Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolpool785 March 17, 2017

Awestruck the entire time.

This is really good and one of the best of James Cameron's work. Though some of it's not the best for young kids to see yet, (mainly language and sexual content) It's great for when they're older. All sexual stuff is mild, and only from the "Avatars," which are aliens, and only is the type of clothing they where "bikini-like armor for women and men where hardly any torso. All violence isn't any worse than Star Wars, but is still full of it, Some of the alien creatures may frighten young children. This is a lot like "Dances with Wolves" by how a man joins the natives instead of his own kind, and makes strong allies, accept more action packed. Language is frequent in this film. Amazingly, I don't recall any F-words, but there most likely is one. This has amazing graphics, and will awestruck any sci-fi fans. Great for 11+ who can handle intense violence.
Adult Written byAlex W. March 17, 2017

Great movie

This movie is not bad i think kids 8 and up the only reason this movie is PG-13 is language
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 January 31, 2017

very bad

just bad, dont bother
Teen, 16 years old Written byNathan5906 January 22, 2017

My favorite movie of all time, any other movie you try to make me watch, it cant beat this movie

Language 5.5/10 - Violence 7.5/10 - Sexy Content 3/10
Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2016

Good movie, not for everyone

The swearing is your average amount in a PG-13 film. One major issue is that the female natives aren't wearing much to cover up their breasts, which look like a normal human breast. There is also an intercourse scene, so be aware of that as well. I don't think that there is that much violence, but the storyline can be really confusing, and younger kids will probably not get it when the main character gets into his avatar body and is actually" inside"his avatar body. Overall, it is a fantastic movie that is appropriate for pre-teens and up(11 and older)
Parent of a 3, 11, and 13 year old Written byB H. November 5, 2016

Amazing movie...for older kids!

This movie truly is the best! I love the sci-fi/fantasy mixture, and both my oldest daughter and I found it very interesting as the characters traveled between planets, transferred their consciousness to another life-form, and explored the truly stunning world of the Na'vi. The brightly-colored plants and animals, plus the unique culture is so fun to watch! However, small amounts of cussing, sex, and violence made it a little iffy for my 13-year-old. First of all, the Na'vi are aliens that slightly resemble human beings. The men and women's sexual parts are completely covered by loincloths, but women's breasts, nipple and all, can be seen. Most of the movie they are covered by ornate necklaces, but are visible at some points. About halfway through the movie, the two main characters have sex, or whatever you'd like to call it. It's a truly stunning scene to watch, actually. The whole idea of the Na'vi is that you are connected to the planet by the plants. The two characters are straddling each other and making out with some amount of moaning before a beautiful glowing tree, which is the heart of planet Pandora. After they are done, the female tells him that they are "mated for life". As an adult, it was beautiful, and my daughter was indifferent, but that's not such a good scene for younger kids. Human characters use pretty much all of the basic swear words, but the main issue I had with the movie was the unnecessary scene of violence at the end, when the humans are bombing the planet and shooting at the Na'vi with semi-automatic weapons and tanks, killing many of them all because they want a special mineral that grows there. My daughter burst into tears and gesticulated at the screen with a cry of "why?!" It was really upsetting to her to see the characters she had bonded with hurt and their planet destroyed. Still, though, the movie is a beautifully done, symbolic classic.
Kid, 11 years old September 3, 2016

11 and up

Wonderful. Just incredible. The special effects are amazing, and every shot of Pandora is incredibly detailed, from floating mountains to gigantic waterfalls. LOTS of fighting and violence, however, and some creatures that might make a younger child uncomfortable.
Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2016

A Really Good Science Fiction Movie

Avatar is really good, and I suggest you buy the collector's edition (the one I own) because once you are done watching one of them, there are two others to look forward to. Now, onto content! Battle Scenes and War: Most likely intense for younger viewers. The final battle sequence is between man and Na'vi, and is emotional, considering we see troopers of both sides get stabbed, shot, impaled and crushed by guns, spikes and falling objects. Parents need to know this entire battle is a bit graphic for children. Jake has many close encounters with shaman creatures, which may be intense and in many scenes, they chase him in an attempt to kill and eat him. The Na'vi's sacred tree is destroyed by human weapons, which some may find upsetting. Many positive characters are mortally wounded on-screen during the movie, which may be disturbing for the audience. Sensuality: It contains one sex scene, extremely mild sex references and brief nudity. The Na'vi people are aliens, but they are humanoid creatures. They dress in a tribal way, and we see their butts (not fully covered by their tails) quite a bit. The men wear only loincloths, and the women wear loincloths and ornamental, stringy pendants as bras. Their breasts are partially seen through these accessories and from the sides at many points during the movie.Both Jake and Dr. Augustine are stripped nude (in human form) and wrapped in ivy for a special Na'vi ritual. Their backs are seen partially, but explicit nudity is hidden. Dr. Augustine tells Jake to stop playing with his queue. Language: 11 uses of "s--t", 8 of "goddamn", 6 of "hell", 4 of "ass," 4 of "damn," 3 of "crap," 3 of "bitch," 2 of "Jesus", 2 uses of d--k (1 paired with god) and 1 use each of "for Christ's sake," "bastard," "oh my God," "my God," "oh God" and "son of a bitch." One each of "screwing", "screwed", "screw", "pissed off", "piss off", and "pissing", "balls. Smoking: Grace smokes many times, and at one point asks for a cigarette with urgency. Jake pulls a cigarette out of her mouth and tells her not to smoke.
Educator Written bycajungirl81 August 10, 2016

Remember enjoying this movie

We watched Avatar in the theater and REALLY enjoyed it. What stands out the most for me are the graphics. Age is really a personal choice. When my boys were little they'd act out after watching Power Rangers so I wouldn't let them see it until they stopped. So, their behavior changed. If you're really on the fence, preview it but I think it's worth a try.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarvelfreak June 2, 2016

Great effects but predictable and boring story

The movie had stunning visual effects but had Avery predictable ending. After watching 20 minutes of the film I already knew the ending. The violence is typical pg 13 voilence and nothing to worry about.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGuinneazilla June 1, 2016

Adventurous and fun!

I think that this movie is great for teens and is very fun to watch. It has some violence, cursing and a sex scene but nothing to inappropriate. It is sad and may be hard to handle for younger audiences. This is a great movie.
Kid, 10 years old May 10, 2016

Brilliant, visual candy at its best.

Really visually engaging movie, great story line; however there is some fantasy violence and no human blood, and semi- frequent curse words.
Kid, 8 years old April 11, 2016

Awsome some salty language!

Modarate language and Modarate fantasy violence almost strong peril and Modarate sad scenes. Modarate sex.
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2016

Good plot, but watch out for the special effects.

This is a good movie and is really not too scary. Moreover, women are more or less on par with men in this movie. The women actually have more interesting roles than the men. The characters may be frightening to some children under 12, however. Even if they aren't frightened, some adolescents and even some adults might find some of the special effects disturbing or disorienting, as I did.
Teen, 17 years old Written byzhenisawesome February 26, 2016

good

It is emotional. Good graphics but a little too much violence.
Kid, 10 years old February 11, 2016

Pretty good

It is not that violent it's really cool but kids under the age of ten might want to close their eyes for the final fight it is really graphic. Let's just say it is really graphic but awesome a creature is stabbed by a man in a big robot and he twists the knife killing it blood is briefly shown on the knife graphic. Some parts are really sad towards the end. Lots of other Scenes like that I do not want to spoil it though. Violence 6/10 profanity 6/10.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo January 3, 2016

Exciting, award-winning, adventure.

Parents need to know that the film Avatar is extremely violent, including explosions, deaths of main characters, animals killed brutally, and shooting with both guns and bows. The main characters are often in danger and/or peril. Plus, there some disturbing imagery, including arrow wounds. There is also a certain part in the movies where it's as if it's a montage of all the secondary characters dying. There is also a good deal of frequent strong language, including,"s--t", "bulls--t", "bitch", "bastard", "goddamn", "a--", "pissed off", "damn", and "hell." As for sex, a human "mates" with an alien, there is some kissing, and a couple is shown sleeping together.
Kid, 10 years old July 24, 2015

Beautiful movie!!!!

I love this movie so much. Although it has a small amount of language and one bloody scene. And at the beginning it shows people fighting and drinking at a bar.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy February 14, 2015

Avatar review

Avatar is a good movie, the first half is the best. It's violent, and at the beginning has a lot of language, but no f words. The violence can be intense at times, but not particularly graphic or anything. It racks up to a pretty high body count at the end though. 10 and up should be able to watch this, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone younger than that.
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2014

good movie but violence and sex and language

The movie is good but I don't think its suitable for children 8 or under and there's alot of violence at the end and there's a bit of swearing such as "bi**h and the aliens look like there naked(maybe they are)