to my opinion here: thestuffiread.blogspot.com/2011/01/avatar.html With regard to this movie for families, I definitely recommend it. There is some swearing, violence, explosions, etc., but these are completely swallowed up by the themes of environ-mentalism (I had to put in a dash because of the spam filter), loyalty, etc. In all, I recommend.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bystreborkb January 27, 2011

May be too intense for VERY young kids (elementary and pre-school)

My teen and 'tween are mature and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. They stayed 'engaged' the entire time. However, I do agree with Common Sense that it may be intense at times for very young kids. However, most middle school children today are accustomed to more fast-paced action and should be fine. As an adult, I thought it was a VERY good film and would be willing to watch WITH (note the supervision) most, if not all, kids age 9+.
Kid, 10 years old January 24, 2011

Avatar is the king of science fiction!!!!!!!!

Its a great movie, and I cant believe it got 13+! Literally a 1/4 of the movie is a battle, and it is even funny at a few parts. The only thing parents should be concerned about is langauge, if you dont mind alien warfare.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIgnis Graecus January 21, 2011

Beautifully done, I love this movie, and my sister (who's seven this year) has watched it at least two hundred times. Honestly I think the rating (+13) is a bit ridiculous. This movie is fine for all ages, though some might be squeamish during the battle scene (though I found it saddening and touching) and teaches children that respecting the environment is important, since mother nature just might decide to bite back.
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2011

Hecka good

This movie is great i feel if there is a sequel it won't be as good because this awesome
Kid, 12 years old January 20, 2011

Avatar Great For Kids

LOVE IT Not my Best movie though.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byAxis360 January 19, 2011

Right and wrong and a connection we have to make to protect what we have

Great visual effects and wonderful fairy like magical land. There is a fight for what is right and wrong. The connection of the land and the people is right on. We are the invaders and also the explorers trying to make that connection. Talk to your kids about the rights we have and how we have to protect our own world! I like it my kids love it. They are 5 & 6
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

phenomenal

this is the next titanic
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Good movie, not for young ones.

There's an alien sex scene, which is not so bad, but can be awkward for teens to watch with parents. Overall a good movie, though a bit violent for preteens. Good messages.
Kid, 8 years old January 9, 2011