All member reviews for Azur & Asmar: The Princes' Quest

Foreign fairy tale teaches cultural understanding.

Parent Written byCharade April 1, 2011

Refreshing, poetic, beautiful!

(As a frenchspeaker family, we watched "Azur & Asmar" in its original soundtrack.) With this movie, we discovered and enjoyed a new rythm, a new tone, a new aesthetic, a new way to tell a story, far away from the "all-the-same" movies we usually watch. Refreshing, poetic, beautiful!
Parent Written byDecaturMamma July 10, 2010

RAVISHING Visuals and An Outstanding Story

This French animated film is extremely popular at our house-- we've rented it 3-4 times and checked it out of the library twice. I just have to give in and buy our own copy. Both my children love it, as do my husband and I. It is the story of two boys who are raised by the same woman, mother to one and nanny to the other. They are like brothers when they are small and are later separated. Many adventures later, they are reunited and must get over their initial resentments to return to their former love for each other and to complete their quest for the Djinn Fairy. This story, on its own, is visually stunning, and an excellent adventure tale. It has peril, magic, friendship, prejudice (overcome), persistence, and wisdom. However, it is so much more: an allegory about tolerance and believing in yourself and following your own path. Watch it and fall in love.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byStillman December 22, 2011

Beautiful film

This movie is done in beautiful colors but the animation is very different from what most are used to. My sons LOVE this movie. I think the messages are good. It's nice to see an animated movie where the "princes" are center stage.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byQuQu June 6, 2011

EXCELLENT

Excellent. Beautiful animation. Interesting, engaging story. Brings up issues of cultural intolerance and the benefits and need for cultural understanding. Definitively worth seeing. Children and adults will enjoy it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byDMickle February 27, 2011

Great picture for kids 5 an older.

We watched this as a family while on vacation and I really liked it, as did my 5 year old daughter. It is fantasy. The 2 main characters (brothers) go through some tough situation and ultimately sacrifice for one another. I think in a world of "Disney" this is a nice change. I would suggest watching it together to help answer questions or navigate some of the content. The other review is spot on.