All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2010

Great for older teens, bad for younger

i went to see this movie yesterday and i really loved it. the effects were amazing and the action was great!! there is a TON of violence though and has lots of the S word along with Bull-- and Holy-- with a-- he-- p-- and just about every word u can think of. excpet the F word. there is one scene where the girl Avatar and the Boy Avatar "Mate" but only kissing and touching is on screen. the movie is positive even though people blow up and kill and stab other people. it is to protect the Avatars world from ours. they fight untill they win. i recommend seeing it!!
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2010

I Say Off For 8 Year Olds!

I thought that this movie had several scenes of violence. It is a bad influence for little kids. Even though it is a great movie, kids that aren't older than 8 may not understand, they have many big words inside this movie that aren't apropriate for school. And lots of bad words like s**t and more words.
Parent of a 11, 11, and 13 year old Written byapsteiner January 2, 2010

After seeing this movie with my 11 year old twins and their 11 year old cousin we all agreed that it was great entertainment. We loved the effects and the overall feel of the movie. But even the kids felt that the plot was not the strongest. Overall we loved it. This was a great opportunity to introduce the concept of "Allegory" to them. They were fascinated by the idea that a story could be about an entirely separate concept than the obvious plot that was in front of them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byclone4-55 January 2, 2010

great movie (not made for kids)

i think this is a very cool movie, i would prefer to watch it in 3D. i did and it was so awesome, just incredible!!! the movie has some strong language and it's pretty violent at the end. for example : you see how a man gets 2 arrows shot in his body and blood is dripping down and you get to see a lot more stuff like that. the movie should not be watched by kids under 13-14years. it may look fascinating, but belive me, it's so not made for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPuppygal32 January 1, 2010

Sci-Fi Thriller for Teens and up!

This is an amazing movie! Teens will absolutley love this movie and get into the action...the language isn't so bad, s--t is the worst it can get. No F-bombs, though in a PG-13 like this you would think their would be! There is one sence if implied sex beteween the two Na'vi's and references to, "Mating". The violence is heart breaking and horrific, young tweens shouldn't see this movie if they are sensitive to these things. There is a sad death near the end also. This movie is LONG too! 3 hours. Your kids may get restless during the movie. Overall this is one of the best movies ever to be made with such amazing affects.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 12 year old Written byspringsmom January 1, 2010

Fantastic movie, great for 12+

I second Snowflake_UKs review! We LOVED the movie! I watched it (twice) before deciding to let my husband take our 12 1/2 year old to go see it. What sexual references is everybody talking about? The one scene where Neytiri and Jake "become" a couple was short, relevant to the story, and very tastefully done. AND they mated for life not for 'till something better comes along'. Whould you watch an old Cowboy and Indian movie and say it was very sexual because the Indians very scantily dressed? I'd suggest concentrate more on the story than what the natives are wearing or not wearing. And please parents a PG-13 movie is NOT meant for a 9 year old. My 10 year old son will not see this movie. There is a lot of bad language and some smoking by Sigourney Weaver (Grace) in this movie but as any middle schooler will tell you, they hear worse in school by their peers (talk to your kids before taking them). If in question you should ALLWAYS see the movie BEFORE taking your kids.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2010

Great!

It was a great movie! The only thing was a little bit of language that wouldn't be appropriate for kids under 11 unless they understand what it means, but overall, a great movie!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bysassyshutterbug January 1, 2010

very good movie for older and more mature teens

I was a bit taken back by the language and sexual references and scene of "mating", my son is 13 and even he was looked at me with some shock. I would NOT suggest this movie to immature tweens!
Parent Written byInAnyEvent January 1, 2010

We loved it, however my daughters didn't like (covered their eyes during) the more violent battle scenes. Language was a bit rough, but we discussed the overall theme of the movie and thought it was quite good. Both my daughters have native-American heritage and were able to relate to the message.
Parent of a 11, 13, and 16 year old Written byMomosan December 31, 2009

Fabulous movie.

I really liked this movie. Yes, the story was simple. But it had timeless themes and easy for tweens to understand. The visuals were breathtaking. We took a group of kids ranging from age seven to age 20. All enjoyed it but I felt it was a little too intense for the seven year old. Although the movie was long, everyone sat and didn't move a muscle. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycrystalp December 31, 2009

Ahhh,,...

The visual graphics in this movie were incredible, but the story line was just so-so. It bothered me that the Navi women were only wearing a necklace, really, they could have been at least more covered up, even if it's CG. I also don't like going to a movie and having political views crammed down my throat. I felt this was way too political. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see the amazing special effects, but I don't think I'd ever watch the movie again.
Adult Written byStarZero December 31, 2009

I heartily disliked some aspects of this. The story would have been much better without going to the effort they did to demonize both businesses and the military. It's not a political dig at out Mid-east tatics, it's an outright insult to anyone who supports our military. That aside, it's not a bad story.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bymoviewatcher01 December 31, 2009

Too much bad language that the movie could have been fine without. Don't take little ones!! 3d effects were fine but would have been more comfortable to watch in high def instead. Glasses rubbed against head for almost 3 hours. Overall story line was not that great either.
Adult Written byNeytiri.Shelby December 30, 2009

A movie that is perfection in my eyes

This movie was amazing, i recommend it to children from the ages of 12 and up. There is some violence and language and kissing and touching, but that is only mild, there is though alot of gun battle and weapon use.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2009

good for 9 years,but not younger.

I liked this movie. It was a little bit weird,but it had a good message. There was a lot of bad words that i do not think little children should know. All in all it is an okay movie.
Adult Written bykeanve December 30, 2009

This a beautiful movie, and while not completely original in plot (several times during the movie we commented on scenes as compared to other well known movies), it was an enjoyable film. There is a fair amount of tension and violence, comparable to the mainstream cartoon movies this year (Transformers, etc.), but more adult language.
Adult Written bycmkingston December 30, 2009

I loved it! Probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. However, consider there are many subtitles when bringing younger children that cannot read to the theater. You can't very well sit there and explain it and ruin other's experience. There is also subject matter that may be to difficult for younger children to grasp without asking a million questions. Whether theaters are cheaper than sitters or not, I suggest renting it and watching it in your own home where you can adequately explain the violence and swearing to your 3-7 year old. It is labeled PG-13 for a reason. Younger kids will need to be pretty mature to handle the war scenes, smoking, sexual situations, swearing and story line, if not just the length of the movie in itself. The main review does not mention the subtitles and it happens often in the movie.
Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2009

Perfect for 10+

Great movie! Awsome picture, really makes me want to be in the forest of Pandora. It would have been better without the language, but how are you going to have a battle without violence!?
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

This one of James Cameron's best films, other than Terminator 2. It has great visual effects, great acting, and great action. This has to be the best movie of 2009.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFreakshowGamer December 29, 2009

I'd say 12+ for this movie.

This was, no doubt one of the best movies I've seen. The violence isn't too graphic, but you do see arrows go through people, some people get crushed, stabbed or fall from high distances. You don't see really graphic closeups or anything. There's some swearing. But if your kid is mature enough not to use the language, let them watch it.