All parent member reviews for Babe

Educator and Parent of an infant and 4 year old Written bysagira April 9, 2008

Wonderful movie perfect for young children

Babe is a story about a nice pig with manners that breaks down barriers of prejudice. He's a lovable, honest character, but strong as well. A good role model. Very entertaining as well. I must have watched it ten times of my own accord, and I'm an adult.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bycsumner April 13, 2009

Great film but think carefully about what you'll serve kids to eat afterwards

This is a great film, very sweet and heartwarming, but the realities of farm life may be strong for young viewers. My 5yo was aware that some farm animals are raised to be eaten, but that indistinct awareness didn't quite prepare her for the frank discussions about eating animals that are present in the film or for the more serious concept that the farmer kills the animals in order to eat them. I had very fond memories of the 2nd half of the film (Babe at the sheepdog competition), but had forgotten how brutally honest the film is about where food comes from in the first half. I'm not saying that this is bad information (it's a fair take on farm life, albeit with talking animals), just that many parents may not be prepared to discuss these details with a 5yo (especially as many adults don't want to face those realities themselves).
Parent of a 4, 6, and 10 year old Written bykbayfeld April 9, 2008

Not really for young kids

I actually like the movie, but think it has harsh language and violence. The sheep and the dogs are at odds and each think the other is stupid...there is a good message in the end, but for younger audiences the focus might be on the words rather than the resolution. BUT...the biggest issue I have with the movie is the violent relationship between the two dogs that are like a married couple. He acts like a typical abusive partner and she comes across as the typical abuse victim prior to getting out of the relationship. She makes excuses for his abusive behaviors. I think adults should be very careful about letting young children see these parts of the movie without some discussion. But aside from these issues, it is otherwise a very cute movie that ends well with good lessons for mature enough audiences.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byshmrd December 23, 2010

What are you talking about?

Wow. Is everyone here desensitized to violence & scariness? Watched too much television & think this is mild in comparison? I haven't watched television in over a decade, & maybe it's made me naive, but sheesh! My 4.5-year-old was totally freaked out by this film. He hated it. It was WAY too violent & scary for him. And I'm vegan, & he's a vegetarian, & I've previously made him aware of what farms are about . . . & this STILL freaked him out. Going by comments from parents on this & other, similar boards, I rented this movie, thinking there were two or three intense scenes & that the rest of it would be cute & funny. Well, it is basically nonstop action, violence, & fright, with two or three cute, funny scenes. He and I watched some of it together, & then he made me turn it off . . . I watched the rest of it after he went to bed; that's the only way I know that it was just more of the same. Guess I'll just have to screen it myself next time; I can't go by what's on these boards.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

One of my guilty pleasures.

I love this movie.Good thing CSM made up for bagging Zookeeper.Its nice nice,exciting,cute,and amazing movie!
Adult Written byhurvio January 3, 2009
Parent Written byWaldorf Mom July 5, 2012

Lovely movie but need to fast forward parts for the sensitive kid

We have a very sensitive 5 year old. He really enjoys this movie but it is not one that he wants to watch very often. We have to fast forward a couple of scenes that are a little violent (with the wolves and with the farmer getting the gun out). Also, it taught my kids the word butthead. Wish I could take that back! But it is a lovely movie that makes me feel wonderful everytime I see it.
Parent Written byagentgodiva February 3, 2011

Scary and sad

It's scary and sad! My son (who is very sensitive, I admit) cried three times and kept running out of the room.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008

Unique Creation

The first of two movies-this one is clearly a great example of family friendly entertainment. It is a truly unique creation and communicates good lasting values. A caution for those 3 and under - some sequences may be violent and dark so you will need to be there to explain what's happening.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Not the best for the under 3 set

Cute but not excessively cute portrayal of animals. Kids may miss some of the nuance but they still get the point. The under 3s may be upset that Babe could get eaten or be scared when the dogs attack the sheep. Some kids may also have trouble understanding the farmer's accent the first time thru but they'll get used to it. When my 5 yo allows my husband to pick the movie, this is always his first choice. Read the book to your preschooler too. The movie follows the story line quite well and it's a good early chapter book. Skip Pig in the City tho - too dark.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur April 6, 2015

good old fashioned family fun

I used to watch this all the time when I was a kid, this is a really funny family comedy :-), and I really liked Hugo weaving's performance as Rex, I thought he did a phenomenal job
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 11, 2013

Such a sweet story!

This is by far one of the sweetest movies ever. Common Sense nailed it this time in the main review. It's a very loveable and inspiring story. As mentioned, there are some scary moments, and a few insults are hurled. Sheep, pigs, ducks, and chickens are said to be "definitely stupid", hence they are eaten at Christmas time. The sheep also call all dogs wolves, because many dogs have attacked them (and in one scene, a loveable elderly ewe is killed, but it is handled rather decently.) But Babe is definitely a positive role model, for he, as the narrator tells us, has an unprejudiced heart. He's a little pig with a big heart of gold and he goes a long way as a result. Overall: 10/10 a highly recommended movie (I've seen it since I was two and have always felt this way).
Parent of a 7 year old Written byvinegarchick June 11, 2012

Best movie ever

Top pick movie for me. Saw it in the theater and fell in love with this movie. Not sure if six is old enough. Some scenes as mentioned seem a bit too scary if child is sensitive. Had our daughter at 61/2 watch movie and she was a bit scared. She really gets involved in any movie, like she is living in it, so parts like Rex attacking Fly and other dogs killing the sheep were too much.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byAmyVZ November 14, 2010

I have loved this movie since I first saw in the theater back in my nannying days. My son is four and we watched it for the first time the other day. He did not seem frightened by the content but did have some questions, particularly about Fly and Rex's puppies and when some of the animals are taken away to slaughter. We've talked about carnivores vs. vegetarians before but seeing the animals talk with one another about being eaten generates different thoughts and feelings than picking up a package of bacon in the grocery store. There are countless opportunities to discuss the relationships among the animals with your children and how assumptions about other creatures and their way of life can result in baseless prejudice and discrimination. In my mind, this movie’s message has never been more relevant.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

A New Classic

I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy this heartwarming tale of a pig who is nurtured by a mother-figure border collie and thus, thinks that he too should be herding sheep. The animals "talk" to one another and the topic of stereotypes and discrimination/bias are handled in a positive way. The issue of animals being bred to be eaten is present but could only disturb the most sensitive of very young viewers. There is a brief scene of animal poaching but it is not violent. There is a shotgun present in a scene where the farmer considers slaughtering the pig but again, no violence. This film leaves you feeling good and presents many positive themes for kids. (The scene with the duck -- who thinks he's a rooster -- trying to make off with the alarm clock is too cute!) Good for young kids but also entertaining for adults.
Adult Written byBritMom April 9, 2008