All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 8, 2011

Avatar: Amazing visuals, unbelievably clichéd.

Avatar is an OK film with great special effects. I went to see it, mainly because of all the Oscar buzz it was getting. It was... nice, I guess. It has a completely unoriginal and clichéd storyline, but the visuals were good. Language and a little sex implied, but kids will thoroughly love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 5, 2011

Visually groundbreaking feast for the eyes is fine for tweens

While it isn't director James Cameron's best film (by far), it is still a fairly solid action movie punctuated by some truly groundbreaking special effects and cgi animation. I honestly believe that, what ever you opinion on the movie is, it is still worth seeing at least once because of the visuals. That said, it is a pretty standard action movie in terms for content, with some intense action and battle sequences near the end which result in some blood, some fairly salty language between marines and veiled partial nudity between the alien natives including a brief sex scene. If any tween's and up are a fan of James Cameron's movies or want to see some truly mind blowing visuals, than they should certainly check it out.
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2011

AMAZING!

this movie One of the best movies of 2009 and great in 3-D it was not like you were watching Pandora it was like you were walking on the freakin planet man ! zoe saldana did a perfect job playing Neytiri. GOOD JOB JAMES CAMERON!
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2011

Hmmmmmm

I was entertained, but it wasn't really my kind of movie.
Kid, 9 years old August 11, 2011

ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF 2009!!!!!

GREAT MOVIE IT WAS FANTASTIC IN 3-D. THIS MOVIE WAS NOT LIKE WACTHING 3-D IT WAS REALLY LIKE YOUR REALLY WALKING ON PANDORA AND THE EFFECTS WERE AMAZING IN 3-D PEOPLE THAT SAW IN 2-D YOU MISSED OUT BIG TIME JAMES CAMERON AS SAID THAT THERE WILL BE A TRILOGY. AND #2 WILL BE COMMING IN 2014 I AM ALREADY THERE!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydawtpbwv July 18, 2011

Avatar review

Avatar is an epic adventure with great role models and storyine. Language isn't too bad and violence isn't too much of an issue
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2011

Avatar isn't for young audiences.

My biggest concern was the very common use of adult language. The violence is not bloody so I have no worries about that. Howver the navi ear very little clothing, but they act and seem alien and are expected to dress like so.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy July 10, 2011

Good for 13+

Movie Outline: Avatar •Recommended Age: 13+ •Sexual Content: One scene starts with two characters passionately kissing, and the scene ends. They wake up next to each other, implying they had sex. The Navi also wear clothing that barely cover their privates; cleavage is shown in some scenes. One masturbation joke; some partial nudity.  •Violence: Though it isn't graphic, there is a ton of violence. However, it is mostly all in one scene that lasts about twenty minutes towards the end of the film. Characters are shot with guns and arrows; a few are stabbed. Bombs and missiles destroy the Navi's home, killing a lot of them. One scene shows a huge tree falling down, and Navi bodies are everywhere.  •Profanity: 4 or 5 uses of the word b*tch 11 uses of the word sh*t 5 uses of the word ass Uses of d*mn, h*ll, etc.  Some religious exclamations •Consumerism: None.  •Positive Messages: Helping people who need help? Doing what's right? I'm not really sure, I think none, though.  •Smoking/Drugs/Alcohol: Drinking is shown, and Grace CONSTANTLY smokes. There is one joke about her being crazy because of what she smokes.  Please look for more complete reviews from MovieReviewGuy!! commonsensemedia.org/user/moviereviewguy
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

Spectacular Movie with a Powerful message.

I would recommend this film for kids ages 12 and up. The main message for me was how ugly things can get once money is involved. The terrible people in the movie will destruct just about anything, no matter how beautiful, for money. The cash in the movie was about a substance under the Navi habitat that seemed to be the main intention to destroy everything. The main character bonds with the new race and in a way, becomes one of them. He is accepted but loses trust. How will he gain it back? You will just have to see the movie first. The graphics were amazing and I was taken by the gorgeous scenery. Sad and compelling, but very satisfying.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 1, 2011

Amazing imagery

Yes, the story is predictable, and you'll be able to know what happens as soon as the movie starts. However, the imagery of Pandora is fantastic, and that alone is enough reason to watch it all of the way through. Parents should be aware that it is very violent (very little blood, though) and has one intense make-out scene between two blue, feline aliens. The movie does teach lessons about nature and how far is too far when its inhabitants take from it.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2011

Why not call it Pochahontis In out of space?

Good movie. But can someone say Pochahontis? This movie was suck a rip-off.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydeathstalker June 23, 2011

Avatar movie

I think the movie was amazing
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2011

Avatar- No good for under 10

I was definetly expecting a little more, and the Na'vi were obviously ripped off the Native Americans. The visual effects were awesome, and you can find yourself thinking that there really is a Pandora out there. The messages were good with role models that shone. Alot of language was used, but older kids who aren't likely to cuss will ignore it. The script was very weak in alot of spots, but the female actors use it to there advantage. The violence wasn't to bloody, but very scary.
Teen, 16 years old Written byunderdawg June 20, 2011

good movie

avatar is bad because they cuss a few times with words like s**t ... its also very violent because its a war they are fighting in.its a little sexual because the avatars are dressed in very little clothing there is also a good lesson never give up thats why jake is a role model he never gave up even know he was in a wheelchair.
Adult Written byD-Fresh June 16, 2011

Overtly left-wing, great visuals and special effects

This movie is very left-wing, eco-focused, and anti-American. If you can get past that, the visuals are incredible and special effects are also very well done. Can't belive you gave it 4 out of 5 stars though... let's try not to be so overtly PC
Kid, 9 years old June 15, 2011

AVAawesomeness!

I think Avatar is a very good movie but has bad issues with kids. The blue creatures are shown almost naked but no actual private parts are shown. There is some violence like explosions and punching and hitting. Some scenes have bad words like s..t and pi.s and god..m and other words. If you have children that are less than ten years old don't take them to watch this movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2011

Really Cool Movie, For Tweens And Above Only

I saw this movie with low expectations. Boy was I wrong. I loved this movie, especially (of course) the special effects. A few boring parts, but nothing that makes the movie worse. The message in the movie is that we can live together in harmony with nature. But there are lots of intense scenes, such as explosions, shooting, a scene where one of the Na'vi is impaled, people attacked by large creatures, and people shot with bows and arrows. There is bad language like s--t, limp-d--ed, b-tch, d-mn, god d-mn, -ss, and h-ll. One character, Grace, smokes a lot. There is a scene where two characters have "mate".
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2011

A AWESOME MOVIE FULL OF ACTION!!!

This is a great movie that is full of good action (Not bloody per say, but a bit of blood, a minor deatil :) ) It is really sad because (Not to be racist) but the story is like the americans and the indians. They were there way befor us, the white man came because they wanted land (In movie turms, a kind of rock) so, the only solution, kill them! I fell bad for them.... But this is a great movie that has a good plot, setting, and conflict. I say, ON for ages 11+ because there is one part when they mate, but that isn't bad at all. the colors are amazing and everything was there wher it needed to be!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 9, 2011

Avatar: very good

Avatar is a true work of cinematic genius, combining themes of imperialism onto a stunning backdrop. It is beautiful to look at and the battle scenes are top-notch. Note to parents: The movie includes some violent battle scenes that go on at length, plenty uses of s--t, and some brief sensuality. I think most teens can handle it though. But I would think twice before sending an 11-year old.
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2011

Really Good

It was a really good movie. At some parts it was a little boring but overall a great movie. Kids under 12 could watch it and love it. But it depends on the parent and if they want there kid seeing this movie. I also like how it shows us that we should stick up for what is right and how it shows that humans like to play god a lot and some day they will be payed back......