All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Adult Written byfanboy7.0 October 24, 2009

BEST MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND!

I LOVE BACK TO THE FUTURE! IT'S GOT ACTION! IT'S GOT ADVENTURE! IT'S GOT COMEDY! THE ULTIMATE MOVIE! GREAT SCOTT!
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byJoeNameth September 16, 2009

Fun for 12 and up

Entertaining .
Kid, 9 years old August 8, 2009

Wait untill you're eight!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! But there is a gunhail part at the beginning and some kissy/violent parts at the end. WAY to much swearing, though, whenever we see a movie my brother compares how many cuss words to how many cuss words are in Back to the Future.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2009

for 5 and up

I laughed at this movie, it is a great historic comedy for 5 and up!
Parent of a 7, 9, and 12 year old Written byM. Brown June 4, 2009

You should think twice before letting young kids view this

After reading that there were "bits of language," I was shocked at how often the language was objectionable. They used the Lord's name in vain frequently, and they used other profanities quite regularly throughout the movie. It was much worse than I had anticipated.
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written byLucan1010 January 5, 2016

Classic Time Travel Movie should be rated PG-13

Violence: Towards beginning of movie, character is shot by terrorists by gun (no blood, ends up being fine and unharmed). Some peril, as character may not exist anymore/time travel paradoxes. Some physical fights, none resulting in serious injury. Language: Upper level PG, low PG-13. Some usage of mild to moderate language including d*mn, h*ll, *ss, cr*p, sh*t. Sex: Very high for PG, should be PG-13. Various allusions and suggestions of sex, especially making it seem normal among teens(however none is shown and allusions are mostly vague). Boy seen briefly in underwear. Girl begins to undress in car, wanting to have sex (guy doesn't want to, since its his mother in the past, girl still remains clothed). However, the worst materiel is when the girl is almost raped by another guy (however it's stopped shortly after and doesn't go beyond forced kissing).
Teen, 15 years old Written byadam-l-00 December 31, 2015

Amazing

A great film and a classic family adventure. This is a story that children should see from a fairly older age, to appreciate the themes and plot.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2015

Great movie for older kids!

This a fun, family friendly movie with a great plot and plenty of action. I watched this movie when I was 10, and my brother saw it when he was 8. The violence in this movie is not all that bad, but there is a lot of language. Romantic stuff, etc. is OK, for example Marty's mom falls in love with Marty, Marty kisses his girlfriend in "present time" but that's about it. This is one of my favorite movies!
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 17, 2015

Excellent

Great Choice for nearly all the Family.
Adult Written bygoodgirl November 16, 2015

before the internet we had Back To The Future.

I love this movie. its about time travel and its very enjoyable. rated PG-13 yes for language . not for young kids . 10 and up its fine. I was born in 1985 and this is a great movie!!!
Adult Written byKermet November 15, 2015

Very good family movie

Back to the Future is an old movie so the rating might be a bit off today but nevertheless it is still very family friendly. Yes it might have some swear words here and there but it isn't like kids are going to go out and start using them because of one movie. Also things which aren't socially acceptable today may have been acceptable back then so you just have to keep that in mind. This isn't Spielberg's fault. Highly recommended.
Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2015

Amazing movie

It is an amazing movie with great features. My only concern is the swearing and violence for younger children. When we got the trilogy it was rated PG but had quite a few swear words in it and a lot of violence . Otherwise it is one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Educator and Parent Written bynbishop October 25, 2015

Great movie---except for blasphemous language and date rape attempt. Should be PG-13.

I love Common Sense Media and always use it to pick movies for my kids and even use it when we show movies at school to be sure they are OK- even if rated G. Common Sense Media works!! I am disappointed. though, that on the list of bad language used in this movie, that "God d--- i-" was not on the list . That language is never OK and I need to know if it is used in a movie. It is used twice in this movie. I also think that Biff was attempting sexual assault - date rape is a serious and violent crime. Marty intervenes, but young children should not be exposed to this content. If this movie was rates in 2015, it would certainly be PG-13.
Kid, 12 years old October 25, 2015

Great movie with violence and cussing

This movie is a classic and a great, funny movie, but has major cussing and some violence. There is a fatal shooting and an assault on a high school girl. A man slams his hand in a trunk and a lot of blood is shown. This is a great movie if you are 12+.
Adult Written byjimmypage October 18, 2015

The best!

One of 80s' finest and funniest! Fun movie to watch, lots of swearing, but it's all just for laughs really. The pacing is fast, and the 50s scenes are really superb. Some might just find it disturbing to watch [SPOILER!] the protagonist's mother's infatuation to his son, [END OF SPOILER!], other than that, it's a great watch and one of the best time travelling movies I've ever seen!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJkaur123 October 18, 2015

AMAZING FILM

Since it's back to the future day in only THREE DAYS and you haven't given your child a chance to see it I think that's unacceptable. This film is one of my favourites and it's such an inspiring and creative film that all the family would love. It would be such an honourable film to watch on back to the future day and I think that everyone should get to see it on that very day. Apart from some crude humour and a bit of violence I think that even 7 year olds would be okay to watch this film with adult supervision. An absolute classic legend!! Highly recommend it.
Adult Written byMTheEpic October 11, 2015

Really don't get why people think it's so bad...

I see how it has bad language, but REALLY??? If it was released now, it would probably get PG still, unless the MPAA is stupid. If anything makes it inappropriate, it is the language, violence, and sexual content. But really, only twice does the sexual content worry me. It really is for 10 year olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydkasal000 September 18, 2015
Great but some swearing. swearing is frequent to occasional and sometimes strong but a must see for preteens
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 27, 2015

Back to the Future movie review

"Back to the Future" is my favorite comedy of all time. I generally prefer darker movies such as "The Godfather" or "The Departed". That being said, "Back to the Future" is nearly as good as those two pictures. "Back to the Future" is a hilarious and heartfelt story that is so entertaining to watch. The sense of adventure gives the audience a warm feeling. The characters are iconic. Marty McFly is one of the coolest movie characters ever. He is somewhat of a troublemaker who learns to be mature in the end. Doc Brown is hilarious and eccentric. The movie's theme is that intelligence beats brute force and strength. This means that everyone should stand up to bullying and do the right thing all the time. It is a brilliant theme that isn't done in a cliched manner. If I truly nitpick and deconstruct the story, I might find a few plotholes. However, I think this movie is more for entertainment than studying and analyzing. The music in this movie is excellent. The score by Alan Silvestri gives the sense of adventure the movie needs. Who can forget "The Power of Love" by Huey Luis? It is so memorable. "Back to the Future" was so good even Gene Siskel liked it. "Back to the Future" is one of my favorite films of the 1980s (3rd favorite right after "Die Hard" and "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back"). Robert Zemeckis did a phenomenal job directing one of the best comedy/adventure stories of all time. This is my favorite of his works. If you have not seen "Back to the Future", please watch it. This is a movie every person on Earth has to see, movie-fan or not.