All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2009

good movie

good movie but a lot of language
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byscaissie June 29, 2014

Sexual Assault and Language

I love this movie and thought it would be great for my 7 and 9 year old. Unfortunately, it had been a long time since I'd seen it. There's a scene where Biff is trying to sexually assault Marty's mom. That scene alone is enough to make this movie inappropriate for anyone under 13. There's also a lot more strong language than I'd like.
Parent Written bytasele July 11, 2011

review totally down played language, what the review clams is "Occasional" I would say is frequent. Very disappointing. I am surprised nothing was mentioned on the movies rating
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 27, 2010

OKAY FOR 10 AND UP

This movie is not as good as it's two sequels. It has language, and sexual content. Sometimes the a-word and the d-word are spoken. Sexual content is that a teen girl strips a teen boy to his underwear and shirt in his sleep. Also implied sex with Biff and Lorraine in the car, against Lorraine's wishes.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybobsax August 27, 2010

Not at all okay for 8 year-olds . Good for at least 10 and up.

This age rating should be changed. If this movie was made today it would get a PG-13 for the language and the attempted rape scene.
Educator and Parent Written byAveril47 June 5, 2015

Funny Movie, but dated and language/sex issues

Hubs and I showed to kids last weekend since we had such great memories of seeing when we were younger. We did not remember the swearing or the attempted rape (mild, but confusing for sure)! Kids are 11, 8 and 7. Would say best for 12 & up, not under.
Parent Written bythehappy May 19, 2012

more upsetting for kids than CSM suggests

I feel completely let down by common sense media with regard to the suggested age range of 8 for this film - there isn't just "suggested" unwanted sex... the scene involves a young woman shivering and crying for help as a guy has her held inside of a car and tells his pals it's not a "peep" show. she is terrified and he has her in lying down position. what am I supposed to tell my 8 year old that's all about?? No. it doesn't come to anything. But, I was very uncomfortable watching the scene with my 8 year old. I agree with other parents that the appropriate age for this film is at least 10. The cussing is rampant btw! The sexual innuendos between the characters are pretty strong
Adult Written byBacktothewall May 16, 2012

Perfect!

What the hell are the people on this baord on? There's nothing wrong with this movie, at all. It seems that when you were kid's it was perfectly okay for you to watch it, but now through your present eyes it's awful. Maybe it's just because you've gotten old! You parents lket you watch Back To The Future, do them a favor and let them see it too, at any age. It's a kid's movie, pre teenagers) and that would be perfectly okay if I was a parent. And for the record kat_marie Back To The Future would not be a PG-13 if released today, there's absolutley no question about that. The PG-13 certificate already existed for a year by the time this was released. They ratings board simply didn't want to deny kid's the chance to see a movie that was aimed at them. You're really going to turn your kid's into real cry babies if you molly coddle them as much as you do. And if you don't let them watch it in films, then they will hear it from their friends at school. Verdict: Back To The Future, suitable for people of ALL ages.
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

drama science fiction

it was a great movie
Parent Written byMike Amster July 21, 2011

8 years old......Really?!?!?

8 Years old ?!?!?!?!?! Not even taking the language into account or the graphic murder of Doc, who feels that a central plot theme that involves attempted date rape is appropriate movie for 8 year olds? Parents beware.
Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 22, 2011

Cool Movie Especially For Kids And Has Positive Messages Are Family Relationships! But The Violence Is Over The Top There Is A Scene Where Bullies Terrorize And Attack Marty Mcfly And He Screams And Runs From Them And They Run After Him And Then Try To Kill Him Not Bad! And There Is A Scene Where A Man Slaps Another Man In The Face And He Gets Hurt And A Man Bullies Another Man For Money And He Does Not Give Him Any! And Some Langauge Is Heard Including D--- And Son Of A B--- And Other Words! Some Stuff In This Movie Would Be Scary And Not Good For Young Kids to see Don't See This Unless You Can't Handle It!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOrlandoMom66 January 14, 2011

This movie has way too much bad language for young kids. Also, the scene where Biff is sexually attacking Lorraine in a parked car is not something you want to have to explain to your young child. There is also drinking and smoking (cigs and pot) in this film. Having said all that, it is a great movie for older children and adults.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

Best Movie!

Back to the Future is the best series around.

Great!

A great movie. One shooting scene that is a little, um "iffy", to quote CSM. Be sure to see the sequels too.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHalljanex April 9, 2008

Fun for older kids

I was surprized with the amount of bad language in the movie. It was non-stop. Also I was uncomfortable watching with my 11 year old daughter during the scene in which Biff is forcing himself on Michael J. Fox's mother in the car. Maybe it went over her head - I'm not sure. Other than those two things, the movie is really fun and it is so good to see Michael J. Fox at his physical best. I think this movie is better for 12 and up.
Parent Written byrachell2 November 16, 2014

This move is great, but nor for Eight Year olds.

Common Sense Media really missed the boat on this one. This is a great movie, but the language is terrible and there are way too many adult situations for an eight year old.
Parent Written byCatalyst42 May 9, 2014

Read the parent reviews! Don't trust the CSM rating

My daughter is confused and upset about the attempted date rape scene, and the swearing is constant throughout. Having spent the last hour explaining why biff wouldn't let her out when she didn't want a kiss, and would he really have broken George's arm, I would think twice before trusting CSM ratings. Next time I will be sure to read the parent reviews! Definitely not for an 8 year old and even older kids might find adult themes disturbing.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bySJMa September 13, 2013

I used to trust Common Sense...

I wrote this review a few weeks ago but somehow it seems to have gotten lost... At any rate, I can't BELIEVE the rating for this movie. The dating violence, the weed smoking, the drinking, the swearing... this is definitely NOT a movie I want my kids to see until they are at least 16 and we can have a serious talk about all these things. I used to recommend Common Sense wholeheartedly but after being misled by this review I will not do so again. Really sad about this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGreat gatsby August 7, 2013

Should be pg-13

Curses a bunch not way too much but a bunch of times amazingly awesome movie one of my favorite movies should be pg-13 for curse and maybe for action but not really bad for kids
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

One of the best movies ever! ever!! ever!!! ever!!!!

Great special effects and story as well as being incredibly funny. Awesome and entertaining.