All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Kid, 8 years old January 8, 2010

way too violent for younger kids

ok not great
Adult Written byTheol January 8, 2010

a great movie for everyone

Teen, 16 years old Written bythatkiduknow January 7, 2010

Amazing!

I love this movie!!!! My boyfriend and I saw it together and we both enjoyed it trumendously. The visuals are amazing and the story is romantic and filled with courageousness. Some violence but not worse than what can be shown on tv. Sh*t was said but not excessively. Must see film!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobSR97 January 7, 2010

OFF for ages 8 and under, IFFY for ages 9-10, and ON for 11 and up. Content Warning: Contains some intense fantasy war violence, brief sensual material, and some language.
Adult Written byjtr January 7, 2010

Good visuals, unoriginal everything else.

The visuals are spectacular as you would expect from this fim maker however the story is the same old rehashed theme. Definately negative against corporations and the U.S. military. Anwyay, take away the visuals and you're essentially left with a sci-fi version of Dances with Wolves.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2010

Good for older kids

I saw this movie with my brother( he's 12) and my parents on Christmas eve. I liked but a few scenes where not appropriate, apart from that it's fine.
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bycommonsenseeducator January 6, 2010

Kid, 8 years old January 6, 2010

Not For Kids Under 13

This is an amazing movie however it might be too much for children under 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjanith January 5, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written bylady_bug January 5, 2010

AMAZING MOVIE

this movie was absolutely amazing. i thought i wasn't going to like it at all, but i went to go see it, and now its one of my top three movies. the plot was very unique, ive never seen another movie like it. it takes place in the future on pandora (a moon of jupiter i think). the graphics are stunning and the scenery is beautiful, and the animals and plants are very different and exciting. thsi movies role models are good, there are lots of women who stand up for their beliefs and a man who deserts his cruel orders to do what the right humane thing is. it has great underlying messages, like what people will do for money and how family can never be destroyed and you should fight for what you believe in. i think everyone should see this movie. my brother saw it and he just turned 12 and he loved it too, so yeah. this movie was just awesome.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byOR-MovieFan January 5, 2010

A must-see film, but parents need to make the call for kids under 12

Conditional for 10-12 year olds due to frequent military violence, once in a while fairly graphic (as with the final fight). The partial nudity that some sites/reviewers are commenting on is, in my opinion, tasteful and in context. This is a race, after all, very akin to the native americans of our own nation's past. Extremely noble and connected with each other and nature. The skimpy clothing/covering is simply expected - more would have made it less realistic. I plan to take both my 12 and my 10 year old, with some prep and certainly discussion afterward.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2010

BEAUTIFUL and AWSOME

WOOHOO!!! This movie is da best!! It has beautiful jungles with mysterious creatures. The acting is very good and it's great in 3D. There is a lot of battle scenes and explosions but not too much gore. I LOVED this movie and recommend it for ages 12 and up.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJaisaurus January 5, 2010

The best movie I've ever seen.

As you can see, the only real bad review was from the one person who has not taken the time to see this movie. Avatar is my new favorite movie and definitely not suitable for children, yet amazing young adults and Teens.This movie gave me goose bumps and the story line was just amazing! Giving the message that yes, us humans can't always have what we want and the way the natives appreciated their nature really got to me. The quality and 3D wowed me it was so real! i can't wait to catch it a 3rd time on IMAX 3D. The Science fiction made it really interesting adding that fiction twist allot of us crave and I thought that sensual scene was sweet in my opinion. I loved the action as well appealing to males and the small romance between Jake and Neytiri was appealing to females. Overall I couldn't get enough of this fascinating world of Pandora and do hope there will be sequels to fallow. Amazing movie I encourage many of you to watch it. I was skeptical at first but when I gave it a chance I was astounded, amazed and I was 100% focused on that film. People really shouldn't judge it so harshly, most people though it was an amazing movie and deserves to be given a chance. Yet, I do agree tweens and children should stay away from this film.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byelitevegas January 5, 2010

Aside from the language, it was a great movie. There was one sensual scene that almost had me leave, but at the last second it cut off and nothing happened.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 January 4, 2010

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 13+

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! Sigourney weaver was once again amazing and everyone else was good too. the effects amazed me, as well as the acting and how similiar the avatar looked to thier person (i personally love sigourney's avatar) A MUST SEE!!!!!!!AMAZING!!! but can be a bit scary with the destruction.
Adult Written bykneecoalyoli January 4, 2010

For older kids, DOES show a nipple!

I just want to say that there is DEFINITELY a nipple slip on the main female alien. I really think parents need to know this before allowing their kids to watch it. Very awesome movie, I loved it, but I would want to know before sending my kids to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKatie-Kakes January 3, 2010

little bit scary

i loved this movie. my parents took me to see it just recently and i loved this movie and the special effects are great. we took my 7yr old brother to see it with us, and im quite sure that he handled this movie better than i did and i personaly am very interested in death. but he is extremely mature for his age. personally i have no idea how any human being could be that cruel resulting in me crying throughout this movie because i loved some of the characters so much. many of the main charcters are great role models. if you dont mind chaos and death this is a great movie
Parent of an infant, 4, and 5 year old Written bycycleboymoss January 3, 2010

A predictably story that's still fun with a serious side.

This is a very good movie, I quite enjoyed it. I agree that under 13's should not go - there's a lot of violence and some sexually themed content that would be a bit much for younger children. There are no real surprises plot-wise in the move; you can figure out almost the whole story from the trailer and every major plot point is telegraphed by a mile. For all that, it is visually stunning and I did enjoy seeing it. It is long, but not unduly so and I didn't feel like it was overindulgent or in need of some prudent editing. The review notes a parallel between current events and what's happening in the Middle East, but I think it's more intended to be an allegory to the historical treatment of American Indians and indigenous peoples around the world by explorers who "discover" their lands and force them off. I couldn't help being a bit saddened by what I saw and reminded of how shameful our own history is in this regard, but there could be value in it for discussing with older children to give them insight into history. All in all a good story well told and worth the trip. 3D didn't contribute anything special to my experience, however, and I wouldn't recommend paying extra for it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bym1 January 3, 2010

This was good but not great. Visual effects alone are worth seeing. This is NOT for elementary schoolers by ANY means.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2010

Wonderful.. brilliant and stunning!

A fun movie to watch. Has lots of fighting scenes and may be a bit frightening for younger viewers, but overall.. AMAZING! I do not recommend seeing it in 3D because it doesn't make much of a difference.