All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Kid, 9 years old November 12, 2011

alrigt i gues

good movie litle bit of swering lik s word
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2011

Great movie for my age!

Great movie but lots of curses.
Parent Written bytobewunaskwun March 15, 2010

Just One More Kids Movie That Is Not a Kids Movie

I said this movie has "good role models," but I was really torn which way to go with that. While the main character stands up for the Na'vi, after some time spent with them, the incessant attacks on the mean old capitalists gets really long in the tooth. It was a fun movie, in an action-adventure kind of way, with lots and lots of flying, battles, shooting, etc. Also, the beauty of this 3-D world is almost breathtaking. Yet, it has several moments and words that are unfit for children, or adults, and its anti-capitalist sentiment, (from a multi-millionaire producer,) is blatant and silly. Yes, I love my freedom and would fight for it too, but the last time I checked, the American military are the good guys. BTW, it's fairly obvious that the Na'vi are Native Americans and the crazy jar-head commander of the troopers is analagous to George Custer or, at least, this is an indians versus the U.S. Cavalry metaphor of some sort. The Lord's name is taken in vain at least five times, (yes, I was counting.) The Na'vi are practically...naked. Also, there is a scene between the two main characters, Neytiri & Jake, that takes place under the "holy tree" that obviously goes beyond first base. I heard about a local church that took their young teens to see this movie without having it screened by an adult first. BIG MISTAKE!!! Don't make the same one. One more thing: why is McDonald's selling this adult movie's merchandise in its kids meals? I'm not yet sure if I'm going to buy the blu ray...probably, probably not.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byfairknowledge January 28, 2010

Go see it for Valentine's Day! A great date film for adults.

Loved it. I've already seen it 4 times and plan to go back at least once more. Parents/adults should definitely go see it before they decide if it is right to take their kids.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2010

Great!

It was a great movie! The only thing was a little bit of language that wouldn't be appropriate for kids under 11 unless they understand what it means, but overall, a great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymysim20 December 26, 2009

Ok so this movie is perfect for kids who dont get bored easily i mean theyll try to watch it most of the time but just want more action. yet the older ones will aprreciate the story,scenery and action scences. the main thing is that i cant think of one non enternaining part of this film.
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

Spectacular Movie with a Powerful message.

I would recommend this film for kids ages 12 and up. The main message for me was how ugly things can get once money is involved. The terrible people in the movie will destruct just about anything, no matter how beautiful, for money. The cash in the movie was about a substance under the Navi habitat that seemed to be the main intention to destroy everything. The main character bonds with the new race and in a way, becomes one of them. He is accepted but loses trust. How will he gain it back? You will just have to see the movie first. The graphics were amazing and I was taken by the gorgeous scenery. Sad and compelling, but very satisfying.
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2011

Avatar- No good for under 10

I was definetly expecting a little more, and the Na'vi were obviously ripped off the Native Americans. The visual effects were awesome, and you can find yourself thinking that there really is a Pandora out there. The messages were good with role models that shone. Alot of language was used, but older kids who aren't likely to cuss will ignore it. The script was very weak in alot of spots, but the female actors use it to there advantage. The violence wasn't to bloody, but very scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTiffy6666 May 3, 2011

Best Movie Ever

I really loved this movie! I recommend everyone to see it, if you have the time it's quite long. James Cameron is an absolute genius, not one to be missed. All time favourite movie. Bit violent but amazing, even more breath-taking when watched in HD, it's like you're actually on planet Pandora.
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2011

cool

i think it was a cool movie, but little kids will not understand it. it was kinda violent too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

R in Disguise

This movie could pass as an R rated movie due to the harsh violent scene at the end of the movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 10, 2011

i rate this title ON for ages 12+

The good stuff * Messages: Overall, the movie's message is that we could all stand to learn something from a (fictional) peaceful, nature-loving alien population. Strong environmental and pro-peace themes. Some viewers may see the message of occupying a foreign land to usurp their cultural riches as a political dig at America's involvement in the Middle East. * Role models: Several characters make difficult but moral choices. Jake chooses to defend the Na'vi even though it's against orders to do so and means he must fight (and kill) fellow human soldiers. Neytiri, Grace, and Trudy all make personal sacrifices to help the clan; they're strong, courageous, and assertive female characters. (In both the human and Na'vi populations, female characters are just as brave and important as the males -- even the Na'vi mating ritual requires that a female accept/choose the male who chooses her.) On the flip side, the Colonel and corporate boss Parker are portrayed as bloodthirsty and greedy. What to watch out for * Violence: Characters (supporting and extras) die due to explosions, bullet wounds, arrows (some treated with toxins), precipitous falls, and asphyxiation. There are several intense scenes involving frightening Pandoran creatures and plants, as well as tension between Jake's rogue group of pro-Na'vi humans and the rest of the humans sent to Pandora. Close More Characters (supporting and extras) die due to e… * Sex: Many longing looks between Jake's avatar and Neytiri, which eventually leads to kissing and "mating" (only kissing and touching are seen on screen). The Na'vi's humanoid bodies are barely dressed. * Language: The word "s--t" is said several times (as well as its brothers, "bull s--t" and "holy s--t"). Other colorful language includes "godd--n," "piss," limp-d--ked," "h--l," "oh my God," "ass," and mild insults like "stupid," "ignorant," etc. * Consumerism: No product placement in the movie, but there are dozens of tie-in merchandising deals tied to the title -- including toys and books aimed at young kids. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Sigourney Weaver's character, Grace, smokes cigarettes and somewhat glamorizes the activity.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

GREAT MOVIE

Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2010

violence is intense launguage is coarse but it has a good message to it it focuses on the importance of the earth
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMannamedbob February 2, 2010

Amazing special effects!

I'm not going to comment slot, I'm just going to rate it. Action and Adventure: 9.5 Violence: 8 Sex-related Themes: 3 Language: 7 (No F-bombs but pretty much everything else) Drugs: 3 (smoking) If you have a rainy day, check this movie out. Not for kids under 9.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPinhead January 29, 2010

AWESOME!!!!
Parent Written byjuicemom January 28, 2010

a good movie, and perhaps a teaching opportunity

My children really wanted to see this movie so we went as a family. Over all I'd say it's fine for kids as young as 8 or 9. The subject can be quite bothersome for some tender hearted kids. My 9 y.o. was really bothered by the attempted relocation but he still loved the movie. It did bring up some great conversations on treating all living beings with respect.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMadison M December 19, 2009

Avatar Rocks!

"Avatar" tells the story of a crippled marine named John sent to a base on a foreign planet, his mission to gain the aliens trust. On a planet with gun reflecting predators around every corner, and only aliens to guide his way, he learns to trust his non-crippled avatar body and learn the way of the natives. Once he learns that his marine bass tends to destroy their home and race, John must chose a side to fight and maybe die for. Which will he choose? His new-called home, or a bunch of murderers? Review: LOVED IT. To be upfront, it was the best 3-D movie I've ever seen. It was pretty long, but oh man was it worth it! I Thought it was brilliant! The semi-animation they used for the planet's surroundings and the creatures was just beyond incredible. Something that really drew my attention was the fact that they didn't film the whole movie around the fact that it would be seen in 3-D, they just made what was already awesome even better. Read my review at justsayknow.net
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bymegansfloyd December 18, 2009

This movie was great for mature audiences. However, at several points, there was partial frontal nudity. Also, there was a scene in which to Na'vi have relations. It is also discussed afterward. It is very intense. Please know what your children are capable of comprehending and know what you are comfortable exposing them to before you head to the theater.
Adult Written byNVP December 18, 2009

Two eyes are not enough to watch this movie. James Cameron gone out of wildest dreams of movie making. I don't have words to describe my experience watching this movie. My chest was heavy even after 4 hours I came out of the theater, Overwhelming, experienced the unexpected. Unbelievable..., extreme creativity & imagination of movie making, gone above and beyond the standards of movie making if any existed today. James Cameron challenged the whole world if anyone can make a movie close to his standards......God bless you James and need more from you.....! --Kondal Kandregula