All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 13 years old Written byilovetoread December 23, 2009

great

This was a really good movie. sure they dont hava alot of cloths on BUT it should be ok becouse it dose not show anything bad. There is alot of swearing. i suggest that parents rent this movie at home instead of going to the theaters to see it so that they can fastfowrd anything they dont like.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byJGTarrant December 23, 2009

Environmentalist propaganda thinly disguised as hi-tech sci-fi

After all the hype, I was a little disappointed in the film. It was essentially a high-tech knock off on the animated film "Fern Gully" where the "enlightened" environmentally sensitive protagonists battle the heartless military/industrial villains. Younger kids will miss the connection, but teens and adults won't.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA December 22, 2009

Outstanding.

What can I say about this film that hasn't already been said? It is gorgeus visually, surprisingly emotional, epic, and has GREAT battle scenes. Of course, this has all been said numerous times. It is true! This is a must see in theaters, in imax 3D if at possible. This movie is on the same level as movies such as 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Dark Knight.'
Parent of a 7 year old Written byslseed December 22, 2009

Superb adventure with great messages through out. A visual experience never before seen in the movies. It might be a little too real and violent for children under 8.
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2009

Great Movie

I think this is a great movie great story with it. It has cusing but it shows that you should stand up for what you belive in. But the bad role modles are the marine people.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycatman10 December 21, 2009

This movie looks good, but I must say it's a terrible thing to make Happy Meal toys about. I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't recommend taking anyone under 12 to see it. I want to go see it myself, but it looks really, really bad for young kids.
Adult Written byIlovetwiligjt December 21, 2009

this shouldnt be rated pg-13
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byinnersanctum December 21, 2009

PG-13 is the appropriate movie rating.

I took my 5 year old to see it and for 2 hours and 20 minutes, he and I were completely captivated by the movie. I think the MPAA hit the nail on the head with the PG-13 rating. I heard people say things like they won't see it or take kids to see it because of the nudity. I guess the closest I saw to any nudity was with Weaver was trying to be transformed to the Na'vi and it failed but then it didn't show so much as a butt crack. The Na'vi weren't clothed well but they didn't necessarily have their junk bouncing all over the screen either. The Na'vi had tails that were exposed more than anything. I am sorry, I don't see a problem with the way the Na'vi were clothed. Btw, there was more nudity in Splash (a Disney movie) than there was in this movie. Some say there were some anti-God references in the movie. I say, they were wrong. The aliens had their "god" and we have our God. The main point is, this movie is SCIENCE FICTION with fiction being the keyword here. I won't say that a parent is wrong for not taking their children to see this movie. I would say the same for those that do. My son and I have had some good talks about the movie and what is right and what is wrong. Don't let a movie dictate to your children what is right and wrong when the teaching must come from the home and when it does, they will make the right decisions.
Adult Written byWMLC December 21, 2009

Parent of a 2 year old Written byOnyxSky December 21, 2009

Perfect for all! *We should all love life this much*

This moving was STUNNING!! Of course it had beautiful sites and creatures but it was a movie of unity that I have never witnessed. The story line was kinda basic when it comes to the government and how it always gets what it wants. Even so I have to admit I fell in love with the natives of this world and the union that they shared with each other, the land, and other creatures. They had a respect and love for everything. Seeing some of the trials the avatar had to face to become one of them was amazing. Loved the different concept of it and rate it a 10! Also I would let my daughter watch this movie. She's too young to understand right now. But by the time she is 2 - 3 years old she will be introduced to it. Granted there are some swear words and the backsides are exposed and so are the blue boobs if you are really looking. But I never want her to see such things as shameful because they are not. The message this movie delievers is way beyond that. It shows a unity that we should all have with each other and our surrondings. It was truly amazing and I can't wait to see it again.
Adult Written byfaithmom December 20, 2009

My husband and I saw it and thought it was fantastic. The special effects were the most realistic we've seen to date and the story line was terrific, too. However, we were disappointed that it is being targeted towards kids, although we can see why they'd want to watch it. There was a lot of bad language throughout, including multiple god***n's. The aliens showed their backsides almost completely, and the barely covered female breasts were exactly like humans except in color (blue). A few times when they leaned forward you could see their nipples, which we felt was totally unnecessary for the film. Aliens or not, nudity should not be in films aimed at children. Just my two cents. Again, great movie and one we'd see again. We just won't be taking our 12-year-old or 8-year-old.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymiz December 20, 2009

Helped me decide | Had useful details | Read my mind

This movies is good ...
Teen, 16 years old Written byfallen December 20, 2009

great movie, great message, a must see.

This movie is very good. I think kids at least 13+ will enjoy it very much. The message about nature and how humans destroy it is very deep and I think lots of people should listen to this message, for we do destroy this earth and we need to stop. Beauty is in the beholder, we just need to act on restoring it. The movie is all but amazing, The effects are great! it took me to another world for the 2.5 hours it was on. I'll definately be seeing it again!
Parent Written byindianhillsted December 20, 2009

Kids might not like it

I will take my 11 yr old, but my 7 yr old who also wants to go will stay at home. It is just too sad of a tale. This may also be a boys/girls thing, but I have a feeling my youngest would not get it. The subtitles, the "why are they fighting", the science...I would be explaining the whole things to her. The 3d is incredible. The story good, if not completely predictable. My kids haven't seen many old westerns or "Dances with Wolves" so it might not be familiar to them. It does transport you to Pandora for 2.5 hours! It is a great spectacle. I can't wait to take my 11 yr old.
Parent of a 19 and 23 year old Written byJethog December 20, 2009

The new gateway, Lets make sure ALL of us know where we are going with this.
Parent of a 2, 10, and 14 year old Written bySB21 December 20, 2009

This movie was much better than I anticipated. It was very long but the movie was so good my 10yr old son and I barely noticed. But be sure to use the restroom before the movie starts! Yes the movie is a bit violent, but not really bloody or gory. It's done more to show the story. Just know what your kid can handle. The language is not too bad, curse words of more like S**t and the like but nothing more harsh. There is a reference to "getting some tail" but with most kids it will go over their heads (as it did mine). There is a pretty sensual "mating" scene but it's with the avatars so it's not the same as watching humans. Just a bit uncomfortable watching with my kid, but he didn't seem to care much. Yes the Avatars are not wearing much but they do not look like humans, the women don't really have breasts and they are fairly covered. Not too much concern there except maybe for the younger crowd. I would say also that some of the creatures and some scenes would be too much for the younger crowd as well. Age 10 and up would fair well with this movie. My son said it was the best movie ever. He doesn't really see many PG-13 movies either. As a parent i really enjoyed this movie as well and definetly worth seeing, see it in 3D for sure! As I said before I was not excited about going to see this movie and was definetly pleasantly surprised at how good it was!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed December 19, 2009

James Cameron Delivers Again

This movie is an amazing triumph of modern cinematography. It's the most amazing work of science fiction I've seen since District 9. It balances action with story and just the right amount of social commentary. I say go see it if you have even any opportunity. Content wise, it's worse than I thought it'd be. Violence is intense, though not bloody. There are a lot, and I mean A LOT of impalements. People get stabbed by five foot long arrows tipped with neurotoxin. Language is rough but not as bad as it could've been. S**t is used liberally and g*****n is used even more liberally. However, there are no uses of f**k or anything worse. On the sex front, there's not much to say. There are one or two kisses, and what is arguably the movie industry's first all CGI sexual encounter, although nothing is shown but the two characters embracing and the woman's voice in the background talking about "mating for life." Also, the Na'vi wear very few clothes. The men wear what can only be described as leather thongs covering their genitalia. The women wear slightly more clothing over their lower sections, but they also wear nothing but a necklace covering their breasts. However, I'm pretty sure the breasts aren't fully rendered, though, because there were a few points where a nipple could've easily been shown, yet none are ever seen. The good guys, a group of people who propose a peaceful settlement with the Na'vi, are really good, and the bad guys, the science fiction equivalent of Blackwater, are really bad. You're rooting for the good guys all the way through because it's not easy to sympathize with the bad guy. Also, the main protagonist isn't canned or generic, although he seems like it at first, he turns out to be dynamic and interesting. The love story is interesting instead of sappy, although I felt it happened too fast and rather without warning. The messages are good, about ravaging your world, and there are strong undertones about the War with Iraq being the War for Oil. Overall, the content earns its PG-13, and it's easy for one to tell that Cameron was trying very hard to keep it PG-13, because it would've been easy to make it an R. I say go and watch it; it's a thoroughly enjoyable film and there's plenty here for everyone.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum December 19, 2009

Exciting film experience for everyone, except the young.

This film is groundbreakng and breathtaking visually, and its an original world which kids will definitely appreciate. My son Max, age 7, enjoyed it and was ok with the more mature scenes and themes. However, objectively I would say 10+ is a more suitable general age. There is military violence, and some scary creatures; also some sad occurences, and large philisophical themes. Still, a great family experience, and must-see for spectacle lovers.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bySmitty000 December 19, 2009

no smoking

Smoking is a no no in movies
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPopcornmom December 19, 2009

Teachable Moments

While I rate this film age appropriate for children aged 7+, I'm thinking more in terms of boys, whereas girls younger than 10 may feel uncomfortable about body image due to the Furies' indigenous attire which consists of bare clad bodies covered by loin clothes and large ornamented necklaces concealing small breasts. However, these 'alien' bodies are blue and painted with illuminated makeup that they do not resemble humans, plus are androgyne in body type, so males and females are distinguished by the make up and jewelry worn. While boys are likely to be accepting of the National Geographic body image, conversely, there is a mating scene in a gorgeous landscape where the hero and heroine stand under a sacred tree to wed by a kiss. They remain in their indigenous attire and while standing, embrace one another with loving eyes to gently kiss and seal their hearts. No overt Hollywood-like sexual conduct. Girls may be more comfortable during this moment than boys under age 10. My 7 year son old scrunched his eyes and said "yuch," and I think this was the consensus for school aged boys. Do take care to not leave the theatre for popcorn during this mating scene, as I did with my son, because I was told by friends who remained seated that the scene lasted only for that kiss so we missed the pivotal arc of the film which immediately followed. Just know that when the kissing scene under the sacred tree happens, it's brief and you may remain in your seat to distract your kid for that half minute. The only issue I would have with this film is the soldier-like foul language spoken by military personnel and a woman lead scientist who is a smoker. When such language was heard, I said to my son "that's some mouth on that soldier" and he replied "he needs better manners" so in a way the bad language on screen was a 'teachable moment.' Other teachable moments are the many subtexts on ethics. The film's themes offer discussions with your children about genocide, deforestation, commercial greed, fairness, appreciation for the sacred, what is consciousness, what is beautiful... I feel that in bringing my son to this film, which is also stunning to watch, my son and I went home with much to talk about that's going on the world presently plus history (Trail of Tears, crisis of the rain forests, kindness to animals). There is also a good message about living humanely and respecting all living creatures, especially one another.