Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Kid, 10 years old December 24, 2009

Best Movie of the year. Perfect for tweens

This movie had outstanding graphics (partly cuz i saw it in 3-D). The only part that bothered me was when they killed these weird animal things and im a huge animal person and that was pretty sad for me. Best Movie of the year
Educator and Parent of a 5, 7, 13, and 16 year old Written bygtsstl December 23, 2009

Something for everyone but too much for the little ones

Like many popular movies Avatar is too high profile for my young kids to ignore. At a friend's house my five year was discussing the current Happy Meal toy, and he was surprised to learn it comes from this movie. There is beautiful scenery and wonderful adventure here; there are also many parallels to the harsh treatment of Native Americans. When I get the DVD I will skip around the major conflicts and callousness towards other peoples. My young kids will love the climbing, flying, and wild animals.
Teen, 17 years old Written byavatar1232 December 23, 2009
I liked it alot i just saw it although in some scenes u see the na'vi tribes womens nipples and in one scene u see neytiri's vagina but only for a split second as she jumps something
Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity December 23, 2009

Proof that James Cameron's still got it. See in 3D!

I knew that Avatar was going to be a really good movie. But what I got was a pure spectacle. Sure, it borrows plot elements from, say, Dances with Wolves or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Sure, it has that "care for the environment" message. Sure, it's close to 3 hours in length. But so what? It's a really, really good film all the same. The 3D effects were incredible, and the action scenes were definitely a throwback to James Cameron's Alien and Terminator days. It also had many good messages and role models. In terms of content, the PG-13 rating is well deserved. Violent scenes are a bit frequent, especially in the latter half of the film. They are rather restrained (not as bloody as other James Cameron films) but sometimes have very sad results. Blood is sometimes shown. I don't recall any f-bombs but there was a smattering of other bad words. Finally, the Na'Vi are barely clothed, but since they are an indegenous tribe, it's understandable. I have nothing else to say other than SEE AVATAR, but not in 2D. This was filmed with 3D cameras, so 3D is the way this movie is meant to be seen.
Adult Written byPandorasbox13 December 23, 2009

Avatar: The True IMAX Experience and a Great Film

This magnificent film uses special effects, CGI, motion capture, and 3D filming to the highest degree to create a captivating film worthy of the greatest praise from critics and normals viewers alike. In short, this movie takes place in 2154 on a moon called Pandora in the Alpha Centauri Star System. A group of humans mine the planet for a substance known as 'unobtanium,' which will supply Earth with near infinite energy. The problem is, a group of humanoid creatures known as Navi live on the planet and will not move from the large resource areas of unobtainum. So, now our main character Jake Sully, a crippled Marine who lost his legs in combat, must come and impersonate the Navi in a special program called Avatar to negotiate terms with the Navi so they will leave their sacred grounds. In this program, a person's DNA is copied to create an avatar of a Navi which they can control telepathically (or that seems to be how it works.) And so the film begins. The rest of the terrific story comes through in a creative blockbuster piece with a strong anti-military and anti-technology message. This movie has some flaws and loopholes, but the movie soaks in Christian and Native American/pre-Imperialism African metaphors and allusions which only improve the piece. Though the film contradicts itself (it cost around $300 million to make with the most advanced technology in the film industry and the best parts are the fights but it is about the evils of technology and the military,) the movie is too great to pass up. The racist, cuss-loaded, ultra-violent, sexist, commercialized, and crude elements of Transformers 2 are thankfully nowhere to be found in this film. As for children, no one under 11 should go considering the gratuitous amount of violence, some cursing, and some of the Navi women (especially the main female) have easily shown nipples throughout the film. (James Cameron, the only man to get away with nipple shots and a PG-13 rating.) But, this film also has good role models and great themes which make it worthwhile to teenagers and adults alike. From all the films I've seen which have come out this year, Avatar gets second place only to Watchmen. So, go to IMAX and watch it ASAP.
Teen, 13 years old Written byilovetoread December 23, 2009

great

This was a really good movie. sure they dont hava alot of cloths on BUT it should be ok becouse it dose not show anything bad. There is alot of swearing. i suggest that parents rent this movie at home instead of going to the theaters to see it so that they can fastfowrd anything they dont like.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byJGTarrant December 23, 2009

Environmentalist propaganda thinly disguised as hi-tech sci-fi

After all the hype, I was a little disappointed in the film. It was essentially a high-tech knock off on the animated film "Fern Gully" where the "enlightened" environmentally sensitive protagonists battle the heartless military/industrial villains. Younger kids will miss the connection, but teens and adults won't.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA December 22, 2009

Outstanding.

What can I say about this film that hasn't already been said? It is gorgeus visually, surprisingly emotional, epic, and has GREAT battle scenes. Of course, this has all been said numerous times. It is true! This is a must see in theaters, in imax 3D if at possible. This movie is on the same level as movies such as 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Dark Knight.'
Parent of a 7 year old Written byslseed December 22, 2009
Superb adventure with great messages through out. A visual experience never before seen in the movies. It might be a little too real and violent for children under 8.
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2009

Great Movie

I think this is a great movie great story with it. It has cusing but it shows that you should stand up for what you belive in. But the bad role modles are the marine people.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycatman10 December 21, 2009
This movie looks good, but I must say it's a terrible thing to make Happy Meal toys about. I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't recommend taking anyone under 12 to see it. I want to go see it myself, but it looks really, really bad for young kids.
Adult Written byIlovetwiligjt December 21, 2009
this shouldnt be rated pg-13
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byinnersanctum December 21, 2009

PG-13 is the appropriate movie rating.

I took my 5 year old to see it and for 2 hours and 20 minutes, he and I were completely captivated by the movie. I think the MPAA hit the nail on the head with the PG-13 rating. I heard people say things like they won't see it or take kids to see it because of the nudity. I guess the closest I saw to any nudity was with Weaver was trying to be transformed to the Na'vi and it failed but then it didn't show so much as a butt crack. The Na'vi weren't clothed well but they didn't necessarily have their junk bouncing all over the screen either. The Na'vi had tails that were exposed more than anything. I am sorry, I don't see a problem with the way the Na'vi were clothed. Btw, there was more nudity in Splash (a Disney movie) than there was in this movie. Some say there were some anti-God references in the movie. I say, they were wrong. The aliens had their "god" and we have our God. The main point is, this movie is SCIENCE FICTION with fiction being the keyword here. I won't say that a parent is wrong for not taking their children to see this movie. I would say the same for those that do. My son and I have had some good talks about the movie and what is right and what is wrong. Don't let a movie dictate to your children what is right and wrong when the teaching must come from the home and when it does, they will make the right decisions.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byOnyxSky December 21, 2009

Perfect for all! *We should all love life this much*

This moving was STUNNING!! Of course it had beautiful sites and creatures but it was a movie of unity that I have never witnessed. The story line was kinda basic when it comes to the government and how it always gets what it wants. Even so I have to admit I fell in love with the natives of this world and the union that they shared with each other, the land, and other creatures. They had a respect and love for everything. Seeing some of the trials the avatar had to face to become one of them was amazing. Loved the different concept of it and rate it a 10! Also I would let my daughter watch this movie. She's too young to understand right now. But by the time she is 2 - 3 years old she will be introduced to it. Granted there are some swear words and the backsides are exposed and so are the blue boobs if you are really looking. But I never want her to see such things as shameful because they are not. The message this movie delievers is way beyond that. It shows a unity that we should all have with each other and our surrondings. It was truly amazing and I can't wait to see it again.
Adult Written byfaithmom December 20, 2009
My husband and I saw it and thought it was fantastic. The special effects were the most realistic we've seen to date and the story line was terrific, too. However, we were disappointed that it is being targeted towards kids, although we can see why they'd want to watch it. There was a lot of bad language throughout, including multiple god***n's. The aliens showed their backsides almost completely, and the barely covered female breasts were exactly like humans except in color (blue). A few times when they leaned forward you could see their nipples, which we felt was totally unnecessary for the film. Aliens or not, nudity should not be in films aimed at children. Just my two cents. Again, great movie and one we'd see again. We just won't be taking our 12-year-old or 8-year-old.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymiz December 20, 2009

Helped me decide | Had useful details | Read my mind

This movies is good ...
Teen, 16 years old Written byfallen December 20, 2009

great movie, great message, a must see.

This movie is very good. I think kids at least 13+ will enjoy it very much. The message about nature and how humans destroy it is very deep and I think lots of people should listen to this message, for we do destroy this earth and we need to stop. Beauty is in the beholder, we just need to act on restoring it. The movie is all but amazing, The effects are great! it took me to another world for the 2.5 hours it was on. I'll definately be seeing it again!
Parent Written byindianhillsted December 20, 2009

Kids might not like it

I will take my 11 yr old, but my 7 yr old who also wants to go will stay at home. It is just too sad of a tale. This may also be a boys/girls thing, but I have a feeling my youngest would not get it. The subtitles, the "why are they fighting", the science...I would be explaining the whole things to her. The 3d is incredible. The story good, if not completely predictable. My kids haven't seen many old westerns or "Dances with Wolves" so it might not be familiar to them. It does transport you to Pandora for 2.5 hours! It is a great spectacle. I can't wait to take my 11 yr old.
Parent of a 18+ and 18+ year old Written byJethog December 20, 2009
The new gateway, Lets make sure ALL of us know where we are going with this.
Parent of a 2, 10, and 14 year old Written bySB21 December 20, 2009
This movie was much better than I anticipated. It was very long but the movie was so good my 10yr old son and I barely noticed. But be sure to use the restroom before the movie starts! Yes the movie is a bit violent, but not really bloody or gory. It's done more to show the story. Just know what your kid can handle. The language is not too bad, curse words of more like S**t and the like but nothing more harsh. There is a reference to "getting some tail" but with most kids it will go over their heads (as it did mine). There is a pretty sensual "mating" scene but it's with the avatars so it's not the same as watching humans. Just a bit uncomfortable watching with my kid, but he didn't seem to care much. Yes the Avatars are not wearing much but they do not look like humans, the women don't really have breasts and they are fairly covered. Not too much concern there except maybe for the younger crowd. I would say also that some of the creatures and some scenes would be too much for the younger crowd as well. Age 10 and up would fair well with this movie. My son said it was the best movie ever. He doesn't really see many PG-13 movies either. As a parent i really enjoyed this movie as well and definetly worth seeing, see it in 3D for sure! As I said before I was not excited about going to see this movie and was definetly pleasantly surprised at how good it was!