All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byJazzLad February 20, 2013

Some quantifications

*** Language *** Some reviews mention 'mild swearing' and some mention 'constant swearing' so how does a parent know who is right? Here are some statistics pulled directly from the subtitles: sh** is said 4 times, d*** 16 times, bas**** 5 times (why can the main review type that word but I cannot?), a** 3 times including used once with the word hole, hell is said 8 times, b**** is used 3 times, God is used as an exclamation 12 times including twice followed by the word d***, Jesus is used as an exclamation 9 times including twice followed by Christ. These were just the words it occurred to me to search, this is 58 different instances (not counting compound swears twice) of profanity/taking the Lord's name in vain - even if the latter doesn't bother you (not everyone is Christian), it is still 39 times. In addition to this, other reviews mention numerous examples of name calling (like peckerwood). *** Violence/sexual content *** Sorry to lump these together, but in the case of this movie, there is overlap. Doc is killed/appears to be killed by terrorists with automatic rifles. Marty's dad is a peeping-tom in a tree with binoculars (watching Marty's mother in a state of partial dress). Marty suggests he pretend to date-rape his own mother so that his father can be a hero and rescue her. Biff attempts to rape Marty's mother. None of these were particularly graphic. *** Positive messages *** Marty is a great kid who (generally) tries to do the right thing. *** Final thoughts *** An edited version of this movie could be great for kids and adults alike. In my opinion, the language it is too pervasive even for me to want to watch it with my wife without being edited (at 112 minutes long, it averages something I do not want to hear every 1min 53sec [not including name-calling] - worse than many PG13 and even many R rated movies). If people taking the Lord's name in vain is particularly offensive to you (as it is to many Christians), you will likely be quite offended by the pervasiveness of that in this movie - at 19 times it averages once every 5min 53sec. I also found it interesting that Common Sense Media says the movie has content age-appropriate for 8 year olds, but yet there were 31 usages of words that they do not allow in their reviews. I do not claim this review to be comprehensive, an apologize if I have offended anyone's sensibilities - but please note, the movie is more graphic than this review of it (if the review offends you, do not watch the film!).
Parent Written byMike Amster July 21, 2011

8 years old......Really?!?!?

8 Years old ?!?!?!?!?! Not even taking the language into account or the graphic murder of Doc, who feels that a central plot theme that involves attempted date rape is appropriate movie for 8 year olds? Parents beware.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bydavidmal770 November 5, 2011

Oddly rated. Not accurate at all.

I was surprised to see the rating on this one. Good for age 8 and above? I don't think so. And I love this movie. I just wouldn't let my 8 and 10 year old watch it. Should I be looking for Revenge of the Nerds or Weird Science in the list for age 8 and up too?
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 26, 2011

Families should only see the television version (censored)

Ok, simply this is a beautiful heart felt time traveling movie. Possibly the single greatest movie of the entire 1980s! It revolves around young man named Marty Mcfly who is considered by many to be a loser. He has a beautiful girl friend named Jennifer though that believes in him, yet Marty is truly down and out about his life. This all changes when his friend old Doc Brown invents a Time Machine out of a 1985 DELOREAN!! Doc Brown invented the time machine with his families fortune. Libyan terrorists show up and are trying to kill Doc Brown since Doc Brown needed stolen plutonium to power the time machine. Marty fearing for his life takes the time machine back to November 5th 1955. Upon reaching 1955 he realizes that he needs more plutonium to get back to 1985. The rest of the film is very interesting in that instead of the usual time traveling movie to get back home, Marty ends up preventing the single moment that his parents meet. Marty with the help of 1955 Doc Brown, spends the rest of the film trying to bring his parents back together and trying to get back to 1985. Overall this movie has a lot of heart and is very good spirited. Children under the age of 14 should not watch the dvd version (language), yet should watch the censored televison version. This version is perfect for the entire family! Overall a classic film that needs to be watched at least once in a person's life time! If you have children younger than 14 or 15 - (WATCH THE CENSORED VERSION ON TELEVISION)
Parent Written bytasele July 11, 2011

review totally down played language, what the review clams is "Occasional" I would say is frequent. Very disappointing. I am surprised nothing was mentioned on the movies rating
Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2011

Dumb movie!

Plenty of swearing!
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2011

Definitely okay for kids who understand not to use bad language.

Just a few profane words, like when Marty says, "Let's see if you b******s can go 90,". Really funny movie, great for kids 8 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEmmyEmmilly125 October 10, 2011

I haven't seen a better Sci-Fi than this one! :)))

Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bylkrs42 December 3, 2011

Too much profanity for elementary school kids.

This is a great movie franchise and hoped my kids could watch. I hadn't seen it in a while and forgot just how much profanity there was. It's not unlike most of the PG rated movies from the 80's where language was more of an issue. I had the mute button in hand and silenced some of the words as I had seen it so many times and remembered where it all was, and my throat hurts from coughing through the rest.
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2011

Terrific Movie

It's a great movie. That I recommend.
Parent Written by@@@ December 17, 2011

One of the best ever.

This film is never credited or mentioned, but is one of the best films of all time.
Kid, 10 years old June 13, 2011

THe best thing of time travel

Christopher LOrd and Michael J. Fox acted awesomely. Doc brown is shot by terrorists. many awesome curses. your 8 year old could like this. A great movie.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc January 7, 2011

Get back, Marty

For a child of the 80s, this movie never gets old. However, my main concern with showing this film to my children is...would they get it? Back To The Future is a very dated movie both in terms of the 80s culture as well as the 50s. The movie asks some pretty serious "what ifs", which I think can make for great table discussions: 1)What would you do if you could go back in time? 2)Who would you want to meet? The language is very typical of 80s PG movies (ex. The Goonies, Ghostbusters, or insert fav. 80s PG movie here). The standard by which those movies were rated is different from that of today. Parents understand that your children will have never seen a DeLorean; know products like Pepsi-Free or Kal Kan; or perhaps may not have even heard Huey Lewis and the News. And they most definitely will not get 50s references aka The Honeymooners, Chuck Berry, or know what a "spook" or "peckerwood" is. For a moment, I was concerned about having to explain the near oedipal complex between Marty and his teenage mother, but I think it's pretty safe and harmless. I think most of you will be concerned about the use of bad language and if it is, I'd advise you to wait until they're a little bit older.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

Best Movie!

Back to the Future is the best series around.
Kid, 12 years old September 6, 2011

BEST MOVIE EVER!

I love this movie to pieces and have memorized it from the beginning. It has swears words, but doesn't every movie these days. I think you should show this movie to your kids when they are matured enough to handle it because apperently you aren't. You blashpemeyed this perfectly good movie. I saw this movie when I was 8 years old and I understood it and could handle it and you as parnets can't. I understand you want to protect your children from swearing and other refrences in these movies, but you can have a conversation with them and you have to trust them. It's a classic 80's time travel Michael J. Fox movie. I love this movie and it is one of the best movies ever made!
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2011

My review

sc-fi action use. Some profanity.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater September 30, 2010

A time travel adventure for kids and adults too

I like this film. This is a must-see for Steven Speilberg fans and families alike. Also get The Goonies(1985) for more fun. I highly reccomeded it.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybobsax August 27, 2010

Not at all okay for 8 year-olds . Good for at least 10 and up.

This age rating should be changed. If this movie was made today it would get a PG-13 for the language and the attempted rape scene.
Adult Written byviewer68 May 10, 2010

Don't forget the attempted rape scene between the bully and the mom as a teenager. I also think the aspect of his mother coming onto him while he is in his underwear plus her constant lusting for him is disturbing and innapropriate for kids through young teens.
Adult Written byhshake April 9, 2008