All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Nerdinator August 3, 2013

"We're not in Kansas anymore..."

This movie is amazing. The acting and CGI sucks you in. The script and plot are unforgettable. I don't see why people keep saying the story wasn't original. I found it very compelling. However... The one thing that really bugs me is that Jake and Neytiri have sex (it's not shown) while they first kiss... ??? A bit forced I'd have to say. Not needed either. Ew. Other than that, epic love story/actioner. It really doesn't have as much action as it looks. Positive messages- there are brilliant messages about racial and gender equality. Jake changes from a naive and oblivious young man to a wise and brave Navi. He doesn't let his dismembered legs stop him from fighting. Sex- the aliens obviously where skimpy clothing. Jake and Neytiri mate (it only starts with making out and straddling each other, you don't see the rest) and kiss. They talk about their mating the next day. Violence- both Navi and humans are killed brutally, whether shot or impaled. A giant tree is destroyed, killing many. Language- "son of a b^%$&", d$%#, sh%$, "what the h$#@", etc. Drugs- one character smokes. Consumerism- Avatar has lots of toys, games, etc. Avatar is an epic tale for both sci-fi and fantasy lovers! The ultimate popcorn pleaser!
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

Sci-fi epic has dazzling visual effects and great story.

This big budget film has action, a solid script, and dazzling vfx. Violence: 3/5, Language: 3/5, and Sex: 3/5. Quality: 4/5. Seriously though just Wow! The special fx are just amazing. Everything about the movie is good or excellent, but it's just not my favorite film although it is a great one.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShnep007 July 17, 2013

ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES I'VE EVER SEEN

I could have easily made this movie in my head. It was pretty much just stuff happening. And it is the same excact story as "Pocahauntus" (not nesecarily a bad thing, it's just not original) only in sci-fi. The only reason anyone liked it is because they were fooled by the amazing visual effects, but they're definately not the best effects out there. The characters were all stupid and it was cheesy and it just had a lot of action like other movies. The only things I admire about the film making are the special effects and the language of the natives. At least they actually took time to write a realistic language but that is because James Cameron is a perfectionist. I do love "The Terminator (1984)" and "Titanic (1997)" but this is by far his worst movie. It has some positive messages about the mistreatment of natives and how they are smart and equal to everyone else; It has lots of explosions and collapsing large objects, as well as machine gun fire and some blood; sexual content includes full frontal nudity of female Na'vi; language includes "s--t", "G-d d--n", and "h-ll." For some reason it didn't let me write the actual words; and when a woman comes out of her avatar body she asks for a cigarette ina grumpy voice (a "G-d d--n cigarette, to be exact).
Teen, 14 years old Written by092898 July 11, 2013

Loved the movie, not too inappropriate

Beautiful movie in my opinion, I loved every bit of it. (Watch it in 3D or HD!) It's pretty long, though. Everyone I've talked to either loves the movie or doesn't like it at all. The movie doesn't have anything that bad in it. (If you let your kid watch The Avengers, let them watch this.) It does have long battle scenes, very little blood but lots of gunshots and explosions. S*** and d**n are used infrequently. One of the characters, Grace, has a cigarette in her hand quite often. (No drugs or alcohol, though). There's no sex in the movie, but there is a kissing scene. It does have a positive message about the environment, and that history always repeats itself.
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2013

The best!

This movie is one of the greatest! I absolutely love it! The movie has lots of swears and smoking in it however. It is very violent with explosions, gunfire, fires, and a man is seen being shot with an arrow/stabbed. Overall, one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2013

THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. EVERYONE MUST SEE THIS THIS IS A NEW CLASSIC FABULOS.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShawn Lewis June 28, 2013

Unusual, but good movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. June 22, 2013

overrated

Not that good. To much animation makes for a weird look when humans are on the screen.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 18, 2013

Dances with Wolves in Outer Space

“Although the visual effects and 3D are groundbreaking; the plot is clichéd, acting is so-so, the pace is dysfunctional, messages are bad and the movies character development wasn’t good and rather sad. But the main thing is that the story stole from Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, The Karate Kid and even Terminator. The movie ultimately wasn’t good and definitely not worth watching again”. -Language and spirituality is an issue.
Kid, 10 years old May 8, 2013

Avatar Is Only For Mature Elementary School Students

This film is emotional, thrilling, great, and somewhat violent. There was that time when Grace dies and is taken to the sacred tree. While on the helicopter, you could see the blood on her shirt. Jake was chased by the aliens on Pandora. Some of the Na'vi people and dragons die in the movie. There is a little bit in sex in the movie like when Jake and Neytiri kiss. This is the beginning of their love interest. Also, you can here s--t, b--ch, god d--n, h--l, and a-s. On average, kids up to 11 (mature kids 9+) cannot see this movie.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2013

Avatar, a great movie to watch with your parent

Avatar is thrilling and will have everyone sitting at the end of their seats but there is a lot of language. You will hear many uses of s--t, god d--n, son of a b--ch, and h--l. There is some strong violence which may make little kids confused.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe April 19, 2013

BAD MOVIE!!!!

Us humans slaughtering an alien race?!!!! Whoever made this movie should know that this is the last sci-fi movie he/she made where the human race slaughters an alien race. I don't like it!!! People who make movies like this shouldn't qualify to be a filmmaker!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWild flower March 10, 2013

Great Movie....I loved it!

Avatar is an AWESOME movie and I really enjoyed it. It had quite a bit of language so I would not suggest it for teens younger than 15. This movie does not have any sex seens and is a really good thriller :) Teens will enjoy all the high-teck helicopters, Iron army guys, and space ships. This movie was awesome and I would really recommend it :)
Kid, 10 years old March 2, 2013

great film

I watched this film and I think it was one of the best films i have ever seen. There is quite a bit of swearing and some violence so it is not for young children. It is a very enjoyable film that made me want to watch it again and again!
Teen, 13 years old Written byglitchmaster February 21, 2013

good enough

it's not a violend movie that's why i think it is for 9 year old kids and over the movie itzelf issn't this super good lots of people like it but after seeing 2 times you begin to find the movie boring but it's good to see for the first time.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover7271 February 19, 2013

Nominated for Best Picture?!?!?:(

It will bore you out of your mind until the end. I found nothing fantastic and exciting except for the closing scene which seemed like it had the most action and the visual effects are INCREDIBLE. The only movie with better ones is Prometheus. Good story and unfortunate language, it all just didn't appeal to me much. Ages 10+
Kid, 12 years old January 13, 2013

A Great Sci Fi Epic

This is the 3rd longest movie i've ever seen. There's lot's of action, and some scary monsters. There's also some language. The main character's a good role model, and the message is to not to destroy the enviroment.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

It's Akanishi Jin's best song yet here's the link: Yellow Gold

This song......i'm addicted to it....... It's called "Turning Japanese" by The Vapors. Also i'm addicted to "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield...... What songs are you addicted to?
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 3, 2013

Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic! Magnificent! 10 and up! The special effects are great! the green screening is perfect. This is a visual miracle that you won't want to miss! The greatest movie of extincttion
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2012

what quality you should watch it in.

I loved this film because it is creative but it can get glory and bloody but it is fantastic .The quality i think you should watch it in 3D because it has lots of good effects and you would think it is real and it really work.