Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for A.X.L.

Pro-STEM twist in often violent sci-fi boy-and-"dog" tale.

Adult Written byDakotaCarmelo August 24, 2018

No cursing

Parent Written byChristy R. August 30, 2018

arson and bullying

This was a good movie, I think it should have been rated PG-13. This movie was about a group of teenagers. One of the teenagers was a bully and used arson. He burned a dog, which was really brutal. There were also some horror moments, where the red-eyed-robot-dog was hunting humans. I took my eight year old son and regretted it.

Adult Written byLuckySeattleMom September 15, 2018

Should be PG-13

AXL is a good movie that can’t decide what it wants to be. Others have captured the violent aspects and the bullying, it is also full of rampant drinking and partying by what appear to be minors. For some families, it will be fine. For my child, I regret that I didn’t read CSM’s review and instead relied on the PG rating. Never again. My child had horrible nightmares.

Adult Written byDragoness0000 September 9, 2018

Amazing movie

This is an amazing movie! The language is low key so no worries about cussing, no nudity, very little violence. The only down side is it can be a little heart wrenching for a younger child when the dog almost dies and has to be rebuilt and then explodes. It is fun and great for all ages even younger kids if they watch with their parents so they can talk to them about what is happening. Also downside is kids will probably start asking their parents for a robot dog...lol.... PS. Not sure why but it says adult next to my review instead of parent since I am a parent of a 9 year old.

Parent Written byCarolineJ 1 August 30, 2018

I like this movie alot

I like this movie. And it was a familymovie. But it was little much avenger. It was little dark movie too. But not for younger kids.

Adult Written byzootopiafan9000t August 24, 2018

This Is A Movie For 6 and Up

AXL is like a good movie, check it out This is probably the cleanest movie that you will ever see in the entertainment world now days which I personally like. when there isn’t any swearing or when movies don’t add a lot of sexual scenes in it that’s what I think a lot of movies and Directors are getting wrong. They think that in order for a movie to be any good there has to be a lot of swearing and lots of Sexual Scenes. This is how all movies should like.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTeanna B. March 26, 2019

Transformers meets Mowgli meets Fast and Furious

Smarter than I expected from the trailers, this film is superficially a lot of vrooming engines, flying dirt bikes and girls trying to look cute. Underneath that is a good hearted humble hero boy trying to make the right decisions, scientists maybe making the wrong decisions, and questions about technology and how we use it: to protect our soldiers? Or to kill more efficiently? AXL the robot wardog demonstrates how high tech can both be dangerous and beneficial/protective. The (not necessarily evil) humans, military and scientific, around him demonstrate the potential we have to misuse our technology. Much use is made of AXL's viewpoint through a screen display that viewers can read (as they might in a video game), lots of story and character development info there which would be lost on younger kids who can't read that fast, but a clever storytelling device for older kids and adults. A chaste romance/friendship, an ending that involves sacrifice... and hope... and both hero kids going off to college to learn more about their own gifts in science and art. This film feels like the pilot episode for a potential series. At least it might inspire some discussions or fanfiction about what happens next. Clever parents can discuss the decisions characters make, and how technology affects us, good or bad. And whether there were enough intelligent, strong role models for girls, or whether it was all about trying to look cute and get the boy (while the girl is shown helping to rebuild AXL at one point, she is no Captain Marvel).
Adult Written bysyberia97 December 19, 2018

Family Movie

Really good and exciteing move, there are some scenes but not brutal, wish it will be continued
Adult Written byrobertalavoine October 26, 2018

awesome film

I think this film is great to watch with the family and friends really good movie. I just hope they make another :).

Adult Written byNeon 99 January 5, 2019

Lazy cliche filled rehash of superior films

Axl is a dissapointing disjointed mess of a film. From the very concept alone i was already rolling my eyes and as the film progresses it just gets worse as we see a rehashed story with rehashed characters and rehashed plot points most of which stolen from et ( just watch that instead it is a tad more mature but of higher quality) that have been done a million times. Not to mention the bland camera work and lighting that make this film so difficult to sit through as you're just overcome with visual boredom. The only positive is the campy tone. Just don't take your kids to this they deserve higher quality media than this
Adult Written byWendyDomino March 25, 2019

I've seen this movie before.

To me this seemed like a remake of Monster Trucks, the 2016 movie which has almost exactly the same characters and plot. It's completely unoriginal. It also has some scary moments where characters are in danger. The dog is a weapon of war and has no real moral compass of its own. It only follows the orders of its paired human. It doesn't see killing people as being wrong in its own right and attempts to revenge hunt one character, leading to a particularly nightmarish scene with red eyes in the dark at a gas station that could give small kids nightmares.

Adult Written byPaula G. January 22, 2019

VIOLENCE AND CRUELTY

should be rated pg 13. this movie has alot of cruelty in it. the dog is burned by a torch blower...i was rooting for the dog to bite. if it were a real dog this movie would be banned

Adult Written byKelsey8998 April 7, 2019

Meh

The movie isn’t bad, but it’s not really good either. The “love interest” for Miles is exactly what you’d expect. A young, pretty girl in a belly shirt who’s “tougher than other girls”. It’s fun to watch Miles and AXL run around together but Miles went from terrified to concerned for the robot very quickly. I feel like they should’ve given them more time to bond. They literally met and became best friends in about 10 minutes. Other than that, it’s kinda sweet. Younger kids could probably see past all the bad writing but certainly makes it hard to watch for adults.
Adult Written byKimberlie young March 23, 2019

Very interesting/ capturing movie, great plot . really appreciate a good movie.. This was wonderful... Really hop9for a part 2 thats just as good!!!

Adult Written byFireangel04 January 21, 2019

A.X.L amazing movie

when is part 2? This movie was awsome
Adult Written byCoenhenry January 18, 2019

Awesome

Very good movie hoping to see a part 2 soon
Adult Written byMykel uche April 18, 2019

My best movie ever

A nice and inspiring movie

Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written bygracelager April 17, 2019

Mature Situations

I watched this with my 8.5 year old. After reading the reviews here we discussed, in advance, some of what we'd see and what might be problematic or inappropriate. When we watched the film I was very dismayed by the mature situations that were consistently depicted such as teen age parties with underaged drinking and inappropriate behavior such as property destruction and lying to parents or being gone for multiple days and nights without telling parents. Overall the main characters Myles and Sarah are realistic teenage characters who make good and bad decisions. They try to problem solve on their own. When they do seek adult advice it is mostly disregarded. The positives of the film are friendship, standing up to bullies, being yourself. A good movie but I think the age rating is way too young.