All member reviews for Back to the Future

'80s time-travel favorite has laughs, romance, action.

Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2015

Very good but lots of swearing

The movie is great, but there was a lot of bad language. My family and I were surprised at how many swear words were used. Also, there was one scene that we thought was VERY inappropriate for kids under 14, or maybe even older, where Biff tries to force himself onto Lorraine. Other than that, it was an amazing movie and it was funny to see what people were like back in 1985 and 1955.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byBuckyD May 16, 2015

Movie is awesome, but question-provoking for tweens

I was in my early teens when this movie first came out, and absolutely loved it. I must have watched it when it came onto cable TV 20 times. The storyline about making good choices and the positive consequences of rising to meet challenges is well done and something I wanted my almost-10 year old daughter to see in a fun way. I knew the language was iffy and the storyline with the "terrorists" was going to be a bit hard to understand ("Mom, what's plutonium?" "Why are they going after that scientist with that large gun-thing?"), but she hears that language at school and in semi-bleeped pop songs that she listens to on the radio, and the news has far more sinister talk about terrorism and dying than this movie could ever present. Those pop songs on the radio also have all sorts of veiled references to bodies being together, making out, drinking, and watching women in various states of undress, so many of the scenes called out in other reviews are not such a big deal to my daughter (peeping tom, camping at the lake together, mom having the 'hots'). I've had to already do some age-appropriate explaining about healthy relationships around the *stuff* played on the radio -- that stuff in the movie was minor. No, the real difficulty as we watched the movie was trying to answer questions about the scene at the dance where Biff is attacking Marty's mom in the car. Despite having spent the last 6 years talking about "healthy touch", "no secrets from Mom", and "private parts are private" with her, she was definitely disturbed at this scene. I did have to stop it and explain how he was trying to "touch her privates" and she needed to fight back hard and did the right thing by asking George for help when he happened upon it. So, given that I had already been laying the groundwork for avoiding sexual assault with my daughter (yes, unfortunately we live in a world that this is something to worry about), I was able to move through that scene with her. Honestly, after witnessing her reaction to that scene unfolding, I probably should have waited another year to watch this movie with her, and I am really glad that she wasn't watching this alone or just with friends. But, given the groundwork I've already done to protect her from real-life situations, overall it was okay and she took the main message from the movie. I disagree with CSM's "ON" for 8 years old based on the sexual assault scene alone. I would "PAUSE" for 8-10 and be "ON" for 11 -- and the pause decision really depends on how much the parent has laid the groundwork for bullying behaviors and "unwanted touch" vs. shielding them entirely from that issue.
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor May 14, 2015

I think that this is the world's best movie ever made. This is so entertaining and so much the idea of ​​containing

This movie have some violence and swearing and very mild comic sexuality and rape.
Kid, 8 years old April 17, 2015

A must-see family movie

A great movie for kids aged twelve and over, children under twelve will feel quite tense in some scary scenes. A lot of bad language and some mild violence. Just remember, all of the scary things in back to the future and other action movies are all just special effects. These days they can make it look like crazy things are happening with amazing stunts. like in Back to the future when Marty Mcfly punches horrible bully, Biff in the face. Some sexual scenes and speech, some young children will feel uncomfortable with these scenes.
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2015

One of my favorite movies

I highly recommend this movie.
Adult Written bybeyourowndensity March 19, 2015

FANTASTIC!

I first watched Back to the Future around June 2013, after years of people being appalled whenever I said I'd never seen it. It has since become my favourite movie, /by far/. There are some great messages about believing in yourself, having the motivation to make things happen for yourself, friendship, love, not giving in to peer pressure (in the sequels) -- "if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." I love all of the characters (even Biff, who I love to HATE. And I may or may not have a crush on Marty McFly...), brought to life by some brilliant performances, most notably from Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd who have the chemistry that make their friendship believable despite the age difference. I love all three movies in the trilogy, but this one is my favourite. BUT MY GOODNESS, IT SHOULD NOT BE A PG. Several uses of "sh**", "damn", "ba***rd", a couple of "SOBs", and a few religious exclamations (I'm not offended by them, but others might be). There's some flirting and kissing between Marty and his girlfriend Jennifer which isn't too bad; but they were planning a camping trip that he didn't tell his parents about, and he mentions that his mother would disapprove and he'd "get the standard lecture about she never did that stuff as a kid". I think older viewers will see what that might be implying, but this will probably go right over kids' heads -- so it's harmless enough. But then there's the whole mother-unknowingly-getting-a-crush-on-her-future-son thing, squeezing his leg, removing his pants while he's sleeping (we get a brief shot of Marty in his underwear), Biff attempting to rape Lorraine and his lecherous advances prior, Marty's somewhat iffy plan to pretend to "take advantage" of Lorraine in order to get his parents to fall in love (but he ultimately can't go through with it), George being a "peeping tom" (we see a woman (implied to be Lorraine) in her underwear from a distance). The violence isn't really that terrible, apart from somebody getting gunned down, which isn't very explicit, and a couple of punches thrown. But some scenes may be frightening for younger viewers, like Doc getting shot, Marty almost fading from existence, the attempted rape. But all of these have positive outcomes and there is a happy ending. There's some drinking, smoking (I approve of how Marty definitely doesn't like Lorraine doing this, which gives the message that smoking is bad), the Starlighters emerge from a car with lots of smoke billowing out, which is implied to be marijuana. But kids most likely won't know what "reefer addicts" means, so they'll think that it's just tobacco smoke. All in all, I think that this movie is fine for children aged 12 and up. If Back to the Future had been released today, it would have landed a solid 12 rating (UK equivalent to PG-13) and NOT a PG. What were they thinking in the 80's?? But I absolutely ADORE the movie and the following two. I wish Back to the Future a happy 30th anniversary, and I shall be looking forward to the 21st October, 2015. If you have seen Part II you will know what this means. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byEgb426 March 11, 2015

Enjoyable but not for kids 12 and under

I watched this movie when I turned 13 and I loved it. The only things are... There are 30+ swear words (not any f-bombs though) One of Marty's relatives is in jail(not a major part of the plot) Marty's mother drinks vodka at the kitchen table One of the characters gets shot several times (No blood they are just throw back and shown on the ground) Martys Dad peeps on martys mom through a window (she is not fully nude I believe she is topless with a bra on) Martys mother falls in love with him and talks about his underwear in a scene (not really an issue) Marty talks about "taking advantage" of his mother (which he attempts later) Biff (the bully) is show multipal times ruffling a girls skirt and trying to reach up it Biff later beats up marty and gets in his car with martys mom and is later shown her screaming for help and him kissing her with his arm up her skirt Doc is electrocuted (in a comical manner) There is an inappropriate poster at the end (I didn't notice until someone told me) It is hard for someone to want to watch a movie after someone else points out all it's flaws, but trust me when I say this is a great iconic humorous 80s film. Just, if you have children, make sure they are mature enough for its content
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byjanajana February 27, 2015

Trilogy Version has VERY Inappropriate language

I don't see many other reviews that note this, but the trilogy version of this movie has terrible language. Not only does it contain all the words that are already mentioned in these reviews, it also has GD twice! The scene in which it is spoken the second time is mentioned here in another review--"i don't think I should swear. yes, GD, George, you should swear." I was mortified as my 10 year old listened. Even she was offended. Other versions of the film may not have this from what I'm reading from other reviews, but this one does. The movie itself, aside from the language and possibly the potential sexual assault in the car scene, is actually really good and entertaining, you just have to know to mute it on the words and fast forward the assault scene.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 February 15, 2015

Wow, age ratings can be very lenient in the 80's.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 16, 2015

one of my all time favorites since I was 9.

I first saw this movie when I was really young and didn't understand it. I then rented it at blockbuster when I was 9 and it's been my second favorite universal pictures movie behind Jurassic park ever since. This movie does have some language though and theare is barely any sex exept for a scene wheare buff apparently rapes Lorain. Not much is shown though and it did fly right over my head when I was younger. If your kid is 9 or older they need to see this movie. Just make sure they don't repeat the bad words.
Kid, 10 years old December 26, 2014

A bit of swearing

This is a good film but the swearing is mostly the problem
Teen, 13 years old Written bycscrufty December 21, 2014

Great movie but language almost everywhere!

This is a great sci-fi movie. Although, THIS IS NOT FOR 8 YEAR OLDS. COME ON PEOPLE! Almost every sentence they say has bad language in it.
Written byAnonymous December 7, 2014

80's time travel classic is good for tweens+

This 80's classic is iffy in language, violence, (guns are used sometimes and there is also punching) drug content (at one part a girl smokes and drinks) and "kissy-kissy". But all in all it's an 80's classic that all tweens and teens should watch.
Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2014

Amazing movie, some swearing, some implied romance

This movie is a classic comedy movie. There are a few swear words, and some implied romance, such as peeping toms, and some gunfire, but this is still a family-friendly movie.
Parent Written byrachell2 November 16, 2014

This move is great, but nor for Eight Year olds.

Common Sense Media really missed the boat on this one. This is a great movie, but the language is terrible and there are way too many adult situations for an eight year old.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byColumbiaMDMom November 1, 2014

Great movie -- with caveats for young viewers

We just watched this movie this evening with our two sons and it elicited such a combination of reactions. Over all, we really enjoyed it. It was critical though that our kids were old enough for it. My older son saw it once when he was 5 and we had to turn it right off -- it was too disturbing. The disturbing part was Biff, the bully in the lives of this family for 30 years. And, yes, Biff was clearly about to sexually assault one character, and was only stopped when young George McFly appears and the Lea Thompson character cries for help. In an earlier scene, Biff intimidates George into doing his homework for him. At our kids ages, we could use this as a discussion topic -- is Biff being a bully? My younger son is beginning middle school; I would be concerned about exposing this to a younger child. There was a fair amount of strong language, but given the context I didn't see this as a big problem (though I would have preferred somewhat else.) Interestingly, at one point a mentor encouraging George to stand up to his bully says yes, you should use that swear word. Okay, given those caveats, the rest is good. A chance to see a young Michael J. Fox at the start of his movie career, as well as Christopher Lloyd (who I have to credit as perfect for this role even if he's not an exemplary human being.) A fun, time travel theme -- can what we do when we travel to the past change the future? A lovely performance by Lea Thompson as Michael J. Fox's mother. An enduring message -- you need to stand up for yourself. And a ponderable of how seemingly unimportant occurrences can have a big effect in your life. What if Marty McFly's parents had never gone to that dance all the way back -- they may never have fallen in love. It made my husband and I reflect what if we had never gone to the party where we had met?
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2014

Pretty good time travel movie

Some uses of s**t
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2014

A blast!

This film is so much fun! I love it! Unfortunately, there's some bad language. Aside from that, it's super creative, not too confusing, and a whole lot of fun!
Teen, 13 years old Written byzazzithecat September 20, 2014

A classic! Slow pacing though

Very good movie, but it takes a while to get going in the beginning. The slow pacing might be a bit too much for some kids but it was alright. A few uses of "son of a b---ch" and "oh s--t" but really not that much of all. No really scary scenes and the violence only goes as far as punching. It was neat how it played with time in an easy to follow manner. 11 and up should see this movie because it is a real classic!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJondellstian September 1, 2014

Not for kids

Look. I love the movie, but it is not appropriate for Tweens. Biff practically rapes McFly's mom. Also, the way his mom comes onto McFly (not knowing he is her son of course) is really too hot and heavy. Young tween girls who see the movie may believe that is appropriate behavior toward a boy she likes. Either don't let your Tweens watch it, or be ready to explain some things you may not be ready to explain. Also, there is casual drinking, drinking and driving seems appropriate, and smoking is seen as cool.