Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byBetsZ January 9, 2010

I made the right decision for my 10 year old.

I agonized over whether or not my 10 year old should see this movie. Aside from some language that I wish they didn't use (although I didn't feel it was gratuitous) I felt completely comfortable with him seeing it. My son happens to be doing a unit on the Native Americans in school and I felt this gave him some insight to their treatment. We let him see Star Trek and I felt this was far more appropriate, if that gives you a guideline. Lastly, as you've heard, it's a long movie--some kids may have a hard time sitting through it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoglovermegan12 January 9, 2010

awesome movie

It was an amazing movie!!!! :) :) :) :)
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2010

A good movie, butn only good for teens.

I liked it, but it doesn't seem age appropriate until your in your teens. There's violence, sexual scenes, and some language. But overall it's a good movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMisty Mom January 9, 2010

Great movie for ages 8+

This movie was great! I was not very keen on going to see Avatar but I am happy that I did. I took my 8 year to see the movie and he absolutely loved and sat through the entire movies without misbehaving. The movie captivated his attention to the end.
Adult Written by4Sunshine January 9, 2010
I think I'm mostly fair (down the middle) for most things. Coming out of the theater my thought was that the technical aspects wowed me(3D not so much)...objects were huge and the views that were aerial also wowed me. The plot was predictable; a mission, romance, save the world (theirs). It felt like good overcame evil which is nice. I have to say that I was seriously touched, in fact, I flinched when they started killing what appeared to be American soldiers. During the showing I reminded myself that these weren't Amer soldiers, they were mercenaries. As for political inuendos, most films of this nature have them. I suppose it gives you a great opportunity to talk to each other and banter your opinions or simply state them. What's all the hoopla? I was most definitely entertained!
Teen, 14 years old Written bye.autumn January 8, 2010

Great messages and role models? Abso-bloody-lutely!

This is my current favorite film: it has strong messages about sustainability (the world needs more of those) and good role models: Jake starts out as a kind of stupid ex-Marine, but excellent character development turns him into a considerate Na'vi who realizes what team he really should be playing for. All of the Na'vi are pretty cool, except that one dude (Zoe Saldana's character's brother) who is a bit prejudiced against Jake, but makes peace with him in the end. There is some swearing and violence, but just one implicit sex scene. If you're not too distracted by the pretty colors and fantastic animation (and I do mean FANTASTIC), this is a neat-o, thought-provoking film.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymattthemovieman January 8, 2010

THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!! AMAZING!!

i loved the movie and i thought there was some brief bloody violance and a fair amount of language and the na'vai people (blue guys) dont wear that much clothing but other then that stuff its awesome!!! but if your kids r like 7-9 then they must be mature.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHasquilla January 8, 2010

Oh My Gods you have got to see this movie! It is the best EVER!!

This is the best movie ever! It had everything i thin a movie should have. There was action and romance and sci-fi and a lesson. It was very spirtual and pro-life even though people did die most of the time people were saddened by it unless they were in battle. The language was ok but there were uses that kids probably arent aloud to say. Not a whole lot though. The genral and the buisnessman are seen as very evil devil-may-care guys who think they can do what they want to the Na'vi because they are not human and "will kill you if you so much as put your little toe out of this area unprotected." Overall it is the best movie ever and always.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byDLWS January 8, 2010

See it!

The movie is spectacular, even though we did NOT see the 3D version. Bad language & violence aside, it raised some interesting discussions with the kids about concepts of eminent domain, history repeating itself, enviromental issues.
Kid, 8 years old January 8, 2010

way too violent for younger kids

ok not great
Adult Written byTheol January 8, 2010

a great movie for everyone

Teen, 16 years old Written bythatkiduknow January 7, 2010

Amazing!

I love this movie!!!! My boyfriend and I saw it together and we both enjoyed it trumendously. The visuals are amazing and the story is romantic and filled with courageousness. Some violence but not worse than what can be shown on tv. Sh*t was said but not excessively. Must see film!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobSR97 January 7, 2010
OFF for ages 8 and under, IFFY for ages 9-10, and ON for 11 and up. Content Warning: Contains some intense fantasy war violence, brief sensual material, and some language.
Adult Written byjtr January 7, 2010

Good visuals, unoriginal everything else.

The visuals are spectacular as you would expect from this fim maker however the story is the same old rehashed theme. Definately negative against corporations and the U.S. military. Anwyay, take away the visuals and you're essentially left with a sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2010

Good for older kids

I saw this movie with my brother( he's 12) and my parents on Christmas eve. I liked but a few scenes where not appropriate, apart from that it's fine.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bycommonsenseeducator January 6, 2010
Kid, 8 years old January 6, 2010

Not For Kids Under 13

This is an amazing movie however it might be too much for children under 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjanith January 5, 2010
Teen, 16 years old Written bylady_bug January 5, 2010

AMAZING MOVIE

this movie was absolutely amazing. i thought i wasn't going to like it at all, but i went to go see it, and now its one of my top three movies. the plot was very unique, ive never seen another movie like it. it takes place in the future on pandora (a moon of jupiter i think). the graphics are stunning and the scenery is beautiful, and the animals and plants are very different and exciting. thsi movies role models are good, there are lots of women who stand up for their beliefs and a man who deserts his cruel orders to do what the right humane thing is. it has great underlying messages, like what people will do for money and how family can never be destroyed and you should fight for what you believe in. i think everyone should see this movie. my brother saw it and he just turned 12 and he loved it too, so yeah. this movie was just awesome.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byOR-MovieFan January 5, 2010

A must-see film, but parents need to make the call for kids under 12

Conditional for 10-12 year olds due to frequent military violence, once in a while fairly graphic (as with the final fight). The partial nudity that some sites/reviewers are commenting on is, in my opinion, tasteful and in context. This is a race, after all, very akin to the native americans of our own nation's past. Extremely noble and connected with each other and nature. The skimpy clothing/covering is simply expected - more would have made it less realistic. I plan to take both my 12 and my 10 year old, with some prep and certainly discussion afterward.