Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of an infant, 4, and 5 year old Written bycycleboymoss January 3, 2010

A predictably story that's still fun with a serious side.

This is a very good movie, I quite enjoyed it. I agree that under 13's should not go - there's a lot of violence and some sexually themed content that would be a bit much for younger children. There are no real surprises plot-wise in the move; you can figure out almost the whole story from the trailer and every major plot point is telegraphed by a mile. For all that, it is visually stunning and I did enjoy seeing it. It is long, but not unduly so and I didn't feel like it was overindulgent or in need of some prudent editing. The review notes a parallel between current events and what's happening in the Middle East, but I think it's more intended to be an allegory to the historical treatment of American Indians and indigenous peoples around the world by explorers who "discover" their lands and force them off. I couldn't help being a bit saddened by what I saw and reminded of how shameful our own history is in this regard, but there could be value in it for discussing with older children to give them insight into history. All in all a good story well told and worth the trip. 3D didn't contribute anything special to my experience, however, and I wouldn't recommend paying extra for it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bym1 January 3, 2010
This was good but not great. Visual effects alone are worth seeing. This is NOT for elementary schoolers by ANY means.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2010

Wonderful.. brilliant and stunning!

A fun movie to watch. Has lots of fighting scenes and may be a bit frightening for younger viewers, but overall.. AMAZING! I do not recommend seeing it in 3D because it doesn't make much of a difference.
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2010

Can't wait to see it!

Just can't wait! It looks REALLY good, and I heard the 3D is amazing! Looks great! James Cameron's going to make a fortune!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 2, 2010

Absolutely amazing, visually a masterpiece

I was stunned by the 3-D of this movie, usually in that type of situation stuff just flies out at you, but this was incredible. I could tell what was going to happen in alot of it, (plot familiarity), but this is a movie where you really are just treated to looking at it. Here's hoping it's Cameron's 2nd Best Picture win!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySavvy_Mommy January 2, 2010

Perfect for parents and older teens!

LOVED IT! I didn't take my kids and am glad I didn't. The violence and language was too much for under 13! But teens and parents will LOVE it! There was no sex and the "barely clothed" women didn't even seem very human. The "breast" they had did not include nipples and were so tiny!! The "mating scene" could easily be seen as nothing more than a kiss and some cuddling (and it was VERY short). I would hardly call this movie sensual. The main character takes a great moral high ground, the females are strong, and the overall message of respect for other living beings is really incredible! The special effects are magical. The movie was simply fantastic!

perfect for tween,teens,even adults

i thought it was awesome i also saw it in imax 3-d which made it ten times better it is age apropeit for 10 and up only if there matrue
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymathew109 January 2, 2010

ousm

it is very ousm I Love it
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2010

Great for older teens, bad for younger

i went to see this movie yesterday and i really loved it. the effects were amazing and the action was great!! there is a TON of violence though and has lots of the S word along with Bull-- and Holy-- with a-- he-- p-- and just about every word u can think of. excpet the F word. there is one scene where the girl Avatar and the Boy Avatar "Mate" but only kissing and touching is on screen. the movie is positive even though people blow up and kill and stab other people. it is to protect the Avatars world from ours. they fight untill they win. i recommend seeing it!!
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2010

I Say Off For 8 Year Olds!

I thought that this movie had several scenes of violence. It is a bad influence for little kids. Even though it is a great movie, kids that aren't older than 8 may not understand, they have many big words inside this movie that aren't apropriate for school. And lots of bad words like s**t and more words.
Parent of a 11, 11, and 13 year old Written byapsteiner January 2, 2010
After seeing this movie with my 11 year old twins and their 11 year old cousin we all agreed that it was great entertainment. We loved the effects and the overall feel of the movie. But even the kids felt that the plot was not the strongest. Overall we loved it. This was a great opportunity to introduce the concept of "Allegory" to them. They were fascinated by the idea that a story could be about an entirely separate concept than the obvious plot that was in front of them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byclone4-55 January 2, 2010

great movie (not made for kids)

i think this is a very cool movie, i would prefer to watch it in 3D. i did and it was so awesome, just incredible!!! the movie has some strong language and it's pretty violent at the end. for example : you see how a man gets 2 arrows shot in his body and blood is dripping down and you get to see a lot more stuff like that. the movie should not be watched by kids under 13-14years. it may look fascinating, but belive me, it's so not made for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPuppygal32 January 1, 2010

Sci-Fi Thriller for Teens and up!

This is an amazing movie! Teens will absolutley love this movie and get into the action...the language isn't so bad, s--t is the worst it can get. No F-bombs, though in a PG-13 like this you would think their would be! There is one sence if implied sex beteween the two Na'vi's and references to, "Mating". The violence is heart breaking and horrific, young tweens shouldn't see this movie if they are sensitive to these things. There is a sad death near the end also. This movie is LONG too! 3 hours. Your kids may get restless during the movie. Overall this is one of the best movies ever to be made with such amazing affects.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 12 year old Written byspringsmom January 1, 2010

Fantastic movie, great for 12+

I second Snowflake_UKs review! We LOVED the movie! I watched it (twice) before deciding to let my husband take our 12 1/2 year old to go see it. What sexual references is everybody talking about? The one scene where Neytiri and Jake "become" a couple was short, relevant to the story, and very tastefully done. AND they mated for life not for 'till something better comes along'. Whould you watch an old Cowboy and Indian movie and say it was very sexual because the Indians very scantily dressed? I'd suggest concentrate more on the story than what the natives are wearing or not wearing. And please parents a PG-13 movie is NOT meant for a 9 year old. My 10 year old son will not see this movie. There is a lot of bad language and some smoking by Sigourney Weaver (Grace) in this movie but as any middle schooler will tell you, they hear worse in school by their peers (talk to your kids before taking them). If in question you should ALLWAYS see the movie BEFORE taking your kids.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2010

Great!

It was a great movie! The only thing was a little bit of language that wouldn't be appropriate for kids under 11 unless they understand what it means, but overall, a great movie!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bysassyshutterbug January 1, 2010

very good movie for older and more mature teens

I was a bit taken back by the language and sexual references and scene of "mating", my son is 13 and even he was looked at me with some shock. I would NOT suggest this movie to immature tweens!
Parent Written byInAnyEvent January 1, 2010
We loved it, however my daughters didn't like (covered their eyes during) the more violent battle scenes. Language was a bit rough, but we discussed the overall theme of the movie and thought it was quite good. Both my daughters have native-American heritage and were able to relate to the message.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 16 year old Written byMomosan December 31, 2009

Fabulous movie.

I really liked this movie. Yes, the story was simple. But it had timeless themes and easy for tweens to understand. The visuals were breathtaking. We took a group of kids ranging from age seven to age 20. All enjoyed it but I felt it was a little too intense for the seven year old. Although the movie was long, everyone sat and didn't move a muscle. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp December 31, 2009

Ahhh,,...

The visual graphics in this movie were incredible, but the story line was just so-so. It bothered me that the Navi women were only wearing a necklace, really, they could have been at least more covered up, even if it's CG. I also don't like going to a movie and having political views crammed down my throat. I felt this was way too political. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see the amazing special effects, but I don't think I'd ever watch the movie again.