All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJblick October 29, 2011

Overrated

Although it is outstanding on a technical point of view, this film fails to impress on storytelling, originality and character development. I feel like I have seen this before, it is just as if you were to mash up "Dances with Wolves", "Pochahontas" and "Aliens". This movie can't hold my attention for its runtime.
Kid, 10 years old October 29, 2011

top3 movie

honestly this movie is in my top 3 favorite and I think a mature 9 or 8 year old could totally see this movie there is not even alot of gore anyway
Kid, 8 years old October 20, 2011

Just fine

Teen, 13 years old Written bysourcecoderocks September 17, 2011

Must Watch!

I think this movie is awesome!! It had great effects and plenty of action. It had good messages like 'take care of the environment'. Overall, a must-watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper-duper-boo... September 13, 2011

Great movie

This. Movie. Was. AMAZING!!! It had beautiful scenery, and wonderful characters, well the na'vis anyway. It was imensly violent, as well as using a ton of curses. Common sense media failed to mention that the word "b***h" was tossed around waaaay too many times. The natives were also very scarcly dressed, with the females' chests covered by a necklace made of feathers most of the time, and a peice of cloth hung from their waist. There was also intense kissing and in the next scene they declared they were "mated". But I loved all the new species, and now I'm wishing we do one day find our own "Pandora" (preferablhy while I'm still alive) and we'll have our own Avatars, and get to witness all of those creatures/plants (but there'll be no violence)!!! That'd be a dream come true!!!
Kid, 10 years old September 9, 2011

Avatar Rocks!!!

Its one of the best movies I've ever watched. It has violence but it is very imaginative, colourful and bright. It's as if they joined earth and sea creatures.
Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 8, 2011

Avatar: Amazing visuals, unbelievably clichéd.

Avatar is an OK film with great special effects. I went to see it, mainly because of all the Oscar buzz it was getting. It was... nice, I guess. It has a completely unoriginal and clichéd storyline, but the visuals were good. Language and a little sex implied, but kids will thoroughly love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 5, 2011

Visually groundbreaking feast for the eyes is fine for tweens

While it isn't director James Cameron's best film (by far), it is still a fairly solid action movie punctuated by some truly groundbreaking special effects and cgi animation. I honestly believe that, what ever you opinion on the movie is, it is still worth seeing at least once because of the visuals. That said, it is a pretty standard action movie in terms for content, with some intense action and battle sequences near the end which result in some blood, some fairly salty language between marines and veiled partial nudity between the alien natives including a brief sex scene. If any tween's and up are a fan of James Cameron's movies or want to see some truly mind blowing visuals, than they should certainly check it out.
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2011

AMAZING!

this movie One of the best movies of 2009 and great in 3-D it was not like you were watching Pandora it was like you were walking on the freakin planet man ! zoe saldana did a perfect job playing Neytiri. GOOD JOB JAMES CAMERON!
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2011

Hmmmmmm

I was entertained, but it wasn't really my kind of movie.
Kid, 9 years old August 11, 2011

ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF 2009!!!!!

GREAT MOVIE IT WAS FANTASTIC IN 3-D. THIS MOVIE WAS NOT LIKE WACTHING 3-D IT WAS REALLY LIKE YOUR REALLY WALKING ON PANDORA AND THE EFFECTS WERE AMAZING IN 3-D PEOPLE THAT SAW IN 2-D YOU MISSED OUT BIG TIME JAMES CAMERON AS SAID THAT THERE WILL BE A TRILOGY. AND #2 WILL BE COMMING IN 2014 I AM ALREADY THERE!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydawtpbwv July 18, 2011

Avatar review

Avatar is an epic adventure with great role models and storyine. Language isn't too bad and violence isn't too much of an issue
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2011

Avatar isn't for young audiences.

My biggest concern was the very common use of adult language. The violence is not bloody so I have no worries about that. Howver the navi ear very little clothing, but they act and seem alien and are expected to dress like so.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy July 10, 2011

Good for 13+

Movie Outline: Avatar •Recommended Age: 13+ •Sexual Content: One scene starts with two characters passionately kissing, and the scene ends. They wake up next to each other, implying they had sex. The Navi also wear clothing that barely cover their privates; cleavage is shown in some scenes. One masturbation joke; some partial nudity.  •Violence: Though it isn't graphic, there is a ton of violence. However, it is mostly all in one scene that lasts about twenty minutes towards the end of the film. Characters are shot with guns and arrows; a few are stabbed. Bombs and missiles destroy the Navi's home, killing a lot of them. One scene shows a huge tree falling down, and Navi bodies are everywhere.  •Profanity: 4 or 5 uses of the word b*tch 11 uses of the word sh*t 5 uses of the word ass Uses of d*mn, h*ll, etc.  Some religious exclamations •Consumerism: None.  •Positive Messages: Helping people who need help? Doing what's right? I'm not really sure, I think none, though.  •Smoking/Drugs/Alcohol: Drinking is shown, and Grace CONSTANTLY smokes. There is one joke about her being crazy because of what she smokes.  Please look for more complete reviews from MovieReviewGuy!! commonsensemedia.org/user/moviereviewguy
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

Spectacular Movie with a Powerful message.

I would recommend this film for kids ages 12 and up. The main message for me was how ugly things can get once money is involved. The terrible people in the movie will destruct just about anything, no matter how beautiful, for money. The cash in the movie was about a substance under the Navi habitat that seemed to be the main intention to destroy everything. The main character bonds with the new race and in a way, becomes one of them. He is accepted but loses trust. How will he gain it back? You will just have to see the movie first. The graphics were amazing and I was taken by the gorgeous scenery. Sad and compelling, but very satisfying.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 1, 2011

Amazing imagery

Yes, the story is predictable, and you'll be able to know what happens as soon as the movie starts. However, the imagery of Pandora is fantastic, and that alone is enough reason to watch it all of the way through. Parents should be aware that it is very violent (very little blood, though) and has one intense make-out scene between two blue, feline aliens. The movie does teach lessons about nature and how far is too far when its inhabitants take from it.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2011

Why not call it Pochahontis In out of space?

Good movie. But can someone say Pochahontis? This movie was suck a rip-off.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydeathstalker June 23, 2011

Avatar movie

I think the movie was amazing
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2011

Avatar- No good for under 10

I was definetly expecting a little more, and the Na'vi were obviously ripped off the Native Americans. The visual effects were awesome, and you can find yourself thinking that there really is a Pandora out there. The messages were good with role models that shone. Alot of language was used, but older kids who aren't likely to cuss will ignore it. The script was very weak in alot of spots, but the female actors use it to there advantage. The violence wasn't to bloody, but very scary.
Teen, 16 years old Written byunderdawg June 20, 2011

good movie

avatar is bad because they cuss a few times with words like s**t ... its also very violent because its a war they are fighting in.its a little sexual because the avatars are dressed in very little clothing there is also a good lesson never give up thats why jake is a role model he never gave up even know he was in a wheelchair.