All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Kid, 12 years old January 31, 2010

Avatar movie review

It was ok. Strong message. Shows that the military are the bad guys and kills everybody. A lot of swearing. Mostly s**t. Shows how you cant use force to get what you want.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfreeall11 January 30, 2010

the best movie ever
Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byOmni January 30, 2010

Amazing movie, but language not good for young kids

This movie is amazing, but many of the reviews on this site greatly down played the language. There were curse words that were NOT appropriate for younger children. It is unfortunate that these words had to be used, but overall, the movie is remarkable.
Adult Written bykatiekat37 January 30, 2010

Amazing!!!!! So good I could watch it like a million times and not be bored!! The trailers make it look stupid and fake but it is truly amazing how realistic it is..
Parent Written bykimcsw January 30, 2010

Safe to Watch With Parents

The plot of this movie was similar to Dances With Wolves. Instead of the American military you have corporate recruited and paid mercenary soldiers hired to be a security unit for the company's executives, scientists, and mining crew on an wild terrestrial planet. Instead of tribes of Native Americans you had tribes of 12 feet native aliens called the Navi. In both movies they want to relocate one of the tribes of natives off their tribal land because they have something they want. The comparisons go on, but it is a refreshing different spin on this otherwise familiar plot. Warning the profanity is bad. The first two hours have really no violence. The violence is basically limited to the last 30 minutes.Their is no sex, but it is implied after a couple chooses to be "sealed" as life long mates in a holy place. Great opportunity to talk to your children about the historical parallels to a regretful past part of American history.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPinhead January 29, 2010

AWESOME!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPolah bear ghurl January 29, 2010

My little six year old brother, Ethan watched this movie and he absolutely adored this movie! I LOVED this movie SO MUCH as well! Oh my gosh this movie is a must see!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTrinity507 January 29, 2010

I saw this movie for my 15th birthday and walked out of the theater completely speechless. I can't remember the last time that happened! I saw it in 3D and was bowled over by the special effects. I mean, I'd heard they were good, but really - these were beyond belief. What I didn't like about this movie was its (very) cliched storyline - it would have been nice if they'd given the Na'vi less of a "noble savage" image and presented them with a little more emotional depth. I saw it a second time to see whether or not it was okay for my little sister (age almost 10), and 90% of the movie is - just not the very violent battle scene at the end, made even more intense by the 3D.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byLone Mother January 29, 2010

There is no more language then what they put on tv and no sex scenes. My family and I have seen it 5 times and it gets better each time. I would recommend this movie to anyone!! It was AMAZING!!!!!!!
Adult Written byShawns Grammy January 29, 2010

The special effects and the world created on Pandora are dazzling beyond expectation. The hero of the story is a good role model because he chose to do the right thing despite fierce opposition. Over the course of the movie he learned some humility and began to respect the new culture he was immersed in. My down side is the comic book depiction of the military and the big bad industrialists. They were absolutely stone hearted and void of any inner conflict for their actions even to the point of taking personal joy in what they were doing. At this time in our culture, it is fashionable to bash America. We are soooo evil! Viewers shouldn't have any trouble correlating the movie's theme with our activities in the Middle East (oil) or what was done to the Native Americans in our earlier history. There may be some truth there but America has also never sought to dominate the world like prior super powers and what victor has ever rebuilt the countries of their defeated foes? Great movie visually but loaded with the typical political overtones regarding environmentalism, evil military war mongers, foreign cultures being so superior to ours, American arrogance. I'm tired of America being played as the evil of the world crushing the helpless...who are always portrayed as so peaceful, virtuous and high minded.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHappy-mom January 29, 2010

Loved it! We saw it with our 12 year-old boy and 10 year-old girl. Although there is some strong language and a short suggestive scene, I didnt find anything offensive or hard to understand for my children. Nothing different than what they can see in any of the childrens TV channels. I did like the strong message of caring for our environment regardless of whether it is Pandora or our Earth. An amazing production not to be missed! Our children loved it!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybl834 January 29, 2010

My 10 year old girl adores this movie - and so do I

Reasonably balanced in showing that humans can be both Good and Bad - sometimes within the same person. Visually the whole movie is stunning, even when not in 3D. Lots of fantasy-type wish fulfillment that my tween girl really identified with (flying on a dragon, saving a noble tribe against incredible odds, finding love in spite of personal flaws, having blue skin! etc). It sparked conversations about ecology and corporations and ancestry.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysheilaL January 28, 2010

Spoiler Alert--May give too much away! First, it helps if you like science fiction to enjoy Avatar which I do. I don't like violence, but like the rest of society, I've sadly become more immune to it. But while Avatar does have a violent element, violence is not the point. The point is the destruction of Avatar for the financial gain of some investors from Earth. The race issues that have been raised were not an issue for me because I saw the people on Avatar as blue - just blue. The religious question raised is interesting as well. Yes, the indigenous people of Avatar have a spiritual belief but what planet that we know of does't (yes, that would be Earth). It is not a religious movie, but it does demonstrate that when you destroy a people/place/culture you lose more than lives.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byfairknowledge January 28, 2010

Go see it for Valentine's Day! A great date film for adults.

Loved it. I've already seen it 4 times and plan to go back at least once more. Parents/adults should definitely go see it before they decide if it is right to take their kids.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySasukeUchiha January 28, 2010

Kept Me On The Edge of My Seat

Okay, the plot was predictable. I didn't mind one bit. The visuals are astounding. My mouth was open when I saw the Avatars themselves and the planet Pandora with its plant life and animals. It was a breathtaking movie, visually. I didn't notice how long it was, I was enjoying it so much. I really didn't want it to end. I am not a big fan of swearing, so that is an issue for younger kids, but other than that...Epic fightscenes, great acting, and stunning effects make this movie a must see and one of the best movies that I have ever seen.
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2010

I loved it! Most amazing movie ever, though it was a bit violent. A friend of mine was giving a sort of informal poll and found that most boys liked the last 40 minutes (the violent part) and that most girls liked the first 2 hours (the non-violent part). Just an interesting observation. But, otherwise...best movie ever! I've seen it twice and would love to see it a third time, let alone have it! xD Best ever!
Parent Written byjuicemom January 28, 2010

a good movie, and perhaps a teaching opportunity

My children really wanted to see this movie so we went as a family. Over all I'd say it's fine for kids as young as 8 or 9. The subject can be quite bothersome for some tender hearted kids. My 9 y.o. was really bothered by the attempted relocation but he still loved the movie. It did bring up some great conversations on treating all living beings with respect.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byRozieMozie January 26, 2010

Excelent movie, but the language makes it a no for my Munchkin

I was considering letting Munchkin watch Avatar because one of her friends has seen it twice. I have not felt peer pressure in so long and did not expect to find it as a parent from other parents. I had seen the movie myself and loved it, but I could not remember if there was any language. So I found this sight in my search to find the answer. Thank you very much for the wonderful information that this sight provides. Due to this information I have decided to let this one sit on the back burner until Munchkin is older.
Kid, 11 years old January 25, 2010

Great movie! My dad took me and my friend to see it one Saturday night and we LOVED IT! We both agreed it was one of the best movies we ever saw and it was really well done. I thought it was going to be long and too violent, but it was long and AWESOME! It wonderfully filled the 3-hours perfectly.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviemover January 25, 2010

Groundbreaking

Think of it this way: take the concept from Dances With Wolves and merge that with epic battle scenes reminiscent of Lord of the Rings and an incredibly artistic alien world that really breaks new ground with amazing creatures that inhabit said world. This movie provides great messages about environmental and spiritual themes. Violence is about the same level of the Lord of the Rings. More graphic scenes include a man shot in the face with an arrow (very quick and not gory). Absolutely incredible movie, you will not be bored once.