Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 5, 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bymdpwilliams February 16, 2010
Okay, they're alien life forms, but their bodies resemble humans completely and the lack of clothing (bare breasts and nipples) were a problem for me. Most of the time, the females are covered - when viewed from the front, by a necklace, but there are 5 or 6 occasions where you get a good, clear profile of a bare breast with an erect nipple right in front of you. There's also a sex scene. You don't see any graphic hard core sex, but they make out and moan some. You have no doubt as to what they are doing, especially when she states after they finish (and she's straddling his lap) that they have now "mated for life".The storyline was great. I wasn't even bothered by the whole "Mother" of the planet topics. But to say that sex isn't an issue in this movie is misleading. If the nudity had been made clear, I would not have gone to see it. So, parents, if you wouldn't take your teen to a movie where they show a woman's bare breast in profile 5 or 6 times, don't take them to see this. The only difference between what you see in this movie and what you see in real life is that the breast in question is blue.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 10 year old Written byboyzintx January 10, 2010
After reading many reviews and talking to many other parents, I finally took my kids to see Avatar in 3D. They are boys aged 10 and 6. I did not think the violence was a concern at all. There was no blood and all of the action is seen from a distance. There were fire balls and explosives, but no close-ups of anyone dying. I also did not think the sensuality ended up being a concern. There is a brief kissing scene, and the term "mating" is then used as a synonym for marriage. There is never an overt reference to sex. The na'vi people wear very little clothing, and there are a few scenes shot from a distance where you can see the side of a female breast with nipple. Since it is from a distance and from the side it is mostly in shadow. Throughout the rest of the movie the breasts are mostly covered with ornate necklaces. I also was not concerned with this matter since these are a native people and not portrayed to be human or expected to be dressed as such. I did discuss this matter with my kids beforehand. The language is extremely rough and not used just in the battle scenes. The movie starts with adult language and the language is used throughout. Though I knew there was adult language in this film there was a lot more and more continuous use of adult language than I realized. This proved to be my largest concern, though I discussed this issue both before and after the film with my children. I think most of the language was gratuitous and did not add to the intensity of the film. Whether or not you take your child will need to hinge on whether or not you believe your child can hear these words and still have the maturity to know not to use these words. There are numerous uses of a**, sh**, g**-da**, and some terms that a curious child might want to have explained, such as limp-d*****.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion February 5, 2010

A Miraculous Experience...

AVATAR shows that James Cameron is truly one of his generation's finest directors. Not only has he mastered visual effects, animation, and 3-D to stunning effect, but he can always create plots and characters that are engaging, deep, and sympathetic. AVATAR is an absolutely stunning movie, and is the realization of the entire decade of movies striving towards perfect visuals. AVATAR is miraculous entertainment. It is positive, uplifting, entertaining, and down-right awe-inspiring. However, it is not for all kids. Violence is, for the most part, constant but non-graphic. However, there are several emotionally harrowing scenes that come towards the climax of the film that show the demise of major characters. The villain is menacing, but not scary. Actual sexual content is very brief and mild, aside from the fact that a lot of the film features the non-sexual nudity of the Na'vi. Language is a bigger issue than I though: there are almost constant "d**n"s, "a*s"s, "b***ard"s, and "b**ch"s. The movie plays up loyalty and sacrifice while condemning war and violence. While there are plenty of villains, all of the central characters are excellent role models. AVATAR is a must-see movie, but not for the family.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBest Mom January 14, 2010

See the movie first then take your child.

I saw this movie twice. First with my husband then with my 7 year old daughter. It was a fantastic 3-d movie! Just be aware of the language. Talk to your children about the movie. I explain to her about the movie before she saw it. My daughter loved the movie. We all loved the movie. It was the best 3-d movie I ever saw. Fantastic!
Adult Written byshavais January 11, 2010

too raunchy for 10

One 40 year old man's perspective - Being an avid sci-fi/fantasy fan from an early age, I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I personally think the 3D effects weren't nearly worth the money they spent on them, and I do agree with people who feel it lacked originality. I was much more concerned, however, about the impact the movie will have on my 10 year old nephew and his friends. Because this movie was rated PG, practically every kid is going to see it, at some point, which I think is a bit of a subtly-slid-in disaster for our culture. It's fairly clear to me that many, many modern single mothers are not really fully cognizant of the impact that sexual imagery (ie. nipple slips, nipples seen in shadows or through flimsy material, etc) and vulgar language has on young, developing male minds. No amount of talking, before or after, is going to reduce the impact. The idea that it will is a laughable misconception, imo, born out of the mother's need to reassure herself that she should be allowing what she's allowing. My take: If, after careful review, you feel a need to reassure yourself - don't.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byblissful January 18, 2010

Amazing movie that we will share with our boys in a few years when they're ready.

This is an excellent movie with a good message for older children. We prescreened it without the kids, and decided that the monsters were too scary for our 5 and 7 year old boys, and that the violence was so personal that it would upset them. Some day they will need to know that war is very real and that good people die in senseless ways. They will know about greed and evil, and we will not shelter them from that knowledge because it's part of growing up. But for now, this is way too mature and too much to put on their little shoulders. McDonalds should be ashamed for marketing this to young children with toys, making it seem like a kids' movie. That said, my husband and I loved it, and I think the right 11 or 12 year old would do well with this movie. The violence is not gratuitous. It is integral to the story, and it's disturbing, but it's supposed to be. It's an amazing movie that families with teens should see. Families with young children should get a babysitter so the grownups can see this in the theater. Very worth it.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bykjm January 10, 2010

Great for the imagery, not so much the story.

I saw Avatar in 3D and it was worth the money...only for the computer generated imagery. The scenery looked realistic and captured the imagination of "another world". The storyline was too predictable. I've watched enough Disney movies...Pocahontas, Atlantis, plus Fern Gully. For all the money they spent on the movie, I would expect an original plot.
Adult Written byDPet December 23, 2009

Mother Nature & Sex Change Allegory Candy Coated for your kids.

This movie is full of 'Mother Nature' new age crap candy coated with beautiful sci-fi action and 3-D. One of the 'moral choices' a character makes is to change is race to alien permanently teaching your kids that as long as you feel different than what you are its o.k. to change your physical being to be that person. With that in mind, this movie is beautifully 3-D, colorful, and interestingly written. I'm sorry but this movie is NOT appropriate for immature children.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFarmerDad January 28, 2010

Worst movie I have ever seen!!!

I have put up with bad movies, but this one I actually wanted to ask the theater for a refund for three reasons: 1 - I'm tired of the Hollywood messages underlying this movie (military is evil, corporations are greedy at any cost, whites are evil, natives are noble and environmentally green, etc. etc. Where's the barf bag with my ticket? I want to puke... 2 - The story is soooooooooo predictable from beginning to end (really there's not much of a story here. 3 - The language is awful The only thing the movie had going for it was the special effects which I saw in 2D --they'd definitely be better in 3D
Parent of a 6, 9, and 10 year old Written byhfreeman17 December 24, 2009

Pure entertainment, but with a strong underlying political/spiritual message

It's bias toward pantheism should cause monotheistic parents to prepare to talk about that issue. Good fodder for discussion on cultural sensitivities, capitalist exploitation vs. entrepreneurialism/value creation, and respect.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Nerdinator August 3, 2013

"We're not in Kansas anymore..."

This movie is amazing. The acting and CGI sucks you in. The script and plot are unforgettable. I don't see why people keep saying the story wasn't original. I found it very compelling. However... The one thing that really bugs me is that Jake and Neytiri have sex (it's not shown) while they first kiss... ??? A bit forced I'd have to say. Not needed either. Ew. Other than that, epic love story/actioner. It really doesn't have as much action as it looks. Positive messages- there are brilliant messages about racial and gender equality. Jake changes from a naive and oblivious young man to a wise and brave Navi. He doesn't let his dismembered legs stop him from fighting. Sex- the aliens obviously where skimpy clothing. Jake and Neytiri mate (it only starts with making out and straddling each other, you don't see the rest) and kiss. They talk about their mating the next day. Violence- both Navi and humans are killed brutally, whether shot or impaled. A giant tree is destroyed, killing many. Language- "son of a b^%$&", d$%#, sh%$, "what the h$#@", etc. Drugs- one character smokes. Consumerism- Avatar has lots of toys, games, etc. Avatar is an epic tale for both sci-fi and fantasy lovers! The ultimate popcorn pleaser!
Adult Written byMomofboyz May 18, 2010

Glad I saw it, sad I took my kids too early.

I wish I would have read this site prior to taking my 2 boys (ages 8 and 10) to see it. My husband and I sat there wondering if we should leave in the first 5 minutes of the film when every other word was "B***h" our fear was that the next word would be the F bomb! The mating scene fortunately (?) was preceded by enough kissing that my boys had already looked away before the intercourse act itself. Lastly, though we understand as adults that ex-military personnel may take on jobs that are military-like, but not actually working for the government (ie; Blackwater) younger children will just see this as the military/government choosing to hurt innocent people for monetary gain. Not that that isn't sometimes true, but it needs to be a discussion that the film doesn't provide. Which feels unpatriotic. Overall, amazing graphics, color and animation. Glad I saw it, sad I took my kids too early.
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

Please read my full review. Many different messages within the movie.

A "blur the lines" message is present throughout the whole film. The concentration of how "evil" the "aliens" are is ever-present and echoes concerns of actual certain governments presently on this Earth. Within 25 minutes of the movie, you will hear God's name used in vain 2-3 times. By the end of the film, God's name is 'damned' approximately 8 times. As an Evangelist and as a Youth Minister, I find the contents of this movie inappropriate for - 1) Young people, 16 and below. 2) Christians I actually went to the other room for about 30 minutes during this movie due to the overwhelming amount of language. There is a rule inside my home where, if God's name is used in vain, we cut the movie off. If it were a movie that I was showing, it wouldn't have made it to the 30 minute mark. I can remember in the early 80's how movies like this would automatically be rated R for such extreme language. Now, it is PG-13? Definitely shows the Moral Compass of Today's Society. There is a sub-masked meaning to this movie that does bring a good message but the overtones and characters that tell the story with their dialog are definitely NOT role models. Jake Sully, who is presumably "Adam" -- takes of the "fruit," is involved in a "sensual scene," takes God's name in vain a couple of times, turns on "his people," and is "reborn" as "Spirit-people" who "worship nature" mirroring somewhat of a "wiccan" setting. The movie had potential and if some scenes would have been changed and the language cleaned up, this could've been a classic. Unfortunately its nothing more than a "pop-movie" that will lose it's touch in a couple of years.
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written bymysim20 December 26, 2009
Ok so this movie is perfect for kids who dont get bored easily i mean theyll try to watch it most of the time but just want more action. yet the older ones will aprreciate the story,scenery and action scences. the main thing is that i cant think of one non enternaining part of this film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN January 14, 2010

Movie Man on Avatar

Avatar is a great movie. It has a lot of action that will make teens want to see it. The action is actually most of the movie. One part of the action is someone puts a sword through someone else's stomach. And this is a long movie. It is two hours and forty minutes which may be to long for young viewers. If you need to go to the bathroom go before it starts because you don't want to miss a second of this movie. There are a few problems though. There is language in it. Also a couple "mates" but they don't show anything. There is also some smoking. Also the women are half dressed. Besides those problems this movie is a movie you and your children don't want to miss but this movie is only appropriate for children 12 and up for the action and how the women are dressed.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviePringle October 28, 2010

One of the best mvies i've ever seen!

This movie was great the action was amazing the graphics really amazed me throughly! This movie is brilliant and i dont think you really need to be 13 to see it appropriatley. It is a wonderful movie and the characters are excellent!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byEdutain2ten April 15, 2010

Not for the little guys - PG13 is there for a reason

I heard conflicting reviews about the decency of the film for younger children (mine range from 4-11) and went to pre-screen it with their father and found many times us nodding "no way" to even our eldest seeing this due to innuendos all-throughout the film, forcibly/random cussing, etc... despite the enormity of genius and groundbreaking 3D execution. There were eco-political themes my kids could benefit from, but the sex-driven storyline was a bit much.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegurl March 24, 2010

Kinda violent.

I thought Avatar was a good movie, it had a really good message. It was really violent though, that's the only part that I really didn't like about it. There are a lot of cussing in the movie, but it wasn't too bad... It's really a good movie, and if you are thinking about taking your family to see it, I would suggest it... It's a little intense for anyone under age 12, but it's got great animation, and is a must see!
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2016

Visually stunning, but a little lengthy

This mind blowing yet slightly on the long side action/adventure/sci-fi movie revolves around a somewhat cliche idea, but brings in such elements as vivid and charismatic characters, a believable and complex plot, and stunning visual effects to produce an aesthetic, entertaining and overall worthwhile experience. Having that said, this may not be the best choice for younger kids; while children around the ages of ten and eleven should be fine, there's some blood, language, and scary/intense sequences, as well as disturbing and sad moments. (Spoiler Alert): important main characters (both humans and aliens) die tragic deaths and humans nonchalantly bring mass destruction upon a beautiful alien planet, killing tons of natives and forcing them to evacuate their home with missiles, poisonous gas, and more. The natives do fight back, and we see tons of casualties on both sides; some with blood, some without. Explosions are very frequent, and battle sequences are noisy, destructive and intense. There's also some PG-13 language and flirtatious material. However, TheProBros thinks that Avatar is a great choice for kids around the ages of eleven and up!