'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 17, 2012

Edgy 80's sci-fi-comedy icon is not for young kids

Robert Zemeckis's 1985 sci-fi blockbuster, Back to the Future, is still a almost universally adored film to this day. But, when I was young and I first saw it, I didn't get what the big deal was about it. Sure, it was funny. Sure, it was well made, had likable characters and had some good special effects for the time. So, what, you may ask, could be the problem? While it is funny the movie carries a almost completely one note joke throughout the movie that get's stale long before it ends. Also, while this may be considered a family movie today, and it most certainly was in 1985, this is not one movie that you should watch with the young ones, with a rather stupefying PG Rating being given to the film by the MPAA at the time, but, than again, this was a time when the MPAA allowed much more into their films than they do now, today. So, the reasons for the PG rating are as follows: There is very frequent profanity throughout the movie that ranges from mild to moderate, but, for the most part, it doesn't go too much over the line with it's use, but it still includes the usual words such as sh-t, h-ll, jesus christ, d-mn, b-tch, b-st-rd, cr-p, -ss and -ss-hole. Also, there is frequent crude sexual humor as well, with several instances of innuendo, crude humor and a fairly rough scene of attempted teenage rap near the end of the movie. And, finally, there is some intense action violence as well, with one very intense and action heavy sequence near the beginning of the movie. So, in conclusion, if you haven't seen this 80's classic in years, than I suggest to you that you should go check it out again, and re-watch it. But, just don't expect it to hold up as well as I thought it would.
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

drama science fiction

it was a great movie
Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2011
Love it!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOrlandoMom66 January 14, 2011
This movie has way too much bad language for young kids. Also, the scene where Biff is sexually attacking Lorraine in a parked car is not something you want to have to explain to your young child. There is also drinking and smoking (cigs and pot) in this film. Having said all that, it is a great movie for older children and adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 June 23, 2010

AWESOMNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is like my favorite movie EVER!!!!!!!!!! I loved it so much I watch it 4 times. And my little brother watched it when he was 7 and he was fine. The gun thing was kind of iffy for young kids, but you CANNOT miss this movie NO MATTER WHAT!!!!
Adult Written byfanboy7.0 October 24, 2009

BEST MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND!

I LOVE BACK TO THE FUTURE! IT'S GOT ACTION! IT'S GOT ADVENTURE! IT'S GOT COMEDY! THE ULTIMATE MOVIE! GREAT SCOTT!
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2009

for 5 and up

I laughed at this movie, it is a great historic comedy for 5 and up!
Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2009

good movie

good movie but a lot of language
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHalljanex April 9, 2008

Fun for older kids

I was surprized with the amount of bad language in the movie. It was non-stop. Also I was uncomfortable watching with my 11 year old daughter during the scene in which Biff is forcing himself on Michael J. Fox's mother in the car. Maybe it went over her head - I'm not sure. Other than those two things, the movie is really fun and it is so good to see Michael J. Fox at his physical best. I think this movie is better for 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReaganJones February 9, 2016

"If You Put Your Mind to it, You Can Accomplish Anything!''

Back to the Future has many positive messages throughout the film. It is a movie that is perfect for the whole family, leaving you laughing in your seats as you watch Doc and Marty travel back to 1955, the year Marty McFly's parents were in Hill Valley High School. The movie has a few swear words, and uses of alcohol, but not anything your kids have not seen before. The film has a few adult jokes, but they will most likely go over kids heads as they are not too obvious. This movie is my favorite, and is truly a classic that your kids will love.
Adult Written byKermet November 15, 2015

Very good family movie

Back to the Future is an old movie so the rating might be a bit off today but nevertheless it is still very family friendly. Yes it might have some swear words here and there but it isn't like kids are going to go out and start using them because of one movie. Also things which aren't socially acceptable today may have been acceptable back then so you just have to keep that in mind. This isn't Spielberg's fault. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 7, 9, and 11 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 19, 2015

Good movie, strong language

I really like this movie, however the language is very strong. It should definitely be PG-13. If the language wasn't so offensive, it would've been much more enjoyable. We watched it on t.v. so thankfully some of the language was edited but most of it was still loud & clear.
Adult Written byjimmypage October 18, 2015

The best!

One of 80s' finest and funniest! Fun movie to watch, lots of swearing, but it's all just for laughs really. The pacing is fast, and the 50s scenes are really superb. Some might just find it disturbing to watch [SPOILER!] the protagonist's mother's infatuation to his son, [END OF SPOILER!], other than that, it's a great watch and one of the best time travelling movies I've ever seen!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJkaur123 October 18, 2015

AMAZING FILM

Since it's back to the future day in only THREE DAYS and you haven't given your child a chance to see it I think that's unacceptable. This film is one of my favourites and it's such an inspiring and creative film that all the family would love. It would be such an honourable film to watch on back to the future day and I think that everyone should get to see it on that very day. Apart from some crude humour and a bit of violence I think that even 7 year olds would be okay to watch this film with adult supervision. An absolute classic legend!! Highly recommend it.
Adult Written byMTheEpic October 11, 2015

Really don't get why people think it's so bad...

I see how it has bad language, but REALLY??? If it was released now, it would probably get PG still, unless the MPAA is stupid. If anything makes it inappropriate, it is the language, violence, and sexual content. But really, only twice does the sexual content worry me. It really is for 10 year olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 27, 2015

"Back to the Future" movie review

"Back to the Future" is my favorite comedy of all time. I generally prefer darker movies such as "The Godfather" or "The Departed". That being said, "Back to the Future" is nearly as good as those two pictures. "Back to the Future" is a hilarious and heartfelt story that is so entertaining to watch. The sense of adventure gives the audience a warm feeling. The characters are iconic. Marty McFly is one of the coolest movie characters ever. He is somewhat of a troublemaker who learns to be mature in the end. Doc Brown is hilarious and eccentric. The movie's theme is that intelligence beats brute force and strength. This means that everyone should stand up to bullying and do the right thing all the time. It is a brilliant theme that isn't done in a cliched manner. If I truly nitpick and deconstruct the story, I might find a few plotholes. However, I think this movie is more for entertainment than studying and analyzing. The music in this movie is excellent. The score by Alan Silvestri gives the sense of adventure the movie needs. Who can forget "The Power of Love" by Huey Luis? It is so memorable. "Back to the Future" was so good even Gene Siskel liked it. "Back to the Future" is one of my favorite films of the 1980s (3rd favorite right after "Die Hard" and "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back"). Robert Zemeckis did a phenomenal job directing one of the best comedy/adventure stories of all time. This is my favorite of his works. If you have not seen "Back to the Future", please watch it. This is a movie every person on Earth has to see, movie-fan or not.
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2015

We don't need roads

I saw this movie, and I liked it. You should really check it out.
Parent Written byrachell2 November 16, 2014

This move is great, but nor for Eight Year olds.

Common Sense Media really missed the boat on this one. This is a great movie, but the language is terrible and there are way too many adult situations for an eight year old.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski December 14, 2012

Sci-fi classic is still a great watch

Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bylkrs42 December 3, 2011

Too much profanity for elementary school kids.

This is a great movie franchise and hoped my kids could watch. I hadn't seen it in a while and forgot just how much profanity there was. It's not unlike most of the PG rated movies from the 80's where language was more of an issue. I had the mute button in hand and silenced some of the words as I had seen it so many times and remembered where it all was, and my throat hurts from coughing through the rest.