All member reviews for Avatar

Action-heavy epic has dazzling effects, familiar story.

Parent of a 5, 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bymdpwilliams February 16, 2010

Okay, they're alien life forms, but their bodies resemble humans completely and the lack of clothing (bare breasts and nipples) were a problem for me. Most of the time, the females are covered - when viewed from the front, by a necklace, but there are 5 or 6 occasions where you get a good, clear profile of a bare breast with an erect nipple right in front of you. There's also a sex scene. You don't see any graphic hard core sex, but they make out and moan some. You have no doubt as to what they are doing, especially when she states after they finish (and she's straddling his lap) that they have now "mated for life".The storyline was great. I wasn't even bothered by the whole "Mother" of the planet topics. But to say that sex isn't an issue in this movie is misleading. If the nudity had been made clear, I would not have gone to see it. So, parents, if you wouldn't take your teen to a movie where they show a woman's bare breast in profile 5 or 6 times, don't take them to see this. The only difference between what you see in this movie and what you see in real life is that the breast in question is blue.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 10 year old Written byboyzintx January 10, 2010

After reading many reviews and talking to many other parents, I finally took my kids to see Avatar in 3D. They are boys aged 10 and 6. I did not think the violence was a concern at all. There was no blood and all of the action is seen from a distance. There were fire balls and explosives, but no close-ups of anyone dying. I also did not think the sensuality ended up being a concern. There is a brief kissing scene, and the term "mating" is then used as a synonym for marriage. There is never an overt reference to sex. The na'vi people wear very little clothing, and there are a few scenes shot from a distance where you can see the side of a female breast with nipple. Since it is from a distance and from the side it is mostly in shadow. Throughout the rest of the movie the breasts are mostly covered with ornate necklaces. I also was not concerned with this matter since these are a native people and not portrayed to be human or expected to be dressed as such. I did discuss this matter with my kids beforehand. The language is extremely rough and not used just in the battle scenes. The movie starts with adult language and the language is used throughout. Though I knew there was adult language in this film there was a lot more and more continuous use of adult language than I realized. This proved to be my largest concern, though I discussed this issue both before and after the film with my children. I think most of the language was gratuitous and did not add to the intensity of the film. Whether or not you take your child will need to hinge on whether or not you believe your child can hear these words and still have the maturity to know not to use these words. There are numerous uses of a**, sh**, g**-da**, and some terms that a curious child might want to have explained, such as limp-d*****.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypbout January 6, 2010

language

too many God's in vain -- I do not care how good it is if it does that!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion February 5, 2010

A Miraculous Experience...

AVATAR shows that James Cameron is truly one of his generation's finest directors. Not only has he mastered visual effects, animation, and 3-D to stunning effect, but he can always create plots and characters that are engaging, deep, and sympathetic. AVATAR is an absolutely stunning movie, and is the realization of the entire decade of movies striving towards perfect visuals. AVATAR is miraculous entertainment. It is positive, uplifting, entertaining, and down-right awe-inspiring. However, it is not for all kids. Violence is, for the most part, constant but non-graphic. However, there are several emotionally harrowing scenes that come towards the climax of the film that show the demise of major characters. The villain is menacing, but not scary. Actual sexual content is very brief and mild, aside from the fact that a lot of the film features the non-sexual nudity of the Na'vi. Language is a bigger issue than I though: there are almost constant "d**n"s, "a*s"s, "b***ard"s, and "b**ch"s. The movie plays up loyalty and sacrifice while condemning war and violence. While there are plenty of villains, all of the central characters are excellent role models. AVATAR is a must-see movie, but not for the family.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byblissful January 18, 2010

Amazing movie that we will share with our boys in a few years when they're ready.

This is an excellent movie with a good message for older children. We prescreened it without the kids, and decided that the monsters were too scary for our 5 and 7 year old boys, and that the violence was so personal that it would upset them. Some day they will need to know that war is very real and that good people die in senseless ways. They will know about greed and evil, and we will not shelter them from that knowledge because it's part of growing up. But for now, this is way too mature and too much to put on their little shoulders. McDonalds should be ashamed for marketing this to young children with toys, making it seem like a kids' movie. That said, my husband and I loved it, and I think the right 11 or 12 year old would do well with this movie. The violence is not gratuitous. It is integral to the story, and it's disturbing, but it's supposed to be. It's an amazing movie that families with teens should see. Families with young children should get a babysitter so the grownups can see this in the theater. Very worth it.
Adult Written byshavais January 11, 2010

too raunchy for 10

One 40 year old man's perspective - Being an avid sci-fi/fantasy fan from an early age, I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I personally think the 3D effects weren't nearly worth the money they spent on them, and I do agree with people who feel it lacked originality. I was much more concerned, however, about the impact the movie will have on my 10 year old nephew and his friends. Because this movie was rated PG, practically every kid is going to see it, at some point, which I think is a bit of a subtly-slid-in disaster for our culture. It's fairly clear to me that many, many modern single mothers are not really fully cognizant of the impact that sexual imagery (ie. nipple slips, nipples seen in shadows or through flimsy material, etc) and vulgar language has on young, developing male minds. No amount of talking, before or after, is going to reduce the impact. The idea that it will is a laughable misconception, imo, born out of the mother's need to reassure herself that she should be allowing what she's allowing. My take: If, after careful review, you feel a need to reassure yourself - don't.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bysassysas March 30, 2015

Can your kids handle it?

This is great sci-fi movie with amazing graphics and a stunning display of directing, but you really should be sure your kids are ready for it first. My ten-year old (technically nine, but almost ten) was off at a sleepover, so I sat down with my son and watched this movie with him. The ending is extremely violent, involving bombs, gases, guns, gunships, etc. Many characters die, but aren't shown bloody, merely falling or their area exploding. The Avatars are only fighting back because the humans destroyed their home, which is a good reason for war in my book. :-) Sexuality was okay for my older kids. The male Navi wear loincloths and that's it, while the women wear necklaces to cover their you-know-whats (keeping it cool for the kids on this site). All of the basic swear words are used including s--t, b---h, and others. The same four characters are always swearing and, the good thing is, they usually have a reason. Other than all that, the movie heartfelt, revolving around an other-wordly relationship and an adventure to find true identity.
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

good movie not for really little kids though.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFarmerDad January 28, 2010

Worst movie I have ever seen!!!

I have put up with bad movies, but this one I actually wanted to ask the theater for a refund for three reasons: 1 - I'm tired of the Hollywood messages underlying this movie (military is evil, corporations are greedy at any cost, whites are evil, natives are noble and environmentally green, etc. etc. Where's the barf bag with my ticket? I want to puke... 2 - The story is soooooooooo predictable from beginning to end (really there's not much of a story here. 3 - The language is awful The only thing the movie had going for it was the special effects which I saw in 2D --they'd definitely be better in 3D
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBest Mom January 14, 2010

See the movie first then take your child.

I saw this movie twice. First with my husband then with my 7 year old daughter. It was a fantastic 3-d movie! Just be aware of the language. Talk to your children about the movie. I explain to her about the movie before she saw it. My daughter loved the movie. We all loved the movie. It was the best 3-d movie I ever saw. Fantastic!
Adult Written byDPet December 23, 2009

Mother Nature & Sex Change Allegory Candy Coated for your kids.

This movie is full of 'Mother Nature' new age crap candy coated with beautiful sci-fi action and 3-D. One of the 'moral choices' a character makes is to change is race to alien permanently teaching your kids that as long as you feel different than what you are its o.k. to change your physical being to be that person. With that in mind, this movie is beautifully 3-D, colorful, and interestingly written. I'm sorry but this movie is NOT appropriate for immature children.
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

Please read my full review. Many different messages within the movie.

A "blur the lines" message is present throughout the whole film. The concentration of how "evil" the "aliens" are is ever-present and echoes concerns of actual certain governments presently on this Earth. Within 25 minutes of the movie, you will hear God's name used in vain 2-3 times. By the end of the film, God's name is 'damned' approximately 8 times. As an Evangelist and as a Youth Minister, I find the contents of this movie inappropriate for - 1) Young people, 16 and below. 2) Christians I actually went to the other room for about 30 minutes during this movie due to the overwhelming amount of language. There is a rule inside my home where, if God's name is used in vain, we cut the movie off. If it were a movie that I was showing, it wouldn't have made it to the 30 minute mark. I can remember in the early 80's how movies like this would automatically be rated R for such extreme language. Now, it is PG-13? Definitely shows the Moral Compass of Today's Society. There is a sub-masked meaning to this movie that does bring a good message but the overtones and characters that tell the story with their dialog are definitely NOT role models. Jake Sully, who is presumably "Adam" -- takes of the "fruit," is involved in a "sensual scene," takes God's name in vain a couple of times, turns on "his people," and is "reborn" as "Spirit-people" who "worship nature" mirroring somewhat of a "wiccan" setting. The movie had potential and if some scenes would have been changed and the language cleaned up, this could've been a classic. Unfortunately its nothing more than a "pop-movie" that will lose it's touch in a couple of years.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegurl March 24, 2010

Kinda violent.

I thought Avatar was a good movie, it had a really good message. It was really violent though, that's the only part that I really didn't like about it. There are a lot of cussing in the movie, but it wasn't too bad... It's really a good movie, and if you are thinking about taking your family to see it, I would suggest it... It's a little intense for anyone under age 12, but it's got great animation, and is a must see!
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2010

Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2010

Great Movie

I liked this movie a lot when i saw it, but with younger kids, be careful. there is some scary images, and a LOT of swearing; basically every word but f**** . Also, there is a scene of "mating" which really just is kissing but can be interpreted differently by a young kid. its also really long, so if you get bored with long movies maybe not the one for you... but still it was a great movie with a positive message and good brave role models!
Adult Written byamiellen January 28, 2010

Highly entertaining - recommend.

This is a really good movie - my kids ages 13, 15, 17 all loved it, as did my husband and I. It is a re-run of familiar plots - Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc... But the 3D version was awesome. I found some of the previous reviews interesting - they objected to the Americans being killed in the story - yet had no problem with the fact that the Americans were slaughtering the indigenous people in order to profit from their world's natural resources? It's an old story, but deplorable all the same - for most anyway.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN January 14, 2010

Movie Man on Avatar

Avatar is a great movie. It has a lot of action that will make teens want to see it. The action is actually most of the movie. One part of the action is someone puts a sword through someone else's stomach. And this is a long movie. It is two hours and forty minutes which may be to long for young viewers. If you need to go to the bathroom go before it starts because you don't want to miss a second of this movie. There are a few problems though. There is language in it. Also a couple "mates" but they don't show anything. There is also some smoking. Also the women are half dressed. Besides those problems this movie is a movie you and your children don't want to miss but this movie is only appropriate for children 12 and up for the action and how the women are dressed.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byshimmerlake January 2, 2010

good rating, breath of new imagination

Loved it! The rating is good, my grandkids are a little young for it, 8 & 7. Good values are in the movie, a very wonderful breath of imagination. All the stuff out there doesn't use imagination like this. I'd be proud to have all of the creators as a neighbor.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2009

basicly fine for any mature child no matter of age.

I absouloutly love this film. I wasnt so big on termanator, but this movie deserves a grammy for best picture. I only hated the ultmate bad guy lived so long. he was very evil. i also like this movie because most of the charectars were very nice and good. but the bad guys were way to much. the sex was mild and brief, no blood, just action, and some moderately strong language. all in all an incredible movie.
Written byAnonymous October 2, 2014

Avatar review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: The Na'vi people are aliens, but they are humanoid creatures. They dress in a tribal way, and we see their backsides (not fully covered by their tails) quite a bit. The men wear only loincloths, and the women wear loincloths and ornamental, stringy necklaces as bras. Their breasts are partially seen through these necklaces and from the sides at several points during the movie. A brief sex scene between Jake and Neytiri shows the two kissing and beginning to passionately caress each other. Jake then lifts Neytiri onto him, and she begins to moan as they embrace passionately. There is no nudity, but they wake together the next morning, and Neytiri explains they are "mated for life." In the extended edition, this scene includes the two touching their tails together, implying they can "feel" each other (as explained earlier in the film). Both Jake and Dr. Augustine are stripped naked (in human form) and wrapped in vines for a special Na'vi ritual. Their backsides are seen partially, but critical nudity is hidden. A few sexual jokes and lines are tossed about, including a masturbation quip from Dr. Augustine ("don't play with that, you'll go blind" when she sees an Avatar playing with its tail). 5/10. ========================================================= Violence: Controlling his new Na'vi avatar body, Jake accidental causes some damage with his tail. An enormous, rhino-type creature charges at Jake, with Grace telling him it's just a territorial threat and not to shoot as that will only "piss him off." Jake makes a bunch of noise and the creature turns and rushes away, not because of his actions, but because of a huge predator that leaps over him and goes after that and other similar creatures. It then turns back toward him, with Grace yelling for him to run. He does, with it in hot pursuit. He tries hiding down in the root structure of a tree, but the creature repeatedly tears at that with its mouth and claws (with various close calls). He fires his machine gun at it, but it grabs and flings the gun away, causing him to run off again, with it in pursuit once again. It catches him and bites into his backpack, picking him up by that and then flings him away with a shake of its head. He then runs again, jumping off a cliff just in time as it lunges at him, stopping short on the cliff as he falls a long distance into the water below. Jake finds himself in the jungle at night, with the sounds of creatures all around. He quickly lights a makeshift torch and uses that to try to ward off the approaching, scary-looking dog-type creatures that now surround him. They end up attacking, with him hitting some with his torch, followed by using his knife to slice and stab others. He then has to hold one at bay as it's on top of him, but Neytiri shoots that one and others with arrows. She then stabs more and uses something to hit more of the creatures. She then does a mercy killing of an injured one, but we don't see the actual fatal blow. Neytiri whacks Jake (in avatar form) to the ground, upset about animals she had to kill to defend him. A rope thing is thrown around Jake's legs (in avatar form), causing him to fall, while arrows are aimed at him by Tsu'tey and others. Jake (in avatar form) falls off a horse like creature when first trying to ride it. Neytiri playfully whacks Jake (in avatar form). During training where Neytiri shows Jake (in avatar form) how to fall gracefully through the jungle, he tries the same but crashes and smashes his way to the jungle floor. Jake (in avatar form) fires an arrow in a creature and then finishes it off with a knife (hunting for food), but we don't see the direct impact of either. As Jake (in avatar form) and Neytiri fly on their individual large birds, a much bigger predator bird then chases after them, crashing through trees and such trying to get them (they barely get away). With Jake (in avatar form) in a deep sleep due to Jake being out of his connection chamber elsewhere, huge construction machinery approaches him and Neytiri, with her panicking to wake Jake. A huge tree is knocked over and nearly hits them, with Jake (in avatar form) finally regaining consciousness once the real Jake gets back into his chamber. Jake (in avatar form) then tries to stop the machinery, including bashing the cameras on top of one, followed by a machine gun fired at him. Tsu'tey pushes Jake (in avatar form) to the ground. The two then fight, with Jake avoiding all but one slice of Tsu'tey's dagger. When Quaritch pulls the plug on the real Jake elsewhere, Jake (in avatar form) goes limp, and Tsu'tey prepares to slice his throat, but Neytiri knocks him aside. In the other location, Quaritch then punches the real Jake in the face. Upon learning of Jake (in avatar form)'s initial mission, Neytiri shoves him back. We then see that her people have him and Grace tied up. The Na'vi fire arrows at the approaching military choppers to no avail, followed by the latter firing noxious gas and then missiles that cause a volley of explosions. The next round of them blows various Na'vi aside by the blasts and shock waves. As the military continues to blast a gargantuan tree, Na'vi deaths are suggested. When the tree finally falls, it and its pieces crush various Na'vi (not seen in full). Neytiri finds her mortally wounded father who has a large piece of wood sticking through his torso. He then dies, causing her much grief. Norm punches one soldier. Trudy holds her gun on a guard and then uses that to knock the man unconscious while freeing others. As Trudy starts to fly off in a chopper with others, Quaritch opens fire on the craft, first with a machine gun and then his handgun. The chopper gets away, but Grace then shows she's been shot somewhere in her torso (she shows blood on her hand). A massive, multi-minute air and ground battle breaks out between the human soldiers and the Na'vi. During that, Na'vi (and their personal bird rides) are hit by gunfire and missile explosions, while various choppers are hit and explode, including one crashing into another. Arrows also hit various soldiers, while missiles and machine guns are fired at Jake (in avatar form) as he flies on his bird. Missiles are also fired at Trudy who then fires back with machine guns, but her chopper is later hit and goes out of control. Neytiri's bird is hit and she crashes hard to the ground, while Tsu'tey shoots arrows into many and hits and throws others on a chopper before being shot and falling a long way toward the ground. A chopper explodes, while Norm's avatar is hit. During this, Neytiri ends up hiding behind a lone tree as armed forces approach. Just then, massive, armored rhino type creatures crash through the forest and smash through soldiers and their machinery, while a huge predator approaches Neytiri, but doesn't attack her. Huge birds then attack choppers from the air, including one grabbing a soldier and throwing him out. shoots many soldiers atop a large ship with a machine gun, and then throws a grenade into an engine, resulting in a massive explosion and crashing of that ship (as he jumps off and back onto his bird). then tries that again on Quaritch's ship, but the latter grabs the control and causes to slip and dangle from the side, while his grenade misses the engine, but still explodes and causes damage. Quaritch then shoots who falls off and down through the jungle, while the massive explosives payload slides back into the ship and explodes, just as Quaritch manages to leap out in a large robot. Quaritch heads toward a camper of sorts in which Jake is in his tube controlling his avatar. Just then, Neytiri -- riding a huge predator -- jumps onto Quaritch and the big robot he's controlling from within it. The predator and robot battle, with Quaritch eventually using the robot to stab the beast repeatedly, killing it and causing Neytiri to be trapped beneath its body. Quaritch's robot then battles Jake (in avatar form) with various blows and close calls with large knives both ways, with the robot eventually throwing aside. It then lifts by his ponytail and prepares to slice him, but Neytiri fires two huge arrows into Quaritch's torso. 6/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: We hear that Jake's brother was murdered by a robber, and we briefly see a non-bloody view of his face and torso in a body bag. About others and meant as a metaphor, Grace states, "They're just pissing on us" and then adds something about without the courtesy of calling it rain (or something along those lines). Quaritch makes a coarse comment that the Pandora world "Will sh*t you out dead." Quaritch has various large scars on his face. Neytiri's mother pricks Jake (in avatar form) with something that she then runs through her mouth to taste his blood (not seen). We briefly see a dead Na'vi in the fetal position for burial (no blood, just the body). Jake has a tiny bit of blood on his cheek from where Quaritch punched him. Grace shows blood on her hand after touching an unseen bullet wound somewhere on her torso. We see a shot (via a needle) going into Grace's arm. Quaritch has blood on his face during a battle. 6/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 10 "s" words, 1 slang term for male genitals ("d*ck"), 5 hells, 4 asses, 4 damns, 3 craps, 3 bitches, 1 S.O.B., and 7 uses of "G-damn," 2 of "Jesus" and 1 use each of "For Christ's sakes," "My God," "Oh God" and Oh my God" as exclamations. 5.5/10. ========================================================= Jake mentions tequila in voice-over narration. After Grace tries to warn the humans about the global network of life and consciousness among the trees and such on Pandora, Parker sarcastically asks, "What the hell have you people been smoking out there?" Jake states on his video diary that the Na'vi won't be making any deals with the humans, not for light beer or blue jeans. Grace has a drink. Having succeeded at blasting a huge tree to the ground, Quaritch tells his team that the first round (of drinks) is on him. 2.5/10. ========================================================= Grace smokes several times. When Grace comes out of cryo-sleep, she immediately asks, "Who's got my G*ddamn cigarette?" 3/10. ========================================================= Avatar is a great film with great visual effects, I definitely recommend it. I give it a 7/10. =========================================================