All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bySmitty000 December 19, 2009

no smoking

Smoking is a no no in movies
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPopcornmom December 19, 2009

Teachable Moments

While I rate this film age appropriate for children aged 7+, I'm thinking more in terms of boys, whereas girls younger than 10 may feel uncomfortable about body image due to the Furies' indigenous attire which consists of bare clad bodies covered by loin clothes and large ornamented necklaces concealing small breasts. However, these 'alien' bodies are blue and painted with illuminated makeup that they do not resemble humans, plus are androgyne in body type, so males and females are distinguished by the make up and jewelry worn. While boys are likely to be accepting of the National Geographic body image, conversely, there is a mating scene in a gorgeous landscape where the hero and heroine stand under a sacred tree to wed by a kiss. They remain in their indigenous attire and while standing, embrace one another with loving eyes to gently kiss and seal their hearts. No overt Hollywood-like sexual conduct. Girls may be more comfortable during this moment than boys under age 10. My 7 year son old scrunched his eyes and said "yuch," and I think this was the consensus for school aged boys. Do take care to not leave the theatre for popcorn during this mating scene, as I did with my son, because I was told by friends who remained seated that the scene lasted only for that kiss so we missed the pivotal arc of the film which immediately followed. Just know that when the kissing scene under the sacred tree happens, it's brief and you may remain in your seat to distract your kid for that half minute. The only issue I would have with this film is the soldier-like foul language spoken by military personnel and a woman lead scientist who is a smoker. When such language was heard, I said to my son "that's some mouth on that soldier" and he replied "he needs better manners" so in a way the bad language on screen was a 'teachable moment.' Other teachable moments are the many subtexts on ethics. The film's themes offer discussions with your children about genocide, deforestation, commercial greed, fairness, appreciation for the sacred, what is consciousness, what is beautiful... I feel that in bringing my son to this film, which is also stunning to watch, my son and I went home with much to talk about that's going on the world presently plus history (Trail of Tears, crisis of the rain forests, kindness to animals). There is also a good message about living humanely and respecting all living creatures, especially one another.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDvd9898 December 19, 2009

Awesome

I just got done watching it. It was the most amazing CGI in the history of movies. Most the the time i thought they were filming live. one sensual scene made it inappropriate for children younger than 12
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMadison M December 19, 2009

Avatar Rocks!

"Avatar" tells the story of a crippled marine named John sent to a base on a foreign planet, his mission to gain the aliens trust. On a planet with gun reflecting predators around every corner, and only aliens to guide his way, he learns to trust his non-crippled avatar body and learn the way of the natives. Once he learns that his marine bass tends to destroy their home and race, John must chose a side to fight and maybe die for. Which will he choose? His new-called home, or a bunch of murderers? Review: LOVED IT. To be upfront, it was the best 3-D movie I've ever seen. It was pretty long, but oh man was it worth it! I Thought it was brilliant! The semi-animation they used for the planet's surroundings and the creatures was just beyond incredible. Something that really drew my attention was the fact that they didn't film the whole movie around the fact that it would be seen in 3-D, they just made what was already awesome even better. Read my review at justsayknow.net
Adult Written bybgcola December 19, 2009

a very well-made movie. The violence, esp. the first violent scene, was too much for a 9 yr old girl in the audience, and had to leave. However, the other five boys (ages 11-13) thoroughly enjoyed it. I, as an adult, found the final scenes very violent, but in a strange way, all for the good of the cause. The positive message of "don't take what's not yours" gets through to the kids, I think. Loved the story, movie, cinematography, etc... A classic.
Adult Written byexgamerdotnet December 19, 2009

Fantastic film. I agree with CSM's review and issues for kids. The main standout is the profanity, but everything else - including sexuality - is toned down to the point of being barely noticeable. This is ironic given the scantily clad Na'vi are everywhere in Avatar.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byNana Sue December 19, 2009

Fine for older kids, but tweens and below should have parents with them to talk about it.

Violent scenes are too strong for tweens and below. graphics and the story line is excellent. But the character Grace smokes several times, making it seen as if she can't live without it. Sexual content is kept to reality of love, with no real sex acts committed.
Kid, 12 years old December 19, 2009

This movie is very action packed, very beautiful, and the 3-D is the best in any movie I've seen. The Violence is on par or less than Dark Knight. Go see it in the theatre yu have to experiance it! There are small details that make it the coolest movie ever made. Like the way the ground lights up when they step on it
Teen, 16 years old Written byjamuna December 19, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byLovely Outcast December 18, 2009

Avatar... simple amazing!

I long awaited this movie... and It is undoubtedly best movie of the year! I hope everyone who watches it can appreciate it. Did you know that the language of Pandora was actually made for the movie? It's all translatable! It is very, very Intense. The people of Pandora (shame I cant remember what they're called) are barely clothed though, and there is plenty of swearing, but that shouldn't stop you from watching. The beauty of Pandora is absolutely stunning. It's breathtaking... the message is great also. There is a part where Jake says reality seems like the dream and his life in the avatar seems like reality. I couldn't agree more, after watching him in the avatar for a while, I couldn't help but think that that is where he belonged. Great detail from the movie... It's an incredibly gripping and amazing story. I recommend it very, very much!
Teen, 13 years old Written byReviewerkid13 December 18, 2009

The Perfect movie........

Great movie with mind blowing effects. Your kids will have great imagination watching this movie!
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bymegansfloyd December 18, 2009

This movie was great for mature audiences. However, at several points, there was partial frontal nudity. Also, there was a scene in which to Na'vi have relations. It is also discussed afterward. It is very intense. Please know what your children are capable of comprehending and know what you are comfortable exposing them to before you head to the theater.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTrojan December 18, 2009

A breakthrough

Adult Written byNVP December 18, 2009

Two eyes are not enough to watch this movie. James Cameron gone out of wildest dreams of movie making. I don't have words to describe my experience watching this movie. My chest was heavy even after 4 hours I came out of the theater, Overwhelming, experienced the unexpected. Unbelievable..., extreme creativity & imagination of movie making, gone above and beyond the standards of movie making if any existed today. James Cameron challenged the whole world if anyone can make a movie close to his standards......God bless you James and need more from you.....! --Kondal Kandregula
Adult Written byMovie Man December 18, 2009

The Best Movie of the Year and Quite Possibly the Best Epic of All Time!

I loved this movie; it had action; it had emotion; it had the best effects this year by far! The acting was awesome; the direction was fantastic; the scale was epic and flawless; the battles were intense and grand; and the humor was funny! This film had it all! PARENTS: Although bloodless, this is a very intense film to watch: there are many sad deaths and destruction of homes. There's salty language and revealing but natural cloth clothing. I highly recommend this film! In fact, please go see this film right now! It will be worth it! Why am I so happy? Because I just saw Avatar, the best film since District 9 or The Dark Knight; maybe even better! Thanks very much for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 2 year old Written byakiyt December 18, 2009

Loved the flick.Must watch for dreamers and those who love adventure.
Parent Written byPlague December 18, 2009

Awesome flick! Action packed with intense battle scenes, and otherworldly beasts. Dazzling effects make a simply breathtaking world. A must see for the whole family.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byshrikant December 18, 2009

jyuytutu7

tut67t67tu
Parent of a 2 year old Written byajviolet December 18, 2009

Saw it last night and fell in love with the detail and beauty of Pandora. I appreciated the fact that it was not predictable and cheezy. At about an hour and a half into it, I felt like it had been fifteen minutes, because I was just as intriqued by this new world as Jake was when he first arrived. This innovative new style of 3D CGI was seemless, and seems almost like it was filmed rather than generated. Amazing! The violence and romance was moderate. It was not overly bloody or overtly sexual. If your child watches most Prime time television and hears some swearing without it scarring or influencing them, they would be fine to watch this incredible movie!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byfuser December 18, 2009

perfect for anyone...all u reqiure is a pair of eyes!!!

tis film is really fantastic...you cant even imagine the characters shown in tis film...i love te film alot..rate it more than titanic....a very must c film...film of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!