All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2010

Perfect movie...except for the language

This is a great, fun, movie, and besides a brief shooting at the start, the violence is fine, the inappropriate content is mostly okay except for a brief scene at the end, but the main problem is the language: there's a LOT of it. Otherwise, it's a great movie.
Parent Written byMike Amster July 21, 2011

8 years old......Really?!?!?

8 Years old ?!?!?!?!?! Not even taking the language into account or the graphic murder of Doc, who feels that a central plot theme that involves attempted date rape is appropriate movie for 8 year olds? Parents beware.
Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 22, 2011

Cool Movie Especially For Kids And Has Positive Messages Are Family Relationships! But The Violence Is Over The Top There Is A Scene Where Bullies Terrorize And Attack Marty Mcfly And He Screams And Runs From Them And They Run After Him And Then Try To Kill Him Not Bad! And There Is A Scene Where A Man Slaps Another Man In The Face And He Gets Hurt And A Man Bullies Another Man For Money And He Does Not Give Him Any! And Some Langauge Is Heard Including D--- And Son Of A B--- And Other Words! Some Stuff In This Movie Would Be Scary And Not Good For Young Kids to see Don't See This Unless You Can't Handle It!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOrlandoMom66 January 14, 2011

This movie has way too much bad language for young kids. Also, the scene where Biff is sexually attacking Lorraine in a parked car is not something you want to have to explain to your young child. There is also drinking and smoking (cigs and pot) in this film. Having said all that, it is a great movie for older children and adults.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written byvolvomom November 13, 2010

I remember watching this movie multiple times as a teenager and loving it, however it was only after watching it with my girls that I was surprised by all the bad language. While I know those words are out there, we don't allow them in our home. I read the reviews and thought there would be two or three, but instead found them sprinkled throughout the film. It's a great movie with a fun plot and some funny scenes, but beware of the car scene where Biff makes unwanted advances toward Lorraine in the car. We did fast-forward through that part based on other reviews. If your kids are a little older, this might be okay, but if your kids are young you may want to wait with this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 27, 2010

OKAY FOR 10 AND UP

This movie is not as good as it's two sequels. It has language, and sexual content. Sometimes the a-word and the d-word are spoken. Sexual content is that a teen girl strips a teen boy to his underwear and shirt in his sleep. Also implied sex with Biff and Lorraine in the car, against Lorraine's wishes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

Best Movie!

Back to the Future is the best series around.

Great!

A great movie. One shooting scene that is a little, um "iffy", to quote CSM. Be sure to see the sequels too.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byscaissie June 29, 2014

Sexual Assault and Language

I love this movie and thought it would be great for my 7 and 9 year old. Unfortunately, it had been a long time since I'd seen it. There's a scene where Biff is trying to sexually assault Marty's mom. That scene alone is enough to make this movie inappropriate for anyone under 13. There's also a lot more strong language than I'd like.
Parent Written byCatalyst42 May 9, 2014

Read the parent reviews! Don't trust the CSM rating

My daughter is confused and upset about the attempted date rape scene, and the swearing is constant throughout. Having spent the last hour explaining why biff wouldn't let her out when she didn't want a kiss, and would he really have broken George's arm, I would think twice before trusting CSM ratings. Next time I will be sure to read the parent reviews! Definitely not for an 8 year old and even older kids might find adult themes disturbing.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bySJMa September 13, 2013

I used to trust Common Sense...

I wrote this review a few weeks ago but somehow it seems to have gotten lost... At any rate, I can't BELIEVE the rating for this movie. The dating violence, the weed smoking, the drinking, the swearing... this is definitely NOT a movie I want my kids to see until they are at least 16 and we can have a serious talk about all these things. I used to recommend Common Sense wholeheartedly but after being misled by this review I will not do so again. Really sad about this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGreat gatsby August 7, 2013

Should be pg-13

Curses a bunch not way too much but a bunch of times amazingly awesome movie one of my favorite movies should be pg-13 for curse and maybe for action but not really bad for kids
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

One of the best movies ever! ever!! ever!!! ever!!!!

Great special effects and story as well as being incredibly funny. Awesome and entertaining.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 July 14, 2013

what a great book/movie/magazine

this movie is great the only bad part is when biff tries to rape marty's mom.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski December 14, 2012

Sci-fi classic is still a great watch

Adult Written byBacktothewall May 16, 2012

Perfect!

What the hell are the people on this baord on? There's nothing wrong with this movie, at all. It seems that when you were kid's it was perfectly okay for you to watch it, but now through your present eyes it's awful. Maybe it's just because you've gotten old! You parents lket you watch Back To The Future, do them a favor and let them see it too, at any age. It's a kid's movie, pre teenagers) and that would be perfectly okay if I was a parent. And for the record kat_marie Back To The Future would not be a PG-13 if released today, there's absolutley no question about that. The PG-13 certificate already existed for a year by the time this was released. They ratings board simply didn't want to deny kid's the chance to see a movie that was aimed at them. You're really going to turn your kid's into real cry babies if you molly coddle them as much as you do. And if you don't let them watch it in films, then they will hear it from their friends at school. Verdict: Back To The Future, suitable for people of ALL ages.
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2012

FANTASTIC FAMILY MOVIE

THIS IS A FANTASTIC MOVIE! Yes, there is a little sex and a little more languabombsge, but what a movie! Fantastic special effects and world class acting! The worst word was the S word. No F bombs. Please, let your kids watch it - It has fantasic role models and is very educational.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 17, 2012

Edgy 80's sci-fi-comedy icon is not for young kids

Robert Zemeckis's 1985 sci-fi blockbuster, Back to the Future, is still a almost universally adored film to this day. But, when I was young and I first saw it, I didn't get what the big deal was about it. Sure, it was funny. Sure, it was well made, had likable characters and had some good special effects for the time. So, what, you may ask, could be the problem? While it is funny the movie carries a almost completely one note joke throughout the movie that get's stale long before it ends. Also, while this may be considered a family movie today, and it most certainly was in 1985, this is not one movie that you should watch with the young ones, with a rather stupefying PG Rating being given to the film by the MPAA at the time, but, than again, this was a time when the MPAA allowed much more into their films than they do now, today. So, the reasons for the PG rating are as follows: There is very frequent profanity throughout the movie that ranges from mild to moderate, but, for the most part, it doesn't go too much over the line with it's use, but it still includes the usual words such as sh-t, h-ll, jesus christ, d-mn, b-tch, b-st-rd, cr-p, -ss and -ss-hole. Also, there is frequent crude sexual humor as well, with several instances of innuendo, crude humor and a fairly rough scene of attempted teenage rap near the end of the movie. And, finally, there is some intense action violence as well, with one very intense and action heavy sequence near the beginning of the movie. So, in conclusion, if you haven't seen this 80's classic in years, than I suggest to you that you should go check it out again, and re-watch it. But, just don't expect it to hold up as well as I thought it would.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2012

A Great beginning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is so cool. The actors like Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Thomas Wilson, Lea Thomson, and Crispin Glover are outstanding. The plot is really good. There is plenty of action. The curse words make this movie even greater. Great, Amazing, and Awesome!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bylkrs42 December 3, 2011

Too much profanity for elementary school kids.

This is a great movie franchise and hoped my kids could watch. I hadn't seen it in a while and forgot just how much profanity there was. It's not unlike most of the PG rated movies from the 80's where language was more of an issue. I had the mute button in hand and silenced some of the words as I had seen it so many times and remembered where it all was, and my throat hurts from coughing through the rest.