All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Teen, 16 years old Written byIchabodCrane November 12, 2010

True classic!

Woah.This movie brings back alot of memories.If you havent seen the Back To The Future triology,I deffinately recommend them.Go and see it! Marty Mcfly and his friend 'Doc', are the time travelling buddies in this triology.You'll love it.
Parent Written bytasele July 11, 2011

review totally down played language, what the review clams is "Occasional" I would say is frequent. Very disappointing. I am surprised nothing was mentioned on the movies rating
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 27, 2010

OKAY FOR 10 AND UP

This movie is not as good as it's two sequels. It has language, and sexual content. Sometimes the a-word and the d-word are spoken. Sexual content is that a teen girl strips a teen boy to his underwear and shirt in his sleep. Also implied sex with Biff and Lorraine in the car, against Lorraine's wishes.
Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2009

good movie

good movie but a lot of language
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bySJMa September 13, 2013

I used to trust Common Sense...

I wrote this review a few weeks ago but somehow it seems to have gotten lost... At any rate, I can't BELIEVE the rating for this movie. The dating violence, the weed smoking, the drinking, the swearing... this is definitely NOT a movie I want my kids to see until they are at least 16 and we can have a serious talk about all these things. I used to recommend Common Sense wholeheartedly but after being misled by this review I will not do so again. Really sad about this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 July 14, 2013

what a great book/movie/magazine

this movie is great the only bad part is when biff tries to rape marty's mom.
Parent Written bythehappy May 19, 2012

more upsetting for kids than CSM suggests

I feel completely let down by common sense media with regard to the suggested age range of 8 for this film - there isn't just "suggested" unwanted sex... the scene involves a young woman shivering and crying for help as a guy has her held inside of a car and tells his pals it's not a "peep" show. she is terrified and he has her in lying down position. what am I supposed to tell my 8 year old that's all about?? No. it doesn't come to anything. But, I was very uncomfortable watching the scene with my 8 year old. I agree with other parents that the appropriate age for this film is at least 10. The cussing is rampant btw! The sexual innuendos between the characters are pretty strong
Parent Written byMike Amster July 21, 2011

8 years old......Really?!?!?

8 Years old ?!?!?!?!?! Not even taking the language into account or the graphic murder of Doc, who feels that a central plot theme that involves attempted date rape is appropriate movie for 8 year olds? Parents beware.
Kid, 12 years old September 6, 2010

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

As you can see from my photo, I LOVE back to the future!!! This is like, the best movie ever. Everyone should see the whole thing at least once in your lifetime, or else you have not truly lived. Okay,? Get that? WATCH IT!!!!!!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybobsax August 27, 2010

Not at all okay for 8 year-olds . Good for at least 10 and up.

This age rating should be changed. If this movie was made today it would get a PG-13 for the language and the attempted rape scene.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

Best Movie!

Back to the Future is the best series around.

Great!

A great movie. One shooting scene that is a little, um "iffy", to quote CSM. Be sure to see the sequels too.
Educator and Parent Written byAveril47 June 5, 2015

Funny Movie, but dated and language/sex issues

Hubs and I showed to kids last weekend since we had such great memories of seeing when we were younger. We did not remember the swearing or the attempted rape (mild, but confusing for sure)! Kids are 11, 8 and 7. Would say best for 12 & up, not under.
Written byAnonymous October 21, 2012

One of the best.

Terrific film, and very good for families to enjoy, for many years to come. This film hits every note listed above; it's educational about the culture in 1955, and 1985. It shows some racial intolerance in the fifties, and the way fear can always sway your decisions, and how you act. It has a tremendous message that no matter what, you should love your family and be thankful for what you have, because if you don't, it'll be gone. Marty turns out to be the role model in this movie, because he teaches his father, George, to follow his dreams, stand up for what he knows is right, and not let himself be walked over by bullies. He teaches his mother to not abuse alcohol, and that her life will be better without it, he tells her to control her sexual urges and save them for 'the one'. He even teaches Doc Brown to never give up, and that he will create an invention that works, and to continue on with his plans. He even teaches himself about being thankful for what you have, and that family is always the most important thing. There is goofy violence in the film, but nothing to the extent of realistic violence. Marty's mother has 'the hots for Marty' and finds him sexually attractive. She's often trying to seduce her unbeknownst son and failing. George is caught in the beginning spying on Marty's mother and almost gets hit by a car. For being an PG movie, there's a significant amount of swearing in the film, never reaching an 'f-bomb', but constantly hitting a certain four letter word for fecal matter. Being the 80s, products are found and mentioned everywhere from Pepsi, to television sets, to the infamous 'DeLorean'. As mentioned previously cigarettes and alcohol is mentioned through-out. One of the greatest in comedy, family films, science-fiction, drama, etc.
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2012

FANTASTIC FAMILY MOVIE

THIS IS A FANTASTIC MOVIE! Yes, there is a little sex and a little more languabombsge, but what a movie! Fantastic special effects and world class acting! The worst word was the S word. No F bombs. Please, let your kids watch it - It has fantasic role models and is very educational.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 17, 2012

Edgy 80's sci-fi-comedy icon is not for young kids

Robert Zemeckis's 1985 sci-fi blockbuster, Back to the Future, is still a almost universally adored film to this day. But, when I was young and I first saw it, I didn't get what the big deal was about it. Sure, it was funny. Sure, it was well made, had likable characters and had some good special effects for the time. So, what, you may ask, could be the problem? While it is funny the movie carries a almost completely one note joke throughout the movie that get's stale long before it ends. Also, while this may be considered a family movie today, and it most certainly was in 1985, this is not one movie that you should watch with the young ones, with a rather stupefying PG Rating being given to the film by the MPAA at the time, but, than again, this was a time when the MPAA allowed much more into their films than they do now, today. So, the reasons for the PG rating are as follows: There is very frequent profanity throughout the movie that ranges from mild to moderate, but, for the most part, it doesn't go too much over the line with it's use, but it still includes the usual words such as sh-t, h-ll, jesus christ, d-mn, b-tch, b-st-rd, cr-p, -ss and -ss-hole. Also, there is frequent crude sexual humor as well, with several instances of innuendo, crude humor and a fairly rough scene of attempted teenage rap near the end of the movie. And, finally, there is some intense action violence as well, with one very intense and action heavy sequence near the beginning of the movie. So, in conclusion, if you haven't seen this 80's classic in years, than I suggest to you that you should go check it out again, and re-watch it. But, just don't expect it to hold up as well as I thought it would.
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

drama science fiction

it was a great movie
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 26, 2011

Families should only see the television version (censored)

Ok, simply this is a beautiful heart felt time traveling movie. Possibly the single greatest movie of the entire 1980s! It revolves around young man named Marty Mcfly who is considered by many to be a loser. He has a beautiful girl friend named Jennifer though that believes in him, yet Marty is truly down and out about his life. This all changes when his friend old Doc Brown invents a Time Machine out of a 1985 DELOREAN!! Doc Brown invented the time machine with his families fortune. Libyan terrorists show up and are trying to kill Doc Brown since Doc Brown needed stolen plutonium to power the time machine. Marty fearing for his life takes the time machine back to November 5th 1955. Upon reaching 1955 he realizes that he needs more plutonium to get back to 1985. The rest of the film is very interesting in that instead of the usual time traveling movie to get back home, Marty ends up preventing the single moment that his parents meet. Marty with the help of 1955 Doc Brown, spends the rest of the film trying to bring his parents back together and trying to get back to 1985. Overall this movie has a lot of heart and is very good spirited. Children under the age of 14 should not watch the dvd version (language), yet should watch the censored televison version. This version is perfect for the entire family! Overall a classic film that needs to be watched at least once in a person's life time! If you have children younger than 14 or 15 - (WATCH THE CENSORED VERSION ON TELEVISION)
Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 22, 2011
Cool Movie Especially For Kids And Has Positive Messages Are Family Relationships! But The Violence Is Over The Top There Is A Scene Where Bullies Terrorize And Attack Marty Mcfly And He Screams And Runs From Them And They Run After Him And Then Try To Kill Him Not Bad! And There Is A Scene Where A Man Slaps Another Man In The Face And He Gets Hurt And A Man Bullies Another Man For Money And He Does Not Give Him Any! And Some Langauge Is Heard Including D--- And Son Of A B--- And Other Words! Some Stuff In This Movie Would Be Scary And Not Good For Young Kids to see Don't See This Unless You Can't Handle It!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOrlandoMom66 January 14, 2011
This movie has way too much bad language for young kids. Also, the scene where Biff is sexually attacking Lorraine in a parked car is not something you want to have to explain to your young child. There is also drinking and smoking (cigs and pot) in this film. Having said all that, it is a great movie for older children and adults.