All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byJoeNameth September 16, 2009

Fun for 12 and up

Entertaining .
Kid, 9 years old August 8, 2009

Wait untill you're eight!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! But there is a gunhail part at the beginning and some kissy/violent parts at the end. WAY to much swearing, though, whenever we see a movie my brother compares how many cuss words to how many cuss words are in Back to the Future.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2009

for 5 and up

I laughed at this movie, it is a great historic comedy for 5 and up!
Parent of a 7, 9, and 12 year old Written byM. Brown June 4, 2009

You should think twice before letting young kids view this

After reading that there were "bits of language," I was shocked at how often the language was objectionable. They used the Lord's name in vain frequently, and they used other profanities quite regularly throughout the movie. It was much worse than I had anticipated.
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2009
Kid, 9 years old July 4, 2016

Good Movie, Some Inappropriate Things

Back to the Future is a great classic, but contains uses of shit, bastard, I think Damn and Hell and definitely Bitch. It`s less heavy with swearing than Pixels, but also contains some inappropriate parts. Like 1, Marty`s Dad appears on a tree looking at a girl taking off her clothes. Also, Marty`s Mom drinks some alcohol in the movie. Oh, and some people have guns and they shoot from above a car. Doc Brown is shot by the bullets.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOneforthemoney July 3, 2016

Overall good.

Pretty appropriate. Only two quarrels with it. One is the language. If you know your kids won't use it , it's fine. But they cuss a lot. The other thing is the sex. There is a scene where Marty's dad is peeping on his future wife. Then when Marty decides to rape his future mom to make her marry her dad (watch the movie to understand the plot) and it starts to go to plan. Right as Marty is about to decide that there is another way, Bif shoves Marty out of the way and begins to rape her, while Bif's crew drags Marty away. Later Marty's future dad confronts Bif. Bif tells the future dad to slowly walk away. We see that Bif has his hand up Marty's future mom's dress, and the mom is groaning. She yells at the dad to save her. If your kids are clueless about sex, the scene probably won't bother them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLemonJuice April 18, 2016

Don't worry too much about the language....

If you're a parent, I have some bad news to break to you. All the words that you think this movie introduced to your precious little children are things they've heard over and over if they go to public school. Believe me, once they've hit fourth or fifth grade, they probably know just about every word in the book. If nothing else, there's social media. As for the sexual content... if they've watched the news, they've probably got the general idea already that sometimes stuff like this happens. As my grandmother says, all that keeping your children bubbled up does is make it ten times worse when they get out. Some discretion is warranted, sure, but your kids'll probably see worse given their own devices soon enough....
Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2016

Love it

This is a great action packed movie. It has a good bit of swearing, Doctor Brown says d--n, 3 times. There is also a good bit of drug use/
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysmartspork March 5, 2016

Great Family Movie!

I have a 9 year old (only child) so she is bit more mature and is around adult conversations more than kids her age therefore this movie was fine to watch with her. Parts that involved assumed sex I just talked to her about it and she was fine. I would say any 10 year old would be okay to watch this movie!
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2016

A timeless 80s classic!

This is probably Robert Zemeckis at his best. The film is great and very entertaining to watch. The reason I gave this film a +11 rating is because their is language and sex. Their are uses of words such as, s--t, son of a bit--, hell, bast---, a--, a--hole, and damn. Marty's mother falls in love with his son and she flirts about him. Biff try's to rape Lorraine in a car. And there is some unwanted sex. Other than that the film is amazing!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygregguy February 14, 2016

Great Movie for tweens and up

This 1985 classic movie is a great movie that tweens and up will enjoy. The word Sh*t is said several times throughout the movie and there are a few other words that are said throughout that parents may not want kids to hear, the f word is not one of them though. There are some references made to sex and the main character is seen in his underwear. It is a good movie though that everyone one should definitely see.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReaganJones February 9, 2016

"If You Put Your Mind to it, You Can Accomplish Anything!''

Back to the Future has many positive messages throughout the film. It is a movie that is perfect for the whole family, leaving you laughing in your seats as you watch Doc and Marty travel back to 1955, the year Marty McFly's parents were in Hill Valley High School. The movie has a few swear words, and uses of alcohol, but not anything your kids have not seen before. The film has a few adult jokes, but they will most likely go over kids heads as they are not too obvious. This movie is my favorite, and is truly a classic that your kids will love.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLucan1010 January 5, 2016

Classic Time Travel Movie should be rated PG-13

Violence: Towards beginning of movie, character is shot by terrorists by gun (no blood, ends up being fine and unharmed). Some peril, as character may not exist anymore/time travel paradoxes. Some physical fights, none resulting in serious injury. Language: Upper level PG, low PG-13. Some usage of mild to moderate language including d*mn, h*ll, *ss, cr*p, sh*t. Sex: Very high for PG, should be PG-13. Various allusions and suggestions of sex, especially making it seem normal among teens(however none is shown and allusions are mostly vague). Boy seen briefly in underwear. Girl begins to undress in car, wanting to have sex (guy doesn't want to, since its his mother in the past, girl still remains clothed). However, the worst materiel is when the girl is almost raped by another guy (however it's stopped shortly after and doesn't go beyond forced kissing).
Teen, 15 years old Written byadam-l-00 December 31, 2015

Amazing

A great film and a classic family adventure. This is a story that children should see from a fairly older age, to appreciate the themes and plot.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2015

Great movie for older kids!

This a fun, family friendly movie with a great plot and plenty of action. I watched this movie when I was 10, and my brother saw it when he was 8. The violence in this movie is not all that bad, but there is a lot of language. Romantic stuff, etc. is OK, for example Marty's mom falls in love with Marty, Marty kisses his girlfriend in "present time" but that's about it. This is one of my favorite movies!
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 17, 2015

Excellent

Great Choice for nearly all the Family.
Adult Written bygoodgirl November 16, 2015

before the internet we had Back To The Future.

I love this movie. its about time travel and its very enjoyable. rated PG-13 yes for language . not for young kids . 10 and up its fine. I was born in 1985 and this is a great movie!!!
Adult Written byKermet November 15, 2015

Very good family movie

Back to the Future is an old movie so the rating might be a bit off today but nevertheless it is still very family friendly. Yes it might have some swear words here and there but it isn't like kids are going to go out and start using them because of one movie. Also things which aren't socially acceptable today may have been acceptable back then so you just have to keep that in mind. This isn't Spielberg's fault. Highly recommended.
Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2015

Amazing movie

It is an amazing movie with great features. My only concern is the swearing and violence for younger children. When we got the trilogy it was rated PG but had quite a few swear words in it and a lot of violence . Otherwise it is one of the best movies I have ever seen.